The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Notices

Old 06-18-2018, 07:55 AM
Are You Sure About That?

Pronouns: He/Him/His

I suppose my two questions are 1) why does Moira have a shadowy crotch in that last pic(s), and 2) who in god's name thought a squiggly line was a good stand-in for shadow (other thing I'm glad is done as a trend is extremely lazy cross-hatching for shadows).
Old 06-18-2018, 07:58 AM
POPE'S MEGA SQUID THRUST

Pronouns: FUCK IT SHIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSL View Post
Is that the Fake Magneto / Joseph junk or was there another Magneto-destroying arc in the 90s? Because I'd rather he have been a vegetable than deal with that shit.
#304 is when they bring Magneto back from the dead to crash Ilyana's funeral and start a big fight and rant and kill some people for no reason. It made Silver Age Magneto look nuanced. It leads into X-Men 25, where Magneto maims Wolverine and then Charles brain-wipes Magneto.

The Joseph thing came years later in a sorta quarter-assed attempt to rehabilitate Magneto from all of this. (it didn't work)
Old 06-18-2018, 08:01 AM
Senhor Member

It’s so you know her bodsuit is close enough to the skin have the same texture as Professor Xavier’s face.

Here’s another picture I remember that I didn’t post to hide my childhood horniness, but I was just like, “wow, what incredible shadows” at the time.

Also thought Amelia Voght was Very Important. (well she is more important than Neophyte, I must say) In my mind, I thought of her as kind of chill and reluctant for an Acolyte, but that wasn’t really the case this issue. Maybe my impression came from knowing about her from the television show or, much later, reading about X-Mythology.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:10 AM
POPE'S MEGA SQUID THRUST

I think that aspect of Voght developed a bit later when they decided to make her another example of why dating the young Charles Xavier was a terrible idea.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:20 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavelsAreNeat View Post
Same. It’s just a critical component of how silly this is. I posted a small image, but here’s a normal one. Normal image.
Bishop's true mutant power is super-powerful core muscles to hold his knees up like that for the duration of the flight and despite Warren's maneuvering.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:23 AM
Mr. Jackpots

Pronouns: he/him

I was pretty sure Magneto had been retconned to not be Xorn but then Cyclops was looking inside his head after they were both possessed by Mosaic and one of the memories he saw was Xorn fucking up New York, what the hell are you doing comics
Old 06-18-2018, 10:16 AM
Better be the real thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
I suppose my two questions are 1) why does Moira have a shadowy crotch in that last pic(s), and 2) who in god's name thought a squiggly line was a good stand-in for shadow (other thing I'm glad is done as a trend is extremely lazy cross-hatching for shadows).
The 90's were really weird about how they drew women's crotches. Either they were always drawn in 3/4 view with hips cocked or like Voght in that page there.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:26 AM
POPE'S MEGA SQUID THRUST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
I was pretty sure Magneto had been retconned to not be Xorn but then Cyclops was looking inside his head after they were both possessed by Mosaic and one of the memories he saw was Xorn fucking up New York, what the hell are you doing comics
I forget how many times they've gone back and forth on that whole deal but it's a lot.

For what it's worth Grant Morrison 100 percent intended for Xorn to be Magneto and that's it. But, you know, comic books.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:35 PM
Senhor Member

My brother requested it for his birthday a month ago, it was mentioned on Battle of the Atom this week, and it arrived at my house today... DK’s X-Men: The Ultimate Guide could not be more representative of the Zeitgeist.

The case against comics:

Loved Shadowcat Dress Up as a child.

Also, thought the Shadow King and everything about Psylocke (that red stripe!) was extremely rad.

The book is filled with this shit. I’m all in.

A time of ever-increasing artistic heights

Really, this was an ideal Cable for 13 year old me. He’s too big otherwise!

This is shocking to me. I forgot about Jesse Aaronson completely since reading this book, but do remember him there. I’ll see him soon, (?) I guess. (also had no idea Jesse Aaronson was Bedlam, from Deadpool 2. I apologize to the IP)

I’ve been looking forward to this X-Factor team since 2001. Only God can judge me!!

This reminds me of when they gave Alex Pettyfer rad scars to make him look not-hot-but-still-hot in... something. That I’ve never seen.

I was really into this page/concept as a child but I read a bit of X-Men 2099 when I read some Spider-Man 2099 and whoa, wretched stuff. Believe it or not. (Spider-Man 2099’s great, though)

My friends... good to see you... again...

My memory of this depiction of tha AoA X-Men was much larger than it was, but the picture is still just as cool as I’ve always thought.

Look at all the space they’re giving my man! My X-Man!

I really thought her pauldrons were like brains as a child, but apparently they’re not. Unclear as to whether or not she has actual claws.

Strongly support 3/4 of this image; keeping an open mind about the rest.

I had the first first edition as a child, which came out before New X-Men, new X-Force, etc. (they will never be simply X-Statix to me)

Poor Uncanny X-Men.

Emma Frost was definitely an X-Them by this point, but she still just got a third of a page here and the least-sleazy of her cheesecake comic book cover portraits.

This was a great team and they have been wronged by fate. (unfortunately, the world is not perpetually interested in teams of young X-Men or in fact, X-Men generally)

In other news, please download Bitmoji. U can cosplay as Feral or someone Claremont’s age-regressed.

Last edited by Pizzarino Sbarro; 06-19-2018 at 04:17 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:46 PM
クソゲーが好な人

Pronouns: He/Him

Man, there is some anatomy going on in that image over "X-Nation 2099."
Old 06-19-2018, 03:04 PM
Senhor Member

Well, now I looked back at that image and it occurs to me: I was into the characters of X-Nation 2099, not X-Men 2099. I’ve never read the former! I’m sure it’s excellent.

