The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 11-09-2017, 01:29 PM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

It's great. Next question.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:39 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
Your video link is broken. Take out that line break in the tag.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:12 AM
Video Monster

Okay, back up to the New Adventures of Mighty Mouse.

I never saw the syndicated cartoon, but I did have a VHS of the movie-length Mighty Mouse: the Great Space Chase, which we'd found at some fleamarket or other. Apparently, this was adapted from a single episode of New Adventures and released to theaters as a way of capitalizing on the popularity of Star Wars.

It's not good or anything, but it was one of the most re-watched VHS movies in our house, to the point where it's all lodged in my head permanently. I was too young to get a lot of the silly wordplay jokes that are endemic to shows like this. So, for example, when Harry the Heartless (Oil Can Harry, space edition) says he's glad he didn't have to fly through the "Yogurt Way, because that stuff really sticks to your windows," I just assumed that the world of Mighty Mouse in Space had a galaxy made of yogurt. Or when Harry's ship hides in a black hole, it didn't come across so much as a gag, as just "oh sure, that's probably how black holes work."

I was actually surprised later in childhood when I learned that space stuff wasn't Mighty Mouse's main deal. I never saw more of the Filmation material, but I had several 6-hour cartoon tapes which had some of the 1940s Mighty Mouse shorts (particularly "Wolf! Wolf!"), and it always seemed strange to me how different they were. I didn't quite get the concept that these cartoons had 40 years between them.

Another thing was, that movie was my first exposure to Filmation, so when I'd later start watching He-Man on VHS, I was already nostalgic for the particular soundscape that's common to basically everything Filmation put out - voices, music, and sound effects.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:45 PM

The New Archie and Sabrina Hour AKA The Archie-Sabrina Show

There's actually two intros to this one, so unless I forget, I'll cover the second one (created for the new show title) next time. Anyway, this is a cartoon with Archie and Sabrina the Teenage Witch.

So with start with the Archies playing with a rather groovy baseline. I'll be honest, if I was to ask which Archie character would be the funkiest, it wouldn't be Reggie. It would either be either Pops or Big Ethel. I don't need to explain why. Reggie's more likely to be the kind of person who owns a double guitar but can't play for shit.

The cast of Sabrina is in the audience and Sabrina and whatever her boyfriends' name is are watching and nodding their heads and so do her three other friends behind them.

We then see some dogs nodding their heads. So I guess either Archie or Sabrina has a full cast of dog characters. Then we have Ms. Grundy, Mr. Weatherbee and some other adults (I think Pops, Archie's Dad and Mr. Lodge) also doing some head nodding.

It suddenly occurs to be that we aren't heading to a song. This is like when you are listening to a song and waiting for a full minute for the song part of the song to start.

And the band played on. And on. And the word love pops off the screen.

Then we see Archie playing. Then some guys applaud. Then Ms. Grundy appears in a heart with some weird looking motherfucker. What this guy's deal? Also, Ms. Grundy's clothes look like Olive Oyl's, which makes me think Filmation had the rights to Popeye and just popped off Olive's head and put on a new one.

Suddenly, Miss Grundy looks smug and the weirdo winks as if to say "Yeah, we fuckin'".

The group continues and we get shots of the lesser loved Archie characters, as well as Sabrina with a "you think you can fuck with me?" smirk to some poor soul who just picked a fight (physical or otherwise) with a lady who dances with the devil and speaks to the dead.

Also a dog that is NOT Jughead's dog Hot Dog nods his head. Then the Archies play some more. For a while. Then we see individual members of the Archies playing followed by a shot of a character clapping WAY too enthusiastically.

Then a quick shot of Archie, then we see the band playing under what I assume is the Star of Bethlehem.

Sabrina winds up the magic ball, throws it between shots of the band and I think that's whats supposed to make the titles appear.

Did it make me want to watch it?

Nope.

Now I look on Wikipedia to learn more about the show

It was apparently retooled as The Bang-Shang Lollapalooza Show, which I totally didn't just make up.

Fan Art

Cute, but WHAT'S WRONG WITH VERONICA'S FACE! WAS THIS THE PRICE OF THE WITCH'S CURSE? Or maybe just don't use permanent marker on lips.

Last edited by Johnny Unusual; 11-10-2017 at 02:02 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:55 AM

The Archie and Sabrina Surprise Package

Hey remember that Archie and Sabrina thing we talked about already? This is more of the same.

We start off with the Archies playing fanfare, which I think is not only outside of their musical genre, but also something that normally couldn't be played with those instruments. I don't know how Jughead got his drums to sound like a bunch of brasswind instruments, but the guy is talented. Meanwhile, Betty is playing the tamborine, meaning she wants to be a part of the band but has very little to contribute. I bet she's the person who brings napkins to a potluck.

