The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 07-14-2018, 06:25 PM
Balam, It's Showtime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOJ View Post
Man, I'm not sure I remember a thing about KH2. Is that where they go through the clock tower with Roxas, the big heartless, etc.? I remember loving the game when I was ~14 the year it came out, but I think my tastes have shifted dramatically since then. Very fond memories of those years though.
That's part of it. You spend a week of Roxas's life as reality slowly falls apart because the simulation he's living in is being pushed to the breaking point. His friends helplessly watch Roxas breakdown over time until they, too, are revealed to be just another part of the simulation. Roxas finally finds himself just as he learns he's about to be erased from existence, and in his rage kills his actual best friend. Then he willingly becomes part of Sora and no one but the game's villains remember him or anything that happened before Sora goes off and has carefree Disney adventures.

Also, the game does a stunning job of showing how a blind need for revenge has ripped the humanity away from the character that was torturing Roxas to save Sora.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:53 PM
Outraged!

I did everything there was to do in Kingdom Hearts 2. Enjoyed the hell out of that game, warts and all. Probably shouldn’t revisit it. Although there was one hint of a side quest at the end of the game that I was never able to do anything with that drove me completely bonkers. I was probably just reading too much into some incidental dialogue or something because I wasn’t able to find any info about what I was supposed to do anywhere. Fairies from sleeping beauty were involved, maybe? Equipment of some sort? Great, now I’m going to have to play that whole damn game again.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:53 PM
Funko Superfan

Pronouns: He/Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerECNM View Post
That's part of it. You spend a week of Roxas's life as reality slowly falls apart because the simulation he's living in is being pushed to the breaking point. His friends helplessly watch Roxas breakdown over time until they, too, are revealed to be just another part of the simulation. Roxas finally finds himself just as he learns he's about to be erased from existence, and in his rage kills his actual best friend. Then he willingly becomes part of Sora and no one but the game's villains remember him or anything that happened before Sora goes off and has carefree Disney adventures.

Also, the game does a stunning job of showing how a blind need for revenge has ripped the humanity away from the character that was torturing Roxas to save Sora.
The slow pace, mystery, and music all make it work but the creme de la creme is when Sora sheds a tear and no one knows why. So fucking poignant, shouldn’t exist in this series about Goofy hitting Captain Hook.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:18 PM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

There are many legitimate complaints you could level at Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite, like about its restricted roster, awful graphics or excessively streamlined combat. But on the other hand, the Story mode is just so perfect for a game like this that I can forgive all of them.

It almost feels like releasing this as a video game was a last minute decision, and it was originally supposed to be a movie.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:29 PM
delete the world

Pronouns: her/she (kisses)

mvci has already pretty obviously inspired a couple tag team games i liked much more so its sacrifice was not in vain. there's honestly a lot i think is cool about it, it's just...not quite there as a whole fighting game. and god, who thinks it's a good idea in this age of streaming to make a game with even more particle effects than xbone killer instinct
Old 07-15-2018, 05:32 PM
oh my car

Pronouns: he/him

I've said it before: they should just put Capcom characters directly into the Marvel universe. This is their home, they live there now. Ken can be the new Iron Fist.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:00 PM
Nothing is more powerful

Pronouns: singular they 4 lyfe

Ace Attorney Investigations 3 featuring Edgeworth versus She-Hulk. It never gets localized.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:29 PM
Come, noble knights!

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Ghost Trick but you use your powers to retcon the many deaths of Marvel characters. And The Incredible Hulk is the only one that can see you.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:21 PM
Just bear with me

This is probably closer to "like what you're not playing," but I finally caved and bought the Disney Afternoon Collection in the recent PSN flash sale. I guess six bucks was my breaking point. Annnnyway, the games are dated and frustrating in that uniquely NES kind of way (I can't cling to Launchpad's helicopter and avoid that freaking bee at the same time, dammit!), but the archives are pretty great; nearly worth the price of admission on their own. Kudos to Cifaldi for being the most dedicated video game historian this side of Russ Perry, Jr.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:51 AM
Balam, It's Showtime!

I'm using a slightly different party than I did last time in FFXIII, and hot damn, Lightning, Vanille, and Sazh's Tri-Disaster should be illegal. I give Sazh enough time to haste everyone, then the enemies just start melting away.
Old 07-20-2018, 05:42 AM
Out Of Warranty

Pronouns: He/him

Quote:
I give Sazh enough time to haste everyone, then the enemies just start melting away.
Yup. This and Vanille playing Saboteur is how you five star most encounters.

But if you really want to break the game, get three accesories with Auto Haste - then you can ditch Sazh for a team member of your choice *and* start killing everything off the bat. I use Fang as my leader - she's a decent SYN when manually controlled and Highwind can kill almost anything that moves.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:13 PM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

XCOM: Enemy Unknown is starting to get its hooks in me. It remains to be seen how long that lasts (I'm about to go for my first "difficult" mission [though I'm playing on Easy] because I need the engineers for the skeleton key), but for now I'm enjoying it.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:29 PM
IRIS Photojournalist

Pronouns: he / his

XCOM is so good. I love that game so much.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:47 PM
d.o_o.b

Just Shapes and Beats has all of the bullet weaving I love in shooters, minus the actual shooting bits. It's also maybe the most exciting game I've played in the last year? Fantastic minimalist aesthetic.
Old 07-21-2018, 04:56 AM
Out Of Warranty

Pronouns: He/him

Area X of Rez Infinite has no right to be so breathtaking in VR.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:33 PM
I have a Plan

Deep Rock Galactic is an excellent game about falling damage and making your dwarf look as close to a Mana series dwarf as possible.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:07 AM
Funko Superfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid View Post
Just Shapes and Beats has all of the bullet weaving I love in shooters, minus the actual shooting bits. It's also maybe the most exciting game I've played in the last year? Fantastic minimalist aesthetic.
Woah this looks amazing

And it's on Switch!!
Old 07-22-2018, 09:28 PM
Funko Superfan

I got it and I love it
Old 07-23-2018, 04:11 AM
Balam, It's Showtime!

