The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 03-13-2019, 02:02 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
ETA: I also have re-read the snack list thread more than once because that topic was still inspired.
I hadn't done this, but now I have, and it was a good time
Old 03-13-2019, 02:51 PM
Some Guy

Nice to see the Mantis Lords show up! That fight is just so pure!

Bowser's great, but I voted for a different Bowser fight. Killer music, though!

I really need to play Shadow of the Colossus.

Ridley just barely missed my list. I wanted to find room for him, but just couldn't do it, and figured he didn't need my help.

I couldn't bring myself to play the Undertale spoiler, but I appreciate its existence!
Old 03-13-2019, 03:09 PM
Penalty for being bard

Pronouns: He/Him
Default Interlude

Interlude
Castle Dragon and the Cavity Kids - Twinbee 3: Evil King Poko Poko

This is the Twinbee III boss Dracula meant to vote for, and I'm giving it a shout-out here because it's cute as shit.

The Castle Dragon is the guardian of a medieval kingdom and is normally very friendly, but he's been in a bad mood lately! Twinbee and friends discover that the reason is that the Dragon's teeth are under attack by the Cavity Kids! Look how sad he is! D'awwww.

You can help the Dragon feel better by defeating the Cavity Kids, thus allowing the Dragon's teeth to recover, after which he'll be much happier.

Cute bosses are okay too sometimes.

Last edited by Solitayre; 03-13-2019 at 05:57 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:23 PM
Penalty for being bard

Default Bonus Art

Bonus Art!

Undertale

Art by Eliminate98

Phantom Train
Old 03-13-2019, 05:26 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Pronouns: He/him

Art is over. It's done. There's no point to any more of it.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:22 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

Art is Dead - Sabin Suplexed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
Torzelbaum voted for the Ghost Train. Quelle surprise. It'd be like if I voted for my house.
I feel like I'm being attacked here. Also, are you saying your house is like a video game boss fight?

(I had GhostTrain at #18.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitayre View Post
Man... Twinbee 3 totally ripped off Tooth Protectors and/or Plaque Attack for the Atari 2600.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Hot dang! I go on vacation for a few days and already we're at #35?! Impressive pace, Sol!
We have been rushing through all of these bosses. I think we're on World Record pace!

Last edited by Torzelbaum; 03-13-2019 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:23 PM
till the sheriff stops by

I did not think of Ghost Train but I wish I did. The whole section of the game is great and, sure, you could insta-kill a train... but then you wouldn't be able to suplex it!
Old 03-13-2019, 09:00 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

Well, you could suplex it first and then insta-kill it.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:33 AM
Penalty for being bard

Default #34

Knight Artorias - Dark Souls

'Such a hero has nary a murmur of Dark. Without doubt he will be swallowed by the Abyss...'

69 Points

Fallen Heroes: Adrenaline, Patrick

Knight Artorias, also known as Artorias the Abysswalker or Artorias of the Abyss, is the central character in the Dark Souls DLC, called Artorias of the Abyss. The world of Dark Souls casts the player as an undead warrior who challenges some of the most famously nasty bosses in all of videogamedom, and Artorias is one of the roughest of them all.

In the vanilla Dark Souls, Artorias was never seen but occasionally referenced in bits of lore, often related to weapons the player found. The Artorias of the Abyss DLC expands greatly on the character, revealing him to have once been a great and pure-hearted hero, one of the greatest warriors in service to Lord Gwyn, and to being friends with a very good dog who he also taught to use a sword. But Artorias' noble heart made him a favorite target of the forces of the Abyss, and over time the knight's acts of heroism saw him injured, weakened, and sacrificing himself for others a little to often, and little by little, the power of darkness took root. By the time the player meets Artorias, he is a nearly entirely corrupted shell of his former self and little of the hero remains, and slaying him is more a mercy than anything else.

Artorias is considered a pretty rough fight even by Dark Souls standards, due to his enormous reach, unpredictable attacks, and his Wrath of the Abyss attack, which raises his attack power so high that he can kill some players instantly.

Artorias' companion, the Great Wolf Sif, is also a famous Dark Souls encounter, who wields Artorias' sword. The lore of the DLC reveals that Artorias actually lost his life protecting Sif from the darkness.

Last edited by Solitayre; 03-14-2019 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:43 AM
Born in the USA

Pronouns: he/him

Think how tough that fight would have been if he had the use of both of his arms!
Old 03-14-2019, 11:50 AM
Penalty for being bard

Default #33

Gilgamesh - Final Fantasy V

'Ha Ha! Guess who's been waiting behind this door the whole time? Yes, it's me!'

