The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 08-07-2016, 09:27 AM
GASP

Default Olympics Thread

Lost forever, the truncated thread title and Vaeran's amazing joke about it will live on in our hearts.
Old 08-07-2016, 09:48 AM
whatever it takes

Old 08-07-2016, 10:16 AM
Find Your Reason

I blame myself. I should have known the IOC would hunt down all unauthorized GIFs and destroy them and their hosting.

..oh what the hell here it is again.

Anyone else catch Oksana Chusovitina's performance at the Women's Gymnastics qualifying round this morning? She was absolutely astonishing, and she's 40!
Old 08-07-2016, 12:23 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Only watching Swimming and Water Polo this year.

Also, thank the Goddess for VPNs and the BBC
Old 08-07-2016, 12:26 PM
GASP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
Also, thank the Goddess for VPNs and the CBC
Old 08-07-2016, 01:12 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Fencing! Yay!
Old 08-07-2016, 02:48 PM
Ruffian

I'm watching everything! My favorites are gymnastics and swimming.
Old 08-07-2016, 03:05 PM
Oily Butt Thing

Kosovo gets its first medal in history as Majlinda Kelmendi wins gold in women's 52kg judo.

also, massive upset in men's 66kg as the worryingly handsome Fabio Basile of Italy goes from unseeded to gold.
Old 08-07-2016, 03:26 PM
Merry Christmas, Ma

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
Kosovo gets its first medal in history as Majlinda Kelmendi wins gold in women's 52kg judo.

also, massive upset in men's 66kg as the worryingly handsome Fabio Basile of Italy goes from unseeded to gold.
Kelmendi was fighting tears in the last few seconds. Judo this year has been beyond amazing
Old 08-07-2016, 03:44 PM
Merry Christmas, Ma

Fabio Basile is your fight sport sex god. When he wins he tears open his gi jacket, motions to his rippling abs and blows kisses to the stands. When he won gold he signaled he was going to climb into a bottle of wine and stay there until closing ceremonies.
Old 08-07-2016, 03:49 PM
Oily Butt Thing

meanwhile top seeded An Baul of South Korea appeared to be really fucking annoyed.

deadspin prepared this excellent highlight of the best ippons from day one; the armbar from the Uzbek cat in the middle there is fucking gnarly.
Old 08-07-2016, 04:03 PM
Merry Christmas, Ma

The boxing tournament has been quietly impressive, too. The new AIBA rules have made the fights watchable for the purposes of entertainment(!!!)

I give it another four years before workrates reach 1998-2002 K1 WGP heights
Old 08-07-2016, 04:06 PM
Oily Butt Thing

p. sure amateur boxing becoming a worthwhile spectator sport is a sign of the third or fourth seal opening.
Old 08-07-2016, 04:21 PM
Merry Christmas, Ma

I'm fearful, but also enjoying the Hearns-Mugabi vibe this Aze/Ukr match gives off
Old 08-07-2016, 04:36 PM
just ignore my posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
The boxing tournament has been quietly impressive, too. The new AIBA rules have made the fights watchable for the purposes of entertainment(!!!)

I give it another four years before workrates reach 1998-2002 K1 WGP heights
AIBA rules? Can you explain how that'd effect things?

I'd google that, but knowing so little about boxing I wouldn't understand the effects upon reading them.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:03 PM
Merry Christmas, Ma

AIBA is the amateur boxing federation, and it's as corrupt/out of touch as you would expect.

re: the rules: In 1988 American Roy Jones, Jr. lost to Park Si-Hun in the finals at the Seoul Olympics. Classic hometown decision to give RoK another gold. This led to a fairly large scandal, which AIBA handled by fundamentally changing the judging criteria for boxing.

Historically boxing judges awarded rounds based on effective punches, mobility, defense, etc. But under the new regime judges awarded a point for a landed punch - five judges at ringside were given punch counters, and any punch not counted by three was disregarded. They even painted little white sections on the gloves to make punches easier to score. This Rube Goldberg device was considered the best possible solution.

The higher order impacts of this change were manifold. American boxers, who consider the amateur ranks as preparation for professional boxing, went from the best in the world to hot dogshit. Fighters from the ex-Communist Bloc region dedicated themselves to the new regime with fanatic dedication and transformed world-class amateur boxing into a kind of waist-up Tae Kwon Do. Attacks from distance. Flashy, obvious punches instead of combos. Bodypunches all but vanished.