Also, forgot to grab the Alpha Flight pages. What a mistake! It’s settled: Alpha Flight is an X-Book, the team is very rad, Radius is handsome and important.

I’d always been interested in Witchfire (Belasco’s biological (?) daughter) and thought I found out about her here, but it must’ve been from some independent research after this page sparked my interest in Alpha Flight. Also, who is Canadian Spider-Man?
Old 06-19-2018, 03:05 PM
Senhor Member

Ottowans: does Department H look like that in real life? How blessed are your lives!
Old 06-19-2018, 03:08 PM
Senhor Member

Witchfire’s totally there. She just doesn’t look like a demon. Unless she does and there’s something very troubling going on with my brain right now.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:13 PM
Senhor Member

Canadian Spider-Man is Weapon Omega. This is an extremely layered text.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:17 PM
Senhor Member

Who is Weapon Omega? Is it Wild Child? I love him in that one picture of Forge’s X-Factor but otherwise I’ve never read a comic with him and all other pictures look bad.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Man, there is some anatomy going on in that image over "X-Nation 2099."
Hey that's art by Humberto Ramos, fresh off of Impulse and about 15 years before he'd be doing the art on Amazing Spider-Man.

I remember when X-Nation 2099 came out. God I'm so old....
Old 06-19-2018, 03:55 PM
Senhor Member

He also drew Mike Carey’s pre-Legacy X-Men. Anyway, yes, December “Winter” Frost looks absurd, but I love her “what if wind, but cold” powers and in general all of Emma Frost’s alternate future descendants.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:58 PM
Senhor Member

It is confirmed that Wulff has claws. Good! Somebody better.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:21 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

I bought every issue of X-Nation 2099 as it came out. It was cancelled after 6 issues, lost its core creative team after the first 3, and started and ended in 2099 events that I never read.

I loved it, for some reason??? Probably Humberto Ramos....
Old 06-19-2018, 04:22 PM
Senhor Member

It’s clearly a strong concept.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:08 PM
Toothsome!

Pronouns: She/Her

God, those New X-Men uniforms. You gotta know that everybody's holding their breath so they don't breathe in Logan's beery pit-stank.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:14 PM
Goodbye!

What I loved was being AWARE of those New X-Men uniforms and then happening upon Bava's Planet of The Vampires:

Old 06-20-2018, 08:38 AM
Senhor Member

BTW, I remember once mentioning that the DK book got me hooked on the idea of Shard. And yes, Shard is still a Person of Interest, but I’d also merged her in my mind with XSE rando Fixx, because her powers (telepathy and telekinesis in the forms of... fairy constructs) seemed cool as hell.

Anyway, this week’s X-Comics. I’m sorry... I liked X-Men: Gold 30, Peter and Kitty’s wedding. I was not expecting that. For one thing, I have no idea what’s going on with Wolverine and the Hunt for Wolverine. So when he popped up to make a cameo it seemed mystifying that he hid himself from the proceedings. An amusing artifact of slightly bad comic event timing.

But more importantly, this was hilarious. Rude!

I kept wondering if one of Kitty’s putative ex-girlfriends were gonna confess their feelings to her. Almost, but not quite.

Cable took place in ye olde X-Force times this week!! Feral is out of character.

I’ve finally read the Psylocke/Revanche body swap. It’s almost written in such a way that Psylocke could have become a real merger of Betsy Braddock and Kwannon. Of course, that’s not really how it panned out. Even within the issues themselves, it’s more like there are two Elisabeths Braddock and no Kwannons.

UXM 304 may be bad, (gettin there) but 303 is really good. I’ve only read the X-Factor Fatal Attractions is so far and my verdict is, whoa that’s-a 90s-a.

That is not the first time Jamie’s Multiplied himself in another person, but it is by far the gnarliest.

Last edited by Pizzarino Sbarro; 06-20-2018 at 08:51 AM.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:45 AM
Senhor Member

I guess the ugly truth is I’m buying everything Howard Mackie is selling.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:46 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He
Default John Lennon is, so why not?

Is that green monsterman named Mellancamp?

If so, I’m afraid that my head canon is now that, in the MCU, John Cougar is also a mutant shapeshifter.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:49 AM
Senhor Member

That’s an excellent way to look at things, but his actual first name (Seamus) is amazing, too. I’d recommend combining them in your mind via some manner of alternate past convergence/Dragon Break nonsense. He’s both people at once.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:52 AM
World of Darkness Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Is that green monsterman named Mellancamp?
Yes.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:03 AM
POPE'S MEGA SQUID THRUST

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavelsAreNeat View Post
I guess the ugly truth is I’m buying everything Howard Mackie is selling.
That's not Howard Mackie though? X-Factor 92 was a platoon effort by Scott Lobdell and JM DeMatteis and probably a bunch of editors after PAD refused to write it and bailed off the book.

It was also I think the end of the "can Joe Quesada draw a monthly book" experiment, but as you say he did some pretty gnarly shit on his way out.

Uncanny 303 is indeed pretty good, aside from some of the ass-tastic Richard Bennett art. (Bennett went on to a not particularly remarkable career as one of Jim Lee's mini-mes at Wildstorm.) The prototype "Lobdell writes pretty good self-contained character issues" issue.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:06 AM
Senhor Member

The Mackie stuff I’m talking about is like Fixx and (I think) Forge’s X-Factor team with like Wildchild and Mystique.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:10 AM
POPE'S MEGA SQUID THRUST

oooh, okay, way later then. is that post the Age of Apocalypse? I lose track around that era.

Tags
adam x the x-treme , ah cain't touch yuh remy , berserker barrage , chayeh , claremont's boner , focused totality , foreverial tiedup x-men , marvel , mental domination , no quarter asked , none given , scumbag gambit , x-men