The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 05-22-2018, 09:08 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

The thing that struck me as a teenager was how unexpected the box artwork was. I didn't expect to see the wintry scene or the characters to be dressed for the scene or really any kind of meaningful character artwork. I thought the winter dress was a nice touch; Toriyama could have been lazy and just put the characters in their default dress.

I expected the cover art to be something minimal, a la U.S. Final Fantasy 2 and 3, or something more traditionally artistic, like the cover of Secret of Mana, or maybe just the title with minimal art, like the cover of Soul Blazer or Illusion of Gaia or any number of SNES games.

But a scene that could easily have come out of a manga was a delightful surprise.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:32 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torzelbaum View Post
That's one hell of a dowry. (Was it CIB?)
Nah, but it's operational. I also got Goonies II, SMB 1-3, Zelda, Dr. Mario, and a wife who is very good at all of them.

(Also Zelda II, but no human is proficient at that game)
Old Yesterday, 06:46 AM
BIG STUPID SPEED

LET'S LOOK AT
THE OTHER BOXES
FOR DRAGONBALL XENOVERSE 0
#35 - CHRONO TRIGGER

PLAYSTATION - NORTH AMERICA
The Playstation re-releases of Square's SNES games were famously exact re-creations of the Super Nintendo experience, with only two notable additions.

1. Animated cut-scenes.
2. Load Times before and after every battle.

This box wisely focuses on the former.

RANKING: CT ISN'T AN FF GAME THO. SMH.

DS - NORTH AMERICA
People were genuinely surprised when they revealed that the box art we were getting for the DS re-release was just a straight recreation of the North American SNES Box. While most were pretty happy, there were a few voices of disappointment scattered about. Surely the other regions would get a far cooler, newer piece of art than this thing we'd already seen, right?

RANKING: RIGHT?

LITERALLY EVERYTHING ELSE, EVERYWHERE ELSE.
WRONG.

Every other box I was able to track down, Japanese Super Famicom, Australian DS, Hong Kong Playstation, ALL OF THEM, just used this cast shot for the box art. Nothing else! Just this boring-ass cast shot on a blank white background!

I ain't even hating on CT's Cast! They're cool characters who look cool! I like them!

But this isn't even a picture. At best, these are reference materials an artist (like say, the internationally famous Akira Toriyama) would make to nail down the character designs. You know, so he could make sure they looked right while he was drawing stuff like this.
Or this.
Or this.
Or this.
Or this.
Or this.
It's like, holy shit Square. You got one of the most well-known manga artists alive on your project, you had him draw a whole bunch of awesome, emotionally evocative scenes, and then totally ignored all of them in favor of just putting the character designs in a police lineup.

The fuck were you thinking?!

RANKING: WHAT THE FUCK
Old Yesterday, 06:48 AM
Funko Superfan

I donno I like that cast shot cover
Old Yesterday, 06:52 AM
Not a Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daikaiju View Post
Anyone else remember the commercials with subtitled japanese audio? Good times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by four-so View Post
Saw it maybe once or twice on TV but that's about it.
Whaaaaaaaaaa...

That's... something.
Old Yesterday, 06:56 AM
クソゲーが好な人

The cast shot cover is falling in line with Square's other A-list Super Famicom releases - white box, logo, the cast. I don't really have a strong opinion on which I like more - the SNES box does have a more dynamic presentation but it's got all the floating text and other nonsense common to every SNES package that we've discussed before.

The SFC package is a little boring in comparison, but you could say that something so understated was appropriate for what was essentially a crossroads of all the people who'd defined the JRPG genre up to that point.

But that approach isn't appropriate for the American market - Chrono Trigger wasn't a big deal on its own for us because all the factors that made it great weren't known to the average American gamer. It became a big deal for us later because it was so good, but it didn't have any sort of foot in the door except for the two people who played all the Dragon Warriors on NES, knew which Final Fantasy games we'd missed, and had, like, read Japanese gaming magazines or something.
Old Yesterday, 07:02 AM
BIG STUPID SPEED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
I donno I like that cast shot cover
My mind was not fully poisoned against it until I realized I'd gone out of my way to find the most pristine scan of the New Zeland DS release in all of online for nothing.
Old Yesterday, 07:46 AM
of the Black Falcons

I honestly forgot that I put Chrono Trigger at #1, but it deserves it. That snowy action scene captured my imagination when I was a kid.
Old Yesterday, 08:49 AM
Love is OGR

I don't like Toriyama's art for Chrono Trigger at all, but I do prefer the Super Famicom cover for it. It's always going to come down to the other design elements for the boxes.
Old Yesterday, 09:08 AM
-ryn

I also voted for CT.
I personally own the DS version not the original, but its the same art.
What I really like about it is the action and the way various elements are jumping out of the borders to give the scene depth. I like the depiction of the sword being lit on fire which tells you about the combo attacks.