After 2012 AIBA shitcanned all of the above and started to turn amateur boxing into a more crowd-pleasing team sport. Now the sport is back where it started: No headgear, subjective judging, pro-style offense back in style.

e: AIBA also ruled that professionals can compete in the Olympics, but this has had less than no impact on the event. Three pros qualified, at least one of whom didn't make it out of the first round of the prelims.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:09 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
AIBA is the amateur boxing federation, and it's as corrupt/out of touch as you would expect.

re: the rules: In 1988 American Roy Jones, Jr. lost to Park Si-Hun in the finals at the Seoul Olympics. Classic hometown decision to give RoK another gold. This led to a fairly large scandal, which AIBA handled by fundamentally changing the judging criteria for boxing.

Historically boxing judges awarded rounds based on effective punches, mobility, defense, etc. But under the new regime judges awarded a point for a landed punch - five judges at ringside were given punch counters, and any punch not counted by three was disregarded. They even painted little white sections on the gloves to make punches easier to score. This Rube Goldberg device was considered the best possible solution.

The higher order impacts of this change were manifold. American boxers, who consider the amateur ranks as preparation for professional boxing, went from the best in the world to hot dogshit. Fighters from the ex-Communist Bloc region dedicated themselves to the new regime with fanatic dedication and transformed world-class amateur boxing into a kind of waist-up Tae Kwon Do. Attacks from distance. Flashy, obvious punches instead of combos. Bodypunches all but vanished.

After 2012 AIBA shitcanned all of the above and started to turn amateur boxing into a more crowd-pleasing team sport. Now the sport is back where it started: No headgear, subjective judging, pro-style offense back in style.

e: AIBA also ruled that professionals can compete in the Olympics, but this has had less than no impact on the event. Three pros qualified, at least one of whom didn't make it out of the first round of the prelims.
I'll pay attention when they bring back Classical Boxing
Old 08-07-2016, 05:13 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
While we're at it bring back the Pankration and the Hoplitodromos (also competing nude)
Old 08-07-2016, 05:19 PM
Merry Christmas, Ma

Quote:
No less an authority than Lenny McLean argues that the 8oz boxing glove is the deadliest implement in the history of sport.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:21 PM

As much as I enjoyed watching boxing, I have a hard time justifying it these days. It really is a senselessly cruel bloodsport.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:29 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
No less an authority than Lenny McLean argues that the 8oz boxing glove is the deadliest implement in the history of sport.
modern gloves don't have the "sharp thong" let alone use the Roman caestus.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:35 PM
Merry Christmas, Ma

Quote:
modern gloves don't have the "sharp thong" let alone use the Roman caestus.
Lenny specifically calls out the cestus as safer, for his part
Old 08-07-2016, 05:36 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Lenny specifically calls out the cestus as safer, for his part
He might have misunderstood what it was? I need to read this.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:37 PM
Merry Christmas, Ma

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
As much as I enjoyed watching boxing, I have a hard time justifying it these days. It really is a senselessly cruel bloodsport.
Boxing is cruel, and it is a blood sport. It is, at least, honest about its cost. Football, rugby, et al have yet to clear that low bar.

Quote:
He might have misunderstood what it was? I need to read this.
I've been looking for this video for years to no avail. I swear I didn't imagine it.
Old 08-07-2016, 06:52 PM
oh my car

I'm looking for the music that played during the parade in the opening ceremony. The whole thing, all however many hours of it, by itself. If such a thing exists, my gratitude for the one who brings it to be will be considerable.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:15 PM
just ignore my posts

Quote:

Thanks.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:25 PM
This Guy

I saw a cyclist bite it today and it looked really painful.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:27 PM
Zen-vergonha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Bill View Post
I'm looking for the music that played during the parade in the opening ceremony. The whole thing, all however many hours of it, by itself. If such a thing exists, my gratitude for the one who brings it to be will be considerable.
I've done a quick search on google and only founded one list. I think it only has music that... how can i say this? I mean, the music that was sang/played, not the music that was used as background music, which is a shame. I wonder if there will be an official release.

Anyway, i don't think this is what you are looking for, but just in case here's the link. The versions of the music played here aren't the ones from the opening of the Olympics, naturally.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:33 PM
oh my car

Quote:
Originally Posted by juca View Post
I've done a quick search on google and only founded one list. I think it only has music that... how can i say this? I mean, the music that was sang/played, not the music that was used as background music, which is a shame. I wonder if there will be an official release.

Anyway, i don't think this is what you are looking for, but just in case here's the link. The versions of the music played here aren't the ones from the opening of the Olympics, naturally.
Yeah, that ain't it. It's specifically the background from the parade that I'm looking for. Thanks, though.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:36 PM
Oily Butt Thing

Speaking of yooge upsets, the Williams sisters blown out in straight sets by the Czechs in doubles tennis.

Tags
olympics , pissin hot in 8 years , rat poison for gold