The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 11-18-2009, 10:42 AM
Family Man

Default Cartoons kick Ass!: The Definitive Animation Thread

I got the idea to start this thread after reading Parish's post about how American's hate traditional animation and how sad that made me. I love traditional animation and so does Talking Time so this thread is a place where you can discuss your love of the artform, cultural differences between North American, Japanese and European or any other region, comics you wish would be made into animated series or movies(coughUmbrellaAcademycough), how great the DCAU is, the (in my opinion) sad state of anime or anything else! But remember the rules...

No 3D animation. we all know that Pixar is the undisputed master of that style.

Keep any pics or links safe for TT.

Be courteous

Be kind

Be naughty!
Old 11-18-2009, 10:58 AM
Renegade Game Councelor

The DCAU was awesome and I miss it. Brave and the Bold is pretty cool, but I'm talking the old Bruce Timm/Paul Dini stuff.

Avatar: The Last Airbender is also terrific, and I'm not going to talk about the upcoming M. Night Shyamalan movie because that doesn't belong here!
Old 11-18-2009, 11:14 AM
Kinda like rap noise-pop

I need to buy the DVD of Persepolis at some point. They did such a fantastic job of bringing Marjane Satrapi's comic to life.

Ive also got The Girl Who Leapt Through Time sitting unopened on my DVD shelf. I should probably watch it this weekend.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:50 AM
I say thee neigh

I don't think America hates traditional animation as much as they don't take it seriously

Well, except for these punk ass little kids who have been raised exclusively on CG, but fuck those little bastards they should all be burnt in a giant furnace anyway
Old 11-18-2009, 11:54 AM
I say thee neigh

Also, any time someone talks to me about how they think Tim and Eric is funny, I want to chew their face off because they've reminded me that it got picked up (NOW ENTERING IT'S FIFTH SEASON) instead of Korgoth

i think i may be breaking the "be courteous" rule at this point
Old 11-18-2009, 12:01 PM
A No.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.R. Bigman View Post
No 3D animation. we all know that Pixar is the undisputed master of that style.
I think Pixar's greatness has less to do with mastery of the third dimension (though there's that, too) and more because they're the only guys that get exactly why the old greats have stood the test of time the way they have.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:22 PM
World of Darkness Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by onimaruxlr View Post
Also, any time someone talks to me about how they think Tim and Eric is funny, I want to chew their face off because they've reminded me that it got picked up (NOW ENTERING IT'S FIFTH SEASON) instead of Korgoth
Oh man, I'd forgotten about that pilot. So much better than what we got stuck with.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:25 PM
100% All Original

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJR View Post
I need to buy the DVD of Persepolis at some point. They did such a fantastic job of bringing Marjane Satrapi's comic to life.

Ive also got The Girl Who Leapt Through Time sitting unopened on my DVD shelf. I should probably watch it this weekend.
I should also do the former, and you should definitely do the latter.

Me, I just bought Giant Robo (which I've never seen) and Visions of Escaflowne (which I have) on Amazon, and I am excited to watch them both.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:28 PM
I say thee neigh

Since I've already stomped over the premise of this thread with my surly attitude, I just wanna say that that Dreamworks flick about Dragons by the Lilo and Stitch guy looks surpriringly good. Although I imagine a lot of people are gonna complain about the pimply Napoleon Dynamite/Michael Cera sorta exasperated dork performance of the main character.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:39 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

So this is...about cartoons I guess? Well, it is my God given duty to post in any/all cartoon threads that Rocko's Modern Life is the greatest thing ever. But I think everyone knows that.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:55 PM
23 ski-dook

Rocko is excellent, but Flapjack is incredible.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:22 PM
I say thee neigh

Flapjack is good but Chowder's technical prowess always impressed me more
Old 11-18-2009, 02:13 PM

I want to go on record as saying I lurve The Iron Giant, and I don't care who else knows it. SUUUUUPPPPPPEEERRRRRMAAAAAAAAAN!

Oh and I bought Donald Duck in Mathmagic Land when it was released on DVD a couple of months ago.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:28 PM
Family Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
So this is...about cartoons I guess? Well, it is my God given duty to post in any/all cartoon threads that Rocko's Modern Life is the greatest thing ever. But I think everyone knows that.
Now we're getting somewhere!
Old 11-18-2009, 02:29 PM
Hi

The first few series of Nicktoons were better than they had to be. Even though Doug doesn't necessarily hold up to grown-up tastes, it was the perfect cartoon for awkward adolescents (which I'm guessing quite a number of us once were). Even the first seasons of Rugrats were occasionally subversive and clever. It had Mark Mothersbaugh from Devo doing the music (and including subliminal messages like Question Authority, apparently).
Old 11-18-2009, 02:32 PM

