The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 09-09-2018, 10:58 AM
so exciting!

It's not a good show, but it definitely feels like a lot of the reviews were over the top with how offensive it was, or how it was the worst show on netflix, or whatever.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:54 PM
This Guy

American Vandal Season 2 might be the best show of the year. It deals with a lot of real issues in intelligent ways in the midst of a 4 hour poop joke. It just had a character say "the bible is sooo boring" then look and point upwards and say "no disrespect."
Old 09-19-2018, 01:01 PM
Sudden chomper

My girlfriend is busy these days, so right now I'm looking for TV shows that I can watch that she won't care about or be upset about missing (ie I have to wait for Dragon Prince). So last night I put the first episode of Luke Cage Season 2 on and...eh? I mostly liked the first season, but the ending really dragged and the whole show lost its purpose once Cottonmouth was out of the picture. But this time I'm really not feeling it; I don't feel invested in the characters and even Mike Colter's magical charisma wasn't really doing it for me anymore. Then you get to the end and there's a really gross scene where Bushmaster slashes somebody's eyes out and it's like fuckin' stop it already, Marvel TV shows. I'm not sure I have it in me to watch any more of these things, the stories and pacing always disappoint and I hate the gratuitous gore (Jessica Jones season 1 was just horrible on that front). The casting is really great, but a few good actors alone just isn't enough to keep me invested. I guess I need to play more video games?

On the bright side, I'm making my way through the second season of The Expanse and I still really like that show. It can get pretty heavy at times, but for the most part it feels earned (although the episode that I just watched kind of overdid it between the spacing of dozens of refugees and the somewhat gratuitous death of the freighter pilot at the very end). The show is dark enough that I have to wait for my son to fall asleep before I start and by that point it's usually too late to watch more than a single episode. I'd complain, but it's forcing me to savor the show instead of binging it like I did with season 1, so it's mostly a good thing.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:07 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

You know I've had The Expanse on my mind as something to watch, nice to see someone else mention it. I haven't seen any of it yet. I don't know much about it at all, which is how I like to view things. I just know I want a good sci-fi show.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:35 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
I guess I need to play more video games?
I guess that depends on how big your game backlog is (versus your other backlogs).
Old 09-19-2018, 06:52 PM
does the Underpants Dance

Pronouns: he/him

Speaking of The Dragon Prince, I watched the first episode and it was not great. Fine, I guess? Pretty damn slow and all the jokes fell super flat. However, I am not an adolescent/teenager so it's obvious I'm outside of the target demographic here. But I remember liking the first episode if Airbender a lot more.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:44 AM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torzelbaum View Post
I guess that depends on how big your game backlog is (versus your other backlogs).
Iíve kind of moved away from the concept of the backlog. With hundreds of unplayed games in my Steam library and endless hours of TV available through Netflix, thereís no way I could ever climb that mountain. So now Iím mostly just playing or watching whatever Iím in the mood for at the time, which is actually pretty great. Iíve gotten better about dropping games and shows that Iím no longer enjoying, too, which feels like progress.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:49 AM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
Iíve kind of moved away from the concept of the backlog. With hundreds of unplayed games in my Steam library and endless hours of TV available through Netflix, thereís no way I could ever climb that mountain. So now Iím mostly just playing or watching whatever Iím in the mood for at the time, which is actually pretty great. Iíve gotten better about dropping games and shows that Iím no longer enjoying, too, which feels like progress.
I still keep a list of games, books, albums, movies, and tv shows, but I wouldn't consider it a backlog. I just have a poor memory, and it's nice to have something to refer back to when I'm looking for something new.
Old 09-21-2018, 04:24 PM
This Guy

I think I am the only person in the world who watched the TV version of Snatch, let alone liked it. The second season is out and the first episode is still pretty enjoyable. One of the female leads disappeared with like two lines of explanation, but I assume that is because she left the show. So far, other than having mostly the same cast it isn't carrying much over from the first season. It just kind of starts with "we're doing this now."
Old Yesterday, 04:42 AM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by YangusKhan View Post
I finished GLOW season 2 and it was pretty wonderful. I enjoy that it isn't terribly self-aware of its own soap-opera but it still is self-aware. It doesn't try to be clever about it or anything, it just lets it happen because the drama is good.
The drama is....pretty good. I think the first season is stronger, but I still enjoyed the second season. It did seem to me that there are cracks already. I got the feeling that ad libbing was sneaking its way in already, and some of the relationship stuff is petty. Still, it's a good show. I'll watch the third.

Tags
bingewatch purgatory , fear of new threads , sex house , television