The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 08-01-2017, 04:46 PM
We just don't know.

I feel like Jorah's being healed was also actually a long time later, when the treatment has had time to take and all those cutting scars/etc. time to set, more or less, and they've seen that it isn't just coming back. There might have even been a dialogue indication of that, but I can't recall specifically.

The travel is a good indication, as estragon and I said, but when other stories also don't indicate travel and could happen at much different timeframes, it definitely muddies the waters. And it's worse when, we've got huge timeskips like that within a single episode like we did this week; we see Euron and Jaime at King's Landing, and then like a week to a month later we see them at Casterly Rock and Highgarden, possibly more or less concurrently but also maybe at a divide from one another. And Cersei told Mycroft from Bravos to wait "a fortnight," which also muddles things because that's only two weeks.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:12 PM
Outraged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
I feel like Jorah's being healed was also actually a long time later, when the treatment has had time to take and all those cutting scars/etc. time to set, more or less, and they've seen that it isn't just coming back. There might have even been a dialogue indication of that, but I can't recall specifically.
I thought that too, but they specifically told him he was getting shipped out the next day because he was so far gone.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:15 PM
Tell me about your mother

Episodes like this remind me why I stick with this show.

Jon and Danerys's conflict and eventual compromise felt very authentic. We actually see the Unsullied actually deliver on their reputation of being badasses, and the ending was powerful and haunting. The only thing dragging it down was Euron mugging for the camera, like always. At least his screentime was short.

Even the execution of the Sand Snakes (the part I was dreading the most) felt restrained...by, uh, this show's standards, anyway. It's too bad E.C. comics doesn't exist in Westeros. I imagine Cersei would have been a fan.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:47 PM
Drawerings

If the timing silliness bothers you just repeat to yourself "it's just a show, I should really just relax".
Old 08-02-2017, 06:06 AM
till the sheriff stops by

Euron is my favourite WWF villain.

Also, based on the previews of the next episode, I think it is safe to say all or most of Cersi's newfound wealth is stolen before it gets to her.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:11 AM
Unreliable Narrator

I was excited to see the Iron Bank reappear. Also, Bronn was onscreen, even if just to follow Jaime around.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:23 AM

Bronn is going to take one look at those dragons and be like, "Nope, I'm out. Later, bub!"
Old 08-02-2017, 07:26 AM
It's all good, man

Although she didn't die, that was apparently Ellaria Sand's final appearance on the show. What a waste Dorne has been!
Old 08-02-2017, 09:59 AM
Bertolli?!?...

I want to emphasize that this is not a prediction, because it would be extremely stupid, but did it give anyone else pause that Cersei went directly from wiping deadly poison off her lips with her sleeve to wrapping them around Jaime's lion? That seems like decidedly unsafe sex. Still, good on her for deciding to go loud and proud with their relationship. It was already the 7 Kingdoms' worst-kept secret, so why not be open about it now that she's in charge?

Oh, and RE: Jon/Dany and it being an inevitability that they'll work together, I have a pet prediction that I've been nursing for quite some time that the two of them will realize their shared blood only when Dany tries to put Jon to death by dragon-fire and he emerges unharmed. I don't actually get the feeling that things are heading there at all, but I haven't quite given up on it yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Dude's already a little unstuck in time, and the fact he didn't just come out and say "the previous Three-eyed raven taught me" seemed a little suspicious to me.
Yeah, this also bothered me, but I just thought it was lazy writing rather than hinting at something. "I said it's complicated." Is it though, Bran? I feel like I could do it in a few sentences, and your sister's a smart lady.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Jon's refusal to cede any ground when he doesn't really want to be king and knows he needs help just seems stubborn.
And you're surprised that a Stark is being stubborn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
My first thought on hearing that Melisandre line was, "Why wouldn't Varys die in Westeros? This doesn't seem like it's a very good threat or a particularly impressive prediction."

For it to be threatening or psyche him out, Varys would have to have some sort of plan that involves getting out of Westeros when this is all over. Because if not, it's seems like it falls pretty flat as fortune telling and I don't see why this would phase him at all.

Mel: You're going to die somewhere on the continent where you live, right now, and also where you have lived for most of your life. Isn't it spoooooky?
Varys: No?
This was my exact reaction to this scene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grignr View Post
I was excited to see the Iron Bank reappear. Also, Bronn was onscreen, even if just to follow Jaime around.
Man, I was super upset by that Bronn-tease. You don't finally put Bronn on-screen after 3 episodes and not give him at least a witty one-liner! (Bonus points though for Tyrion quoting a Bronn classic while narrating the battle at Casterly Rock.)
Old 08-02-2017, 10:09 AM
It's all good, man

I thought maybe the raven was a continuous entity that had multiple human hosts over millennia, so it wouldn't make sense from his own perspective to refer to more than one raven.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:12 AM
whatever it takes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
Still, good on her for deciding to go loud and proud with their relationship. It was already the 7 Kingdoms' worst-kept secret, so why not be open about it now that she's in charge?
Her Grace Cersei of the House Lannister, First of Her Name, Queen of the Andals and the First Men, Protector of the Realm, and Giver of Zero Fucks
Old 08-02-2017, 11:13 AM
the :motion: stands

Quote:
I thought maybe the raven was a continuous entity that had multiple human hosts over millennia, so it wouldn't make sense from his own perspective to refer to more than one raven.
Yeah, I could see that. It'd also explain why he's suddenly so HOW DO I HUMAN?
Old 08-06-2017, 10:04 PM
is Earnest

Hey, my crazy ramblings about dragonglass weren't too far off. Dragonsrone has a connection to the children of the forest after all. Or, Jon just drew a bunch of pictures to BS his way into getting help.

