The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 10-05-2017, 03:45 PM
Video Monster

Default How To Nominate Your Top 25 Toys and Toylines: The Thread: The Movie

PM Dracula a list of your top 25 (or fewer) favorite toys and toylines. Here's how to compile it: Each entry must represent a distinct concept. So if you nominate a single item, it must be representative of the whole (e.g., Yak Bak, Talkboy, or Sticky Hands). Otherwise, include the entire range the item represents (e.g., Biker Mice From Mars, CYBOARS, or Extreme Dinosaurs) followed by your favorite individual item from the range (e.g. Vinnie, Hog Kong, or Evil HAXX). The list will use the toyline as the entry, then we will create a sublist of each favorite item submitted for it.

So using the above examples, your list might look like this:
  1. CYBOARS (Hog Kong)
  2. Yak Bak
  3. Talkboy
  4. Biker Mice From Mars (Vinnie)
  5. Sticky Hands
  6. Extreme Dinosaurs (Evil HAXX)

Also, you may choose to nominate a subset of a wider range (e.g., Extreme Ghostbusters, G.I. Joe Extreme, or Ultimate MUSCLE). Depending on the number of votes for subsets like this, they may be folded into the wider range. If you're not sure, PM Dracula about it.

Next, here's what not to vote for.

1. NO VIDEO GAMES. I mean it. Yes, video games are toys. But P.O.S.E.S. malfunctions when it's fed video game data. It's dangerous. We can't risk it. If you're not sure if an item on your list is a video game, ask yourself if it can be played with on its own merits without the use of a screen or controller. If not, it's probably a video game. Any lists with video games will be sent back.

Toys or toylines of characters from video games are acceptable.

2. NO BOARD GAMES. According to my briefing, we just did this list. So let's try to keep from re-treading ground. EXCEPTION: You can submit board games that are toyetic, or have majorly toyetic features. Examples: Mouse Trap, Fireball Island, Mr. Bucket, Electronic Dream Phone. You can play with these games outside the context of their rules, so they count. If you're not sure, PM Dracula and he'll make a call.

Very well, that should complete the rules. Send us your list no later than midnight, October 20, 2017.

Now, I shall yield the floor to my lab assistant, Zoom, for some advice on putting together your list.

Hi! I'm Zoom. I know a lot about where toys come from!

If you guys are getting to that nice comfortable place where you don't really remember the specific toys you played with, but you can recall a cool texture, or maybe a weird action feature, or maybe you inherited all your toys from the kid down the street and never even knew what line they come from. We'd like to help.

Below, we've supplied some links to websites with names and photos that might help you rediscover your lost memories. And if all else fails, feel free to PM Dracula. He might know!

Specific Lines

Transformers
tfu.info
TFwiki

G.I. Joe
YoJoe

Masters of the Universe/Princess of Power
He-man.org

Star Wars
rebelscum

LEGO
brickset

Others
Plaid Stallions
Super Toy Archive
Virtual Toy Chest
Action Figure Archive
Fashion Doll Guide
Microforever

Old 10-05-2017, 04:02 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Holy shit, this hasn't even started yet and it's already the best. And the list submission deadline is my birthday! This is already the best present!

ETA:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Very well, that should complete the rules.
Yes indeed, I'm sure the good people at Talking Time will need no further clarification and have zero follow-up questions.

*cough*
Old 10-05-2017, 04:20 PM
Drawerings

Sorry JBear, your crown of Bestest List Ever appears to be in serious danger.
Old 10-05-2017, 04:37 PM
Not a Beer

This is in fact amazing. But uh, as for that *cough*....

So I'm gonna use Transformers as an example here because it was at the top of the link list and I've been looking some up lately.

I'm getting that we shouldn't be nominating individual Transformers. We should instead just nominate "Transformers" and then pick a favorite example (like tracks from the OST list). So far so good.

But we can also nominate sub-lines. So presumably, say, Transformers G1, as opposed to the later stuff. But maybe more specific? Headmasters in general? Monsterbots? Could we go all the way down to, say, Constructicons, even though that could arguably be a single toy in six parts??