Chowder and Flapjack are probably the only great new American cartoons on air right now. I love them both to death, and it saddens me that so many Flapjack fans don't seem to be able to fully appreciate Chowder as well.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:36 PM
Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingmar Bergman View Post
Chowder and Flapjack are probably the only great new American cartoons on air right now. I love them both to death, and it saddens me that so many Flapjack fans don't seem to be able to fully appreciate Chowder as well.
It's funny how good those two are while the rest of the network is in such dire condition, with reality shows and imported cartoon reality shows...
Old 11-18-2009, 02:42 PM
Family Man

Speaking of good Nicktoons, have any of you guys ever seen My Life As A Teenage Robot? It's a cool show from about five years back about a robot superhero named Jenny and is a cool mix of action and humor, all in a great retro art style.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:42 PM
I like Starman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingmar Bergman View Post
I'm really out of the loop. I've been watching all manner of cartoons since I was young (Scooby-Doo reruns, Warner/Disney shorts), slightly older (most things of note from mid to late 80s), even older (Disney half our shows/B:TAS/Marvel shows/Nicktoons in the early 90s) up about when high school ended/college started (Cartoon Network shows), but honestly haven't watched anything "new" since Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:59 PM
23 ski-dook

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFink View Post
I want to go on record as saying I lurve The Iron Giant, and I don't care who else knows it.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with loving that movie.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:17 PM
Orb Friend

This is my kind of thread! People mentioned a lot of good stuff already, too!

I have a lifelong obsession with & love for traditional animation, and will go on about it at the drop of a hat. The old Nicktoons, Batman: The Animated Series, other Timm works, Chuck Jones, old Disney, Persepolis, The Iron Giant, et cetera. I love what I've seen of both Chowder and Flapjack, they're made by people who really love animation as an artform and the things you can do with it. Let's not forget The Venture Brothers, either! They put a lot of effort into their character designs & animation, which adds a lot to the greatness.

One of my big loves is for the less-than-perfect lesser known/almost-cult animated films, too. The old Rankin-Bass 2D films, for instance. The George Lucas-produced Twice Upon A Time. Rock & Rule! And as much as I hate Ralph Bakshi in general, his best film is American Pop and it's the one work of his that I have great affection for.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:35 PM
Banned

This thread got me thinking about the state of 2-D animation these days, and I realized that I'm feeling pretty positive about it (Bungle being positive about stuff? UNPOSSIBLE). Let's take an inventory of current events here:

American Film

We've got Disney becoming a 2-D house again, under the watch of John Lasseter, starting with a film made by the guys behind Aladdin, The Little Mermaid and The Great Mouse Detective, who are being backed by a dream team of animators that they hand-picked themselves. Whether or not the film turns out to be great, its existence is a Good Thing. Lasseter is also pushing Disney to move forward creatively instead of just treading water with the same old routine they've been running for so long, and this is also Good.

American Television

We've already had mention of some good recent stuff here, like Chowder and Flapjack, plus Avatar, which I haven't seen, and Brave and the Bold, which is fun. Then we have AS doing their thing with great shows like The Venture Bros. and Metalocalypse. It is a shame about Korgoth though.

American Independent

Sita Sings the Blues was so amazing, Talking Time. There really is no excuse to not watch it.

French Film

This isn't a category that I know much about, but they gave us The Triplets of Belleville not long ago and Persepolis even more recently. That's good stuff.

Japanese Film

Summer Wars came out this, uh, summer, and I know that will be fun times (it's from the same guy who directed The Girl Who Leapt Through Time), Miyazaki is working on a new film, Kon is working on a new film, Production I.G. is working on the Eden of the East films, Gainax is working on the new Evangelion films and just put out the Gurren Lagann films, Satelight is working on the Macross Frontier films, Kyoto Animation is working on their first film (at least the first one released specifically by their studio), 4C is possibly working on a Berserk film, and has otherwise been doing their thing with anthologies and Tekkon Kinkreet and such, the new One Piece film was written by the manga author himself and should be ridiculous entertainment, and...that's all I've got on the top of my head at the moment.

Hey, I made it through a post about recent anime films without mentioning Mind Game! Good for me!

Oh wait.

(You should really watch Mind Game.)

Japanese Television

If films turned up an entry that long, television would take pages, so I'm just going to bring up the things that I enjoyed in 2009 alone.

This year, we had (prepare yourselves)...