Suddenly, Hot Dog bursts out of a birthday cake wearing a party hat! Then we see everyone's favourite Archie characters.

That's right! Archie! Sabrina! Moose! Suave guy! A robot! You know, all your favourites.

Next, Hot Dog pops out of Jughead's drum. Jughead doesn't seem to mind, so I guess he has disposable income to just go out and buy another drum or he doesn't care that much about the band and is ready to leave it due to dog interference.

We then see Veronica playing the piano. Then Archie, Jughead and Reggie do a little dance. Then the Suave Guy does a skateboard thing and is totally about to Fonzie's "Ayyyyyy!" before the camera abruptly cuts away.

Reggie hits either a white tennis ball or a baseball with a tennis racket, then we Sabrina close up, who winks and makes a "call me" gesture. Then we see the who cast, then a shot of the Archies playing again while the Scheimer/Prescott logo rotates. I will say, this time they put it in a part of the intro who is isn't quite so annoying, so I won't bitch about it this time.

Anyway, Sabrina throws a ball of magic that creates the show's title. Also, I'm getting glad that most of these intros are only about 30 seconds lately. Saves me a lot of time.

Sorry, faux-Fonz, not interested.

All of the female characters were voiced by one woman. Who probably wasn't paid individually for each voice.

Fan Art
I can't seem to find any more Archie + Sabrina fan art. Sorry.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:27 PM

The New Fantastic Four

Ah, the Fantastic Four, the best superhero team that no one seems to be able to get right outside of the comic page (and even that can be hit or miss). Though they've never had any good cartoons, their expensive big screen adaptations have not been successful. Of course, there's Roger Corman's Fantastic Four film, which was simply made because the fim rights were about to expire. And I guess it was never "expensive" or "big screen". "Adaptation" is correct, though generous.

After that garbage wreck, there was Tim Story's version. It, too, is terrible. Not as bad as a "will never get released" Roger Corman movie, but it's basically a dull situation comedy with no chemistry between the leads. Also, Doom is basically Electro in the world's scariest humanitarian mask. The sequel is also equally inert and decides that Galactus should just be a big space cloud that shows up for 16 seconds, as opposed to one of Marvel's coolest characters. Then there was another one which I hear is also a total snooze but even tries to not even attempt to be fun. Also, they got Doctor Doom wrong again.

Doctor Doom seems like he should be the MOST interesting villain around. But for some reason, movie types averse to a science-sorcerer who controls robots and rules is own nation and puts his name on everything that he can get his hands on. Oh, and he's second best at everything that the heroes are great at. Which sounds bad, but he's second best at ALL of the things, which is pretty impressive. Instead producers decide "hey, the audiences won't get it. What if he's just some guy who shoots energy?"

OK, sorry, now that I'm done making all the same complaints you've heard already (here are some extras: waste of great cast of characters/mythology, be actually fun and funny, just be The Incredibles with maybe less Ayn Rand, etc.), here's the cartoon version of the World's Greatest Comic Magazine, the NEW Fantastic Four.

OK, so we start off the intro as we should... a rocket (apparently NOT stolen, this time out) piloted by our heroes taking off to the stratosphere!

"It was the world's strangest accident!" proclaims a narrator who, surprisingly, ISN'T Stan Lee. "While testing a new rocket ship, our heroes were bombarded with mysterious cosmic rays from outer space."

This is pretty hippocritical of me, but is it fare to use the term "our heroes" before formally introducing them? You could have just said "a crew of astronauts" or "some intrepid explorers" or "Reed Richards and his girlfriend and his college buddy." Anyway, we see the three astronauts (we'll get to that) having that thing happen to them what the narrator said.

They crash land as the narrator tells as "Though they crashlanded safely, the strange and powerful ways had changed each one of them, transforming their leading in the plastic-skinned Mr. Fantastic."

I should point out it isn't just his skin that's "plastic" (not "elastic?") otherwise, this is him ripping apart all the muscle and sinew in his arm for the sake of helping his girlfriend out of a crashed plane.

Noble, but you could have walked back a few feet to give her a hand.

The narrator continues. "Sue Richards into the 'now you see her, now you don't' Invisible Girl." Well, I still see her, now she's just not coloured in. Oh and they start out married in this continuity? OK, I can live with that, I guess.

"And Ben Grimm into a mighty muscled powerhouse The Thing." Ben convulses a couple of times and then instead of an actual transformation sequence, the screen gets wavy and he's... just the Thing. That's pretty weak, show.

Also, I feel like that convulsing should be obscene but I can't imagine how. Usually, I'd say "Haw haw, he's masturbatin'" but his arms seem pretty firmly at his sides. Anyway, it looks like somebody didn't want to bother animating something cool like a guy turning into a monster, so this pretty much sets the tone, doesn't it?