I don't have any strong opinions on the art style. I've never watched or been interested in the dragon ball cartoon and I can't say I've done more than glance at a manga. I do really like how everything is drawn. I like the choice of sensible cold weather outfits. I like the various looks of determination on the faces. I like the choice of white sky and white snow background to really make the characters pop.

I think its a pretty nice piece of art.
I've never seen all those other pieces BEAT posted. I like a lot of those too.
Old Yesterday, 09:21 AM
BIG STUPID SPEED

Toriyama is awesome and Dragonball is awesome.
Old Yesterday, 09:35 AM
Gotta Boogie!

That cover got me so excited when I first saw it. Then I played the game and discovered Frog never fights Heckran and you fight Heckran in a cave the snow comes later and nobody actually has snow clothes and Marle can;t use fire magic.

So I decided it was garbage and never played it again, and I'm glad Chrono Trigger has never ever ranked on any other of our Top 50 lists.

It's a pretty cool cover.
Old Yesterday, 11:09 AM
Love is OGR

I'm sure I've expressed the sentiment before, but I don't dislike Toriyama so much as I have a preference for certain periods in his arc and evolution as an artist. Throughout the '80s and up to 1990 or so, he's probably one of the best cartoonists of all time. After that, his style undergoes a gradual shift into something I don't find personally engaging anymore. Chrono Trigger's 1995 date is way past that personal aesthetic threshold, even if I appreciate many of the pieces posted above on some other level.
Old Yesterday, 12:57 PM

I like Chrono Trigger's box art just fine. But coming to the game late, I don't have the same nostalgia for it as others do, so it wouldn't have made my top 25 threshold. There's also the fact that, of all the illustrations Toriyama made and that BEAT linked to, this cover is probably the most boring one of them all. Almost any of the other ones would have made for a more enticing and memorable box art.

I'm also not as entranced by Toriyama's art style. It's OK and very distinctive. But it doesn't strike a Pavlovian response in the same way that say, Rumiko Takahashi's art style does for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post
You got one of the most well-known manga artists alive on your project, you had him draw a whole bunch of awesome, emotionally evocative scenes, and then totally ignored all of them in favor of just putting the character designs in a police lineup.

The fuck were you thinking?!
They were probably thinking: Hey, we've got the most well-known manga artist alive on our project. We need to ride this and get our money's worth, so we need the customer to instantly recognize that it's Toriyama doing the character designs. And the best way to do that, is to specifically highlight just the character designs and nothing more that could possibly serve to distract or misguide a wondering eye.

Quote:
RANKING: CT ISN'T AN FF GAME THO. SMH.
Real talk: Had Square brought over CT and labeled it "Final Fantasy IV" would any of us have been the wiser?
Old Yesterday, 02:37 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
Real talk: Had Square brought over CT and labeled it "Final Fantasy IV" would any of us have been the wiser?
That's pretty huge departure.
Old Yesterday, 02:49 PM
クソゲーが好な人

It is, but at the same time, Kid Drac had only ever played Mystic Quest and Final Fantasy 1, and had no other frame of reference for Final Fantasy, and had barely even registered the existence of whatever "Dragon Warrior" was. I would have just concluded that Super Nintendo Final Fantasy looked different than its predecessor.
Old Yesterday, 02:51 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

I have a tattoo of Crono on my arm, so I'm a little partial. Of course, I've never seen a single episode of Dragon Ball Anything or read Dragon Ball Anything, so it's not Toriyama so much as really liking Chrono Trigger.

If I had a dime for every person who has mistaken my Crono tattoo for a Dragon Ball tattoo, I could probably buy us all at least a large order of McDonald's fries. Maybe two orders.
Old Yesterday, 07:20 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
So do you mean if they had done that after releasing "Final Fantasy 2" and "Final Fantasy 3" for the Super NES?
Old Yesterday, 07:34 PM
IRIS Photojournalist

#35 Gitaroo Man (PS2, NA, 2002, Koei/iSiS)
Created by Mitsuru Nakamura
Votes: 2 for 54 points
Highest: Ixo (#4)

Wow, this is one of those situations where I feel like a gigantic piece of ignorance has been forced upon me and I am in desperate need of remedying that. Gitaroo Man is a cult classic of the PS2 days, brimming with style and jamming one serious soundtrack, but for some reason or another I just have not noticed it and appreciated it fully...until today. So hey, a new game to hunt down. The level of detail, the bold colors, and the punk/emo aesthetic really make this art surge with energy and depth.

