The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 04-29-2019, 09:16 AM
Um Actually oil outlaw

Pronouns: He/Him
Default Purple Monkey Dishwasher 4-2-1: Let's Play Decrypto!

Hey everyone!

I'm bored, and Decrypto is cool, and I think ya'll might dig it too, so I'm gonna try and run a forum game of it and see how it goes!

Decrypto is a word game played in 2 teams. Each team has a set of four random words associated with numbers, and then has to convey orderings of those numbers to their teammates with vague clues. So, for instance, if my team's words were 1 - "Olive", 2 - "Ketchup", 3 - "Photograph", 4 - "Game", and I needed to tell them 4-2-1, then I might say "Table - Corn Dog - Food". If they don't manage to figure out the correct code, then they mark a failure. Two failures loses the game, so don't make your clues too vague!

However, the other team, which is doing the same thing, also hears all of the clues but doesn't know the words. So the goal of each team is to guess the other team's code each round by tracking their previous clues to try and figure out what the words might be. So don't make your clues too obvious! The first team to correctly get two of the opposing team's codes before f-ing up two of their own wins. It's that simple!

The full rules PDF can be found here for anyone interested, but that really is most of what you need to know to play. Now, since this is a play by forum game of it, obviously I'm going to need to make a few tweaks to the rules as written, which I'll outline in a follow-up post, but for now, what I need are players.

Decrypto can support as many players as you like, really, but ideally we want teams of equal size, and I think teams of more than four each would get too unwieldy (not that I think we're likely to have enough interest to make that an issue), so I'm looking for 4-8 people to play, and ideally an even number of them. Sign-ups are first come, first serve (post in the thread!), although I'd politely suggest that anyone who has played before might want to defer to anyone who hasn't.

So, who wants to try their hand at code-breaking?

Old 04-29-2019, 09:29 AM
Um Actually oil outlaw

Default Sequence of Play

So I've had to make a few executive decisions about how this will work for forum play. Foremost among those is the limits/mechanics of team discussion. I considered setting up quicktopics or group PMs and whatnot for private team discussions, but after giving it some thought I've decided that it'll be less bother and more entertaining for spectators to read if we don't have any secret communication at all. So rule #1 is:

All communication will be public. No private chatter about the game.

Given that, here is the general forum order of play:
  1. I'll begin each game by PM-ing each team their ordered list of 4 words. This is the only information that will not be public.
  2. An Encryptor from each team will be chosen. Volunteers are welcome for round 1, but after that the role will rotate through the other team members.
  3. I will PM Team 1's Encryptor their first code.
  4. Team 1's Encryptor will post their clues in the thread, but are otherwise not allowed to post that round.
  5. (Skip this step round one) Team 2 will discuss publicly and then make a guess publicly. The success of this guess will not yet be revealed.
  6. Team 1 will discuss publicly and then make a guess publicly.
  7. I will reveal the correct answer and dole out good/bad tokens as appropriate.
  8. Repeat steps 3-7 with the teams reversed.
  9. Repeat steps 2-8 until we have a winner.
I'll endeavour to keep the first post of each game updated with the results of each round so that the teams can refer back to it in their discussions. Feel free to remind me if I forget!

Last edited by JBear; 04-29-2019 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Re-thought Encryptor Specifics
Old 04-29-2019, 09:39 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he

Yes please.

Decrypto is the natural evolution of Codenames as far as I'm concerned.
Old 04-29-2019, 09:42 AM
Um Actually oil outlaw

Default Detailed Rules for Encryptors

First, just as a general reminder: the goal is to be clear enough that your team will be able to figure out the code, but not so clear that the other team will be able to as well. Remember that your team knows the list of keywords, while the other team doesn't, and ideally you'd like to keep it that way! Notably, however, the other team does not actually have to guess any keywords to win; just vaguely gaining an understanding of the concept in each position may well be sufficient!

Now, the actual rules for clues:
  • Clues can be as long or as short as you want, although one or two words is the norm.
  • Make the ordering and separation of your clues clear. You want a clear Clue #1, Clue #2, and Clue #3.
  • Clues must refer to the meaning of the words. No funny business around spelling, rhyming, the size of the word, etc. Treat these as concepts, not words.
  • Clues must rely on public information. Obscure public information is fine, but no "Hey, remember that time we got drunk? The thing I ate that night that I probably shouldn't have." The idea is that the other team should have a hope of actually making headway.
  • No editing your clues! Once you make a post, it's set in stone, and you're done contributing to the thread until it's time for you to submit new clues.
  • No re-using clues! You probably wouldn't want to anyway, though? That would be pretty easy for the other team to guess!
  • You cannot type out any of the keywords, including in your clues, even in an unrelated clue. So if keyword word #1 is "Cat" and #2 is "Pet", you can't use "Cat" as a clue for #2 (nor should you, probably). Synonyms are fine, though, so "Not-as-good-Dog" is A-okay!
Old 04-29-2019, 10:16 AM
Um Actually oil outlaw

Default Detailed Rules for Everyone Else

There's pretty much just the one, really. As stated up-thread: no private discussions. You're going to have to discuss the clues and decide on your guesses as a team. Towards that end, no secret codes or hand-shakes or whatever to have hidden messages. The intention is that the other team can see everything that you're saying! Given that, I very much suggest that you not use any of your keywords in your discussions, although there's no rule against it!

