The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 09-10-2017, 12:35 PM
is Earnest

Skills are something that the DM can ask the players to roll if the outcome is uncertain. If the outcome is certain, then there shouldn't be a roll in the first place.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:38 AM
is Earnest

Tortles are here! The flat AC makes it really easy to create strength monks, rangers, rogues, and bards. What a cool race option.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:33 PM
King Of Space-Time

playing the roles on twitch
Old 09-24-2017, 10:49 PM
An Animal of Joy

Session 3 of my Bloodborne inspired campaign. The players are getting into trying to uncover the mystery of the city and trying to figure out why they're still alive. They went and cleaned up an injured beast that they avoided before by jumping out a window at the last moment, then drove off the remnant of the mob that killed them before. It was a fairly static battle, to my disappointment. I'm realizing they're going to be trying to stay together a lot for healing and granting sneak attack dice (it's a cleric and a rogue) so I'll have to map out my encounters more carefully from now on to create tempting reasons to move.

They're spending a lot of time talking to the NPCs which has been fun because I'm writing actual dialogue for them this time. That's only possible due to the monthly schedule. It also meant they didn't get through all the encounters I had planned, so I'm finally ahead of the game, planning wise.

I found some great new models in the Wrath of Kings line that are perfect for beasts, kin, and the denizens of the fishing hamlet. Almost have my first wave all painted up and ready to go.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:03 AM
is Earnest

Some good tools to get players to move: grapples, silence, area of effect spells (cloud of daggers, create bonfire), shifting ground, rising water, levers/buttons/things to interact with, and generally giving them goals other than killing the enemy. I've been thinking a lot about how I tend to use lots of different enemies to keep fights interesting, but it would be a good challenge to try to make a lot of interesting fights using the same enemies. Like, 15 different fights against goblins. It would push me to come with more interesting situations and challenges instead of just depending on enemy abilities.

Also, my home game played another two sessions set in the druid's hometown. There was a ton of build up to this, and I'm happy that it went well. The last session ended with a drider grabbing the druid's dad and pulling him through a portal into another plane. The players have to decide if they'll follow them, or follow up on some advice from the war cleric's god. I really don't know what they'll do, should be interesting.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:18 AM
Space Patrol LancerECNM

My character got one-shot by a water weird. So that happened. He was stabilized successfully, and is the best at healing, so the second he has 1 HP he'll have all his HP. I plan on playing it off as no big deal. "Nah, it wasn't THAT bad. How hard can water bite? I'm fine. It was fine."
Old 09-25-2017, 09:21 AM
An Animal of Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Some good tools to get players to move: grapples, silence, area of effect spells (cloud of daggers, create bonfire), shifting ground, rising water, levers/buttons/things to interact with, and generally giving them goals other than killing the enemy.
Yeah, I've been thinking about some of these tricks, and you've added a few new ones I hadn't. I think there's also some good sections on it in the 3e Dungeonscape and 4e DMG2 that I should review about how to create movement.

Thing is, I used a few tricks, but it wasn't enough to draw them out of staying side-by-side in a corner of the map. There were ranged attackers, plus cover they could have used to move up the map. It was a large, circular encounter area they could have used to control where they engaged the melee attackers too. Some things I could have improved would be making the space even larger, and yeah, having the enemies try to drag the players and throw them into the massive bonfire that was the central terrain piece.

I thought the pressure from the ranged attackers would be greater, but I'm still getting used to 5e. It's pretty easy to give the attacker disadvantage (dim light, a little smoke, a low wall) and the players just felt like that was good enough when they parked where they did. Granted, they almost got shot to death a couple times, but I wonder if they'll still make the same decision next time.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:21 PM
TARANTUL

If you have a team of two with a Cleric/Rouge I wouldn't ever expect them to split up. The best healing is touch range and the rogue needs a sneak attack buddy.

