The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 08-03-2011, 10:24 AM
Your life is forfeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
One other point in Xenogears favor: Upon reading The God Delusion, I realized that XG's whole "waves" thing was actually not complete pseudo-scientific bullshit, but actually had some basis in a hypothesis taken seriously by many scientists of note.
These things are not mutually exclusive!
Old 08-03-2011, 09:20 PM
Not Constantinople

I think I know what you mean, but still, I suggest reading The God Delusion to see what I mean. Even if you still end up disagreeing, you've read a good book (this from someone that still sometimes believes in God), and that's never a loss.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:19 PM
Indecisive Epicure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitayre View Post
If there is one good thing about this game it is that the little voice clips that play whenever Billy attacks are all completely awesome and I never got tired of hearing them.
I was always fond of Fei's head-butts. BOOYA!

This game's actually near the very top of my queue for giving a replay to. I actually loved this game pretty intensely for most of the way through, back then, but my memory of a lot of the later game is pretty groggy... I do remember that once I reached the Tower of Babel, I stopped playing for several weeks, because one of my friends had constantly warned me how much I would hate the dungeon. But, when I finally forced myself to go for it, I was pretty surprised to find I enjoyed it. :/
Old 04-06-2012, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
Anyway, while I still enjoy the gameplay and even the dungeon exploration (though everything in Solaris was twice as long as it needed to be, especially the escape route) I've come to forgive the story (if not the storytelling) for what it is. It's not that it's pretentious or overwrought, it's just that the writers had so many ideas in their heads, probably after spending a drunken night doing the late-90s equivalent of a Wikipedia chain on Gnosticism, that they were too excited about using them without consulting an editor first. It's like amateur fanfiction --it means well, and sincerely wants to tell an interesting story, yet they had so many religious/mythological concepts to work with, and they all seemed so cool and interesting, they couldn't bear to do away with any of them, so they crammed them all in. Even if they contradicted each other at times, or led to dead-end plotlines/characters, or ended up as nothing but obscure theological namedrops.

(I mean, how the HELL did that small hill with the pod containing Elly v0.1 manage to stay completely hidden from at least three major, technologically-advanced civilizations until the end of the game?)

There's a lot of love in the game, it's just an unskilled delivery of that love. A good director, and a much better editor, could probably elevate it to the level its creators originally intended.
bumping this thread to quote this. perfectly sums up my feelings on the game's story, and why i love it even though its flawed as fuck
Old 06-15-2017, 10:33 PM
Out Of Warranty

Pronouns: He/him
Default Thread, come forth!

Kotaku's Jason Schreier asked Tetsuya Takahashi point-blank about what happened with Disc 2.

Quote:
As it became clear that Takahashi and team weren’t going to hit their deadlines, Square’s higher-ups suggested that they just end the game after the first disc, when Fei and his team escape from Solaris.

“It was a rough way to end it, and I felt like if we do that, then the players will not be satisfied,” Takahashi told me. “So we had a proposal—I proposed that if we do disc 2 in this way that it turned out to be, we can finish the game with the current number of staff and the current time allotted for the schedule and the remaining budget we have.”
So they did run out of time, but they added Disc 2 not because it was a placeholder or because their superiors told them they had to finish the game, but because otherwise it would have ended in a cliffhanger.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:17 PM
Discordia

Pronouns: she / her

Quote:
Xenogears, widely considered one of the greatest role-playing games ever made,
LOL

Seriously though, it does make sense that they wanted to finish the story in spite of the looming deadline. It's nice to finally hear what happened there.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:29 AM
so exciting!

If only they had waited until the PS2 era where multi part games were the new hotness.

Although man can you imagine th outrage if they had gone that route and people had to wait 3 or 4 years for Xenogears 2 and when it came out it was all massive zombie apocalypse
Old 06-16-2017, 05:07 AM
Fifth Business

As a teenager, a friend asked to borrow my copy of Xenogears after I said I wasn't really feeling it, and so I lent them Disc 1. They played it, loved it, awhile later gave it back, asked if they could borrow Disc 2 to finish the game, told them SURE and handed it over...and decided, eh, why not give playing the game myself another shot? This time for whatever reason the game clicked and I fell in love it completely and absolutely, and then I got to the end of Disc 1, AND...the friend who had Disc 2 was gone for the rest of the year, and wouldn't be back until the summer.

The wait.

It was agonizing.

So, yes, I'm very glad they didn't try to just release Disc 1 as the whole game, as I speak from experience when I say UNREWARDING POINT TO LEAVE OFF ON FOR A PROLONGED TIME.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:22 AM
O tempora! O morays!

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deptford View Post
As a teenager, a friend asked to borrow my copy of Xenogears after I said I wasn't really feeling it, and so I lent them Disc 1.
What is your opinion on Xenoblade
Old 06-16-2017, 08:30 AM
This Guy

I wanted to get into Xenoblade, but it just didn't come out at the Reyn time.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:39 AM

kinda wish i knew about this thread when i was replaying this towards the end of last year because I had a lot to say w/r/t how much i liked the game upon return but now i don't have anything to say except
Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
What is your opinion on Xenoblade
lol
Old 06-16-2017, 09:30 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positronic Brain View Post
Kotaku's Jason Schreier asked Tetsuya Takahashi point-blank about what happened with Disc 2.
There's a suspicious lack of confessions to how much they loved Evangelion in that response.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:27 AM
Out Of Warranty

Elly's figure is available for pre-order at Square-Enix's European store and it's looking good.

