The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 01-12-2019, 12:39 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

I watched The Haunting of Hill House. I think the last two episodes weren't quite as strong/creepy/intriguing as what came before it, but overall, wow, what a series. Perfect tone. It manages to maintain tension through almost all of it, and while it has jump scares and scary ghost monsters, it's used pretty tastefully. A lot of the creepy stuff is more low-key. Like, yeah, there are some brilliant scenes peppered throughout.

While I've definitely seen stuff that is more visceral, this one really got under my skin. My overactive imagination kicks in in the middle of the night, and then I start seeing bent-neck ladies....

I recommend it, I'm sure I'll watch this again in the future.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:23 PM
Too Big For Smash?!

The final season of A Series of Unfortunate Events was quite good! I was wondering how they would managed to adapt the finale of this series, but they did so well with the rest of it I needn't have been worried.

One unfounded concern I had going in was if they would try to soften Count Olaf so his last act, the one good thing he did in his life, could be framed as a redemption. Thankfully no, he still saves Kit and he still dies next to her, but the show doesn't try to pretend he's been redeemed or was good all along. Thankfully. It was one of those themes towards the end of the series, that no one is fully good or fully bad, and the show didn't shy away from it.

I'm kind of surprised the show didn't confirm one way or the other whether or not Esme and Carmelita survived the fire at the Hotel Denouement. The books don't either, but the 'Unauthorized Biography' of Lemony Snicket supposedly confirms Carmelita's alive, so it's a bit strange that even this show left the question of 'gee maybe this little girl burned to death in the fire' an open one when it could have said one way or the other.

Overall, this was a pretty good adaption. Way better than the Jim Carrey movie, though we knew that from Season 1.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:30 AM

Old 01-15-2019, 09:58 AM
100% All Original

I finally watched Dragon Prince, by which I mean I struggled to finish one episode just so I could say I gave it a shot. This show is eye-searingly ugly and I don't believe I'll be watching anymore.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:21 PM
till the sheriff stops by

Watching Baki. It's as fucking stupid and ridiculous as I remember. And I'm... enjoying it? I guess this is my trash TV "not recommending to any sane person but I'm having a good time" show for the year.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:30 PM
King Of Space-Time

Carmen is very good. If the Chief isn't based off of Lynne Thigpen, I'll eat a gumshoe.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:06 PM
Gynarchy in the USA

Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

New Grace and Frankie y'all!
Old 01-21-2019, 05:43 PM
This Guy

I liked the new Carmen Sandiego show, but the more it tried to explain its backstory, the less sense it made.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:15 PM

Someone pointed out to me that the show puts Carmen as the main character, which is very antithetical to every Carmen Sandiego property up to this point. She's always been mysterious and afar. You're supposed to be left wondering.

That's why I don't think I'm all that interested in it. It kind of answers everything, and it's not nearly as compelling.
Old 01-28-2019, 05:24 PM
till the sheriff stops by

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyBardOL View Post
The final season of A Series of Unfortunate Events was quite good! I was wondering how they would managed to adapt the finale of this series, but they did so well with the rest of it I needn't have been worried.

One unfounded concern I had going in was if they would try to soften Count Olaf so his last act, the one good thing he did in his life, could be framed as a redemption. Thankfully no, he still saves Kit and he still dies next to her, but the show doesn't try to pretend he's been redeemed or was good all along. Thankfully. It was one of those themes towards the end of the series, that no one is fully good or fully bad, and the show didn't shy away from it.

I'm kind of surprised the show didn't confirm one way or the other whether or not Esme and Carmelita survived the fire at the Hotel Denouement. The books don't either, but the 'Unauthorized Biography' of Lemony Snicket supposedly confirms Carmelita's alive, so it's a bit strange that even this show left the question of 'gee maybe this little girl burned to death in the fire' an open one when it could have said one way or the other.

Overall, this was a pretty good adaption. Way better than the Jim Carrey movie, though we knew that from Season 1.
I haven't read any of the books but the last season was really good and the finale was really strong. And I totally agree with you about how they handle Olaf in the last episode. Heck, the fact that it isn't a redemption ("I never apologized" is a good line) kind of makes his death and his one good acts even more poignant. He's the worst, basically, but the fact that he's capable of something good means he can't be completely dismissed. It's an interesting and complex idea and while I'm not the biggest of NPH fans, he does a great job with his last scene.

I also kind of like not revealing who, if anyone, died in the fire (save for the judge, obviously).

Am halfway through the Good Place season 2 with JBear. Man, I love that this show isn't afraid to just burn the status quo to the ground. Serialized sitcoms are certainly common now but the fact that the show just said goodbye to the main setting as it is erased from existence is a bit sad (even if it is the Bad Place) and very exciting. No where to go but forward!

EDIT: Apparently, I thought this was the TV review thread, but since the Good Place is also on Netflix, it all applies.

Last edited by Johnny Unusual; 01-29-2019 at 04:25 AM.
Old 02-03-2019, 04:38 PM
Mistress Greywolfe

Pronouns: He, Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
I liked the new Carmen Sandiego show, but the more it tried to explain its backstory, the less sense it made.
The premise reminds me a lot of Netflix's She-Ra. A orphaned girl is raised by an organization she spends her entire life preparing to join, but as she is close to joining circumstances diverts her away, she discovers they're actually evil and chooses to fight against them.

The problem with Carmen Sandiego is that this aspect isn't nearly as compelling. In She-Ra the Adora/Catra relationship did a lot to fuel drama, but Carmen doesn't really have anything like that. Her relationship with Coach Brunt is the closest thing and it's not as well developed, so that dynamic doesn't help the show as much.

It's also less gay than She-Ra, so there's that.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:46 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

To be fair ďLess gay than the She-Ra rebootĒ doesnít mean much.