Gitaroo Man's unique artistic flair comes from Mitsuru Nakamura, aka 326, a prominent Japanese illustrator and poet who is best known in his home country for creating an entire PR campaign for a major TV network, and has been chronicled in the New York Times. This is, to my knowledge, his only gaming assignment, but it's a pretty astounding one, to be sure. Alas, I couldn't find a larger non-logo version to share.

PS - there's so many little touches in Nakamura's work omg I'm exhausted lol
Old Yesterday, 07:45 PM
Gotta Boogie!

Never played this game and likely never will, but that is some seriously bitchin' box there.
Old Yesterday, 08:16 PM
King Of Space-Time

Huh. I thought that was a PS1 release. Crazy busy art.
Old Yesterday, 08:55 PM
Not a Beer

Ooooh, that's a good one I just didn't think of. And I own this game and quite like it! Never beat it, though, I couldn't quite make it through the marathon of the Cathedral level near the end.
Old Yesterday, 09:23 PM
BIG STUPID SPEED

LET'S LOOK AT
THE OTHER BOXES
FOR THE LITTLE-KNOWN PREQUEL TO DJ HERO
#34 - GITAROO MAN

PSP
The PSP remake's box is frankly, everything I hate about box art made via cut & paste. They took some cool drawings of the cool characters, and slapped them over a background that would honestly have been pretty awesome to look at if not for the characters thrown on top of it. I've seen this so many times now, and the end result is always so much less than the sum of its parts.

RANKING: D

PS2 - JAPAN
So Japan's PS2 box is completely identical to the North American aside from the language of the title. Well that whole spoilerpop was a waste of time! Hey BEAT, why'd you even bother to include that, you dumb weirdo?

RANKING: I DID IT TO PROVIDE CONTEXT FOR THIS!

PS2 - JAPAN - BUDGET TRIAL VERSION
So WTF are we looking at here? Well, according to the best source available...
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE ENTIRE WIKI ARTICLE I JUST LINKED.
Gitaroo Man Wan (ギタルマン ワン) is a budget trial version of Gitaroo Man, released in Japan on April 5, 2001. Along with a demo of the game's second stage and exclusive cinematic scenes, the game also features an exclusive mini game in which players control Puma as he tries to eat donuts falling from the sky.
So basically it's a playable demo disc featuring some cut content. This is so obviously important, the dedicated wiki ran by hardcore fans of this series couldn't be bothered to write more than two sentences on it. Seriously. That blurb was their entire "article".

I'm a known hater of boxes that consist of blank white backgrounds and character portraits, but I don't actually dislike this one. It reminds me of the little doodles you find on the inside cover of a manga volume, where the artist is just goofing off by having their characters annoy eachother. Those pages are little bonuses that add charm and personality to the package, so going with that particular motif is very appropriate for the cover of this little bonus disk.

RANKING: B
Old Yesterday, 10:15 PM
Accidental AvatarOverlord

The insane aesthetic of Guitaroo Manís cover absolutely matches the gameplay. What you see is basically what you get. Guitar battles with a demon baby, a man dressed as a disco bee, dancing UFOs, a giant battle in space while wearing musical Gundam suits......itís great and insane. Oh and your dog is a robot sometimes. You pick up a game with a cover like that and you know what youíre getting yourself into.

And itís all set to an OST that sounds like this:

Old Yesterday, 10:19 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

Gitaroo Man is crazy good and underappreciated, one of of those 'hidden' gems of the PS2 era.
Old Today, 07:21 AM
クソゲーが好な人

Kudos to Koei for recognizing that the game's artwork was one of its major selling points and keeping that on the cover for the American release.

Anyway this is still a game I need to play someday!
Old Today, 08:49 AM
BIG STUPID SPEED

I found a pretty rad box art from a previous title that I totally missed when writing the post proper.

So I went back and added it in.

And then I quoted the new part here, in this post, so you don't have to go all the way back to page 3 to read it. I'm nice like that.
Quote:
NINTENDO DS - JAPAN
A Haiku:
OFFICE FILLS WITH SCREAMS
AS WE ARE TORN FROM THE EARTH
MAYOR IS GOD NOW
RANKING: A

Tags
are game covers art? , keyboard vomit from beat , top 50 countdown