The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 07-11-2016, 06:50 AM
ah’m margaret wartahm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
I found this hot take on why Game of Thrones sucks. I have below the sins the author lists in case you don't want to scroll through the whole thing.

(Also, I never heard of Hiroki Azuma but his work summarized here on otaku culture is dead on.)
Respond to this thinkpiece now, Dizzy
Old 07-11-2016, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
What's also important is who his father is.
Yeah he's half Targaryen and in the epic war to come he's going to go Super Saiyan and his hair will turn silver and then maybe we'll get an awesome sex scene between him and Dany and they'll have lots of silver-haired babies. I can't wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavelsAreNeat View Post
Respond to this thinkpiece now, Dizzy
It's bullshit. Adam Elkus is wrong.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:44 AM
Oily Butt Thing

Quote:
Yeah he's half Targaryen and in the epic war to come he's going to go Super Saiyan and his hair will turn silver and then maybe we'll get an awesome sex scene between him and Dany and they'll have lots of silver-haired babies. I can't wait.
this is not a comment on dizzy particularly because I think he's just dizzying here, but I totally can't figure out why so many shippers are so stoked to see jon bang his aunt.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:30 AM

(oh I definitely am being sarcastic. The others are Targaryen blood purists, though.)
Old 07-11-2016, 10:30 AM
Merry Christmas, Ma

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
this is not a comment on dizzy particularly because I think he's just dizzying here, but I totally can't figure out why so many shippers are so stoked to see jon bang his aunt.
It's even weirder on account of how the Targaryen policies on incest have been violently rejected by the text.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:44 AM
>TRANCE

Quote:
• I loved the concept of the Iron Bank. It was bewildering to learn in S1 that a fantasy kingdom could have severe financial issues and then you discover why and know about the Iron Bank. Fantasy fiction needs more looming financial institutions if it doesn’t already.
Check out The Traitor Baru Cormorant - it's about a girl whose home is colonized, and who resolves to enact her revenge from within the empire's bureaucracy. She's immediately sent off to a different colony to crush a (potential?) rebellion as an accountant.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:08 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
It's even weirder on account of how the Targaryen policies on incest have been violently rejected by the text.
Shipper Thirst>>>Stable Government
Old 07-11-2016, 11:17 AM
is Earnest

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
Shipper Thirst>>>Stable Government
This also applies to the Republican VP speculation in the Campaign trail thread.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:11 PM
Interstellar Private Eye

The author of the books has said the ending is not something we are expecting, and while the show has diverged on various subplots, we are led to believe it will reach a similar conclusion. The major themes of the books revolve around the awful consequences of war. The westerosi frowned upon incest, and only tolerated the Targaryens because they had dragons. I don't believe Jon's lineage will only become relevant because of creepy shipping theories and wish-fulfilling war fantasies. Of course, at least an aspect of those things will be involved, but there's got to be some twist behind them. The political repercussions alone will make for good entertainment, both on screen and page.

I'm not crazy for those things to happen*, but I really am interested in how they will play out.

*Really? His aunt? Jesus.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:40 PM
We just don't know.

Yeah, while basically everything leading up to the endgame has been laid out in hints and prophecies and so on which have been analyzed and dissected and predicted to death by book readers with years and years on their hands, the endgame itself is very much up in the air. The alliances and rivalries, the relationships, the fallout, who lives and who dies... once we get there, anything could happen. Which is neat.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:23 PM
Highway To HFIL

I just think it's neat that Jon's being Lyanna and Rhaegar's son means that literally every event in the whole story can be traced back to him.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:43 PM

Yea I can't see an incest-end. What I think that's leading up to instead is a confrontation with regards to gender roles. Iirc it's implied that while the Targaryan King was the conqueror, it was secretly the women in the family that were the real strength behind the throne and did all the heavy lifting. We already saw several similar situations play out this season where the more levelheaded and wise option for ruler happened to be female, and all the men in the room basically said "naw fuck this, we need a dude on the throne" in the case of Winterfell and the Iron Islands. If Jon's lineage becomes public, that's going to be greatly at odds with Danys claim to the throne. So we'll potentially see more factionalization, or for once wisdom and merit succeed over bigotry and privilege. It also creates the possibility for the royal lineage to continue if Danys decides she doesn't want to marry ever again, if we're going a less adversarial route. Or the white walkers could just win. Wouldn't that be a fun ending?
Old 07-11-2016, 02:00 PM

My predictions (S7 or so):

Cersei (the Dick Cheney of KL) will be the first to go down. Either Arya, Sansa or Daenerys will take her down but Jaime will try to prevent it and die in the process. Daenerys already has Dorne (+Highgarden) and the Iron Islands backing her and the North (+the Riverlands) is forever against the South and Lannisters, or at the very least ambivalent.

Daenerys will wreak havoc across the Seven Kingdoms to assert authority but Jon will bring her around to taking down the Others, especially since Jon doesn't care about the Iron Throne. Both of them will team up to take down the Night King, who will be revealed to be Jon's father in a Luke-I-am-your-Father moment.

Jon will unlock his hidden Targaryen powers that will allow him to shoot a Spirit Bomb from his hands. Dany becomes the Kwisatz Haderach and rides her dragons up North and boosts global temperatures by 10 degrees.