70 Points

Had to be somewhere: Dracula, Patrick, Solitayre

Gilgamesh is a recurring villain and boss from Final Fantasy V. While the first third of the game revolves around the mystery and tragedy of the heroes' world losing its crystals, robbing it of essential natural forces needed for life, the game's plot changes gears drastically with the introduction of Exdeath, who serves as the comically over-the-top, Skeletor-esque archvillain of the game, complete with his bumbling henchman, Gilgamesh.

The player faces Gilgamesh several times throughout the game, and in each encounter, Gilgamesh, much like the player, can vary his strategy considerably, combining multiple abilities from various classes, much as the player can. In one of his more memorable appearances, Gilgamesh feigns defeat while casting multiple buff spells on himself, then attacking with renewed vigor with the devastating jump attack. After this fails, he attempts to best the party with the power of friendship by fighting alongside an ally, Enkidu. Despite his various attempts, Gilgamesh is never able to best the heroes, and is humiliated time and again.

Towards the end of the game, Gilgamesh is frustrated with his repeated failures and simply decides to combine the abilities of all the game's classes at once, transforming himself into an intimidating, multi-armed warrior bedecked with a variety of fearful weaponry. Unfortunately for him, he is undone once again by putting his faith in the legendary Excalibur. Unbeknownst to him, he has acquired a knock-off, the Excalipoor, an exceptionally weak sword. At this point, Exdeath grows tired of Gilgamesh's bumbling and banishes him to the Void.

Despite serving as a comic relief character for most of the game, Gilgamesh does get a chance to redeem himself in the game's final dungeon, within the Void, where Gilgamesh has had a chance to rethink his life, and decides to aid the players in one of their final battles. Ever since, Gilgamesh has been wandering the dimensions, making him one of the few named Final Fantasy characters to canonically appear in multiple games.

Perhaps more well-known than Gilgamesh himself is his personal battle theme, Battle on the Big Bridge which has been covered and remixed more times than Landslide.

Gilgamesh and his friend Enkidu are named after the lead characters of the ancient Mesopotamian poem The Epic of Gilgamesh, one of the earliest known works of literature. The poem recounts the adventures of Gilgamesh, the King of Uruk, who was one-third man and two-thirds divine, and the wild man Enkidu, who became Gilgamesh's closest friend.

Old 03-14-2019, 02:10 PM
Penalty for being bard

Default #32

Seven Force/Gunstar Green - Gunstar Heroes

78 Points

More is better: Dracula, ozacrot, Patrick, WildcatJF

The Seven Force is a boss in Gunstar Heroes, a Sega MegaDrive game and Treasure's debut title. It is a run and gun game notable for its co-op play and for several graphical innovations that were pretty novel at the time, including giving enemy limbs independent movement from the rest of a sprite. These innovations would come into play during the particular battle particularly.

Gunstar Heroes had a bit of an 'anything goes' development cycle, with more emphasis being put on cool bosses and set-pieces than overall plot, and The Seven Force is arguably the apotheosis of this design goal; an intense series of rapid fire bosses all in a row. Gunstar Red and Blue, the player characters, confront Gunstar Green, a traitor to their team who looks suspiciously like Vegeta. To battle against his former comrades, Green has been endowed with the power of Seven Robotic Forms; Soldier, Tails, Tiger, Eagle, Blaster, Urchin, and Crab. Apparently unable to pick which one to use, he decides, why not all of them?

What follows is an intense chase and battle as you face each of the Seven Force in turn, each with its own abilities, attacks, and patterns to learn and dodge. Each shift in form changes the direction the screen is moving and can alter the orientation of the fight from horizontal to vertical, or which direction you are being attacked from, making for a particularly intense and kinetic battle against a large number of dangerous and pretty dang cool-looking foes. I recommend looking this one up if you've never seen it before.

Old 03-14-2019, 03:19 PM
You must whip it

I don't think I've ever beaten Artorias without his Greatshield. Someday maybe.

Gilgamesh is another one that I, personally would not have voted for even if I'd thought of him. Glad he placed though.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:52 PM
Penalty for being bard

Default #31

Beatrix - Final Fantasy IX

'Allow me to shatter your delusions of grandeur.'

78 Points

Knocked to one HP: Ixo, Peklo, Solitayre

General Beatrix of Alexandria is a major supporting character and recurring villain throughout the second act of Final Fantasy IX. As Queen Brahne sets out on her mission to conquer all of the Mist Continent , Beatrix, the general of the all-female Alexandrian Army is at the forefront of the assault, which brings her into conflict with Zidane Tribal and friends several times.

Final Fantasy IX was all about throwbacks to earlier in the series' history, and Beatrix is a reflection of several character tropes from earlier games, resembling both General Leo from Final Fantasy VI as a principled but tragically-loyal soldier, and Cecil, a disgraced knight who must seek redemption for their past actions, and notably her move set resembles both of these characters (with Cloud's Climhazzard thrown in, because why not.) She is polite and cordial if a bit aloof to those she speaks to, but sneers at those who get under her skin, and beneath her composed exterior she is surprisingly much more vulnerable and less sure of herself than she seems, lending itself to her being surprisingly competitive with fellow Alexandrian Knight Adelbert Steiner.

