The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 11-17-2016, 02:35 PM
See you April 15th, folks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
They're characters who happen to share names with popular DC characters, nothing more.
Yeah, I don't think of it so much as a DC show as "Based on a story inspired by DC Comics."

Also you'll send yourself mad trying to figure out how they can get from Point A to Point B, where Point A is "any given episode of the show" and Point B is "Some kind of reasonable starting point for Batman in the comics." I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they killed Bruce off before the show ended.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:20 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Subtle.

Supergirl felt nicely plot-dense yesterday, with three different threads going on and a couple of surprise appearances. Although no real crossover setup, so presumably something happens tonight to kick things off. Bit of a change from the Legends setup running through the early part of last year....

Now, who could they possibly find to play Lex...? Who would presumably be about, say, 44 or 45 in this universe....?
Old 11-22-2016, 02:46 PM
💀S☠K💀E☠L💀E☠T💀O☠N💀

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
Now, who could they possibly find to play Lex...? Who would presumably be about, say, 29 or 30 with carefully styled movie star hair in this universe....?
It's a CW Show.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:48 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

My age range was very specifically chosen given Supergirl's habit of casting out of prior Superman casts.

Because then we can get that live-action The Great Brain Robbery that we've always secretly needed.
Old 11-23-2016, 06:09 AM
💀S☠K💀E☠L💀E☠T💀O☠N💀

1.) OH FUCK THAT WOULD BE GOOD.
2.) OH FUCK THERE IS NO WAY I TRUST THEM TO DO THAT AFTER THE TIRE FIRE THAT WAS FOR THE GIRL WHO HAS EVERYTHING.
Old 11-23-2016, 01:52 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

To be fair, odds are good that it'd be a Flash ep and I trust them a tad more than the Supergirl writing staff (although they're getting better now that their network notes are from CW rather than CBS).

But Grant Gaustin playing Lex would just work so well because it's so ridiculously against type (EG, the Red Kryptonite Supergirl ep from last year).
Old 11-23-2016, 06:25 PM

Okay, that's now second on my wish list for crossover plotlines, right ahead of Alex Danvers and Sara Lance teaming up to kick ass and gossip about their sisters.
Old 11-24-2016, 08:21 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie View Post
Okay, that's now second on my wish list for crossover plotlines, right ahead of Alex Danvers and Sara Lance teaming up to kick ass and gossip about their sisters.
I'm fine for that plotline, but I'd want something else out of it.
Old 11-24-2016, 09:22 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Here's the big movie-esque trailer for the crossover.

I wonder why they're not hyping it as "Invasion!", as the episodes will be titled?

Regardless of how this turns out - and I have no predictions given that Arrow's episode is the 100th of the series and will almost certainly screw with the momentum - this is gonna be fun.

(Only disappointment: looks like Wynn isn't making the trip, so the tech support team of Wells, Felicity, Cisco and Mr. Terrific is one short)
Old 11-24-2016, 10:23 AM
Programmed to Jingle

I really hope that Steel joins Supergirl and Cyborg joins Team Flash before too long. Just for maximum confusion next time there's a crossover like this.
Old 11-24-2016, 10:53 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

We've already got multiple Vixens, Firestorms, and Flashes running around, what's a few more?

I realise what's been bugging me about this, because it's the same thing that annoys me about post-New52 DC: You can't have a Justice League without the Martian Manhunter. You just can't.
Old 11-28-2016, 03:06 PM
This Guy

I'm finally caught up after missing a few weeks. Supergirl remains strong, each episode of the Flash is fine individually but I'm not sure I'm liking where things are going, Arrow is better but still Arrow and Legends remains unmissable complete trash.

I will be really disappointed in Supergirl if she and Mon-El hook up. I liked the James Olsen romance and while I was fine with moving on from it, but I don't like doing it to make room for that story.

Also, who the fucks idea was Heroes v Aliens instead of just going with Invasion?
Old 11-28-2016, 03:32 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

My completely baseless speculation is that it's a trademark issue.
Old 11-28-2016, 03:47 PM
This Guy

That's a good reason not to use Invasion, but not a reason to go with the clumsy and just plain shitty Heroes v Aliens. A tiny amount of effort could have found something better than that.
Old 11-28-2016, 03:55 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Remember this is the same production team who named the first crossover "Flash v Arrow." They don't do subtle.
Old 11-28-2016, 04:05 PM
💀S☠K💀E☠L💀E☠T💀O☠N💀

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post
So I got to that part of Flash season 2 last night.

