The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 03-02-2017, 09:35 AM
100% All Original

I've only read A Christmas Carol and A Tale of Two Cities, but I love both of them.

I JUST read Small Great Things, which was also great.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:22 AM
We just don't know.

I finished Sleeping Giants and I keep looking at Mason & Dixon and I have basically no interest in re-starting it. This is why I don't read more than one book at a time. On the other hand, I guess I'm free of 4 more months of slogging through a dense novel I'm not enjoying that much.

Against the Day was one of my absolute favorite books ever. It pulled me excitedly through every last one of its ~1200 ridiculously dense pages. And I've been chasing that since, but the only Pynchon book that came close to being as interesting to me was The Crying of Lot 49. Well, Inherent Vice was also interesting and fun, but in a different way. Gravity's Rainbow, I barely got 150 pages in before realizing I was just not having it. Mason & Dixon was pretty good for the first half but then I just started getting bored? It felt like it wasn't going anywhere new or intriguing, even with the America commentary. Maybe AtD is just one of those cocktails of stuff that intrigued me from every angle. Victorian Airship Adventure Pulp; The science of light; Alternate realities/universes; labor/anarchy/WWI history; and some math. And it was so densely interwoven, jumping back and forth, and each bit so interesting, that I never had a chance to get bored.

I might try again. I have V on my shelf but I'm wary of it. But Bleeding Edge is fairly recent and sounds different enough to give a shot? Maybe?

In the meantime, I'll work through my shelf again. I've gotten tired of having 0 books read per month because I've been working on one long one. :|

Started poking at Medieval Wrestling, Jess Finley's book on Ringen, mainly Ott Jud's manuscript. I took an intensive from Jess when I went to vancouver for the International Swordplay Symposium and it was amazing; got me really Hype to learn more ringen. Now just to get everyone else on my level. *stares forlornly at Ringen jacket...*
Old 03-03-2017, 11:34 AM
The metal babble flees!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
I've gotten tired of having 0 books read per month because I've been working on one long one. :|
I'm a slow reader and boy do I feel this when the current read is over 600 pages long (I'm also somebody who can't fruitfully read more than one book at a time). Once I'm done with the big book I'll roll through some GNs, or something that's less than 250 pages long, or a YA...
Old 03-03-2017, 11:45 AM
Video Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosewood View Post
I'm a slow reader and boy do I feel this when the current read is over 600 pages long (I'm also somebody who can't fruitfully read more than one book at a time). Once I'm done with the big book I'll roll through some GNs, or something that's less than 250 pages long, or a YA...
Yeah I get this feel sometimes.

Sometimes I appoint myself a book and lay on a pressure to finish it before I can read anything else, and I end up spending months reading something like Mistress of Mistresses that is ultimately rewarding but I have to work hard to enjoy it.

Similar with my recent read of Dracula (started in October), but that was broken up with Ancillary Justice.

Currently reading some Clark Ashton Smith (right now, Vulthoom) short stories before I decide what my next big read will be.
Old 03-04-2017, 06:02 PM
ahm margaret wartahm

Devoured The Fifth Season and The Obelisk Gate over the past two days. So good! What the fuck. Books! (I don't read enough)

My favorite thing is all these fantasy weirdos being like, "oh, I'm so coy and mysterious, I'll never tell you what my deal is... oh fine, twist my arm why don't you!!" I love it. Helps that NK Jemisin isn't trying to extend this series indefinitely; things are happening. Gonna read her other works now.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:43 PM
Evocative

Quote:

I might try again. I have V on my shelf but I'm wary of it. But Bleeding Edge is fairly recent and sounds different enough to give a shot? Maybe?
V. is much more accessible than Gravity's Rainbow. Bleeding Edge is more accessible than either, and makes jokes that play well on this board. There's a line about Hideo Kojima and auteur theory!
Old 03-05-2017, 04:15 AM
Programmed to Jingle

Finished The Bloody Red Baron, that posits what would have happened if the First World War was explicitly Count Draculas fault, and if Manfred VonnRichtenstein was a Castlevania boss. It didn't grab me quite as thoroughly as the last two Kim Newman books I read but I still had a blast. And one of the main characters was Vampire Lois Lane. So that was great. Also; cameos From The Shadow and Snoopy!

There was also a shorter novella included with this version that was both an Agatha Christie and Nancy Drew mystery. That was amazing!

Totally unsure if that one had a Vampire Hunter D reference, though.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:42 AM
Blue Comet

This could go into the Politics thread as well, but I just finished Yale historian Timothy D. Snyder's "On Tyranny." This small book--small enough to fit in your coat pocket--is an expansion of a facebook post Dr. Snyder made about 20 things we can do to oppose Trump, inspired by how people in the past resisted Hitler and the Communists.

It was definitely well worth its price. Even if you don't know much about European history (Snyder's specialty), a layman's understanding of World War II and the Cold War is sufficient. He expands on each of the original 20 points with specific examples from those time periods and clarifies his recommendations for resistance with longer explanations of what to do and why to do it. I found his suggestions as well-taken as they had been when they were originally made (in the aftermath of Trumpy's victory), though I thought a couple of his points (such as the exhortation to "defend institutions" could have been a little more clear). But overall, it's an excellent short read, and one that can be, and should be, easily shared. This book will likely be the first of many about practically resisting fascism in America--I hope Dr. Snyder's successors are as perceptive and sensitive as he is.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:47 AM

A Head Full of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay
Old 03-07-2017, 05:01 AM
Out Of Warranty

For some reason I had never managed to read The Man In The High Castle. I loaded it in my Kindle and took it to my vacations, and I ended up finishing it in a plane between Japan and Germany. The irony is not lost in me.

