The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 11-04-2017, 11:28 PM
Christmas Action Returns

Just got back from seeing it with my buds. It was AWESOME. Best Marvel movie of the year. Infinitely better than the previous Thor movies. Lots of great fight scenes, a lot of great humor, and some really solid character development for Thor, Loki and Banner. Just all around amazing.
Old 11-05-2017, 02:50 AM
New Video World is out!

Same sludge as Spider-Man Homecoming. Every character has the same "voice", every potentially affecting moment is undercut with a shitty joke, wanking jokes, jokes about Hulk's cock, extended callback to Avengers that everyone loved then they had Loki stand up and explain it as if the audience were enormously stupid? No stakes, totally unengaging stuff.

Formula has worn very thin indeed for me unfortunately. I'm glad people enjoyed it, and I mean that.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:31 AM
Your life is forfeit

We took our nephew to see the movie yesterday. Our power rankings:
  • Middle schooler nephew: OH MAAAAH GOD I LOVE IT YESSSSS
  • Me: Pretty good, love the music, jokes were way too forced, especially anything that awful-CG-Thing-except-blue wannabe said
  • Wife: No Iron Man means it could only ever be just "OK"

I did appreciate the deep love on display for the Walt Simonson run ó they even referenced the frog-Thor arc. I would also like to petition that we change the phrase "Chekhov's gun" to "Skurge's guns." When he showed off the M-16s at the start, I didn't know if it was just an Easter egg or if they were going to actually do the bridge sceneÖ but happily they didn't disappoint.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:34 AM
120 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
Same sludge as Spider-Man Homecoming. Every character has the same "voice", every potentially affecting moment is undercut with a shitty joke, wanking jokes, jokes about Hulk's cock, extended callback to Avengers that everyone loved then they had Loki stand up and explain it as if the audience were enormously stupid? No stakes, totally unengaging stuff.

Formula has worn very thin indeed for me unfortunately. I'm glad people enjoyed it, and I mean that.
I enjoyed thor3 a lot, but yet, 100% agree with you.
Old 11-05-2017, 03:08 PM

It was so good. Best Thor movie by far. Couple of spoiler questions to follow

Loki must have taken the tesseract?
That was Thanos' ship in the mid credit scene, right?
Old 11-05-2017, 03:09 PM
oh my car

Yes and yes, I'd say.
Old 11-05-2017, 03:32 PM
Mueller-mas

Iím glad after two Thor movies plus Avengers Thor finally had enough character growth to stop Loki from pulling a fast one on him. I think favorite moments was Thor using Black Widowís method from Ultron for calming Hulk down and Banner huffing that they were stuck on a planet designed to stress him out then walking into a Hulk parade 5 seconds later.
Old 11-05-2017, 04:41 PM
We just don't know.

I really liked it.

I'm glad they just gave up and turned it into a goofy space character comedy, because it worked really well as that. Hela and everything about her was pretty weak and one-dimensional, the pacing of the movie with that whole middle section was really weird, and plot progress was all very stilted and handled almost as an afterthought; but I thought it worked because it was a comedy with some action-adventure and not the other way around like all the others, even both GotG movies, have been.

I also liked/appreciated how it was essentially a small ensemble movie, and honestly am totally okay with them going forward like that. Civil War being kind of the overstated example, but Spider-Man also a good one. They don't need individual adventures, necessarily, and tbh in the world they've built it strikes me as almost less believable. I'm looking forward to the new standalones for Black Panther and Captain Marvel, but have no problem if any given "single" character movie is actually 2-3 heroes at any given point from here on out.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:28 PM
Merry Christmas, Ma

TR was the most fun Iíve had with a marvel property in some time. Interesting that the major recurring theme was that everyone is crappier and better than we think they are. Also I deeply support anything that puts Idris Elba in front of my eyes.

Use of Zepplin ++
Skurge livin like a dog but dyin like a man ++
Goth Cate Blanchett ++
Thor is a really shit friend ++
Hulk does ura nage to a giant wolf ++
Old 11-06-2017, 01:39 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

If anyone who enjoyed the comedy in Taika Waititi's Thor has not seen his What We Do in the Shadows, you really owe it to yourself to watch it. It's a mockumentary about vampires living in a flat in New Zealand. (And this goes double for anyone who also liked Flight of the Conchords.)

