The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old Yesterday, 07:39 AM
Gesundheit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isrieri View Post
Giant (1956)
This was on TMC and I watched it with my grandmother. I didn't know who half of these people were. I had heard of Rock Hudson but hadn't seen him in anything, and had only heard of James Dean through his fame. Seeing him onscreen I instantly understood the hype. Back in the 50s he must have been a breath of fresh air.
I really have to see that one. It's one of those super-long, important, epic classics that's been on my list forever but I always pass over in favor of a shorter movie.

I wouldn't worry about not recognizing most of the actors. Classic Hollywood hinged around big-name stars like Dean, Taylor and Hudson supported by performers just working for a paycheck who only film buffs recognize these days. Whereas today movies have a few mega-stars surrounded by a vast landscape of recognizable character actors.
Old Yesterday, 08:47 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Marvel comics frequently brings up the fact that in that world, there are comic books based on real superheroes.
And that's my favorite pieces of world-building in those books, but it's never been a part of the movies before.
Old Yesterday, 09:16 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Marvel comics frequently brings up the fact that in that world, there are comic books based on real superheroes.
Do... they pay royalties?
Old Yesterday, 10:52 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
Th FF has a press-agent that relates their adventures to the writers at Marvel, so presumably they do at least.
Old Yesterday, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
I don't think so, but I do remember Steve Rogers had as a day job drawing the Captain America comic. Also because the Comic Code Authority is a gov't agency, the comics they produce are binding legal documents and admissible in a court of law. See Dan Slott's really good run on She-Hulk for more.
Old Today, 02:56 AM
Interstellar Private Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
And that's my favorite pieces of world-building in those books, but it's never been a part of the movies before.
And they're usually brought up in a very different context and tone.
Old Today, 07:55 AM
This Guy

I watched Message from the King on Netflix. Chadwick Boseman is great; the movie is not. Just a bleak and dark revenge movie that doesn't even have interesting fights.
Old Today, 12:36 PM
Not a Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I just finished watching Jupiter Ascending. What a weird movie! They spent like half of it flying around over stock footage of Chicago, then when they finally get to interesting looking areas they rush through everything as fast as they can. They spend way too much time with her family, and, Iím sure that this gets mentioned every time the movie comes up, but the love interest is a rollerblading werewolf who eventually gets a pair of wings. Itís pretty bad, but at least the back half is interesting. I actually think it would have worked better as a TV show.
No see, the rollerblading flying werewolf is good, actually, because he's the embodiment of what a teenage girl's id wants to fly away with, and that's really the theme of the entire movie. (I'm not being sarcastic here at all.)

I'll give you, however, that the interminable mostly-pointless action scenes around Chicago are not good. I tried re-watching and yeah, a lot of that first third is really a slog before more interesting stuff kicks in. And a lot of the early stuff with random bounty hunters and invisible grey aliens is pretty incoherent but not in the *fun* way that the back half of the movie is incoherent.

Tags
fast and fury road , fear of new threads , film , francoquest , francostein , james franco , jess franco , movies , reviews , wild speed: sky mission , you seen fury road , you'll like fury road