The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 07-29-2010, 12:21 AM
I say thee neigh

Default Excelsior, True Believers! The Mighty Marvel Movie Thread

Because really, do we need seperate threads for
-Thor
-Captain America
-Avengers
-Iron Man 3
-Any potential sequels to Cap or Thor
-X-Men: First Class
-Spider-Man: We Started Over And This Time We Made It For Less Than 100 Million Dollars
-The potential cosmic characters they're talking about doing movies for (Infinity Gauntlet was at Comic-con
-Etc

To start the thread on a high note, here's the trailer for Thor that was shown at Comic-Con. I liked it! Kinda reminded me of 80s/early 90s scifi, which is probably a bad thing for some people, but yo fuck Avatar and da prequel Trilogy son
Old 07-29-2010, 12:50 AM
Follow the fuck-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by onimaruxlr View Post
-Thor
-Captain America
-Avengers
-Iron Man 3
-Spider-Man: We Started Over And This Time We Made It For Less Than 100 Million Dollars
-The potential cosmic characters they're talking about doing movies for (Infinity Gauntlet was at Comic-con
-Etc

To start the thread on a high note, here's the trailer for Thor that was shown at Comic-Con. I liked it! Kinda reminded me of 80s/early 90s scifi, which is probably a bad thing for some people, but yo fuck Avatar and da prequel Trilogy son
topless robot apparently asked some marvel dudes about the infinity gauntlet and they said that it is just going to be a cameo in Odin's trophy hall.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:51 AM
Conquers the World

I still choose to be optimistic for the Spider-man reboot just because I disliked a lot of Raimi's take on the franchise and I want somebody else to have a turn.

Thor looks totally badass though. But there's only one thing that could make it perfect. Oh well, there's always the sequel.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:09 AM
This Guy

I am excited for Thor to an unhealthy degree. I can't wait to be disappointed by what in my mind is easily the best superhero movie ever. The best part'll be when he smacks something with his hammer. Every time Thor wrecks something or someone with Mjolnir will be the best part.

I could care less about the rest right now, though I bet I go see most of them.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:12 AM
Condiment connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
I still choose to be optimistic for the Spider-man reboot just because I disliked a lot of Raimi's take on the franchise and I want somebody else to have a turn.
This, here. Also, I'd like to see a cameo by a random Marvel character--most likely the Hulk or Cap.
Quote:
Thor looks totally badass though. But there's only one thing that could make it perfect. Oh well, there's always the sequel.
Exactly. He'll punch Loki around for the first movie, and then afterward we get all the really cool stuff.

And Badger, the best part of Thor will be when he hits anybody with anything while he is Thor, not super-built Donald Blake.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:20 AM
Conquers the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymooo View Post
And Badger, the best part of Thor will be when he hits anybody with anything while he is Thor, not super-built Donald Blake.
I'm not even sure they're using Don Blake. I think they might be basing his earth form on Simonson's version, in which he basically had the worst secret identity ever.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:23 AM
Condiment connoisseur

"Hello girly-man, I am beeg Norse man named Thor?"
Old 07-29-2010, 04:52 AM
This Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymooo View Post
He who wields the hammer is Thor. It says so right on the brick on a stick.

And I am glad they are using the classic hammer and not the Ultimate one.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:37 AM
Hawkguy

Some screen caps from the Comic-Con Thor trailer

hee hee hee
Old 07-29-2010, 07:55 AM
Hawkguy

Here's the Thor trailer! Watch it while it's still up!
Old 07-29-2010, 01:13 AM
Cranky Geezer In Training

The design is sort of odd. It looks like they're going for a mix between the classic wackiness of the Marvel Norse pantheon (Loki's "what do you mean I'm overcompensating?" horned helmet, etc) and a more modern look (several of the armor suits look like someone took armor out of [insert Halo-wannabe FPS here] and stuck a cape on), and I can't decide if the end result is ok, or really annoying.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:49 AM
kevin, tix, five

Quote:
Originally Posted by onimaruxlr View Post
-Thor
-Captain America
-Avengers
-Iron Man 3
-Etc

Movies coming out anywhere from a six months to years apart? Yeah, I'd argue you do need new threads. Or hey, maybe let's just have one thread about movies, cause they're all movies, right?

But anyway, fun trailer.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:53 AM
d.o_o.b

what dvd covers will you go for

holographic

or embossed foil
Old 07-30-2011, 12:08 PM
It's all good, man

Howard Stark is pretty damn old to be Tony's dad, too.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:11 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Howard Stark is pretty damn old to be Tony's dad, too.
How old is movie Tony? He looked about ten in Howard's World Fair videos from the second film, which were, what, late seventies?
Old 07-30-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
How old is movie Tony? He looked about ten in Howard's World Fair videos from the second film, which were, what, late seventies?
I'm going by how old RDJ is in real life since he can't be depicted as being younger or older. So... 1975 during the World Fair video bloopers?