I would focus on setting up fights where they actually need to stick together or things try to split them, instead of encouraging it as a tactic in general.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:35 PM
:O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
If you have a team of two with a Cleric/Rouge I wouldn't ever expect them to split up. The best healing is touch range and the rogue needs a sneak attack buddy.
Yeah, considering that sticking together is going to be the general way both characters get to use their class abilities, artificially doing stuff with levers etc. to try to split them up is just going to feel like you're trying to remove the whole reason they're playing that character. Essentially if enemies do things TO them it feels like a challenge. If you try to make THEM do something, it'll feel like you're manipulating them into doing what they don't want to do.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:43 PM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

Yep, any other class combo you might have a chance but those two rely too much on fighting together in combat.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:19 AM
An Animal of Joy

Hmm, thanks for the insights. I'll just have to try and work with it. Maybe even treat them as a sort of single, compound character when I'm designing encounters, and give treasures that strengthen their link even further. I don't know what off the top of my head, but I'm sure there's something.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:29 AM
We just don't know.

Finally back to our main campaign after a month and a half. We ventured into a shrine and fought a corrupted Dragon Turtle which steam-breathed us twice (Paladin failed both con saves and landed at literally 1 HP). Found a cool +1 trident with waterborne (will always come back in water, e.g. after being thrown) and a charge of dominate beast (for swimming-speed monsters). Fought a sorceress and three slads; first she polymorphed our ranger into a fish (we were on land so that was pretty inconvenient, but she only lost one turn before I got an insta-Dispel Magic on her by casting at 4th) and then crown of madness'd our paladin. We also found a cloak of the manta ray. Between the trident and the cloak, our Paladin can now speak Sahuagin, has a swim speed of 60, has advantage on swimming-related ability checks, can mind-control a water creature, and I feel like I'm forgetting something else. QUEEN OF THE SEAS!
Old 09-28-2017, 03:24 PM
disguised king of surfing

so she's aquawoman?
Old 09-29-2017, 10:27 AM
We just don't know.

Well she can only talk to evil fish right now. But yeah, just about.
Old 09-30-2017, 07:38 AM
An Animal of Joy

Just finished painting up the large models I got to serve as large beasts in my Bloodborne themed campaign. I should have put a character model in for scale, but these are 3-4 inches tall. These are from CMON's Wrath of Kings line. I have a large flesh golem coming up, and 3 small beasties too.

Edit: corrected scale.

Last edited by Traumadore; 09-30-2017 at 01:53 PM.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:50 AM
TARANTUL

Those are incredible!
Old 09-30-2017, 01:59 PM
An Animal of Joy

Thanks! They could have been a lot better because the Wrath of Kings line has dense plastic + really shitty mold lines that I just don't care to truly address. They could also benefit from gap filling, but again I just have too much going on to get bogged down with that stuff. I'm no perfectionist, hehe.

I only just started experimenting more making base inserts from air-dry clay and using the grass tufts, and I think that turned out great and didn't take more than a few minutes.
Old 10-01-2017, 05:25 PM
We just don't know.

Those are Super Rad.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:05 AM
is Earnest

Traumadore: those are super cool. Do you have minis for players and normal monsters too? I would love to play in a game where the DM put in that much effort.

In my home game we've been using the Slow Natural Healing variant. I initially started using it because I felt that the game was too easy and wanted to put a strain on the players resources without just throwing more fights and more difficult fights at the players. I don't think it's done what I wanted it to though, because it only puts a strain on healing and players still have tons of spells and abilities each day. Keeping track of hit die is a bit of an annoyance too, since long rests restore up to half of their level. Plus, the players adapted by spending more money on healing potions.

Looking back through my notes, I realized that I have about 6-8 encounters per adventure, which lines up with the recommendation for the adventuring day. It might make more sense to have long rests heal to full and restore all spells, abilities, and resources, but require a few days of rest in a town or other peaceful setting. Short rests still operate normally, and you still have to sleep at night to avoid getting levels of exhaustion. It seems like a better fit for the way that we've already been playing. I'm going to talk to my players this week to see if they would be up for trying it out.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:14 AM
Inherently Stealthy

The 5e rest mechanics are tuned to support a specific grind-heavy dungeon crawl playstyle. Unfortunately most fixes for them wind up completely hosing Rangers (who depend on long rest spells to supplement their meager class features) and supercharge Warlocks (who mostly recharge on short rest).

One solution is to make Rangers a short-rest spellcasting class like Warlocks, and then put a cap on the number of short-rest spell slot recharges between long rests.