I assume the general answer is going to be go with our guts and if there's a problem you'll let us know in PM, but I kinda wanted to dig into this example a bit, since if one were to, say, nominate multiple too-specific Transformers sub-lines and then they would maybe end up being folded into a bigger sub-set, but then you ended up with multiple votes from the same list going into one entry, that could be A Problem (he said, having run into the same thing with the comics list). So.... what say you?
Old 10-05-2017, 05:40 PM
till the sheriff stops by

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
Holy shit, this hasn't even started yet and it's already the best. And the list submission deadline is my birthday! This is already the best present!
Yep, I, uh, can confirm that it is his birthday. And that it is a birthday that I always remember the date of. Always.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:06 PM
Christmas Action Returns

Hm this is gonna take some thinking
Old 10-05-2017, 07:57 PM
Drawerings

Is Richard Pryor a valid nomination?
Old 10-05-2017, 08:33 PM
Find Your Reason

Man, this is gonna be utterly dominated by Transformers and GI Joe, isn't it?

I'm not denigrating either brand or arguing against them, mind, it's just that there's hundreds of toy manufacturers, dozens of toy brands within each manufacturer, toy lines within those brands, and, well, specific toys for each line, so it's only natural that the better known ones will bubble up to the top from the number of mentions, while a bunch of people's lists will have a lot of obscure nominations towards the top.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:57 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Can our lists include educational toys?
Old 10-06-2017, 07:37 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
Yep, I, uh, can confirm that it is his birthday. And that it is a birthday that I always remember the date of. Always.
Man, I don't even know what month your birthday is in. And I never will. I don't even know what month my own father's birthday is in, and the only reason that I know my mother's is that it is also mine. I wouldn't worry about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
Man, this is gonna be utterly dominated by Transformers and GI Joe, isn't it?
I mean, my understanding is that they would constitute exactly 2 entries on a list of 50?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torzelbaum View Post
I think you just answered your own question.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:47 AM
fan of wet circles

Quote:
Holy shit, this hasn't even started yet and it's already the best. And the list submission deadline is the day before my birthday! This is already the best present!

ETA:

Yes indeed, I'm sure the good people at Talking Time will need no further clarification and have zero follow-up questions.

*cough*
Speaking of... Drac, what's the policy towards model kits/toys/figures you assemble yourself?
Old 10-06-2017, 08:20 AM
Video Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
This is in fact amazing. But uh, as for that *cough*....

So I'm gonna use Transformers as an example here because it was at the top of the link list and I've been looking some up lately.

I'm getting that we shouldn't be nominating individual Transformers. We should instead just nominate "Transformers" and then pick a favorite example (like tracks from the OST list). So far so good.

But we can also nominate sub-lines. So presumably, say, Transformers G1, as opposed to the later stuff. But maybe more specific? Headmasters in general? Monsterbots? Could we go all the way down to, say, Constructicons, even though that could arguably be a single toy in six parts??

I assume the general answer is going to be go with our guts and if there's a problem you'll let us know in PM, but I kinda wanted to dig into this example a bit, since if one were to, say, nominate multiple too-specific Transformers sub-lines and then they would maybe end up being folded into a bigger sub-set, but then you ended up with multiple votes from the same list going into one entry, that could be A Problem (he said, having run into the same thing with the comics list). So.... what say you?
"Go with your gut" is the correct answer.

Continuing with Transformers as an example, stuff like Monsterbots, Constructicons, etc., do not constitute an entire toyline. But you could vote for Beast Wars, Animated, Super God Masterforce, etc.

You could probably use TFwiki's "toylines" category to get a general idea of what's wide enough to count as an entry. What they have listed as "subcategories" are probably too narrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torzelbaum View Post
Absolutely.

Quote:
I mean, my understanding is that they would constitute exactly 2 entries on a list of 50?
What Zef is worried about is that we'll have a whole lot of individual iterations of TF and Joe, like what Kirin is talking about. It's possible! It kind of depends on how many Joe or TF superfans we have on this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate or Die! View Post
Speaking of... Drac, what's the policy towards model kits/toys/figures you assemble yourself?
Eligible.

Star Wars model kits were important parts of my childhood toy lineup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
Is Richard Pryor a valid nomination?
Please let him out of your basement, Issun. This is starting to get very concerning.
Old 10-06-2017, 05:37 PM
an eeling of Christmas

Does the collectable America Online set of frisbees count?
Old 10-06-2017, 05:41 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Default that's friendship!