RDJ's dad was born in 1937, and Howard Stark must have been at least 26 that year because I'm guessing he is 30 years old in Captain America, unless he is more of a boy genius and is a lot younger. Which must mean Howard Stark was 54 when he had Tony. I can't even be close to accurate because Howard Stark's age isn't even given in Captain America.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:33 AM
It's all good, man

I didn't love Iron Man 3, but I really liked it a lot, and I think the only real reason people might prefer the first is because it was first. Great cast, constant great laugh lines (you can definitely tell Shane Black worked on the script), and better action than the first two movies. I kind of wish they addressed what SHIELD was up to, but it was a solid Iron Man movie that also acknowledged the change in the scope of the cinematic universe post-Avengers.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:29 PM
I say thee neigh

Yeah, echoing what other folks said, without accounting for the sheer novelty and freshness of the first movie, Iron Man 3 is probably the best of the three. Best villain, best action, best character stuff, pretty much everything best except the marquee suit of armor.

that fuckin gold things a travesy
Old 05-03-2013, 04:33 PM
Are You Sure About That?

It does have a suitably heroic finish though. Came back from seeing it and nabbed an Awakening Streetpass somewhere along the way. I liked it a lot, and it's probably in contention for the best IM movie with 1.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:06 PM
Indecisive Epicure

One more in the echo chamber. Saw it, loved it, found it best of the films thus far. One of my viewing party agreed, another declared it the worst, but was unable to provide any reason for his opinion aside from disliking their treatment of the villain, and how they were defeated. He also simultaneously agreed that the action and plot were the best of the series. We conceded the second was more hilarious, though this one carried its own. Once I was finally out of the theater, my brain did start shotgunning plot holes in the film, but I still loved it. Especially glad the third act wasn't weak this time around.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:03 PM
GASP

Personally, I loved how the villain was defeated. Some serious badassery from a character who needed to show some.

So.... did Tony cure Pepper, or did he stabilize her? I think this was kept deliberately vague.

Post-credits bit was excellent, after I confirmed with the husband that the other guy was who I thought he was. I'm not good with faces so I tend to have a hard time recognizing actors unless they're how-can-you-not-know-him-have-you-been-living-under-a-rock-for-fifteen-years level famous.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:54 AM
New Video World is out!

Glad to hear. I'm looking forward to checking it out.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:17 AM
oh my car

I'm not a particularly canny critic of television, but it seems like if you approach it in the spirit of wanting to enjoy a comic book TV show, the creators will live up to their end of the bargain and give you something fun to watch.

I may be biased, though. I don't have strong opinions about Joss Whedon, though this episode didn't make me want to start having them. Also, to better indicate my own hopes and expectations for the show, I may refer to it from now on as The Agent Phil Coulson Show Starring Clark Gregg.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:20 AM
It's all good, man

Watch:

Old 10-24-2013, 12:16 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

I liked the original Cap more than any other Marvel movie to date except for MAYBE the first Iron Man (and even that's a close-cut thing), but there's a few warning signs.

- We all know the new costume sucks (albeit in a completely different way than the Avengers' version's suckage, which is impressive if you think about it). I'm reminded a bit too much of the Schumacher-era Batsuits, for some reason. Hopefully it's a "symbol of SHIELD being corrupt" thing and they just bring back the WWII outfit by the end of the movie.

- Seems as though they have two movies mixed in here: Cap being uncomfortable with SHIELD's role in the world (which would be really interesting, in a of-the-moment context a la Dark Knight), and the Winter Soldier. I don't know if the latter idea is pre-sold with the general audience, since Bucky's death was pretty underplayed in the original movie. I know it would've taken a REALLY good line away from TLJ, but I've always felt the one flaw with that movie is that he really should've "died" in Cap's final mission.

(Is the Winter Soldier's identity really a spoiler? They showed a pretty clear shot of his face in the trailer... anyway, glad that his outfit wasn't tweaked much, right down to the comic-style robotic arm.)

- I know why they did it (namely, Emily VanCamp being unknown outside of anyone who watches Revenge, Johnansson is a marquee name), but I would've liked to see more of Sharon Carter and less of the Widow. Of course, they could be going the way of those awful Avengers DTVs and hooking Cap and the Widow up....

- I saw no sign of GSP as Batroc. If there is any person out there who is not in agreement that the lack of Batroc is a terrible thing for the fate of the world, I don't want to know you.

Anyway, I assume the whole point of this is that Redford is the Skull in disguise and / or transfigured by the Cosmic Cube, which is as good a plot as any other and reminiscent of just about every great Cap story in history.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:31 PM
It's all good, man

I think there's so much Black Widow in the trailer because she's already established as an ass-kicking lady people know. I'm guessing Sharon is still Cap's main romantic interest in these movies going forward. This is still pretty much a teaser trailer and there's not much about the real plot or the villains besides some cool shots of the Winter Soldier.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:40 PM
Hawkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
(Is the Winter Soldier's identity really a spoiler? They showed a pretty clear shot of his face in the trailer... anyway, glad that his outfit wasn't tweaked much, right down to the comic-style robotic arm.)
There weren't any clear shots of his face in the trailer. The one without his facemask is obscured with smoke.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:33 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sraymonds View Post
There weren't any clear shots of his face in the trailer. The one without his facemask is obscured with smoke.
I meant the facemask one - it's pretty obvious it's Bucky just from the nose up. Not that they could've done anything about it short of some major prosthetic work.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:35 PM
It's all good, man

It's been a couple years since the movie came out and I'm sure a lot of people have not even thought about the character in a while.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:24 PM
New Video World is out!

My Storm sense went off, is someone shit talking her in here?

Tags
brodude cinema , car door shield , cheadlicious , horny for lewis tan , horny for spider-man , marvel , marvel cinematic universe , mehhumans , movies , parker posey as , stan lee cameo