Another solution is to not link short rests or long rests to real-world time; instead all definitions of "day" are based on a number of encounters.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:27 AM
is Earnest

Oh yeah, we don't have any short rest heavy classes in our current campaign, so I didn't take that into account. The rotating cast includes a cleric, a druid, a thief rogue, 2 sorcerers, and a champion fighter NPC (mostly a meatbag). That's probably a good thing to consider though. I'd rather not redesign classes or make resource recovery arbitrary. Two solutions that come to mind: you don't gain the benefit of a short rest unless you recover HP using hit die (to put an overall limit on the number of short rests); preventing short rests in a dungeon or dangerous areas (since I tend to group 2-3 encounters together anyway).

Actually, giving Rangers the Land Druid spell recovery feature or something similar for hunter's mark probably wouldn't hurt, if that ever came up.

Last edited by Patrick; 10-03-2017 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:36 AM
We just don't know.

yeah, Land Druid and some sort of Wizard (I think?) both have an ability to recharge some spell slots on a short rest, but only once per long rest. The PHB Ranger could benefit from something similar.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:51 AM
An Animal of Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Traumadore: those are super cool. Do you have minis for players and normal monsters too? I would love to play in a game where the DM put in that much effort.
Yeah, we typically do the whole painted minis + grid mat + wet-erase markers setup. My players have always been into the strategy aspects heavily, but have been a little more willing to role-play in recent years. Also there was a time when a couple of us worked in a game store in the era when WoTC was selling those 8 figure blind boxes, and I eventually acquired everyone else's collections. We actually got a ton of use out of them just playing the skirmish game as well.

My current goal is to finish another 8 assorted fantasy minis I got recently, then paint my Dark Souls set, then paint my Descent first edition set (with all expansions.) Maybe even my Heroquest set some day. I finally want to just get them all ready to use for D&D as well, because that's what we actually play.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:02 AM
is Earnest

I took one last crack at my character sheet and cleaned up a few things I wasn't happy with.

I also made a form fillable version, here. In the end, it's not radically different from the default sheets. I added age, height & weight, max HP, and a save DC box. I got rid of death saves, temp HP, inspiration, alignment, experience points, player name, and skills that the player isn't proficient in (I feel like having the whole list on the sheet makes the player feel restricted to those actions). If anyone wants to use it they are welcome to, and if it doesn't fit your game I highly recommend using photoshop to make your own version. It's a lot of fun, and you end up with a sheet that feels better for your table.

Also, since I ran Death House last October, I decided to run a bit more of the Cure of Strahd this year. The players were trying to use a portal to get to the Feywild, but hands made of mist reached out and pulled them back into Barovia. They were really excited once they figured out it was a Halloween section again. We started in Krezk and met up with Esmerelda. The next few sessions are going to be traveling around collecting the items they need to kill Strahd. The castle is way too big, so I'm going to leave that for something they can return to after they finish up their main homebrewed quest, but I think I'll end it with a big showdown somehow.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:27 PM
We just don't know.

We hit level 10 at the end of our last adventure, and last night we came back to some housekeeping. In our 2nd-level adventure, we saved a town from some goblins, and ended up kind of hanging around there. Eventually, they gave us a building at the edge of town and we set up an adventurer's guild hall/tavern/inn there as our kind of Headquarters/home base (we named it The Gladiator's Glaive after our fallen NPC comrade) and we display trophies from our adventures there.

Last night, we spent the whole session in town. The DM set up characters as the Glaive's employees and also refreshed/fleshed out the other townspeople. One of us was asked to join the town council (we chose the paladin). We went about wanting to expand the Glaive, but got a bit of wariness/minor pushback from the town. Nothing too dramatic, but some people uncertain about an influx of adventurers and new growth leaving the miners behind, stuff like that. So the DM set up a skill challenge (based on 4e I guess? He said he got it from an online DM guy), where we had to go around using our skill checks (only proficient ones, and each character can only use a given skill once. We ended up convincing enough people with enough leeway to get everything set up, so we'll be expanding somehow! It was fun putting together the network of who wants what and how to bring people on board.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:48 AM
aol keyword: mike

Paul, congrats on getting a home base/HQ! Our campaign just sorted out a tax problem with ours (we had to come up with property tax due to the size of the manor) and things are finally going our way.

Have you guys started any brainstorming on expansion/upgrades yet?

Tags
concentration , dungeons and dragons , edition wars , gith racism , penalty for being bard , tasha's hideous slaughter