The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about sports

Old 07-01-2018, 10:50 PM

LeBron is taking his talents to Venice Beach.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:13 PM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

Golden State gets more ridiculous with each passing year. If they were not my adopted team* until the Sonics return, I would probably be on the hate train.

But they are, and I'm not.

*I tried to adopt the Blazers, then the Celtics, but it never took. I loved watching Curry play for Davidson in the tourney, and when the noise about him really picked up in 2015, I glommed on to GS and never looked back.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:57 PM
This Guy

The most infuriating thing about Boogie to the Warriors is that no one offered him more.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:07 PM

It's not that nobody offered him more, but nobody offered him sufficiently more. And I don't really blame anyone for a number of reasons.

1) I think there was maybe like a handful of teams in the league this off-season that even had any amount of cap space to sign free agents, and none of them good teams that would be close to contention if Cousins or anyone else signed with them.

2) He's coming off of an injury that is often career ending and he's a big, big fella so who wants to throw down max money on a gamble like that?

3) Reportedly other teams did offer more, but not sufficiently more to make up for the fact that on GS he can probably win a championship.

And that last one is a big kicker, because after watching Cousins closely for the first 6 or so years of his career, the only thing he cares about are loyalty and winning (which is where a lot of his bad attitude comes from, when he's often losing). Money is a distant distant third. So it makes total sense for him to rehab on the Warriors for a year, prove he can play/be a winner/good teammate, win a championship, and then go somewhere else next year for a big contract when a lot more teams will have cap space.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:38 PM

It's the end of an era in San Antonio. Not because of Kawhi leaving, although that mess left a really bad taste in my mouth. (Seriously, Kawhi, if you wanted out, please handle it with more class than this!)

No, it's because none of the "Big 3" are left on the team. Parker departed earlier this year (and I was okay with that), and now Manu Ginobili has retired. Manu was the man, one of the most inventive and interesting players I had the privilege to watch. That Euro-step, the herky-jerky drives, the nutmegs... dude belongs in the Hall of Fame, without question. I'm gonna miss him.

I don't know what's in store next year for the Spurs. Can they maintain? They basically hit 47 wins without Kawhi last year, but a lot of teams got better. How will DeRozan fit? Will Rudy Gay be completely healthy? What's the solution now at point guard? Lots of stuff in the air, and a lot was directly caused by Kawhi's departure. Still, getting back DeRozan, given how much Leonard tanked his value in the trade market, has to be seen as a win.

Next year should be fun... as long as I don't have to watch the Warriors hoist another trophy. I mean, seriously, I can't stand those guys anymore.
Old 08-30-2018, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
It's the end of an era in San Antonio. Not because of Kawhi leaving...
It kinda is though. I dunno if both Parker and Manu split if Kawhi sticks around. But when he left they were probably like welp, no sense in us staying either. Kinda like when Ray Allen gave up on the Celtics, it gave everyone else permission to move on too.

I don't have a lot of hope for the Spurs being serious contenders, but I'm sure you'll witness more wins and better basketball than my Kings. LeBron moving West, to the Lakers no less, is such a huge kick in the balls. The Western Conference is an effing slaughterhouse.
Old 08-31-2018, 09:51 AM

I actually think Parker was going to move on anyway. His playing time was going to be greatly diminished behind Dejounte Murray and I assume Derrick White as well. He's said he wants to play for three more years, and he wasn't going to be able to do much in San Antonio. He's earned it at this point, so that's fine.

As for Ginobili, reading his letter seemed to indicate to me that he's treated this season as the last one. I do think Kawhi staying might have exerted some extra pull in giving it one more year, but he's 41. That's actually mind-boggling to think about; I was sure he wouldn't last until like 34 or so, with his reckless style of play.

But yes, you're also right in that Kawhi leaving also signaled the end, because there's no bridge now to the future. Losing an MVP candidate stings. Losing him the way we did stings even more.

Sorry you have to root for the Kings. I miss those days when Webber and crew were tearing it up. They were robbed against the Lakers that year in the WCF. (I hate the Lakers, too, because of the 0.4 shot that should have never counted, among other reasons.)
Old 08-31-2018, 11:24 AM
This Guy

Thing is, I could see the Spurs being better this year than last year. Parker, Ginobli and Kawhi didn't contribute all that much, and the Spurs added DeRozan. The West is going to be even tougher this year, but I there are other teams I think are at least as likely as the Spurs to be a casualty (Minnesota, Denver, Portland, New Orleans).

I'm not a Spurs fan, but I am going to miss Manu. He was fun to watch.

Last edited by Rascally Badger; 08-31-2018 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-31-2018, 02:12 PM
Overwhelmed by Absurdity

I think the commissioner should just throw the rules to the wind and unilaterally declare that since the east and west have such a competitive imbalance that only the teams with the best records will make the playoffs, conference affiliation be damned.
Old 08-31-2018, 04:00 PM

I think a lot of people would like to see that. The problem with that becomes schedule balancing however. If you're gonna pull from just one big pool, you have to make it so everyone has the same chances of making the playoffs. And as it stands right now, it still wouldn't be fair to people in the West because they have to play more teams from the West. A mediocre team like the Nuggets could probably make the playoffs easily if they played a majority of their games against Eastern Conference opponents.

I think the easiest fix would be expansion and realignment. Add two more teams so you're at an even 32 NBA teams. Add them both to the Western Conference (one in Seattle, the other in Las Vegas or Vancouver or Boise or IDGAF) and move a team like Minny or NOLA or Memphis to the Eastern Conference.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:33 PM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

The Storm are headed to their third WNBA Finals! Really hoping Bird gets another ring before riding off into the sunset.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:02 AM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

I'm proud of the Storm winning their 3rd championship. I'm even prouder that they've joined the Lynx and Warriors in the lack of interest in a White House visit.

Tags
basketball , nba , ncaa , shut up and jam , wnba