And man, that was a great battle.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:34 PM
Interstellar Private Eye

Well... "battle". More like pimp-slap.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:00 PM
We just don't know.

SSSSSHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT

(I liked it)
Old 08-06-2017, 11:18 PM
Drawerings

Probably the greatest battle sequence I've seen in anything.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:57 AM

Not even the greatest GoT battle sequence (still didn't top the Battle of the Bastards) but still super dope. Great job demonstrating 1) the efficacy of mounted steppe people versus the outdated armies/tactics of antiquity, and 2) big fuckin Dragons.

Question for anyone who could decipher Bran's incoherent mumblings: what did he say at the end to Littlefinger about chaos?
Old 08-07-2017, 04:44 AM
Interstellar Private Eye

Littlefinger makes a remark about the chaos Bran finds upon his return, and Bran answers "chaos is a ladder".

It's a quote from an old Littlefinger speech, explaining his whole MO. Petyr's reaction is priceless, because he knows Bran's on to him.
Old 08-07-2017, 05:20 AM
Unreliable Narrator

Because "Previously on Game of Thrones" is the true power of the Three-Eyed raven.

Also, at last, my Bronn-service!
Old 08-07-2017, 05:39 AM
Your life is forfeit

I'm so glad Davos is preserving the one good part of Stannis's legacy ("Fewer." "What?"). I would say he is a good egg, but he is in fact a good onion.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:18 AM
It's all good, man

It's the strength of Game of Thrones that they can finally show Dany wrecking shit with her army and dragon and we don't want complete victory because Jaime and Bronn are on the other side.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:28 AM
I'm kind of over memes.

One of my favourite bits of sound design every time it comes up: that descending, droning sound of the dragon inhaling just before it spouts fire. It's immensely satisfying.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:51 AM
Leading Sigma's Sleigh

Pretty great episode. It's nice finally see Dany use the resources available to her. She'd be in better shape if her dragons had been available in the other battles she's lost. Though I suppose she doesn't have any actual riders yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
1) the efficacy of mounted steppe people versus the outdated armies/tactics of antiquity
To be fair, not really? Light cavalry is famously terrible at charging fortified infantry. They probably would have won on numbers alone, but without Dany's close air support, an actual cavalry charge would have suffered devastatingly heavy losses by charging straight at spear/pike formations like that. The Mongols were effective because of their discipline and battlefield tactics, not because spear formations were outdated. Massed infantry formations were actually prevalent even as cavalry started falling out of favor.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:15 AM
Your life is forfeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulus View Post
Pretty great episode. It's nice finally see Dany use the resources available to her. She'd be in better shape if her dragons had been available in the other battles she's lost. Though I suppose she doesn't have any actual riders yet.
Jon and Tyrion are right there with her!
Old 08-07-2017, 01:09 PM

Don't forget Bran. I think that's what the Three Eyed Raven might've been hinting at
Old 08-07-2017, 01:12 PM
We just don't know.

This whole bend-the-knee thing, combined with Davos asking Jon what he thinks about Dany/saw her staring at her thing is leading to one very obvious conclusion: they get married to unite the thrones. It doesn't even have to be the romantic "will they end up together?!" thing people have been focusing on, but that's not really how GRRM does, anyway. It solves their political impasse and cements an alliance that both(?) sides need. There's the issue, though, of whether they'd sit together on the Iron Throne, or somehow have two kingdoms, or what. And of course,
what would the North think of it?

I like the way the Lannisters' successes and defeats have been handled this season. They were winning! Oops, bad news for them! So, like we said before, it's obvious that it was just raising stakes for Our Heroes, but it was also a) clever and effective of the Lannisters, and b) felt realistic for the forces as they'd been presented so far. Of course this sinks that whole Iron Bank victory Cersei has been enjoying and makes a certain other side look good in the eyes of the outside observers.

Also, I'm really enjoying all the Stark Reunions. It's simple and cathartic, of course, but it also makes perfect sense to have all the Stark children finally reunite at Winterfell. And they've been through so much;
having them see each other for what they are as young adults after six or seven years apart, growing into noble ladies, magic seers, super assassins or whatnot and how they're not entirely sure who each other are anymore; I kind of want to see them just sit and talk and get familiar again, but that's not a scene there's going to be much spare screen time for, I worry.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:45 PM
Merry Christmas, Ma

It ain't over until Rickon's Shaggy Dog story ends with him walking into Winterfell at the literal last second.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:54 PM
It's all good, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
This whole bend-the-knee thing, combined with Davos asking Jon what he thinks about Dany/saw her staring at her thing is leading to one very obvious conclusion: they get married to unite the thrones. It doesn't even have to be the romantic "will they end up together?!" thing people have been focusing on, but that's not really how GRRM does, anyway. It solves their political impasse and cements an alliance that both(?) sides need. There's the issue, though, of whether they'd sit together on the Iron Throne, or somehow have two kingdoms, or what. And of course,
what would the North think of it?
Also, the whole incest thing. Do they find out before it happens? Do they ever find out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
It ain't over until Rickon's Shaggy Dog story ends with him walking into Winterfell at the literal last second.
About that...
Old 08-07-2017, 02:09 PM
Your life is forfeit

Quote:
About that...
I don't know if Rickon could walk into Winterfell, but maybe he could white-walk.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:11 PM
Good Bee

Quote:
Also, the whole incest thing. Do they find out before it happens? Do they ever find out?
Master-of-tact Bran shows up at the wedding to share the good news.

Unrelated, but what ever happened to Ghost? Did he just bail after Jon was killed? Was this ever addressed in some scene I've forgotten?

Tags
boob of boobs , da king inna norf , hbo , hodor , meanwhile in dorne , ours is the fury , stupid sexy jorah , television , the north remembers , tits and dragons , wincest , you know nothing