Quote:
Man, I don't even know what month your birthday is in. And I never will. I don't even know what month my own father's birthday is in, and the only reason that I know my mother's is that it is also mine. I wouldn't worry about it.
Jbear my birthday is April 17. I expect wonderful things from you next spring and every spring thereafter.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:59 PM
For blood and gold

Oh man, I totally had the Castle Grayskull playset growing up! It was one of the few non-educational toys my parents got me.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:24 AM
-ryn

in all the other lists so far, I've made an effort to not list things that are all related at the top (ie not voting for every book in the Song of Ice and Fire or every Final Fantasy game etc).

My interests in toys as a kid was pretty narrow. If I was being honest about the toys I wanted most as a kid, I'd be listing a lot of very similar things on this one. Really tough list to write for me this time...
Old 10-09-2017, 12:51 PM
Video Monster

That's totally fine, and remember you can have fewer than 25 items on your list if necessary.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:10 PM
Not a Beer

I clicked on a few more of Drac's miscellaneous toy site links, and oh my god, the 1990s web design is glorious (if... not the most usable).

Also I have several categories that are completely impossible to narrow down to one example so I'm just writing a lot of stuff like with the OST tracks and Drac you can feel free to ignore all but the first.
Old 10-09-2017, 03:31 PM
Not a Beer

Christ on a cracker, I've started in on this for real and oh my god, so much research.

Handy for weeaboos: CollectionDX's toy lines page

Also I have this old Jigen Daisuke figure with cloth clothing, more like a doll, and damn if I can find where the heck it's from in a search. Oy.
Old 10-09-2017, 03:47 PM
Video Monster

Collection DX is a fabulous resource.

Others you might try:
Toybox DX
counter-x.net
Fun-to-toy
Old 10-09-2017, 04:01 PM
Ruffian

For '80s and '90s toys aimed more at girls, check out Ghost of the Doll.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:35 PM
Bertolli?!?...

I knew I was going to enjoy this list, but I had no idea how much I'd enjoy making it. So many pleasant nostalgia hits, and I'm finding out the names of so many toys that I remember playing with but never had context for!

Now the problem is trimming down 48 entries to 25. I'm... probably not going to enjoy this part as much. >_<
Old 10-10-2017, 07:31 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
I knew I was going to enjoy this list, but I had no idea how much I'd enjoy making it. So many pleasant nostalgia hits, and I'm finding out the names of so many toys that I remember playing with but never had context for!

Now the problem is trimming down 48 entries to 25. I'm... probably not going to enjoy this part as much. >_<
It's always hard to choose which toys to play with.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:10 AM
Not a Beer

Uhhhh, we probably shouldn't nominate that kind of toy...
Old 10-11-2017, 12:14 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Uhhhh, we probably shouldn't nominate that kind of toy...
*JBear recompiles his list*
Old 10-11-2017, 12:42 PM
Video Monster

Quote:
I clicked on a few more of Drac's miscellaneous toy site links, and oh my god, the 1990s web design is glorious (if... not the most usable).
Yeah it's pretty hilarious that some of those are still the best resources of their kind, despite not having updated their user interfaces since probably the birth of the Internet.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:15 PM
Drawerings

I've been putting this off because I honestly don't know how I'm going to do this one.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:56 PM
Christmas Action Returns

Quote:
I've been putting this off because I honestly don't know how I'm going to do this one.
lol I as just commenting I need to do this this weekend and was about to say "but how?" and then read your post, Issun.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:39 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatJF View Post
lol I as just commenting I need to do this this weekend and was about to say "but how?" and then read your post, Issun.
Of the several links that Dracula provided, I found the Virtual Toy Chest to be by far the most useful. Scroll mid-way down the page for an exhaustive alphabetical toy listing. After a couple of days of brainstorming, I was up to like 15-20 things, but by the time I poured over that site I was at 50. I also called my mother to ask her what she remembered as being my favourite toys, because why not?
Old 10-11-2017, 08:39 PM
King Of Space-Time

My main criteria was;
  • Did I have one?
  • Did it immediately come to mind?

My list was a bit small as a result, but I'm confident in my choices.

Tags
everyone knows its slinky , i have the power , little green [army] men , nostalgia , the power is yours , toy story , trekker's gonna lead