Hoo boy do I have some thoughts.
Old 11-28-2016, 06:43 PM
Half-Ninja

Quote:
So I got to that part of Flash season 2 last night.

Hoo boy do I have some thoughts.
This'll be good.
Old 11-29-2016, 05:55 AM
💀S☠K💀E☠L💀E☠T💀O☠N💀

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
This'll be good.
We both know that's not true.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:46 AM
Programmed to Jingle

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
This'll be good.
Personally, I'm excited for his reaction to the season finale. That's a spicy meatball if ever there was one.

As for myself, I'm nearly done Legends of Tomorrow, and it's grown on me a bit, but I still dislike about half the main cast and just about every episode dealing with the main Vandal Savage plot. Then I got to an episode where Ray turned super giant and got into a fist-fight with Vandal Savages giant Chemo-esque super robot.

And now I don't know how I'm supposed to feel.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:29 AM
💀S☠K💀E☠L💀E☠T💀O☠N💀

SO FLASH SEASON 2 EH?

So according to this episode list I just looked at to refresh my memory, I'm like three-quarters of the way done with this chunk of CW Superhero TV. Once I'm done, I can start Watching Arrow Season 5/Flash Season 3/Legends of Tomorrow Season 2/Supergirl season 2, preferably all four of them playing simultaneously on 4 screens scattered about the room, so that I might steel my soul for the eventual SUPER ULTRA FUCK YOU MEGACROSSOVER that will surely rock my world with it's equal parts SUPERHERO CROSSOVER and and the nagging sensation that I'm supposed to be rooting for at least half of these assholes to make out with eachother.

Where was I oh right Flash S2. It's okay. There's a lot of good stuff in it I kinda dig. I love that they went all in on the super comic-booky EARTH2 (COMPLETE WITH GORILLA CITY OMG). In the same vein I really like how all-in they went with TIME TRAVEL SHIT, like the episode where Barry goes back to last year hoping real hard that he won't paradox shit up, only to paradox things SO BAD that a paradox ghost decide they have to murder him. I wasn't really onboard with COP GIRLFRIEND and more "I KNO UR KEEPING SEKRETS" "NUH UUUUH" drama but there's something to be said about just how excited she was at the prospect of ULTRASHARK. Also a black kid shows up and is like YO I'M WALLY WEST and and I'm like Fuck yeah Wally West is black now kick ass. Flash has been kinda a debbie downer lately but he's still doing better than ARROW by merit of not being ARROW.

So like the components here are great! You got everything you need to make a big goofy fun comic book adventure!

BUT THE WAY THEY USE THOSE COMPONENTS IS JUST AAAARRRRRRGHGGGGGGH.

Like, when they all go to Earth-2, a planet with a LITERAL CITY OF SUPER GORILLAS and also ATLANTIS. And you're like Fuck yeah time to do awesome earth 2 shit! Haha WRONG we're gonna spend our time in a crazy alternate universe pointing out that Flash still has it bad for his adoptive sister. It's like goddammit I was hoping for "I WILL NOW BARGAIN WITH THE GORILLA GOVERNMENT SO I CAN GET AN ARMY OF SUPER GORILLAS TO HELP ME BEAT UP THE FAST GUY WITH THE SPOOKY MASK AND DUMB VOICE" and I got another batch of IT'S OKAY IF IT'S NOT BLOOD RELATED RIGHT straight out of a durty japanese Mango. Like, what the fuck.

The show is full of weird choices like that. The one that springs immediately to mind is SHARKMAN! I mean just writing the word SHARKMAN gets me all excited because hell yes goddamn man shark. That's the sort of shit you're supposed to pull out every last fucking stop for, really go ALL FUCKING IN with as much MEGAJAWS as you possibly can! If you told me to make an episode about SHARKMAN, I would start it with him tearing a shit ton of boats in half, somehow work that into a big act 2 fight in the central city aquarium with him getting all tangled up in indignant octopuses and shit. End it with an EPIC THROWDOWN in Sharkman's SECRET UNDERSEA LAB cuz he's still a highly educated scientist LOOKING FOR THE CURE or at least he was until he realized being a SHARKMAN is WAY THE FUCK AWESOME so fuck cures so now he just does secret super science and was only even messing with Flash because GOTH BADGUY FLASH wouldn't leave him alone with that irritating you gotta kill Flash u jus gotta shit. End on the POWER OF FRIENDSHIP. Bring him back for next season's big crossover where Oliver Queen is like "Oh no the BAD GUY" can breathe underwater how will we ever beat him and Flash can be all like "I know JUST THE GUY!" THIS SHIT WRITES ITSELF.

