The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about food

Old 01-20-2010, 01:38 PM
I am being eaten?

Default The Beer Thread

I love talking and reading about beer (mostly reading), and I saw a bit of it going on in another thread. So I figured we could go for an official topic for discussion.

Back in the other thread, there was a lot of back and forth about Pabst Blue Ribbon. I'm not a big fan of PBR, not because of who may or may not drink it. I've honestly never been able to finish a can of it, and only finished one bottle because it was paid for by a friend. I might have to sit down with one one more time to figure out what about it I don't like.

I'll have to add another vote for Yuengling as a favorite cheap sud. Another cheap, but local favorite of mine is Genesee Cream Ale. There's at least one liquor store in Maryland that sells it, and there's always a case in the house. I know a lot of people who think I'm insane for liking Genny Cream, so I've learned to not be so quick to judge everyone's taste in beer.

I guess I'll wrap it up with some favorite imports and Microbrews, a few of which I know other TT'ers enjoy.

New Belgium 1554 ale
Most of Dogfishhead's lineup
Brewer's Art Resurrection
Hoegaarden
Sam Adam's Scotch Ale
Lancaster Dairy Stout
Most of Troeg's brewery's output
Old 01-20-2010, 01:40 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by taidan View Post
I love talking and reading about beer (mostly reading), and I saw a bit of it going on in another thread. So I figured we could go for an official topic for discussion.

Back in the other thread, there was a lot of back and forth about Pabst Blue Ribbon. I'm not a big fan of PBR, not because of who may or may not drink it. I've honestly never been able to finish a can of it, and only finished one bottle because it was paid for by a friend. I might have to sit down with one one more time to figure out what about it I don't like.

I'll have to add another vote for Yuengling as a favorite cheap sud. Another cheap, but local favorite of mine is Genesee Cream Ale. There's at least one liquor store in Maryland that sells it, and there's always a case in the house. I know a lot of people who think I'm insane for liking Genny Cream, so I've learned to not be so quick to judge everyone's taste in beer.

I guess I'll wrap it up with some favorite imports and Microbrews, a few of which I know other TT'ers enjoy.

New Belgium 1554 ale
Hoegaarden
Sam Adam's Scotch Ale
Lancaster Dairy Stout
Hey! My thread came first!
Old 01-20-2010, 01:41 PM
I am being eaten?

Son of a... bad timing. Feel free to toast this one and use Falselogic's.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:03 PM
For blood and gold

I kind of like that this one is just for beer and the other one is for any alcoholic beverages.

Just like we had a scotch thread, sometimes you really need to go into detail on a beverage, especially when it's as great as beer.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:06 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Quote:
Originally Posted by taidan View Post

New Belgium 1554 ale
Hoegaarden
Sam Adam's Scotch Ale
Lancaster Dairy Stout
You're a good man!
Old 01-20-2010, 02:07 PM
Goodbye!

I spent the holidays drinking Propeller Brewery's Bitter in Nova Scotia. It was a wonderful time.

It pains me that it is no longer readily available. I crave hops so badly sometimes, and there are so few to be had in St. John's. SO FEW.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:33 PM
Brain Boiled in Anthrax

Agreed, beer deserves it's own thread.

I drink almost exclusively hoppy beers, particularly IPAs and American Imperial (Double) IPA. I just bought a case of the seasonal Bell's Hopslam, which is one of my favorite beers.

Some other favorites:

Lagunitas (Maximus, Hop Stoopid)
Dogfish Head 60/90 Minute (haven't had a chance to try the 120 Minute yet)
Bell's Brewery in general (Oberon, Two-Hearted, Expedition Stout, Hopslam, etc)
Surly Brewing (Furious, Coffee Bender...my favorite coffee beer)
Avery Brewing (Samael, The Beast)

In a pinch at places with lesser beer selections I enjoy Guinness and prefer a Half & Half (Guinness/Harp) to a Black & Tan (Guinness/Bass).

I've always liked, if not loved, a good wheat beer. I was at Oktoberfest in 2009 (and am seriously considering going back for the 300th anniversary in 2010), and the Germans have literally perfected the craft. I hit up 4 of the tents of classic Munich breweries (Paulaner, Hofbräu, Augustiner, and Löwenbräu). I also went to the Hofbräuhaus and Augustiner Bräu brewhouses later. Really amazing beer and experience.