Outcome: taking out all the ice zombies will make Dany respect Jon and she'll leave the North alone while exercising benevolent control of the rest of the Kingdoms, with the exception of those that seek independence. Dany will probably hook up with Bran because they're superhuman and it will be a Stark/Targaryen mix-match with the Royal Bloodlines for the foreseeable future.

The ghost of Robert Baratheon will be spotted in and around the revamped KL (probably called Valyria at this point) because goddamn I could not get enough of that guy. Best character ever.
Old 07-11-2016, 02:31 PM
It's all good, man

I don't think there's a lot of strong evidence that the Targaryen women were typically better suited to rule than men since they never got a chance. It's more that all that incest makes it a dice role whether the rulers who were chosen ended up being wise or nuts.

It's definitely a thing NOW that the patriarchy is breaking down and it's mostly women who will be cleaning up the pieces, at least in the show.
Old 07-11-2016, 02:34 PM
Oily Butt Thing

Quote:
Jon will unlock his hidden Targaryen powers that will allow him to shoot a Spirit Bomb from his hands.
yo ample vigour which character(s) have experienced true sorrow and will blow up white walkers with the musou tensei.

in re: Dany's theoretical progeny by the way one of the series' less foggy prophecies says she'll never have another kid.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:01 PM
There he is!

I'm expecting Bran to just warg inside one of the dragons and burn up all the white walkers.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:05 PM

How many people can "warg"? — also I had no idea it was called that. I saw one wilding dude control an owl, I think, when his eyes went white and all.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:12 PM
We just don't know.

Quote:
How many people can "warg"? — also I had no idea it was called that. I saw one wilding dude control an owl, I think, when his eyes went white and all.
It's rare. Only a few wildlings. Also the Stark kids. Bran obviously, but besides him, they all have a really strong affinity with their wolves. Jon definitely, he has all sorts of dreams and visions as Ghost. We never find out exactly about Robb since he's not a POV character but it's implied strongly, people always said it was like his wolf was an extension of him to an uncanny degree. Arya has visions/dreams from her wolf's perspective. Sansa never got to find out, and who even knows what's up with Rickon but I think he's said to be a wolflike wild child himself.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:13 PM
is Earnest

I think just those two have been shown. In the books all of the Stark kids could do it to some degree. I think they ditched that for the show.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:24 PM
Interstellar Private Eye

Yeah, the Stark kids can do it, but only Bran is aware of it.

As for the rest, it's just wildlings and people with connections to the old gods. And even then, it's only acknowledged as a thing by the people beyond the wall. Most folks from the Seven Kingdoms think it's either a thing of the past or mumbo jumbo.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:18 PM
Merry Christmas, Ma

Quote:
yo ample vigour which character(s) have experienced true sorrow and will blow up white walkers with the musou tensei.
*holds envelope up to comically huge turban*

Davos Seaworth
Tyrion Lannister
Samwell Tarly

*tears open envelope*

A pimp, a shrimp, and a wimp

Quote:
in re: Dany's theoretical progeny by the way one of the series' less foggy prophecies says she'll never have another kid.
In true GRRM fashion, if you squint right every single one of Mirri's predictions has come to pass. It's just fuzzy enough to mess with you
Old 07-11-2016, 07:39 PM
Highway To HFIL

Quote:
In true GRRM fashion, if you squint right every single one of Mirri's predictions has come to pass. It's just fuzzy enough to mess with you
Are you talking about sun rises in the west, mountains blow like leaves, etc.?
Old 07-11-2016, 07:47 PM
Merry Christmas, Ma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleck View Post
Are you talking about sun rises in the west, mountains blow like leaves, etc.?
You got it
Old 07-11-2016, 07:51 PM
We just don't know.

Quote:
You got it
At the end of DwD (book 5) many readers believe she got her period again, showing that the prophecy was fulfilled but we're pretty deep into Book Talk at this point
Old 07-11-2016, 08:19 PM

Goddamn I confused Bernard Hill with Liam Cunningham. I thought Cunningham was the captain in Titanic! Well, at least I saw him in Hunger with Fassbender. Good movie. Good Cunningham. Good lad.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:00 PM
Oily Butt Thing

other good Liam Cunningham flicks: Dog Soldiers, Harry Brown, The Guard, The Escapist.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:04 PM
Interstellar Private Eye

Quote:
The Guard
Oh, that's where I'd seen him!
Old 07-11-2016, 09:07 PM

Wow wow wow

One of the showrunners, David Benioff, is the same dude who wrote The 25th Hour? Holy shit. I mean I saw the Spike Lee adaptation but from what I gathered the source material was damn good. That is sooooo weird!

(I'm sorry guys, I keep noticing shit and have to bring it up)
Old 07-11-2016, 09:11 PM
Oily Butt Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanfrugalj View Post
Oh, that's where I'd seen him!
It's kind of weird seeing him in movies like that, because so often he plays a vicious louse, and then on Thrones he's the last decent man in Westeros.
Old 09-04-2016, 09:13 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

They cast Jim fucking Broadbent for the next season of this. It's hard to guess at casting at this point (probably the most obvious guess at this point would be Marwyn or some other Oldtown maester???), but I hope he has something more to do than give a speech and get immediately killed. Whatever he ends up doing, it will be a delight.

Tags
boob of boobs , da king inna norf , hbo , hodor , meanwhile in dorne , ours is the fury , stupid sexy jorah , television , the north remembers , tits and dragons , wincest , you know nothing