The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 11-10-2009, 06:14 PM
HP 50/150 █████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

Pronouns: They/Them or She/Her
Default The Non-Superhero Comic Book Thread

Although it's kind of redundant to have three different active threads about comic books, the "What comics Did you Buy This Week?" thread, to me, has always kind of read more like a dedicated superhero comic thread. That's all well and good, but it's a shame to see all of the great non-superhero reads in there get ignored. That's why I made this thread!
If this is universally considered a bad idea or if it leads to bad things, I am totally okay with this thread being deleted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Rules:
1) Be lenient but reasonable. A superhero comic that bends the rules significantly or isn't going to get much talk in the other thread is okay. Think of where you would place the series on a scale of Batman versus Zot.

2) This is not a superhero hatedom thread. I'm not making this thread as a way of saying superhero comics suck or the comics I read are great. It's just a discussion station for comics that otherwise wouldn't get touched upon much.

3) Manga is fine, but keep the same rules in mind as you would with the superhero guidelines. We've already gushed at length about how much everyone here loves Yotsuba&! in the dedicated manga thread.
Let's begin!

So right now I have seventy dollars left on a prepaid credit card and I'm thinking of picking up some comics through amazon to use it up. I either want to get the first of those massive two-book Peanuts sets ($60+S&H) or an amalgamation of smaller books.
I plan on getting a complete set of Peanuts at some point (I like high-quality collected sets. I did the same thing with Calvin and Hobbes, Tintin, etc), but the price tag is just too high and it would easily be the most I've ever spent for a comic book set (current record: almost $400 for Astro Boy).

As for the amalgamation, I've got a few things in my head I'd like. Junko Mizuno's work looks right up my alley. I've heard good things about the Courtney Crumrin series, too. I'm looking for something fun that I can sink my teeth into.

Also: This needs to hurry up and get a release. Kazu Kibuishi's work is universally spectacular, and I wish he could write more than one book a year. Amulet is basically the new Bone.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:35 PM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

How is Rasl?

Or is the fact that it's by Jeff Smith all the information I need?
Old 11-10-2009, 06:49 PM

Slow!

Seriously, though, I've only read the first trade, but it's interesting even if it is incredibly plodding. It's nice to see a science fiction series where the balance between "science" and "fiction" is almost perfectly even.
His backgrounds have gotten sparser since Bone, though.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:56 PM
Kinda like rap noise-pop

Yeah, I can dig this thread. I don't read many superhero comics, so I thread specifically for non superhero stuff is cool by me.

I've spent the past few months roaming the internet in search of the two Freddy Lombard books that DC released a few years back. I brought the second book a few weeks back (a guy on ebay set the bidding price on all his books at $1 and I was the only bidder) and I'm still looking for the second.

Next up will probably be Paul Pope's Heavy Liquid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
How is Rasl?

Or is the fact that it's by Jeff Smith all the information I need?
I like RASL quite a bit. I've only read the first three issues though (I'm waiting till the next few are released in another oversized trade). I think this is the first time Jeff Smith has done a comic specifically for adults, and it kind of reads like that too. But I love Smith's artwork so much and it's got some really cool ideas.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:49 PM
ILU Tiger Millionaire

I imagine that Rasl will seem less plodding when it's finished, collected and can be read at a less slow pace. I got the first trade and the next few issues. I'm sure I'll reread the whole thing when it's done.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:55 PM

I think it's time to anoint this thread with some Scott Pilgrim talk.

Apparently the script's done for the final volume, and we'll find out the title and release date in December.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggumbeard View Post
I imagine that Rasl will seem less plodding when it's finished, collected and can be read at a less slow pace. I got the first trade and the next few issues. I'm sure I'll reread the whole thing when it's done.
My big issue is that everyone, myself included, wants to do this. I really hope Smith decides to keep going until the end even though a huge portion of his audience are already waiting for trade, which could be a long wait given his track record.

So apparently Disney is rereleasing all of the old Carl Barks comics in trade form. This is good! But each trade is fairly short. This is bad!
Really I just wish Disney would release "THE BIG DAMN BOOK OF SCROOGE MCDUCK" and let me write them a check for my life's savings.

Has anyone here ever done business with heavyink.com? They seem like a dream come true for me, but I don't know if they actually deliver on everything they promise.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:02 PM
ILU Tiger Millionaire

Just as I post about it in the other comics thread!

But I didn't know that we'd be getting information about the final book in December. Color me happy.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:30 PM
...we're shy.

I don't read comics or graphic novels, as a general rule. Not really out of spite or anything... I just haven't ever really 'got' them. Looking at my bookshelf, the only two I have are Mouse Guard and Watchmen.

However, my love for Dark Tower has had me eyeing the sets that Marvel keeps putting out.
What is the general idea on them? Good? Bad? Tolerable?
Old 11-10-2009, 08:31 PM
:3

Pronouns: he/him

This thread is kind of timely for me, because new volume of B.P.R.D.!