If you're in the US and have Amazon Prime, it's included in your streaming options right now. If not, you can pay a few bucks to rent it from wherever.
Old 11-06-2017, 02:37 PM
fan of wet circles

A few days later and still cracking up over the snake bit.

Also yes to What We Do in the Shadows. Been meaning to check out his other stuff as well.

Old 11-06-2017, 02:48 PM
120 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
TR was the most fun Iíve had with a marvel property in some time. Interesting that the major recurring theme was that everyone is crappier and better than we think they are. Also I deeply support anything that puts Idris Elba in front of my eyes.

Use of Zepplin ++
Skurge livin like a dog but dyin like a man ++
Goth Cate Blanchett ++
Thor is a really shit friend ++
Hulk does ura nage to a giant wolf ++
How bad ass would it have been if the Wolf swallowed Odin whole though?
Old 11-06-2017, 02:56 PM
Merry Christmas, Ma

Quote:
Originally Posted by chud_666 View Post
How bad ass would it have been if the Wolf swallowed Odin whole though?
Of all the Simonsonís Greatest Hits we were treated to, someone busting out of a monsterís mouth was sorely missed
Old 11-06-2017, 03:30 PM
Highway To HFIL

Is this the right thread to talk about the possibility that Disney might get the X-Men/FF/Deadpool rights back from Fox?
Old 11-06-2017, 03:32 PM
whatever it takes

We were talking about that in the movie mini reviews thread today, but it's certainly on-topic here as well.
Old 11-06-2017, 03:51 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

From the other thread, apparently the talks failed.

It's still fun to speculate theoretically about what you'd like to happen if you were supreme dictator, but FYI the outcome of the talks is already known.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
It's still fun to speculate theoretically about what you'd like to happen if you were supreme dictator, but FYI the outcome of the talks is already known.
Deadpool: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. Staring Ryan Reynolds, Hugh Jackman, and Chris Evans.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:28 PM
oh my car

Let's do an Infinity Gem Checklist:

• Yellow: Is The Vision
  • Green: Dr. Strange has it
  • Blue: Loki obviously snagged it from Asgard
  • Purple: In the Nova Corps vault on Xandar
  • Red: Doesn't The Collector still have it?
  • Orange: Has this one even shown up? Thanos had it all along or something?
Old 11-06-2017, 04:36 PM
Your life is forfeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Bill View Post
Let's do an Infinity Gem Checklist:

• Yellow: Is The Vision
  • Green: Dr. Strange has it
  • Blue: Loki obviously snagged it from Asgard
  • Purple: In the Nova Corps vault on Xandar
  • Red: Doesn't The Collector still have it?
  • Orange: Has this one even shown up? Thanos had it all along or something?
Use the real names, geez. Mind, Time, etc.

I did like how the long-running mystery of the Infinity Gauntlet apparently being in Odin's vaults was casually smashed by Hela.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:40 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie View Post
Deadpool: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. Staring Ryan Reynolds, Hugh Jackman, and Chris Evans.
Deadpool Kills The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parish View Post
Use the real names, geez. Mind, Time, etc.
Mind: Yellow, on Vision's head
Time: Green, Eye of Agamotto in Kamar-Taj
Power: Purple, in Nova Corps vault
Space: Blue, Tesseract, last seen in Odin's Treasury but likely in Loki's pocket now
Reality: Red, Aether, last seen at the end of Thor 2, no mention since

Since it has been neatly excised from all links to Adam Warlock, the (now orange) Soul Gem will likely drive the plot of Avengers: if... and acquiring it will let Thanos defeat the current set of characters.

Warlock will instead be driven by his angst at having missed both the event that made him famous and that he's no longer his BFF's nemesis.