There's a Weltall figure, too, but unfortunately is not at scale
Old 09-06-2018, 06:27 AM
Find Your Reason

Amazon has to deliver her via drone because it's dangerous to -Drive- this figure.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:46 AM
Not Constantinople

Quote:
Amazon has to deliver her via drone because it's dangerous to -Drive- this figure.
You go sit in time-out and think about what you've just done.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:29 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
You go sit in time-out and think about what you've just done.
Yeah, I don't know what possessed me to-- hey, why do I have blue hair all of a
Old 09-06-2018, 09:08 AM
does the Underpants Dance

Pronouns: he/him

Here's a vinyl soundtrack collection for Xenogears. It's nothing new since the tracks are from previous arrange albums, but it's a vinyl!
Old 09-06-2018, 11:32 PM
Out Of Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by YangusKhan View Post
Here's a vinyl soundtrack collection for Xenogears. It's nothing new since the tracks are from previous arrange albums, but it's a vinyl!
Uh. It's a two disc collection.

I hope Disc Two is nothing but a voice describing what the music sounds like. It would be really ~on brand~.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:06 AM

The original OST is just 2 CDs IIRC, so it's not unreasonable that it would only be 2 vinyl disks.

That said.

What's really the purpose of putting a digitally synthesized soundtrack on an analog format?
Old 09-07-2018, 12:23 AM
Out Of Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
The original OST is just 2 CDs IIRC, so it's not unreasonable that it would only be 2 vinyl disks.

That said.

What's really the purpose of putting a digitally synthesized soundtrack on an analog format?
It's not the original OST, they are curated tracks from Creid and ~Myth~.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:12 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
I hope Disc Two is nothing but a voice describing what the music sounds like. It would be really ~on brand~.
One day, when we're all old and gray, we'll sit in our rocking chairs under a spotlight while listening to "Our Village is Number One".
Old 09-07-2018, 03:33 PM
Out Of Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont View Post
chrono cross has a pretty great ost, as well, but i'll always prefer xenogears if not for lahan village alone.
As good as it is, the version in ~Myth~ is so much better that it makes the original feel like a chip tune in comparison. Mind blowing, I know, but it's true.

As an aside, I first played Xenogears in a demo disc (Parasite Eve's?) and I went entirely blind with no knowledge about the game. But after listening to Lahan's theme a couple times, it dawned on me that this had to be the newest game from Chrono Trigger's composer (it has a Millennial Fair air to it). I was already half in love with the game by then, but an Altavista search to confirm my findings cinched it - no way I was going to miss a whole new game's worth of songs by this Mitsuda guy.

Last edited by Positronic Brain; 09-07-2018 at 04:08 PM.
Old 09-07-2018, 03:53 PM
PROGRAMMED BY NASIR

Pronouns: ♂

My giveaway clue of the Chrono Trigger DNA was when I discovered Shevat had a Balthasar, Gaspar, and Melchior, and it was a big floating city where everyone thought they were superior to land-dwellers and I was all like "WAIT A FUCKIN' MINUTE".
Old 09-07-2018, 03:57 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
As good as it is, the version in ~Myth~ is so much better that it makes the original feel like a chip tune in comparison. Mind blowing, I know, but it's true.
I absolutely LOVE the version from CREID. It's seriously one of my Happy Places:

At points, it seems very Chrono-ish; at others, it's like a festival in Bilbo's Shire. It takes this happy, mellow theme from the OST and turns it into a lively festivity that you can easily picture people dance to, clacking castanets and shaking panderetas.

The Myth version is more "traditionally" atmospheric, but instead of making the theme festive, it makes it pastoral, and honestly I can't decide which one fits it better, they're both so good:

Old 09-07-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:
As an aside, I first played Xenogears in a demo disc (Parasite Eve's?)
Can we just talk about how bonkers that demo is for a minute? Like, it's actually bonkers. They start out by immediately breaking the 4th wall and explaining to both themselves and the gamer that hey! This character doesn't even show up at this point in the game, but fuckin' go with it. We're all friends and having fun! And it's so weird and doesn't remotely prepare the gamer for the kind of game they're going to actually be playing. It's like if you showed someone the school-daze segment of the last episode of Evangelion out of context to someone trying to get them to watch that show.

Quote:
honestly I can't decide which one fits it better, they're both so good
Cried! The answer is Cried. It's always Cried! Cried is amazing. You can tell that it's how the game music would have sounded had Mitsuda had better hardware to work with.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:19 PM
so exciting!

for roughly 350 bucks, you can tell the world that you support the Anime Pope
Old 02-11-2019, 12:19 AM
I hunt Mondays.

Pronouns: He/Him/His

I felt a mix of disappointment and annoyance when I saw this thread bumped, entered it, and learned that said bump was not because a remake or remaster of Xenogears was announced. But I also felt a sense of relief that said bump also was not for some Japan-only gacha banking on fans' nostalgia for a 21 year-old PlayStation game, so it pretty much balances out.

It's just the physical swag kind of exploitation.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:41 AM
Out Of Warranty

What? No! This is Anime Pope:

That's Anime Popess.

EDIT: Wait, now that I think of it, *this* is Anime Popess.

So the woman in the portrait would be be Anime Anti-Popess. Yay, Xenogears!

Last edited by Positronic Brain; 02-11-2019 at 12:56 AM.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:33 PM
Discordia

Pronouns: she / her

The only way I'd be interested in a remake of Xenogears is if it had a Relief Charm-like item that'd let me play as Emeralda for the whole game.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:59 PM

I'd just settle for an increased res port with the wired PSOne texture waviness removed and also making jumping tenable in dungeons.

Tags
anime pope , chuchudiedforyoursins , gears and fighting , men of the sea , rpg , square , square enix , the real thing , xenogears , xenowhatever