The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 08-05-2015, 08:17 AM
World of Darkness Returns

I think the biggest problem is that this movie has been in development hell so long that its the shitty old double internal caption narration version instead of what has been standard for the last 3 or 4 years. This is reinforced by Blind Al and Weasel being prominent in the trailer.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:56 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

As someone who likes the old version of Deadpool waaaaaay more than the "humanised" version (he's the one that first made me a Gail Simone fan, for instance, although I guess technically that was Agent X), this trailer was ideal. I want a completely over-the-top violent movie without any desire to be worthwhile or redeeming or equitable in any way, and this nails it. If anything, this wasn't over-the-top enough - I expected to see at least one mook shot in the crotch, although the through-the-arm shot was inventive enough that it made up for it.

(Poor Gina Carano. Jumped to what she thought would be a lucrative movie career when it turns out she'd have been much smarter waiting in UFC.)

(Also... I hope that we've finally officially buried the stupidity that was the Green Lantern movie with that gag. Even if it would be great if Reynolds spent his off-hours in Vancouver visiting a certain other production office....)

Just... I need little yellow boxes. It's not Deadpool without little yellow boxes. Siryn would be nice, too, but I'll take the X-man who showed up.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:57 AM
Outraged!

That trailer was pretty silly, but I cringed more at the violence than the dialogue. I'm a bit of a wuss, I guess.

I chuckled at TJ's "face-fucked a topographical map of Utah" line, that sounds like something he ad-libbed.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
DP fans
Speaking of adolescent humor... I hope the fans of Deadpool don't refer to themselves this way.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:07 PM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
A red ninja with super power who kills bad guys? Take away the modern production values and the lame Downey Jr. wannabe sarcasm and you have a Godfrey Ho movie. Fucking ninjas, man. Ninjas.
We're talking about a character co-created by by Rob Liefeld as a thinly-veiled swipe of Deathstroke from DC Comics. There's a pedigree.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:25 PM
Space Prez

I would pay money to see this if Louise Simonson gets a creator credit.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:39 PM
not talking tim

Maybe it's because my knowledge of Deadpool comes mainly from secondary sources like the games and animated appearances, but this trailer certainly captured what I think of when I think "Deadpool," and that's "loud asshole ninja." If Deadpool is a more rounded character now, well, this is his origin story. There's plenty of time for him to move beyond "loud asshole ninja" as his arc progresses.

Also, I think all the descriptions of his face were charming. Especially "haunting" and "avocado."
Old 08-06-2015, 01:50 AM
New Video World is out!

I found the avocado line too annoying, the guy's voice is just annoying. Like in Apatow movies when Paul Rudd improvises, just the same register. Like that but it was in the script, so he's contriving the idea of quick-wittedness. I don't know what I'm saying anymore. Anyway, this looks horrible and, as a result, I will only go to see it TWO times.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:45 AM
120 Days

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/08/...clobberin-time

Positive-ish! Bad final 3rd.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:39 PM
For blood and gold

Maddy Myers had a good article on how Deadpool is a subversive character and how maybe the movie could get him right.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:05 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hedgehog View Post
I don't read that as being quite as optimistic as you do. Or maybe I just don't read it as optimistically as she does. She hates the way he's been reduced to a meme spouting reference nerd, but I feel like everything about this movie has been made to appeal to Deadpool as understood by Redditors, as opposed to Deadpool as understood by Maddy Myers.

A good article though, and I'm very happy she's escaped video game journalism. I hope the Mary Sue audience appreciates her more than gamers ever did.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:34 PM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
I don't read that as being quite as optimistic as you do. Or maybe I just don't read it as optimistically as she does. She hates the way he's been reduced to a meme spouting reference nerd, but I feel like everything about this movie has been made to appeal to Deadpool as understood by Redditors, as opposed to Deadpool as understood by Maddy Myers.
Her tweets about it, definitely conveyed she had the hope the article's title suggested. But that she was also prepared for the movie to be awful. Mostly this article was just a defense for why she likes Deadpool.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:50 PM

Deadpool seems like a continuation of a long-running and tiresome trend of superheroes saving the day while pushing the boundaries of good taste (supposedly) with their snarky, ironic humor. This has been Joss Whedon's shtick since... forever.

It's just boring and I'm not persuaded that adding self-awareness and fourth-wall-breaking into the mix will make the same old superhero movie formula interesting. If you want to see how common subversive or self-aware action movies are, well, check out Black Dynamite, Hot Fuzz, Snakes on a Plane, Mystery Men, Starship Troopers, etc.

Some times metafictional conceits and genre subversion can be truly novel—but more often they are used as "look how clever I am" Band-Aids for cliched writing. In this case, I predict this will be another instance of having one's cake. and eating it.

There's really no reason for this movie to exist other than to please fans and give audiences yet another way to spend ~2 hours of free time at a movie theater. Marvel Entertainment really needs to focus on brining more superheroes to the screen that are (a) more diverse than the magical white guys we've been getting and (b) have stories that are interesting. We do not need another superhero origin story, for fuck's sake.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:32 AM
Good Bee

Quote:
There's really no reason for this movie to exist other than to please fans and give audiences yet another way to spend ~2 hours of free time at a movie theater.
Amen.
Old 08-07-2015, 02:23 AM
New Video World is out!