Quote:
I did like how the long-running mystery of the Infinity Gauntlet apparently being in Odin's vaults was casually smashed by Hela.
I'm still kind of annoyed that they're treating the gauntlet itself as some sort of known, and specific, artifact, when all Thanos did was superglue the gems to the knuckles of his regular daily-use glove. On the one hand, it implies that someone has used the gems that way before. On the other, the original "gauntlet" was silly and utilitarian and matched the Angry Prune's costume, it wasn't some Grand Legendary Relic From Times Long Past.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:54 PM
Better be the real thing.

In fairness, I think the comics have been doing the same thing with the Gauntlet.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:01 PM
ahím margaret wartahm

Itís like how in antiquity and also in the present some new artifact or piece of architecture will be created and people will rapidly extend its history back into past aeons.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:51 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
Fred Hembeck should have been the one...
Old 11-06-2017, 08:18 PM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

Ragnarok was a cotton candy buffet - no substance, but damn, what a tasty rush.

in particular, the snake anecdote deserves unfettered praise.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:12 PM
Merry Christmas, Ma

My wife and I were talking about Thor's progression over the films. He was kicked out of Asgard in Thor 1 for being a racist asshole, then he spent Thor 2 trying to do right by his family but failing miserably because he's really bad at it, and in Thor Ragnarok he's finally realized he's emotionally unstable and kind of dumb, and actually seems to be learning from his mistakes.

e: The more I think about how clueless and obviously insecure Thor is any time he has to engage with people on a non-punching level, the more I love it. He never learned how to do anything other than hit things and drink, and he's having to turn into a grown-up while the whole world goes to shit around him.

He defeats Hela and by extension the racism and violence that is his birthright by giving into the prophesied destruction of his childhood home. What's really being Ragnarok'd here is his arrested adolescence. Might as well call it "Thor: The Middle Ages"
Old 11-07-2017, 08:43 AM
It's all good, man

The orange infinity stone is the only one we don't know about, and I bet its discovery is the inciting incident of Infinity War
Old 11-07-2017, 08:44 AM
ahím margaret wartahm

What are the gems in the comics? Has anyone within the MCU explained them? I forget everything that happens in these movies once they end, like theyíre pleasant dreams.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:46 AM
It's all good, man

Not sure what you mean. They're extremely powerful artifacts that give their bearers control over something like minds, or the flow of time, and if one person has all six they're essentially omnipotent. It's not more complicated than that.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:48 AM
ahím margaret wartahm

I had no idea about anything of that, thatís what I mean. Thanks!
Old 11-07-2017, 08:49 AM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
My wife and I were talking about Thor's progression over the films. He was kicked out of Asgard in Thor 1 for being a racist asshole, then he spent Thor 2 trying to do right by his family but failing miserably because he's really bad at it, and in Thor Ragnarok he's finally realized he's emotionally unstable and kind of dumb, and actually seems to be learning from his mistakes.

e: The more I think about how clueless and obviously insecure Thor is any time he has to engage with people on a non-punching level, the more I love it. He never learned how to do anything other than hit things and drink, and he's having to turn into a grown-up while the whole world goes to shit around him.

He defeats Hela and by extension the racism and violence that is his birthright by giving into the prophesied destruction of his childhood home. What's really being Ragnarok'd here is his arrested adolescence. Might as well call it "Thor: The Middle Ages"

what's fascinating to me about the movie is that there's some very heavy thematic stuff at the margins but it feels like the tone and attention of the movie resolutely fails to engage with it

I mean, the Warriors Three are brutally slaughtered and we don't get a chance to dwell because MOAR JOKES GUYS

I think it's a contrast to GotG2, which feels like it grapples with its heavier stuff more openly and honestly. and makes it clear that a lot of the humor is coping mechanisms for its damaged, fucked-up characters.

Also, I'm a bit Mad About Hela: she's underwritten, and the way the movie is structured, she doesn't spend much time interacting with anyone the audience actually cares about. Blanchett did a terrific job with what she was given, but man, it still feels like a waste to have her do this and not some meatier part in the MCU.
so I think Ragnarok might... age poorly. It was marvelous fun though and the visuals deserve unfettered praise.

Tags
brodude cinema , car door shield , cheadlicious , horny for lewis tan , horny for spider-man , marvel , marvel cinematic universe , mehhumans , movies , parker posey as , stan lee cameo