Beatrix is above all an extremely competent and unfailing enemy, challenging the party on three separate occasions, and soundly thrashing them each time with her superior sword techniques, magic, and strength. This makes Beatrix stand apart from most Final Fantasy villains as an opponent who the player never manages to actually defeat. No matter what atrocity Beatrix has just committed, no matter who the party is trying to protect, no matter how motivated the characters or the player is to finally bring her down, Beatrix's own strength and determination are always a match for them. It is instead by appealing to her honor, her loyalty, and her integrity that Beatrix stops being a threat.

Unlike General Leo, whose inability to disobey his Emperor led to his death, Beatrix eventually does challenge and defy her queen when it becomes clear the queen means to kill Princess Garnet, temporarily joining the party. You know how most of the time when a former villain joins your team and is suddenly much weaker? That doesn't happen here. She's actually stronger, and you find out she was holding back her strongest spells while fighting you. She's that badass.

But she is also unlike her predecessor Cecil, who had to embark on a game-long atonement quest for what he had done in the service of his King, while everyone just kind of forgives Beatrix for the literal genocide she was directly responsible for.

Old 03-14-2019, 05:38 PM
Love is OGR

Pronouns: They/Them, She/Her

Hell yeah. Beatrix is so important. There are no unremarkable "disc enders" in the PlayStation Final Fantasies' setpieces, and Beatrix effortlessly leaving the heroes for dead in Burmecia's rain at the end of disc 1 still manages to stand out among them.

art by クレア(旧H・U)
Old 03-14-2019, 06:01 PM
You must whip it

I like how, unlike most fights you aren't supposed to win, Beatrix isn't one where you can just let her beat you. It's tough to survive long enough to let her kick your ass.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:09 PM
Penalty for being bard

This hair flip is everything.

Old 03-14-2019, 06:16 PM
Holy Swine

I voted for Beatrix. Her music is great; not just sword of doubt, but roses of may and protecting my devotion are both top-tier on a great soundtrack.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:22 PM
Penalty for being bard

Uh, she's not on the list you sent me.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:43 PM
Rise

Pronouns: he / his

Seven Force! My first pick on the list so far!

I haven't faced Seven Force in its full glory, for I am not spectacular at Gunstar Heroes. But I have seen the full scale assault on Youtube and it's a delight just to watch Treasure's creativity and tech know-how go to town in that fight.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:55 PM
Holy Swine

Quote:
Uh, she's not on the list you sent me.
Ha, you're right. Must have forgotten her somehow.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:27 PM
Will get there eventually

Watching Steiner fret over asking Beatrix out was entertaining and the love letter shenanigans even more so.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:57 PM
Penalty for being bard

Default #30

Pokémon Trainer Red - Pokémon Gold/Silver

'................ ................'

83 Points

Gotta Catch'em All: FelixSH, Ixo, Mogri

Pokémon Trainer Red is the protagonist and player character of the first generation of Pokémon games (Red/Blue/Yellow). He is the reigning Pokémon champion of the Kanto region, having canonically defeated the Elite Four and his Rival, Blue, at Indigo Plateau, as well as defeating the Pokémon-themed crime syndicate known as Team Rocket. He has also been known as 'Ash' in the past, but Pokémon canon now refers to this character exclusively as 'Red,' while 'Ash' is now used to refer to Ash Ketchem, the protagonist of the Pokémon anime. Unlike the hot-headed and immature Ash, Red is a quiet young man who seems to take training Pokémon very seriously.

Red can be met and challenged at the end of Pokémon Gold/Silver, the second generation of Pokémon, as a bonus boss, where he provides one final and intimidating challenge to the player. His Pokémon are the four starter Pokémon of Gen 1 (Venusaur, Blastoise, Charizard, and Pikachu), a Snorlax, and an Espeon, which are all Pokémon related to the game's story or given to Red during the game. Remakes of the game replace Red's Espeon with a Lapras, likely because Espeon is not a Generation 1 Pokémon (although Eevee is.) His Pikachu remains unevolved, likely as a reference to the anime.

Red's Pokémon team are the highest level of any trainer in the series, suggesting that Red has indeed become 'the very best' and is the greatest Pokémon Trainer in the Pokémon universe. But it's nice to see that he's still traveling around looking for new challenges, and can still be beaten once in a while.