Aoi Hana telling a romance story with relationships that actually went places, Bakemonogatari having Shaft finally put their schizophrenic multimedia antics to work on a show that told some sort of story (I wasn't a big fan of the show, but Shaft's visual style is really interesting and their biggest weakness is that they don't actually tell stories most of the time), Beast Player Erin being the kind of series that people like to tell you nobody makes anymore, Cross Game telling a Mitsuru Adachi story (which is all I should have to say about it), Dragonball Kai taking all of the good parts of DBZ and removing all the bad ones, Eden of the East not necessarily living up to its ambitions but still trying to tell a complicated story geared toward more adult audiences (we're seeing more anime series aimed at college/adult age audiences nowadays, in fact), Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood getting off to a rocky start before falling into its rhythm and eventually exceeding its predecessor in terms of storytelling quality, Hajime no Ippo being one of the most intense and entertaining sports anime ever produced, K-On! combining the fun of being in a rock band with your friends with a large amount of intense cuteness, Kimi ni Todoke being a fairly standard girl's drama but doing it right, Maria-sama ga Miteru continuing to prove that elegant tea parties are the height of exciting storytelling (or, in truth, continuing to prove that all great stories are about characters above all else), Mazinger Z going totally crazy with lots of old-school robots and yelling, Nodame Cantablie continuing to be a wonderful tale of music, love, ambition, and finding one's place in the world, Saki making mahjong into the most interesting thing in the universe, Sengoku Basara being big, stupid fun, Spice and Wolf bringing excitement and drama to economics of all things, Taishou Yakyuu Musume being the anime version of A League of Their Own, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 showing us people surviving the aftermath of a catastrophic earthquake, Trapeze combining photographs, film, cardboard cutouts, horrible pastel colors and all manner of other visual trickery into an endlessly weird show about people with various mental disorders, and probably a few other things that I'm forgetting as well.

...yup.

Japanese Independent

La Maison en Petites Cubes was brilliant and won a freaking Oscar.

Cencoroll was interesting but not as ground-breaking as the reviewers will tell you. Still cool though.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:44 PM
Little Waves

The definitive animation for the definitive animation thread.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:02 PM
Orb Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi View Post
Yessss. Such beautiful animation. And it always breaks my goddamn heart to think about. Much as I loved Aladdin as a kid now all I can think of when I see Genie and Jafar is Zigzag and it makes me so sad. I saw the "official" finished commercial version of TT&TC last year and it was a freakin' travesty.

Richard Williams is an animation god. Nobody else seems to have such a clear eye for spatial awareness and silk-smooth intricacy as him.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:18 PM
Family Man

I remember months ago watching the "recobbled" version on youtube via a link from TT back in my lurker days. That is some of the most strikingly beautiful animation in history, and all without computers! Why don't I remember this movie from when I was a kid?
Old 11-18-2009, 04:31 PM
Orb Friend

The long sad story's on Wikipedia and elsewhere, but basically because it got taken away from Williams and butchered, and what was finally released was so bad outside of a few lingering pieces of animation that it quickly faded into obscurity.

I actually remember seeing a trailer for Cobbler on TV as a little kid! Even that young I remember pausing and being amazed at how beautiful the animation was.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:32 PM
Little Waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheana View Post
The long sad story's on Wikipedia and elsewhere, but basically because it got taken away from Williams and butchered, and what was finally released was so bad outside of a few lingering pieces of animation that it quickly faded into obscurity.
The worst thing I read was that critics slammed it for ripping off Aladdin.

agh
Old 11-18-2009, 04:33 PM
Kinda like rap noise-pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFink View Post
I want to go on record as saying I lurve The Iron Giant, and I don't care who else knows it.
I finally got my girlfriend to watch The Iron Giant last week.

She loved it.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:38 PM
out of how many points?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi View Post
That film is wonderful. I love Vincent Price's voice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_bungle700 View Post
The Triplets of Belleville
Sylvain Chomet (who directed Belleville) is currently working on an animated film entitled The Illusionist. I am very much looking forward to this as it is based on an unproduced script by my favorite French film director, Jacques Tati (everyone should see Tati's Playtime btw). Chomet is pretty much the perfect person for this as Belleville shares many aspects of Tati's style and sense of humor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_bungle700 View Post
Japanese Film
One of the best animated films I've seen in the last couple years is Koji Yamamura's short film adaptation of Franz Kafka's A Country Doctor. It is surreal, intense and beautifully animated in a style all its own. It is a very close adaptation of what is perhaps Kafka's oddest story.

The whole thing can be seen on this youtube playlist. Sadly there is no American release of the film.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:04 PM
Orb Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravinoff View Post
Sylvain Chomet (who directed Belleville) is currently working on an animated film entitled The Illusionist. I am very much looking forward to this as it is based on an unproduced script by my favorite French film director, Jacques Tati (everyone should see Tati's Playtime btw). Chomet is pretty much the perfect person for this as Belleville shares many aspects of Tati's style and sense of humor.
Oh yeah? I remember after Triplets came out I was talking with an animation-loving fellow-artist friend, and him saying that the next animated film by those guys was set during WWII or something and was about a veterinarian and animals. Guess that's on hold or got replaced by this?

Tags
animation , anime , cartoons , disney afternoon , fear of new threads , funny pictures , mickey , no animes allowed , real ghostbusters