The midwest in particular, and Minneapolis area specifically, has an extraordinary craft beer scene. There are a good number of great brew pubs that produce extremely good beer. For those in the area, Barley John's and Town Hall Brewery are two favorites. I attend the Autumn Brew Review annually, it's always one of the highlights of my year.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:38 PM
Super Solver

The only mass-produced beer I've ever had is PBR. I've only had small, local micro-brewery stuff. I don't think I'll ever get a taste for it.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:45 PM
REFRIGERATOR STAY EMPTY

I'm not enough of a beer guy* to have a long list of favorites, but I can say without much doubt that the best beer I've ever had is Desolation IPA from the Amnesia brewpub in Portland. It can't be found outside of that one pub, as far as I know, which makes me feel a tremendous angst.

Off the top of my head, a few others that have impressed me: Rogue Dead Guy, Three Floyds Alpha King, Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold, Magic Hat No. 9, Lagunitas IPA.

*This apparently won't stop me from brewing my own, though. I already acquired the supplies.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:50 PM
Minnesota Nice

Ah, a fellow homebrewer! I think this thread will work out well, as it can also provide a place to exchange recipes! I've recently made a Brown Sugar Stout that gets more excellent with age, and an Oatmeal Scotch Ale that is amazingly smooth with a hint of smokiness at the end from smoked malts used in the wort. Currently bottle conditioning is a Belgian Dark Ale, while I have an Irish Red in the primary fermenter. It's not bubbling as much as I'd like though...I hope it's okay...
Old 01-20-2010, 02:58 PM
Curious Young Gent

I drink a lot of crap tap lagers out of necessity, but hrmm. I really enjoyed the local beer in northern Yunnan, Dali. That stuff was great, but kinda hard to obtain elsewhere. The standard Chinese lager Qingdao/Tsingtao is pretty easy to find over here, and is pretty good.
Had some Bali Hai (a Balinese/Indonesian beer) recently, too. It was excellent! That, and some Southern English blonde beer, one of the Adnams varieties as I recall.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:10 PM
Terrible confusion

I don't think anyone answered my question in discussion that spawned this thread:

If I want to try a good Japanese beer, what should it be?
Old 01-20-2010, 03:12 PM
Brain Boiled in Anthrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergasa View Post
I'd answer but I can't stand rice beer.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:14 PM
Sudden chomper

90% of the beer that I drink comes from Quebec (the rest is usually Leffe Brune). There are a ton of microbreweries here, and while most of them aren't great, the ones that are good are really very good. I'm a huge supporter of McAuslin and I think that their St-Ambroise Pale Ale is pretty much the best everyday beer you can get. They also do a nice Apricot Wheat Ale for those hot summer days, and their stout is supposed to be fantastic (I'm not a stout fan, so I can't really speak to its quality). The other good brewery in Montreal is Dieu du Ciel, whose Fumisterie is a hemp beer that is very interesting without tasting gimmicky.

Oh, and if you like IPAs and are ever in Montreal, get me to take you to a place that serves Hopfenstark's Post Coloniale. So good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergasa View Post
I don't think anyone answered my question in discussion that spawned this thread:

Domestic Japanese beer? What does that mean, something that's actually from Japan, or something that you can get domestically? 'Cause I'm pretty sure the latter doesn't exist.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:16 PM
Curious Young Gent

Isn't Kirin Ichiban a Japanese beer that you can get basically everywhere? Certainly I've not had trouble laying my hands on some in a couple of European countries (including the UK) and in China.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:18 PM
REFRIGERATOR STAY EMPTY

Beerlao from Laos is surprisingly good.

Kirin is a Japanese brewery, but I'm pretty sure Ichiban is export-only, and it may even be US-made.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:21 PM
Sudden chomper

I've never seen any Kirin beer around here, the only options that you get in this town are Sapporo and Asahi. The former I can't recall ever seeing while I was in Japan, but I suppose the latter might be OK. I was never particularly drawn to Asahi, so I didn't drink it very often in Japan and consequently don't have much of an opinion on it.

I neglected to mention in my earlier post that there are some English beers that I quite enjoy drinking every now and again. Old Speckled Hen and Fuller's ESB are probably my two favorites at the moment, although I would love to go to England and get properly educated on the subject.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:23 PM

I swear I only like dark beer... with hot strudels flavored with apple sauce.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:26 PM
Minnesota Nice

In my personal experience, and I have only tried Japanese beers here in the States, they all taste very samey. Sapporo, Kirin, and Asahi, doesn't matter. Light-bodied, with a clean and crisp "beer" taste. It really isn't too different from American mass-produced lagers, which also use corn and rice as adjunct's in the brewing process.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:35 PM
Curious Young Gent

Quote:
Originally Posted by destro713 View Post
Beerlao from Laos is surprisingly good.
It's about as ubiquitous as Qingdao, too. You can pretty much tell which students at my university took a gap year before coming by who owns a Beerlao T-Shirt (damn everyone bar me going to South East Asia).
Old 01-20-2010, 04:02 PM
is Earnest

I had a Hopslam last night. It was delicious... and quite alcoholic.