It was good! Not the best PKD novel, but it was a solid read, and the characters were well rounded with very distinctive voices. I love the way PKD uses stream-of-conscience in the prose to tell us how the POV character thinks - and how the Quisling salesman tries to think as the japanese and fails, and end ups resenting them.

What saddens me are all the two and one star reviews in Amazon. I get that this book is not for everyone, but the number of reviews that are just "it goes nowhere" and "it's slow" and "nothing happens" and "lacks an ending" is depressing. Instant gratification really has hurt our appreciation of the classics.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:19 AM
Blue Comet

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterthes View Post
A Head Full of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay
Oh, I read that a while ago! I rather enjoyed it. The ambiguity present in the work, along with some of tremblay's other books, such as Devil's Rock, it's part of the appeal for me.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:39 AM
Programmed to Jingle

Started reading Babylons Ashes.

Boy is this some fun escapism.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:34 AM
Merry Christmas, Ma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendrick View Post
Oh, I read that a while ago! I rather enjoyed it. The ambiguity present in the work, along with some of tremblay's other books, such as Devil's Rock, it's part of the appeal for me.
A Head Full of Ghosts is an unsettling work on many levels. I love it.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:03 AM
Video Monster

God is Red by Vine Deloria Jr.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:38 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Nixonland by Rick Perlstein: The second in a series on the rise of the conservative Right in the USA - Before the Storm and the Invisible Bridge are the other two- This book does a fantastic job of providing a lot of context around where the right came from and why.

Shockingly relevant to today despite detailing events that are 50 years in the past.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:30 PM

East of Eden by John Steinbeck
Old 03-08-2017, 05:26 AM
Thanks for noticing me

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterthes View Post
East of Eden by John Steinbeck
I read this in high school, don't remember a lot of specifics but I enjoyed it.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:09 PM
Dinger!

East of Eden has one of my favourite final lines in literature.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:02 AM
Out Of Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karzac View Post
East of Eden has one of my favourite final lines in literature.

I assume it's not "Truly, we're living east of Eden"?

Meanwhile, I've started The Lost Colony by John Scalzi. I'm in the mood for some space opera.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:14 PM
Overwhelmed by Absurdity

I just started reading Sharpe's Tiger my first book in Bernard Cornwell's long running Sharpe series. And already Obadiah Hakeswill seems like a tremendous villain. I might just get caught up in this whole series of books like I did with the zillion Aubrey/Maturin books by Patrick O'Brian.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meditative_Zebra View Post
I just started reading Sharpe's Tiger my first book in Bernard Cornwell's long running Sharpe series. And already Obadiah Hakeswill seems like a tremendous villain. I might just get caught up in this whole series of books like I did with the zillion Aubrey/Maturin books by Patrick O'Brian.
Quite likely, and then you'll want to watch the movies. They've got a fantastic cast, especially for Sharpe and Obadiah.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:06 PM
Overwhelmed by Absurdity

Sean Bean and Pete Postlethwaite are pretty great and seem like good fits for the characters. I think I'm already sold. I'll have to check if Netflix/Amazon Prime/public library have it available.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:56 PM
We just don't know.

Started up A Natural History of Dragons by Marie Brennan and I kind of like it a whole lot?
Old 03-10-2017, 09:43 PM
Oily Butt Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meditative_Zebra View Post
Sean Bean and Pete Postlethwaite are pretty great and seem like good fits for the characters. I think I'm already sold. I'll have to check if Netflix/Amazon Prime/public library have it available.
It's been years since I watched the early ones but I thought Brian Cox stole the show as Major Hogan.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:26 AM
Overwhelmed by Absurdity

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
It's been years since I watched the early ones but I thought Brian Cox stole the show as Major Hogan.
Brian Cox was awesome as the duplicitous CIA bureaucrat in the Bourne movies. I can easily imagine him playing a similar sort of role in the Napoleonic era British army.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:37 AM
Out Of Warranty

Quote:
Started up A Natural History of Dragons by Marie Brennan and I kind of like it a whole lot?
I liked that book. I'm really looking forward to your impressions after you finish it.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:37 PM
Evocative

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugu13 View Post
Quite likely, and then you'll want to watch the movies. They've got a fantastic cast, especially for Sharpe and Obadiah.
Daniel Craig plays a villain in one episode. Sean Bean gets to win over 007 this time!
Old 03-13-2017, 01:58 PM

The Lovecraft Squad: All Hallows Horror by John Llewellyn Probert
Old 03-14-2017, 05:48 AM
Programmed to Jingle

Finished Babylons Ashes, which was probably my least favourite of The Expanse series. A sizeable percent of the reason for which being that a good chunk of it is based on Filip, whom I disliked terribly, and his very, very gradual realization that murdering ten billion people is bad.And his equally gradual realization that the guy who made his son murder ten billion people is a jerk. Though he didn't make that connection. He just realized he was a jerk for independent reasons.

On the other hand, one of the other viewpoint characters was the Polygamous Bisexual Queen of the Space Pirates so that's rad as hell. Actually, it kind of struck me that even though this is a series where Everything Is Always Bad Forever, Idealism is constantly punished, and at least three wars have started because of Space-Racism/Classism, the setting is super progressive.

That being said, kind of hope the next book goes back to focusing on the Cthulhu v. Cthulhu aspect of the story since I was waaaaay more invested in that.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:16 AM
ahm margaret wartahm

I didn't mind Filip, but I loathed the PBQotSP. She was an asshole with a bizarre moral compass who at no point seemed to have a problem with murdering 15 billion people. And then she became Space President. It strikes me as bizarre that the authors wanted people to like her... and some people did, clearly. At least Filip is just a piece of shit who's on the way to realizing that.

Tags
books , calorie mate reads this , fear of new threads , octo does not do research , reading time , take a look its in a book