The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about creating

Old 07-12-2017, 01:47 PM
Terrestrial Commuter

Pronouns: he/him/his

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcodis View Post
I really quite enjoy this piece. It has that real chill vibe I dig in videogame music. The percussion in the background really sounds like crashing waves, which I'm assuming was intentional given how this song is called "Shrine of the Sea God". As far as other games, it reminds me a lot of FF6's Serpent Trench, which is easily one my favorite songs on an already godlike soundtrack, so well frickin' done.

Soundcloud does some sort of weird compression when it processes your uploads. Not sure why it would wind up quieter necessarily, but there you go. I would be interested to hear this how you intended it to sound!
Hey, thanks for the feedback! Sorry for the super-late response; I honestly didn't think anyone would say anything. >_>

I'm glad you liked it, though! You were right about the percussion, I was definitely going for crashing waves and I'm glad I got that across. And the FF6 comparison is super flattering.

Also I'm not sure what's triggered it - although I think it's being around music every day in college - but I'm writing much more than when I last posted in this thread. I'm working on several songs/pieces at the moment and hopefully I'll post in here more often in the future. Maybe some of these things will even be good! =V

Last edited by Soren Highwind; 02-15-2018 at 04:08 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:21 PM
Terrestrial Commuter

Pronouns: he/him/his

I'm gonna make another post in this thread and you can't stop me

https://soundcloud.com/albatoss/the-silver-citadel

I tried to finish this yesterday (my birthday), but alas it was not to be. I actually started writing it a couple months ago, but I got stuck and put it down for a while; I only picked it back up last week. It's a slow piano piece in 11/8 (because weird time signatures are awesome); I'm not really a pianist at all so I'm not sure how playable this would be by an actual performer (and it would probably take me weeks of practice to be able to play it myself), but I tried to keep it reasonable.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:04 PM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

11/8 is cool. It sounds reasonably playable as of halfway through but it's hard to be sure without seeing it written down.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:47 PM
Binglebottom

Bumping this thread to share some newer stuff and to hear what other people have made.

Illquiem: For as simple as this is, it's one of my favorite pieces. It has almost no melodies, and the chords are treated percussively.

Theme Of Burger: It's a theme for a hamburger.

Waiting for Star: Imaginary theme for a results screen.

Possibility: A cute classically-derived tune meant for an in-development dungeon crawler.

Hamauzuesque: An attempt at being Masashi Hamauzu. And maybe Mitsuto Suzuki, at the end.

Troops of Aruzagu: And an attempt at being Hitoshi Sakimoto.

Cum Quidam Fluctuantia: An arrangement of a medieval hymn. After running through the main melody I divided it up for reformulations.

One Track Lover: An arrangement of the song "One Track Lover" from the television program Garth Marenghi's Darkplace.

Auverlasch: I tried to write an entire piece in septuple time, and it turned out really good!
Old 02-15-2018, 04:52 PM

Dang, what a varied repertoire on display.
Personal favorites are Theme Of Burger, and Auverlasch.

Auverlasch in particular is really quite striking when it picks up at around the minute-and-a-half mark or so. Really love the melody you created there.

Hamauzesque also has a ton to love... really beautiful key/piano work at play. Nice job, Diplo!
Old 02-15-2018, 05:35 PM
Binglebottom

Thanks! I listened to Gamma Buster and couldn't discover the mystery of what was off about it. All I could suggest is replacing the organ-like patch that's doing the backing chords with something that has more sonic depth later on. It's kind of a thin-sounding instrument, so maybe that's the missing part. The abrasive portions add some welcome grit to the piece imo
Old 02-16-2018, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplo View Post
Thanks! I listened to Gamma Buster and couldn't discover the mystery of what was off about it. All I could suggest is replacing the organ-like patch that's doing the backing chords with something that has more sonic depth later on. It's kind of a thin-sounding instrument, so maybe that's the missing part. The abrasive portions add some welcome grit to the piece imo
Yeah, there's definitely all sorts of just subtle issues with that track and I've, over time, grown to kinda hate it, haha. I think I could fix it up a bit. Funny you mention the organ, because that is consistently the thing everyone has criticized, so that'd probably be where I'd start! The mastering/mixing also needs to be completely redone, and I need to do something with the drums as well since they're so damn repetitive. Maybe I'll revisit it sooner than later, because just typing this up gave me a few ideas I could try. Thanks for listening!
Old 02-21-2018, 11:18 AM
Binglebottom

Runway of Welkin: Another higher-energy FM piece.
Old 03-03-2018, 05:10 AM
till the sheriff stops by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplo View Post

Theme Of Burger: It's a theme for a hamburger.
Listened based solely on this description. That's a great burger theme.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:38 PM
do you feel the eel zeal?

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

I'm back on my bullshit again, but I'm doing something a bit different -- this was made in Adlib tracker and recorded off an OPL3 (or at least some sort of hardware clone of it -- from that Gateway Solo laptop I picked up about half a year ago). It's straight-up weird to have so many channels, I think.

Anyway, here's Will Funk for Food
Old 03-09-2018, 05:47 PM

Not sure how much this kind of music is any of y'alls bag, but my new band Rival Hive (post-hardcore/punk) just released some demos:

Blackjack

Fortress

Guitars were recorded with an SM58.
Bass was recorded through my bassist's Mark Bass amp's direct out line.
Drums were recorded with a SM58 on the snare, a SM57 on the kick, and a stereo field recorder as an overhead to get everything else. Not an ideal setup, but workin' with what I got here.
Vocals recorded with some m-audio condenser mic I can't remember the model of.
Everything was recorded with a 4-channel Alesis USB interface, in Garageband where it was also mixed/produced, and then mastered in FL Studio.

Also guaranteed I only vaguely know what I'm doing when it comes to recording stuff, and almost have no idea when it comes to mixing/mastering. But I am pretty happy with the result, even if it sounds like a squashed box of noise!

Hoping to record a 5-song EP this summer.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:52 AM

I'm trying to learn how to play my arrangement of the FF3 boss battle music on guitar, as a challenge to myself, because I've been feeling hella inadequate in terms of guitar skill lately.

Starting to get it down, but not before getting super down on myself!! Today I got to the point where I can play most the parts individually, but not in context. Transitioning from part to part and being able to play it all in one sitting is going to take a lot more practice. That quick triplet ascending Edim(?) scale at about the 0:18 mark is hard as hell, but I think I got a way to play it that doesn't sound stupid. Also need to figure out most the countermelody parts on guitar still... (the triplet ascending Edim scale's harmony is going to be even harder I think... frick)

Once I get this down, I might actually sit and try to record the guitars over the drum track here, and see if I can't create something that sounds less cheesy.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:29 PM
actually an eevee

Pronouns: she/her

I made a MIDI of Good or Don't Be from Evangelion ep 26.
First, my sources, because it would have taken me a year to decipher by ear
Guitar tabs: http://www.oocities.org/valkyriekl.g...s/ngegodb.html
Piano sheet music: http://www.yusuketeam.com/partitions/pages/eva/eva.php

MIDI: https://www.snowy-day.net/stuff/othe...#39;t%20Be.mid

Tags
composing , composition , music