Red has made appearances in other Pokémon titles, and is also playable in the Super Smash Bros series as the male Pokémon Trainer.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:14 PM
Penalty for being bard

Default Interlude

Interlude
Legion/Granfalloon - Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Legion, also called Granfalloon, is a recurring boss monster in the Castlevania series of games that probably would have made the list, but the voters couldn't decide if they liked the Symphony of the Night version of the boss, or the Aria of Sorrow version better. Legion is a horrifying being composed of the bodies of many humans collected together, surrounding a central, monstrous core which shoots lasers. It tends to be encountered in the lowest levels of Castlevania, where Dracula's most horrid servants lurk.

Castlevania is filled to the top with classic horror movie monsters, like Dracula, the Mummy, the Wolfman, Frankenstein's Monster, all of which have been so thoroughly absorbed into popular culture that it's difficult to eke genuine horror out of them anymore, but Legion is something else entirely, and damn if it isn't genuinely creepy. Attacking them causes human bodies to rain from the central mass with horrible screams whereupon the fallen forms then animate and attack you. And the whole creature arises out of a giant pit of skulls.

The name Legion comes from a demon mentioned in the New Testament, based largely on the line 'My name is Legion, for we are many.' The term 'Granfalloon' was invented by Kurt Vonnegut for a fictional religion, to describe a group with "shared identity or purpose, but whose mutual association is meaningless." The term was intentionally meant to evoke a 'balloon' in that it was comprised mostly of empty air.

Last edited by Solitayre; 03-15-2019 at 08:15 AM.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:37 PM
Penalty for being bard

Default Bonus Art

Bonus Art!

Seven Force

Art by EdgeKagami

Beatrix as drawn by Yoshitaka Amano

Pokémon Trainer Red
Old 03-15-2019, 06:25 AM

The end of the first CD of FFIX is something special to me too, including the battle with Beatrix. I forgot to vote for it, though, even if Beatrix was the first time i encountered an unwinnable boss fight.

Quote:
The name Legion comes from the New Testament, based largely on the line 'My name is Legion, for we are many.' The term 'Granfalloon' was invented by Kurt Vonnegut for a fictional religion, to describe a group with "shared identity or purpose, but whose mutual association is meaningless." The term was intentionally meant to evoke a 'balloon' in that it was comprised mostly of empty air.
Ah, that's interesting!
Old 03-15-2019, 07:00 AM

Pronouns: 'He' & co

Quote:
Legion, also called Granfalloon, is a recurring boss monster in the Castlevania series of games that probably would have made the list, but the voters couldn't decide if they liked the Symphony of the Night version of the boss, or the Aria of Sorrow version better. Legion is a horrifying being composed of the bodies of many humans collected together, surrounding a central, monstrous core which shoots lasers. It tends to be encountered in the lowest levels of Castlevania, where Dracula's most horrid servants lurk.
Aw man, I have to be partial to the AoS version here as well, although I cannot be partial, it was the first Castlevania I played to completion (yes, I know, I get to things late in general) and not only the fight is great but it has a fantastic buildup:
you get to the cemetery area and for some reason the background music stops, there's only moaning and groaning; also while you explore the rooms an kill monsters, as you do, there are these white, featureless "people", walking out of the niches all in the same direction. You cannot interact with them in any way, only follow them, until you get to the boss room and then see what they're congregating into. Yikes. Also, this time it's not just a big ball, but it has a (baby-like) face and little arms in fetal position, both made of human bodies!

Definitely one of the creepiest, most unsettling bosses of the whole franchise.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:03 AM
Holy Swine

Quote:
Pokémon Trainer Red is the protagonist and player character of the first generation of Pokémon games (Red/Blue/Yellow). He is the reigning Pokémon champion of the Kanto region, having canonically defeated the Elite Four and his Rival, Blue, at Indigo Plateau, as well as defeating the Pokémon-themed crime syndicate known as Team Rocket. He has also been known as 'Ash' in the past, but Pokémon canon now refers to this character exclusively as 'Red,' while 'Ash' is now used to refer to Ash Ketchem, the protagonist of the Pokémon anime. Unlike the hot-headed and immature Ash, Red is a quiet young man who seems to take training Pokémon very seriously.
Huh -- I always thought the guy in the first game was the guy from the anime.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:43 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

So did everyone else!
Old 03-15-2019, 09:25 AM
Child of the Sun and Sky

Technically I think Red and Ash are maybe the same person. But at some point I read the manga (I think Pokemon Adventures?). In there, it's technically the same boy who wants to become thr Best there ever was. Bu, unlike Ash, he is a natural genius who comes up with clever ideas in the middle of a Pokemon battle. He feels like acompletely different person to Ash, partly because he actually is competent. And the guy you battle in Gold/Silver with his superstrong team feels way more like the competent guy in the manga than Ash.

From my part it's mainly headcanon, is what I'm saying.

Tags
boss rush , bosses , bruce springsteen , hey boss , i dropped your list boss , like a boss , tony danza , top 50 countdown , who's the boss?