As to what you'll be discussing, that's up to you, but suggested topics include "what they hell were they thinking last round?" and "I wonder what the other team's words are?" There's no formal rules on phase length or anything, so just have a discussion as a team and, once you've decided on a guess, have someone post that guess in bold and we'll move on to the next phase.

Let's see, what else have I forgotten...

Note that it's entirely possible to get the same code two rounds in a row, so don't panic if you're an Encryptor and this happens, and don't assume that it won't happen when you're guessing.

Ah, and let's talk about end-game. I touched on it briefly earlier, but there are 3 events that can trigger the end of the game:
  • If, at the end of a full round, a team has successfully guessed the other team's code twice, then they win.
  • If, at the end of a full round, a team has screwed up their own code twice, then they lose.
  • If, at the end of round 8, neither of those conditions has been met, we move on to the tie-breaking rules...
There are 4 events that can lead to a tie-breaker:
  • Both teams trigger their win condition in the same round.
  • Both teams trigger their loss condition in the same round.
  • A team triggers both its win and loss conditions in the same round.
  • Neither team wins or loses after 8 rounds.
The tie-breaking rules are as follows:

A successful guess of an enemy code is worth 1 point, while a screwed up guess of your own code is worth -1 point. Tally up the points that way, and the team with the most points is the winner. If that still results in a tie, then each team is given a chance to guess the opposing team's keywords. The team with the most correct guesses is the winner. If that still results in a tie, then I delete the thread in a huff and never look back.

Oh, and if you're been following along as I wrote these posts, note that I went back and edited the sequence of play a bit after first posting it.

Okay, I think that should be about everything. Let me know if I've forgotten anything, or if anyone has any questions!
Old 04-29-2019, 10:34 AM
Rogue Robot

Pronouns: he / him

Two hashes walk into a bar, one was a salted.

I'm in.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:56 AM
Holy Swine

I'd like to play!
Old 05-02-2019, 09:04 PM
earthquake ace

Pronouns: Any

01001001 00100111 01101101 00100000 01101001 01101110
I'm in

also i promise to neither use binary nor white text when playing
Old 05-03-2019, 08:44 AM
Um Actually oil outlaw

Alright, well that gets us to critical mass, at least. Ideally I'd like 6, or else the thread isn't going to be very entertaining to read, since no one will have anyone that they're allowed to talk to, so I'm going to give this until Monday and then start then with 4 if that's all we've got.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:31 AM
Um Actually oil outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
Alright, well that gets us to critical mass, at least. Ideally I'd like 6, or else the thread isn't going to be very entertaining to read, since no one will have anyone that they're allowed to talk to, so I'm going to give this until Monday and then start then with 4 if that's all we've got.
Alright, I guess that's what's happening, then!

To move things along, I've arbitrarily assigned teams and roles:

Team 1:
Mogri (Encryptor)
Gerad

Team 2:
Destil (Encryptor)
aturtledoesbite

PMs will be sent shortly. Feel free to asks any questions there or here!

CURRENT GAME RESULTS/HISTORY:
  • Round 1:
    • Team 1: Fire-Wrap-Mail, 1-3-2, OK
    • Team 2: Firetruck-Cargo-Traffic, 3-1-2, OK
  • Round 2:
    • Team 1: Beam-Ice-Link, 3-1-2, OK, No Interception
    • Team 2: APPLE-POLICE STATION-PAIR, 4-2-1, MISS, No Interception
  • Round 3:
    • Team 1: Power-Shower-Kick, 1-3-4, MISS, No Interception
    • Team 2: Central-Descend-Wishful Thinking, 2-3-1, OK, No Interception
  • Round 4:
    • Team 1: Punch-Letter-Air, 4-2-3, OK, No Interception
    • Team 2: (In Progress)

Last edited by JBear; Yesterday at 03:49 PM.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:38 AM
Um Actually oil outlaw

PMs have been sent. The game will begin when Mogri posts his clues, at which point Gerad can have an entertaining conversation with himself and then post his guess at the first 3 digit code that Mogri has been supplied.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:42 AM
Yes, let's feast!