Does anyone actually find Ryan Reynolds appealing? This is a serious question.
Old 08-07-2015, 02:58 AM
Programmed to Jingle

I don't mind him. Haven't really spared much of a thought about him before you brought it up though, honestly.

Liked the trailer though, looks like it actually has a handle on Deadpools character beyond WACKY JOKES and murders.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:52 AM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Stuff
Ok. Thanks for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
Does anyone actually find Ryan Reynolds appealing? This is a serious question.
He's pretty dreamy. I can't say his acting has ever stood out for me.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:33 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

He's the generic handsome lead of choice in Hollywood.

(And the bastard landed in-her-prime Blake Lively, so fuck him.)
Old 08-07-2015, 09:51 AM
whatever it takes

I'm sure you were her second choice, Sven.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:21 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaeran View Post
I'm sure you were her second choice, Sven.
I will go to my grave harbouring that belief in a manner akin to a flat earth devotee.

(Shit, we're both Canadian! Assuming that was her first criteria, I would have been 50% of the way there already.)
Old 08-07-2015, 10:37 AM
Out Of Warranty

It's funny, because Blake Lively is filming some blocks away from my home. Want me to drop her a message, Sven?
Old 08-07-2015, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krelbel View Post
Amen.
well, sorry for demanding these MCU bro-tainments try to aim higher in quality instead of feeding people the same old shit

I am the only one who cares about anything around here.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:07 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positronic Brain View Post
It's funny, because Blake Lively is filming some blocks away from my home. Want me to drop her a message, Sven?
Not sure if the restraining order allows that.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:10 AM

I liked this Penny Arcade discussion on Thor. Yeah, it's old. Makes me laugh. These guys are funny.
Old 08-07-2015, 05:05 PM
ah’m margaret wartahm

I had zero investment in the Fantastic Four movie, but wow, this is pretty grim. Like the 50 Shades promotional tour, only that apparently turned out okay. Not the case here! What a bummer.
Old 08-07-2015, 05:12 PM
Programmed to Jingle

"In my personal opinion, the film isn't a complete train wreck" isn't really the most encouraging thing for a the guy whose job is to actually make the movie watchable to say.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:07 PM
twinkling photon

Sounds like Trank wanted a darker, more introspective movie in the vein of Ang Lee's Hulk, Fox wanted a "lighthearted" (read: some jokes, otherwise a big tonal question mark) MCU-style origin story, and between them they managed to make absolutely nothing

All I know is that come 2025, Fox is still going to write Dr. Doom as "guy who gets fucked up by the same experiment that created the F4, and has electric powers," because somehow nobody's figured out how to write a superhero origin movie where the bad guy is created through unrelated means
Old 08-07-2015, 07:35 PM
Find Your Reason

But seriously, how hard can it be? You have these rival 30-something genius scientific postgrads at a government think tank, one of them building future-soldier armor (which the audience can buy after the Iron and Ant Men) and the other is working either on dimensional portals or FTL space travel. No. 1 makes a mistake that No. 2 points out, No. 1 arrogantly dismisses him and tests out his suit, which blows up and disfigures and maybe cripples him. Blaming genius No. 2, he sabotages the latter's work, resulting in an accident during manned trials. Yadda yadda yadda, Fantastic Four, then Doom dons a bigger and meaner version of his suit because RICHAAAAAAAARDS!

I only added the sabotage bit to make Doom's situation all the more ironic and Hollywood-friendly, but other than that, their respective origin stories are dramatic and concise enough for a film treatment. While the first movie might have been leery of armored Doom*, I have no idea why the new one STILL messed with something that already worked.

And I was so looking forward to the Negative Zone and a sequel involving Annihilus and Blastarr...

* Sure, audiences wouldn't believe a guy could build a powered suit of armor before Iron Man, but apparently they could believe in Stretch Armstrong and the guy from The Shield turning into an orange-flavored golem. Right.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:43 PM
Programmed to Jingle

Well, if nothing else, a gritty FF reboot would definitely have had no problem with a guy whose job title is THE LIVING DEATH THAT WALKS.

You know, assuming it gets a sequel.

Whiiiiich it won't.
Man, and I even liked Rise of the Silver Surfer
Old 08-07-2015, 07:46 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Funnily enough, the second FF movie was on tonight. I still think it mostly works, although you can kinda tell that they wanted the blonde army officer to be Carol Danvers (she played a major role in the Ultimate version of the storyline that's the basis for the movie), but they didn't have the rights to use her so she turned into a Nova reference instead.

(Which is weird, as if Nova was part of the FF license, then they shouldn't have been able to use the Corps in Guardians).

The first one of those movies was kind of aimless, but this kinda held together. Admittedly, if you think Galactus can only look like the Kirby design you're still going to hate it, but if you can get past that it's mostly fine.

And it's fucking hilarious to see Evans as Johnny in retrospect. Not quite Bale-in-Newsies hilarious, but hilarious nevertheless.

Tags
brodude cinema , car door shield , cheadlicious , horny for lewis tan , horny for spider-man , marvel , marvel cinematic universe , mehhumans , movies , parker posey as , stan lee cameo