I like the part where the monk guy is all "raaaar, kung fu" and Abe is all like, "man, fuck that" and throws his ass to the ground. I think the series in general needs more reminders that Abe is actually kind of badass.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:34 PM
on a break

Pronouns: He him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrael View Post
I don't read comics or graphic novels, as a general rule. Not really out of spite or anything... I just haven't ever really 'got' them. Looking at my bookshelf, the only two I have are Mouse Guard and Watchmen.

However, my love for Dark Tower has had me eyeing the sets that Marvel keeps putting out.
What is the general idea on them? Good? Bad? Tolerable?
I'm not really a big comic reader either, but I just finished the first Dark Tower trade, and I thought it was awesome.

The story is being retold chronologically, so it starts with Roland as a kid becoming a gunslinger (following Wizards and Glass). The art is really dramatic and I like the writing. If you like the Dark Tower books and Watchmen, I think you'd love the DT comic.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:38 PM

I really liked the first Mouse Guard collection. The second was something like a year behind schedule, and while it had some good moments, mostly felt like a transition story, setting up for future stuff, and too much of that transition was boring. Between the long delay and the meh-ness I kinda doubt I'll look into any further collection of the series or the author.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:23 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

... yeah, because it's not like the most recent discussion in the comics thread is about Y or anything....
Old 11-10-2009, 10:04 PM
borgn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
... yeah, because it's not like the most recent discussion in the comics thread is about Y or anything....
This is going to either turn back into superheroes or go to manga within three pages anyway. Or an angry political/religious argument.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:07 PM
Inscaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
This is going to either turn back into superheroes or go to manga within three pages anyway. Or an angry political/religious argument.
Its the circle of life here at Talking Time.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:41 AM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

I can dig this thread nonetheless. Onward!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teg View Post
As for the amalgamation, I've got a few things in my head I'd like. Junko Mizuno's work looks right up my alley. I've heard good things about the Courtney Crumrin series, too. I'm looking for something fun that I can sink my teeth into.
Courtney Crumrin is good stuff, along with other stuff Ted Naifeh's done (Polly and the Pirates mainly, though if you want a look at a completely different kind of story from him check out the one-shot How Loathesome which delves into transgender issues among other things).

Quote:
Kazu Kibuishi's work is universally spectacular, and I wish he could write more than one book a year. Amulet is basically the new Bone.
How's Amulet going? I picked up the first volume and it was nice enough, but I wasn't sure how I felt about it beyond "standard kids-get-sucked-into-fantasy-world plot with decent art". Has it developed anything to set it apart?

Also I assume if you're into Kazu you've been picking up the various Flight collections.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:29 AM

Amulet volume two is a lot better than the first. I debated over picking it up since I found the first one enjoyable but largely forgettable, but it's really picked up since. I'm not really sure if there's anything that sets it apart, but the characters are gradually becoming more complex.
And yeah, I've got all of the Flight books. I was actually dissapointed with the sixth, but that might just be because the fifth is about as close to perfect as you can get.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:04 AM
who's she

My local library has been getting Absolute Sandman volumes... NERDGASM. If I hadn't spent so much money on that series on the first place I would find an excuse to buy these books because they're fantastic.

I also recently finished reading Akira all the way through in one go for the first time. The story's much more clear than in the movie, but it also takes a lot longer to get to the point. And I get tired of those characters pretty easily.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:51 AM

I have those Absolute Sandman books! I got them at a rate of approximately one per year by asking for them as gifts. The extra content at the back is usually pretty fascinating. Also, you could probably kill someone with them.

My amazon money has been boosted up to ninety dollars because an amazon seller offered me a full refund for my damaged product. Very nice of them!

Still trying to figure out what I should buy. I feel like reading something cute or surreal.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:13 AM
d.o_o.b

Have you ever read Frank?
Old 11-12-2009, 11:21 AM
100% All Original

Ooh, I hadn't realized that Amulet vol. 2 was out. I need to get me some o that!

Speaking of Scrooge McDuck, they REALLY need to reprint The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck. That business is impossible to find for a reasonable price.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:23 AM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
Amulet volume two is a lot better than the first. I debated over picking it up since I found the first one enjoyable but largely forgettable, but it's really picked up since. I'm not really sure if there's anything that sets it apart, but the characters are gradually becoming more complex.
And yeah, I've got all of the Flight books. I was actually dissapointed with the sixth, but that might just be because the fifth is about as close to perfect as you can get.
Interesting to hear what you think about Amulet Vol. 2. I used to be a huge Kazu fan (really huge, as in I commissioned him to do my album cover), and through the first volumes of Flight and Daisy Kutter I bought everything he produced as soon as it came out. Recently, though, I haven't been enjoying his stuff as much. The later Copper comics I've found more preachy than fun and Flight is kinda hit-and-miss for me these days (although I did love some of the stories in Vol. 4, especially the awesome hat monsters). When I got to Amulet Vol. 1, though, it was a real letdown. The pacing seemed completely off to me, like he had spent so much time working on it that the story played out differently in his head than it does on the page. My girlfriend and I agreed that it was his weakest work to date and I had basically decided to forget about that series and just follow the rest of his output. Now you have me wondering if I should go back to it and give it another chance?