So why the FUCK did the Sharkman episode filled with all this STONE FACED DRAMA with everybody having FEELINGS about the STONE FACED DRAMA that happened on earth 2 about how Earth 2 Dad died and earth 2 Barry and Iris didn't have to worry about quasi-incest? You have a new villain every other episode, so why the hell did they put the one with the absolute MAXIMUM CRAZY FUN POTENTIAL in the episode that's 90% focused on feeling mopey? I'll accept that maybe the world and TV budgets are not yet ready for SUPER GORILLA GUERRILLA WAR, that was always a pipe dream, but NOT doing anything awesome in the episode NAMED King Shark?! That's just fucking unforgivable.

And then there's Zoom.

Just.

Zoom.

Last edited by BEAT; 11-29-2016 at 08:37 AM. Reason: HAHAHA IT'S NOT THE BACK TO THE FUTURE TO BE CONTINUED IT'S THE NO MORE HEROES ONE.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:34 AM
💀S☠K💀E☠L💀E☠T💀O☠N💀

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
As for myself, I'm nearly done Legends of Tomorrow, and it's grown on me a bit, but I still dislike about half the main cast and just about every episode dealing with the main Vandal Savage plot. Then I got to an episode where Ray turned super giant and got into a fist-fight with Vandal Savages giant Chemo-esque super robot.

And now I don't know how I'm supposed to feel.
I can't tell you what to feel, I only know what I felt.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:14 AM
Programmed to Jingle

I don't think I've ever been as emotionally crushed as I was when I watched King Shark.
Old 11-29-2016, 12:43 PM

So apparently Greg Berlanti is teasing The Spectre for an upcoming Arrow episode.

I... Assume this ties into Ragman? I mean, I'm always into the Spectre, that's not the issue. I'm just not sure it gels with the "hey, remember DC's 80s street vigilantes?" vibe and trends too much toward "the Arrow Gang fights space wizards."

OTOH, maybe they'll keep it to "Jim Corrigan, street-level detective who can also summon the wrath of God's vengeance when the occasion calls for it."
Old 11-29-2016, 12:50 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Seems like he'd have been a better fit with the magic-infused prior season, doesn't it? Ragman already seems like he's way overpowered for what they're playing at this time around.

Spectre doesn't seem like he's got a natural home in the CWVerse.

(Too bad Gotham moved away from Gotham Central, the whole Corrigan subplot was awesome)
Old 11-29-2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
Seems like he'd have been a better fit with the magic-infused prior season, doesn't it? Ragman already seems like he's way overpowered for what they're playing at this time around.

Spectre doesn't seem like he's got a natural home in the CWVerse.

(Too bad Gotham moved away from Gotham Central, the whole Corrigan subplot was awesome)
Yeah, I mean, the obvious fit for Spectre is the long-cancelled Constantine, and I guess Constantine has shown up on Arrow, which makes Arrow the magic-show-by-default. Still, I cringe because Magic is a big part of what didn't work about last season for me.
Old 11-29-2016, 02:17 PM
Programmed to Jingle

Quote:
I can't tell you what to feel, I only know what I felt.
Yep.

And followed up by an episode of them locking Vandal in a transparent box and then they all talk to him one at a time and he clumsily plays bad mind games with them, which works perfectly because this show doesn't like it when I start enjoying it for very long.

And really, has locking a villain in a transparent box ever worked?
Old 11-29-2016, 02:18 PM
This Guy

It kept Magneto in jail for almost half a movie.
Old 11-29-2016, 02:23 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

I don't think Thawne's ever actually broken out of the pipeline and he's been in there about three times now....

(Oh, wait, easier: Thawne in the season premiere this year)
Old 11-29-2016, 06:20 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

SO MANY DIGG ONE LINERS.

Sweet christ they just burned through what I thought would take an episode in five minutes... including just straight out showing the Supergirl scene from yesterday meaning that my highly medicated attempt to tough it out through that episode was pointless.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:33 PM
This Guy

I will never stop being annoyed at this "Barry changed everything, he is a terrible person" story that is apparently going to go on all season long. It will never work for me because the culprit in his Mom's murder was a time traveler. The Legends telling him not to go back and change that is patently ridiculous when doing that exact thing is the very premise of their show. If she had been killed during a break in gone wrong, that would be one thing, but she was killed by a villain who traveled back in time to get at the Flash.

But hey, this episode was pretty fun.

Tags
bad thread titles , don’t worry sven i get it , i don't get it , nobody gets it