"Together with H.E.R.B.I.E. the robot, the newest member of the group, they have become the greatest team of superheroes the world has ever known." H.E.R.B.I.E. then emerges from the spaceship, flies over to the others and they disappear and re-appear in costume.

OK, I have nothing bad to say about H.E.R.B.I.E. I haven't seen the show enough to dislike him and I don't care about the Human Torch (my least favourite of the OG FF) all that much. No, my issue is that he's the newest member of a team that formed 3 seconds ago! Like, he was INSIDE the ship with them. Maybe this is supposed to be an abstraction of the "true" events of the Fantastic Four's origin for the sake of the opening, but the fact that he's emerging from the ship and not just materializing or coming out of the woods is weird. I mean, I probably still would have giving the show some ball busting just via the nature of how I write, but it's weird that H.E.R.B.I.E. gets the "newest member" status the way a twin might mention that he's the "elder brother" by a few minutes.

Anyway the team members all put their hands together in a non-clapping way and the narrator declares them to be "The New Fantastic Four!"

I guess it didn't make me NOT want to watch it. Despite the show's reputation.

I knew this already but no, the Human Torch wasn't available due to a television rights issue, not because parents were afraid kids were going to set themselves on fire.

Also, apparently there are shorts on Disney XD where the show is re-edited and re-dubbed. Are these actually funny? Because if so, I want to check them out.

Fan Art
A surprising lack of H.E.R.B.I.E. fan art. I'm genuinely shocked. Mostly I get Herbie the Fat Fury (which is also commendable. But someone made a lego H.E.R.B.I.E. without legoes.

Old 11-14-2017, 12:38 PM
Mystery Contraption

I HAve seen numerous episodes of 70s Fantastic Four and believe you, me, itís hard to conceive of a more Octo television program.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
I HAve seen numerous episodes of 70s Fantastic Four and believe you, me, itís hard to conceive of a more Octo television program.
Elaborate! Public demands it!
Old 11-14-2017, 12:54 PM
Mystery Contraption

The most immediately memorable example being the episode where Reed defeats Magneto by painting a wooden toy gun grey, and then when he couldnít magnetize it, Magneto became so depressed thinking that his powers stopped working he just sadly took himself to jail.

Even after Reed explains to him that his powers are fine and he was tricked with a fake gun.

Also, Magneto travels everywhere by car, but heís Magneto, so he makes it hover, like, three feet off the ground. He still stops for gas.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Also, Magneto travels everywhere by car, but heís Magneto, so he makes it hover, like, three feet off the ground. He still stops for gas.
Sold.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:03 PM
ahím skunk rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
What a bop. I was into this.

Quote:
Also, scrolled back up to this while it was playing and briefly thought it was the actual video. I was like, "whoa, spooky! very witch appropriate!"
Old 11-14-2017, 01:11 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Man, the disconnect between the audio and visuals for that second Archie/Sabrina show is really upsetting. It's just wrong. The first one is so much better.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:48 PM

Watch this with the sound off...

While listening to this...

And you are pretty close to the situation.

*Tries it*

No wait, even they work better together.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:01 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
"It was the world's strangest accident!" proclaims a narrator who, surprisingly, ISN'T Stan Lee.
It was not the man. Apparently, it's Dick Tufeld (who was also the narrator for Thundarr the Barbarian).

Quote:

Also, I feel like that convulsing should be obscene but I can't imagine how. Usually, I'd say "Haw haw, he's masturbatin'" but his arms seem pretty firmly at his sides.
Maybe he's getting a BJ?
Old 11-14-2017, 09:08 PM
This Guy

Quote:
The most immediately memorable example being the episode where Reed defeats Magneto by painting a wooden toy gun grey, and then when he couldnít magnetize it, Magneto became so depressed thinking that his powers stopped working he just sadly took himself to jail.

Even after Reed explains to him that his powers are fine and he was tricked with a fake gun.

help me i'm dying
Old 11-14-2017, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torzelbaum View Post

Maybe he's getting a BJ?
The question is... from Sue or Reed? Or are they double teaming him? Regardless, it isn't from H.E.R.B.I.E., as he's still only seconds away from leaving the ship and "joining the team."
Old 11-14-2017, 09:27 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
The question is... from Sue or Reed? Or are they double teaming him?
You can't see anything so maybe it is Sue. But it could be that Reed is giving Ben a long-distance handie.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:42 PM
Just bear with me

Ben Grimm looks like Andy Richter in that cartoon.
Old 11-15-2017, 04:24 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArugulaZ View Post
Thank you, couldnít put my finger on it and that was driving me nuts.