Thanks for pointing me to that Copper collection, though. That's something I will snatch up as soon as possible!
Old 11-13-2009, 02:35 AM
certified comics master

I was a little curious about Amulet, but in the end never got around to buying it. You guys HAVE reminded me about Flight, though. Even if some volumes are significantly better than others (3 and 5 really stand out in my mind), there's always something worthwhile in terms of art, story, or both in each volume. I wish I could be good enough to participate in Flight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinforcements View Post
Speaking of Scrooge McDuck, they REALLY need to reprint The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck. That business is impossible to find for a reasonable price.
My friend let me borrow that awhile ago and I loved it. I could have sworn it was still being sold at a reasonable price the last time I checked, but a quick search on Amazon proved me wrong. So yeah, I agree. So hard.

Umm as for my own recommendations on this thread, I gotta say that I really love Scott McCloud's Understanding Comics, Reinventing Comics, and Making Comics trilogy. The last one is like my bible; it has all sorts of good suggestions without being too overbearing about what you can and can't do in making comics. It's a very encouraging piece of work, and I suggest that everyone give it a read, even if you only like reading comics versus creating them.

Also, Usagi Yojimbo is great. I think the art may put a lot of people off (plus furries lolololol), but beyond that Usagi Yojimbo provides a lot of great stories and great characters. I wouldn't read it if you're looking for something with a strong overarching plot that will soon conclude, but it's still quality material. Thanks to one of my friends from college, I was able to read all but the first three volumes this year (or was it last year?). Whenever I move back to the states and get my own place, I plan to buy the whole collection for myself.
Old 11-13-2009, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
Now you have me wondering if I should go back to it and give it another chance?
I think the reason why Amulet is starting off so slow is that he intends to run it for as long as he can. I'm guessing he wants to make character development more gradual so as to seem more natural.
What I particularly liked about volume two is that one of the villains is getting a Zuko treatment and the the heroine is kind of looking like she'll inevitably become a villain against her will. It's not particulalry original, but I like the way Kibuishi's pulling it off.
Also, I found the first one to be a lot better upon reading it a second time. Don't know why.
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid View Post
No I have not! Good suggestion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinforcements View Post
I was supposed to get this as a birthday gift last year, because the book store ordered it without knowing it had been out-of-print for years. After a few months I did some searching and found out the sad truth.
I found a torrent of a digital copy, which I'm slowly working through.

Does anyone know if Ojingogo is any good?
Old 11-13-2009, 07:26 AM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

Quote:
I have those Absolute Sandman books! I got them at a rate of approximately one per year by asking for them as gifts. The extra content at the back is usually pretty fascinating. Also, you could probably kill someone with them.
I am experiencing Absolute Sandman envy.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:51 AM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

I thought Ojingogo was a neat webcomic years ago, but I haven't kept up with it.

I love Usagi Yojimbo! I have the first two issues, then a huge block of later issues (I think up to Grasscutter 2 or so). There's so much neat Japanese mythology in them.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:23 PM
Inscaper

So why aren't you reading Locke & Key?
Old 11-13-2009, 02:31 PM
d.o_o.b

So, do any of you know if the post-Kings of the Broken Wheel books of ElfQuest are any good?
Old 11-14-2009, 08:45 AM

Right now I'm trying to finish Quimby The Mouse. I bought it years ago, but I only go through it a few pages at a time. It's incredibly huge and unbelievably depressing. I never know where to put it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick
I thought Ojingogo was a neat webcomic years ago, but I haven't kept up with it.
I totally forgot that it was a webcomic.
*read read read*
Now that I've read some of it, I'm not sure if I'll get the book. There's not much posted on the website now, but it seems a little insubstantial.

Putting together my amazon order now. Thus far I've got Black Jack volume 8, To Terra volumes 2 and 3, and two Junko Mizuno books. I can add another ten dollars or so. What's really cheap?
Old 11-15-2009, 12:41 PM
Family Man

On Friday night I read The Walking Dead Volume 8: Made To Suffer, and I still feel depressed. Why would Robert Kirkman write these things? The part at the end where Lori and her baby are killed was so cruel and pointless, even the woman who shot them broke down and turned on the Governer. And earlier, seeing Tyreese getting his head clumsily hacked off by the Governer while everyone in the prison just watched... fuck! This series is is getting harder and harder to read, and according to a review on Fresh Ink, it never gets any easier. Does anyone else read The Walking Dead? What are your reactions after reading it?

Tags
comics , graphic novels , rise from your grave!