• Fire
  • Wrap
  • Mail
Old 05-06-2019, 11:51 AM
Um Actually oil outlaw

Oh, and if anyone outside the game wants to take a gander at either/both teams' lists of words, just let me know here or in a PM.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:23 PM
Holy Swine

Yeah, not sure how much value I can get out of talking to myself. Just going to go ahead and guess at it.

1-3-2
Old 05-06-2019, 12:36 PM
Um Actually oil outlaw

I guess I'll relax the bold requirement since it's not as if I'll have a lot of cross-talk to sort through!

Anyway, you are correct! Now team 2 is up; PM going out to Destil shortly, after which he can post his clues at his earliest convenience.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:20 PM
Rogue Robot

• Firetruck
  • Cargo
  • Traffic
Old 05-07-2019, 11:04 AM
earthquake ace

Let's go with 3-1-2 for mine.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:20 AM
Um Actually oil outlaw

Ding ding ding!

So, as of the end of round 1, no one has fucked up! Good job!

Now we'll start round 2, with the roles reversed, and with the order of events altered.

To remind/make clear, beginning with this round and from here forward, the opposing team will guess first after each set of clues is posted. I'll try to remember to specifically call out the order as we go forward, but in general, just try not to jump the gun and make your guess before the other team gets their turn, because if you do, they'll likely just copy your better guess and chances are good that you'll lose the game! So don't do that!

Also, remember that the opposing team is not to discuss the game in private, but are welcome to discuss things with each other here in the thread before locking in a firm guess. Final guesses in bold text would be preferred, just to make clear when you're done talking, although chances are good that you don't have enough information yet to discuss much or make very good guesses!

Next code PM going out shortly to Gerad. Once he posts his clues, it's Destil and Turtle's turn to discuss and make a guess, after which Mogri can make his guess, at which point I'll reveal the correct code.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:57 PM
Holy Swine

The clue:

Beam
Ice
Link
Old 05-07-2019, 02:18 PM
Rogue Robot

Okay, Turtle, my best guess on the new clues:

1 Fire (Mogri) Ice (Gerad)
2 Mail (Mogri)
3 Wrap (Mogri) Link (Gerad)

With Beam being 2 or 4?

What do you think?
Old 05-07-2019, 03:48 PM
earthquake ace

Hmm. I could also see Link going with Mail (in terms of chain links and chainmail), and Wrap could possibly go with Beam, but I don't have anything for that.

Given that, I'm leaning 4-1-2, but I can go with whatever for now.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:43 PM
Rogue Robot

Good with me.

4-1-2.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:15 PM
Um Actually oil outlaw

Alright, guess has been locked in. I'll wait for Mogri's guess before revealing.

(I'm sure that's obvious to everyone, but I'm just trying to be nice and clear while folks are still learning.)
Old 05-08-2019, 07:27 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Let's go 3-1-2.

Gerad, what should we do if the other team is onto one of our words? We could make our clues more oblique, but that's a double-edged sword...
Old 05-08-2019, 07:41 AM
Um Actually oil outlaw

Swing and a miss by Team Desturtle, but Mogri has successfully received the message (which, yes, makes the same code twice in a row).

Next code PM going out shortly to Turtle. Once they posts their clues, it's Mogri and Gerad's turn to discuss and make a guess, after which Destil can make his guess, at which point I'll reveal the correct code.

(And Mogri and Gerad are welcome to publicly discuss strategy in the meantime.)
Old 05-08-2019, 08:48 AM
Holy Swine

I think the best way to take advantage would be to try to make clues for different words that seem like they're for other ones...could get some mileage out of it that way. But it's definitely risky.

That's basically the same thing you said.

I think we'd just have to come up with new clues and hope we get them but they don't!
Old 05-08-2019, 03:56 PM
earthquake ace

Here you go:

APPLE
POLICE STATION
PAIR
Old 05-08-2019, 06:45 PM
Yes, let's feast!

APPLE: 1, matching Cargo, guessing "crate."

POLICE STATION: 2 or 3, matching Traffic or Firetruck. Leaning 2 because police and fire department seems too obvious a connection, but I could be overthinking.

PAIR: Leaning 4. I don't think this matches the earlier clues.

If you agree with 1-2-4 or 1-3-4, you can lock in.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:36 PM
Holy Swine

I need to post them so I can look at them.

1: Cargo
2: Traffic
3: Firetruck
Old 05-08-2019, 07:39 PM
Holy Swine

I like firetruck and police station to be the same thing. Not 100% sure, obvs, but I don't think it's necessarily a red herring.

Thought for you: cargo and pair maybe both being clues for PANTS?

I won't likely be back until tomorrow.