Noelle kind of set that bar a trifle bit high.
Old 02-04-2019, 01:09 PM
Absolutely The Worst

I watched the first two episodes and I like it a lot but I love heists/sneaky thieves who do the Robin Hood thing.

That said, itís definitely a kids show which is why it is doing what it did rather than saving her origins for later in the season(s). Wasnít terribly fond of it but it wasnít a dealbreaker.

I really love the animation too.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:29 PM
Don't Stop Believin'

As someone with a lot of nostalgia for all things Carmen Sandiego, I wasn't sure about the early descriptions of the flipped premise, but after watching I appreciated it as a solid reimagining of the concept and elements from the 90's cartoon. Art style is nice, and they tried to throw in some token educational value, but it kind of fades away as the season winds down. Zenigata-style characters like Devineaux wear thin for me pretty easily, but there is some payoff for that later too.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:01 AM
Outraged!

Anyone else watch Russian Doll? Everyone should watch Russian Doll.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:57 AM
Senhor Member

YEah it was good imo
Old 02-09-2019, 08:18 AM
Too Big For Smash?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpfriction View Post
I did! It was great. I think I'm becoming a big fan of Natasha Lyonne, and I'd love to see her in more stuff where she can sass everyone.

I also like that it was fairly bite-sized, compared to other Netflix originals. No 10-13 hour long episodes here, just 8 30-min-ish pieces. It was a nice change of pace, and it also felt like it really didn't have any cruft.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:52 AM
Outraged!

Good, well done.

Put a decent spin on a time loop and Iíll be a fan so there was little chance of this disappointing me (I even liked the 45 silent minutes of Happy Death Day I watched on the lady in the seat next to meís ipad a couple months back), but Russian Doll was extremely good. Great characters all around, lots of fun twists. Just aces.

Lyonne said she pitched it as a three season thing. Not sure how that will work, but looking forward to more if they get to keep going.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:07 PM
Not even a *nice* duck!

Pronouns: He/Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Sampson View Post
High Flying Bird, the new Soderbergh on Netflix, is good as heck.

Like his last film, Unsane (which I liked, didnít love), he shot this on an iPhone. I think he does much better work with it here, and itís even thematically relevant.

It was written by Tarell Alvin McCraney, who co-wrote Moonlight, and itís v. tight. Itís vaguely about basketball, but donít let that put you off if youíre not interested in the sport. I couldnít give less of a shit and I still loved it so much
Old 02-10-2019, 07:03 AM
It's dog eat dog

Pronouns: he/him

Russian Doll hooked me the second I found out that its "I Got You Babe" equivalent is a Harry Nilsson song. So, instantly.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:57 AM
Mistress Greywolfe

Has anybody seen Seven Deadly Sins? Is it any good? I was interested in it but I'd rather hear people's thoughts on it first before starting it up.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:13 AM
Mystery Contraption

I made it two and a half episodes before deeming it sufficiently Bad Horny to overcome what I liked about it.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:20 PM
concentrate

Sex Education is super fun. Everybody is a great actor in this! And the writing is so good.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:27 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Quote:
Lyonne said she pitched it as a three season thing. Not sure how that will work, but looking forward to more if they get to keep going.
It seemed clear to me by the end that the time loops they went through didn't actually reset anything, but just dumped them in mirror universes, with them in separate universes by the end. I'm not sure what it meant when the loops started decaying, though. There's plenty to explore there, and the characters still have a lot of room to grow. Though what's there is also a satisfying self-contained story, so I'm fine either way.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juno View Post
Has anybody seen Seven Deadly Sins? Is it any good? I was interested in it but I'd rather hear people's thoughts on it first before starting it up.
If you can get past how often itís pervy and grody (MC frequently molests a female character for jokes; tons of T&A) what youíll find is a very serviceable yet very staid and formulaic shonen-thing, Dragonball Z knock-off with a King Arthur/medieval Britain theme. There are worse things to watch, but there are definitely a lot better more worth your time. The second season of this show also took a big nosedive in the quality of production for a number of reasons not worth going into.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:24 AM
We just don't know.

Quote:
I just finished binging through this and it was so fucking good.

I really have no idea how it's going to go into further seasons, and I almost wish it wouldn't. But if she pitched it as multiple seasons, she may have a pretty good idea of how to keep it moving forward. And after watching this, I am extremely convinced that she knows what the fuck she's doing, so sign me up for more, I guess.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:29 AM
We just don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
If you can get past how often itís pervy and grody (MC frequently molests a female character for jokes; tons of T&A)
Serious question: why the fuck would you want to bother trying to get past that

there's literally infinite content out there to consume. There is absolutely no reason to keep watching gross fucking bullshit like this.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:38 AM

Serious answer: people from all walks of life will all very often and very readily compromise on allowing/tolerating Unappealing Aspect X to latch itself onto Thing I Really Like. And different people have different thresholds for tolerance depending on lots of factors. Thatís for people to decide for themselves. Some people look at a show like 7DS and say gross and nope out. Others will be like - I will tolerate 10s of dumb boobie jiggles if I also get to watch 15mins of guys yelling and punching each other. Best we can do is lay all that stuff out in advance so people can make their own informed decisions about stuff rather than being suckered blindly into a Netflix algorithm recommendation.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:17 PM
Mystery Contraption

In case anyone else forgot it was out this week like I did, Umbrella Academy came out.

It meets my expectations!
Old 02-15-2019, 10:31 PM
Mistress Greywolfe

I enjoyed the first few episodes of The Dragon Prince season 2, but I will say that anybody who had problems with the art/animation in the first season won't find anything to change their mind here.

Tags
and chill , best anti-piracy solution , binge , movies , netflix