Also, thereís something off about him having giant rock-lips.
Old 11-15-2017, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArugulaZ View Post
Best Thing-casting ever. THAT'S WHY THE PREVIOUS FILMS DIDN'T SUCCEED, HOLLYWOOD!
Old 11-16-2017, 11:00 AM

The New Fred and Barney Show

Before Fred and Barney TOTALLY HAD NOT met the Thing, Fred and Barney had to return to the TV landscape! And The New Fred and Barney Show isn't shy about making this a big deal. However, it was less than a year since there were new Flintstones cartoons, so it isn't a big deal. The only difference is, they hit the rewind button and Pebbles and Bam Bam aren't cool teens any more.

We start with Dino running around as a variation on the Flintstones theme that has that bland version of funk in it that only 70's cartoons seem to be able to pull off with perfect mediocrity.

Then Pebbles come out with Hoppy, a character name I only know through the Nintendo game and Bam Bam comes out with a third pet dinosaur. Too much, guys. That's too many pets.

We then see Fred running to the camera, then Dino watches and then Fred runs away from the Camera towards his house and Dino nods and Barney runs away from his house. Then Wilma and Betty are running. Dino gets super excited, which would happen to a dog if everyone in the neighborhood was running at the same time, seeming in random directions. If they are supposed to be heading the same way, it certainly doesn't read very well.

Anyway, we see the Flintstones house and pan over to the Flintstones in Fred's car as they speed off.

"Hey, the Flintstones,
Brand-new Flintstones,
Full of lots of fun and mystery."

Having watched a LOT of these openings, it occurs to me that the 70's, or at least Hanna Barbera and Filmation cartoons, were OBSESSED with the idea of "mystery". Was this simply because Scooby Doo was popular? Or because (and don't laugh because I'm actually kind of serious about this) the JFK assassination and Watergate helped popularize the idea that there are mysteries and conspiracies in the world, which perhaps also added to the popularity of cryptids and alien stuff, which is probably more kid friendly than political intrigue and murders? If anyone else has a theory about why cartoons were mystery-obsessed, I want to know.

Anyway, we get Fred Flintstone laughing to himself as he drives though a grim, dark forest full of monsters. It's a weird little moment that makes me think "Yeah, David Lynch could have directed some great Flintstone eps if he got the chance."

Then we get some regular, non-creepy Flintstones stuff like animals being used to run appliances and Dino chasing Fred.

Fred and Barney begins singing to each other.
"Hey Fred, it's the same old gang you know."
"Yeah Barn, in a top, new kind of show!"

We then see the whole gang in the Flintstone family car, driving real slow but leaning back like they are having to endure 25Gs of force.

LIKE THE WIND!

"Flintstones! All new Flintstones!"
We then see Fred facing the camera while driving.

"Have a yabba-dabba doo time!"

Barney continues
"A just for you time!"

"We''ll have a great old time!"
Says the theme song in, perhaps, a "No homo!" sort of way since Bedrock in the 70's were no longer gay. But as we all know, this changed back (Rascally, if you are reading this, I think you know what to post).

Anyway, the duo drive under a sign that says "The Fred and Barney Show" with a pteradon adding the word "New".

"Hey look, Fred, we're all new!" Says Barney.
"You said it, Barn." adds a surprisingly happy Fred, who I suspect is bottling up his anger that seems to be ever present with the character to torment Barney shortly after the credits end.

About as much as any other Flintstones. So very litt.e

"Some plots were familiar Flintstones stories while others consisted of new misadventures with witches and werewolves, as well as spoofs of late 1970s fads."

To be fair, I could see the Flintstones having a pet rock long before it became popular.

Fan Art

DC Comics, you know you can make this happen now. After Batman Meets Elmer Fudd, I'm shocked you haven't.

"Why is no one buying my 'the Flinstones suffer intestinal distress' collection from Etsy?"

I did not expect Alexander Payne's Downsizing to he a secret backdoor to the Hanna Barbera Extended Cinematic Universe. Ignoring what I am assuming is a fetish angle to this (though if so, it is kind of tame), I love Fred's gormless expression as he ignores his plight and just enjoys his thimble of vodka.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:40 PM
ahím skunk rogue

The first few seconds... what a jam. Then the classic music comes back; gr8.

I was obsessed with the Flintstones as a child, because of the live-action movie.* (first film I remember seeing in theaters, actually) That fandom didn't continue until adulthood, so I wondered if maybe the live action movies might've produced a weird situation where children who grew up in the 60s and 90s were into them, but no one else. It looks like they had consistent media presence in the 70s and 80s, though. (for example... this show) Maybe not so relevant to people who grew up after the millennium.

*distinctly remember a sensationalist local news clip about how children are imitating Sexy Halle Berry in that film, which I did not think to imitate beforehand
Old 11-16-2017, 06:34 PM

I wonder if there was ever a good episode of anything Flintstone related.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:41 PM
Just bear with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
I wonder if there was ever a good episode of anything Flintstone related.
Well, there was this!