After my better-than-expected experience with FF13, I had enough good will for the series to not skip Final Fantasy XIII-2 like I was planning.

I don't hate it?

It has basically none of the things I like about FF13, but in a way, that's good for chaining a three-game series of JRPGs. I really dig getting to explore these environments, and though the combat is definitely significantly easier, it's rare that I find an even remotely modern game that makes me want to take notes. That's not something I want to do for every game, but it's nice to piece things together like this sometimes.

I do have to squint really hard whenever Caius's sword is on screen, though. Caius is the most JRPG anyone has ever been.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Caius is the most JRPG anyone has ever been.
You're not wrong, but he can get a whole lot more JRPG than that.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:08 AM
Fifth Business

Few games are as simultaneously good and bad at the same time as XIII-2, so naturally I love it.

And I really loooooove me some Caius.

His final boss form is three dragons, this can never be stated often or emphatically enough.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:39 PM
d.o_o.b

So, I was playing the challenge mode in Just Shapes and Beats, and this popped up.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:05 PM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

Had my first "pull victory out of my ass" moment in Enemy Unknown. First time up against chrysalids in a rescue mission, was down to two soldiers and was sure I was fucked and managed to snipe my way out of it.

Last edited by Issun; 07-25-2018 at 08:25 PM.
Old 07-24-2018, 02:21 PM
Come, noble knights!

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Just played the demo for WarioWare Gold and it's looking to be just what I wanted* from a 3DS WarioWare title: A huge grab bag of gimmicks from past games in the series. Also I adapted pretty well to the spoken dialogue; it's odd to hear Wario talking beyond grunts and laughs, but even if it's not great I'm not averse to Nintendo trying new things.

* Well, actually what I wanted was a WarioWare D.I.Y. sequel with more robust game-building tools and better sharing options, but I'm just glad the series got a 3DS release at all.
Old 07-24-2018, 05:20 PM
Just bear with me

I'm pleasantly surprised by Nex Machina. I dismissed all the positive reviews because the game looked grody in stills and even video, but ultimately took a chance on it when the price dropped during Sony's flash sale. I'm glad I did, as it's a faithful revival of the Robotron subgenre of twin stick shooters. It's easy to slip into "the zone" while playing, with the world around you fading away and the action becoming your sole focus.

I still don't like the graphics... enemies are indistinct and the dev team has a distressing obsession with screen cluttering particle effects. It's fun, though, and the rookie mode which keeps the game at a reasonable difficulty is much appreciated.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:16 PM
does the Underpants Dance

Pronouns: he/him

Well, it is yet another gacha game, but as usual for the series, the Shin Megami Tensei phone game has a super slick interface and the music is good.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:25 PM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
Had my first "pull victory out of my ass" moment in Enemy Unknown. First time up against chrysalids in a rescue mission, was down to two soldiers and was sure I was fucked and managed to snipe my way out of it.
I was starting to get frustrated with a mission, then I started savescumming. It ain't a pretty way to win, but it makes it more fun for me. I've already lost Nigeria and South Africa, though, which sucks. It's hard to keep everyone calm. Glad I'm on easy so I can't lose more than one country a month.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:46 PM

I used to play a lot of DOTA2. I love this game, even though it has definitely made me a worse person. I don't play it much anymore however. It's lost a lot of its sheen, and I find a lot of how Valve has managed the game to be pretty shitty as of late. Also, a lot of the people I used to play with have naturally melted off of the game. When I do play, it's on a very casual basis, playing only one or two matches of turbo with a friend or two instead of going on a 4-5 full game bender with a 5-stack like in the old days. This is the first time in years I haven't bought a battle pass for the International. So I finally made the decision and decided to sell all of my hats for the game.

Which is a pain-in-the-ass process now thanks to Steam's stuuuupid 2-step system. I had like 1.4k hats saved up? I've put 2/3rds of them up for sale and pulled back >$140. I think I can double that pretty easy once I sell the rest. That's still probably not close to what I've dumped into the game over the years, but it's nice to get something back. Now to see how long I can resist throwing away these fake-monies on impulse buys.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:54 AM
Phantastic Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
Which is a pain-in-the-ass process now thanks to Steam's stuuuupid 2-step system.
If you think it's a pain in the ass for you, try doing it without a mobile device/app.

The day Steam made those changes was the day I completely stopped interacting with the marketplace. I used to sell cards piece-meal and buy a free $5 Steam game once a year or so, but now I just let the cards pile up because I can't be arsed to spend 5 minutes making 10 cents. I gave away my entire card collection to Lyrai a while ago because she asked, and even that was a pain.
Old 07-28-2018, 12:23 PM
Cobra and Phases Group

Started a new game of Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter yesterday evening, and I've somehow put six hours into it already. Fine game. Damn fine game.

Tags
everything is awesome , fear of new threads , good games , just make a new thread , making threads is better , repulsive positivity