I love beer. Usually I'd prefer to have 2 or 3 good beers and call it a night, sometimes I'll go for cheap beers and just get wasted. Although I'm very picky when it comes to hard stuff, I've never met a beer I didn't like.

My love of beer started when I was in college, and a few of my friends would regularly go to Goose Island's Clybourn Brew Pub. My favorite beer is probably their Imperial Pale Ale.

I wish I had checked this thread earlier, but I'm heading out from work. I have a lot more to say about drinking and microbrewing and homebrewing, but that's going to have to wait till later. Good thread!
Old 01-20-2010, 04:08 PM
clean cut

Although best in the summer, I am on a big Heffeweizen kick for that last couple of years. Love that stuff. Lots of breweries are making their own version lately and it gives me lots to try! Sure, it's kind of a wimpy beer, but I don't care.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:19 PM

Dark, stout, bitter. Lagers are alright on a summer afternoon but other than that, no thanks.

re: Kirin: yeah, Kirin you buy in the US is US-made. I expect whatever you buy in Canada is also US-made (California, to be exact). In a year of college drinking, I never saw/heard someone order a Kirin in Japan. When you're out, it's usually Sapporo, sometimes Asahi. If you're buying for home or a party, it's Asahi.

I keep thinking about starting homebrewing but it's intimidating and also I just don't think I'd drink that much to make it worth it, it'd have to be some kind of really small batch.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:34 PM
and ermine, too

I love stouts, belgians, IPAs, but that's pretty typical beer nerd stuff. But since I doubt anyone will bring it up, I actually like Magic Hat #9. The apricot actually works for me.

I express this with surprise, because I have never met someone who shares this opinion, beer snob or otherwise.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:56 PM
Minnesota Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunix View Post
I keep thinking about starting homebrewing but it's intimidating and also I just don't think I'd drink that much to make it worth it, it'd have to be some kind of really small batch.
Small batches, you say?

I am sure other places offer kits that let you make just a gallon, but this is the only one I am aware of. A standard kit will make 5 gallons, or ~48-52 bottles. Personally, I do it with a friend and split what we make. Then I end up giving away a bunch cause I want people to try it. So really, 5 gallons goes before you know it.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StriderDL View Post
Small batches, you say?

I am sure other places offer kits that let you make just a gallon, but this is the only one I am aware of. A standard kit will make 5 gallons, or ~48-52 bottles. Personally, I do it with a friend and split what we make. Then I end up giving away a bunch cause I want people to try it. So really, 5 gallons goes before you know it.
Hey, that's pretty good. Thanks for the tip, I may pick that up and try it out.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:07 PM
A Dream Beneath the Sun

Beer is the best. I'll jump on the New Belgium bandwagon as well, can't recall a single beer of theirs that I didn't like, plus they do a crazy bike tour through Boise (and other places) that is a ton of fun. I like pretty much everything except for American style lagers (Coors/Bud/Miller) but I generally stick with Amber Ales or IPAs.

We have a local brewery here that is fantastic and I get almost all of my beer there fresh in growlers, although sometimes I'll stock Sam Adams bottles for a party or for backup. I like pretty much any style of Winter seasonal beer.

So in summary; hooray beer!
Old 01-20-2010, 05:12 PM
REFRIGERATOR STAY EMPTY

The other night I got a little bit lightheaded from one single New Belgium 2 Below. 6.6 is a strong beer when you've skipped a meal on account of watching 30 Rock all day.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:17 PM
Minnesota Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunix View Post
Hey, that's pretty good. Thanks for the tip, I may pick that up and try it out.
Anytime! I am something of a homebrew missionary. There is nothing better than fresh beer, and the fact that you made it yourself makes it that much sweeter. Or bitter. Whatever.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:19 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

I like a good Peroni every now and again though they're not very easy to find around here (outside of good Italian restaurants.) It's a crisp pale lager with a clean finish

Tags
alcohol , beer , beverages , bitter is better , top of the hops , your favorite beer sucks