The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 02-20-2017, 10:33 AM
#deadfish2017

He also fucked the robot.

There's a horse robot too but it hasn't said yet if he fucked it or not.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:50 AM
Remembers Love

I saw a lot of Xanth books floating around as a kid, but I thought they looked dumb. Granted, I also thought Discworld looked dumb, so what did I know?
Old 02-20-2017, 02:19 PM

If anything at least check out his Incantations of Immortality series where regular mortals become Gods. It's a pretty cool series
Old 02-20-2017, 04:05 PM
:O

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterthes View Post
If anything at least check out his Incantations of Immortality series where regular mortals become Gods. It's a pretty cool series
Is that the one where a dude bones a 13 y.o. then becomes God because Piers thinks he represents a more correct modern morality.
yes
Old 02-20-2017, 06:28 PM
Outraged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodal View Post
Is that the one where a dude bones a 13 y.o. then becomes God because Piers thinks he represents a more correct modern morality.
yes
I think God ends up being a lady in those books.

I definitely recall a scene in the devil one where a succubus bangs a priest but disappears at the last second so he spooges all over his stomach.

I couldn't have been older than 12 when I read these books.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:41 AM
It's all good, man

There were Xanth books in the school library. It's probably a good thing they never got popular enough for parents to figure out what they were.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:23 AM
The metal babble flees!

Mis-shelved library books--and ones just sitting out on the shelves at home--were the source of a number of pre-teen rude awakenings.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:36 AM
Programmed to Jingle

Finished Anno Dracula: 1899 and Other Stories, and it may well have been one of the best and most relentlessly creative collection of short-stories from a single author I've ever read. The only unifying theme between them is "Monsters are real, so now what?" And, despite that, none of them fall under the heading of "horror".

A War of the Worlds Martian goes Hollywood, Zombie Apocalypse in Soviet Russia, Nerdy Teen Hacks into an Ouija Board, the aforementioned Channel Frankenstein, Jack the Consulting Detective fights the Comics Code Authority...

If there was a dull story in the bunch it was buried deep under the waves of Pure Octo.

I know February is early to call it, but this might be my favourite book read this year.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:38 AM
Video Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Finished Anno Dracula: 1899 and Other Stories, and it may well have been one of the best and most relentlessly creative collection of short-stories from a single author I've ever read. The only unifying theme between them is "Monsters are real, so now what?" And, despite that, none of them fall under the heading of "horror".

A War of the Worlds Martian goes Hollywood, Zombie Apocalypse in Soviet Russia, Nerdy Teen Hacks into an Ouija Board, the aforementioned Channel Frankenstein, Jack the Consulting Detective fights the Comics Code Authority...

If there was a dull story in the bunch it was buried deep under the waves of Pure Octo.

I know February is early to call it, but this might be my favourite book read this year.
I haven't decided yet what I'm going to read after finishing Ancillary Justice (almost done), but this stuff is a very strong contender.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:18 PM
Programmed to Jingle

The first chapter of the actual sequel (The Bloody Red Baron) has The Shadow pop in for a cameo. The AD story in that collection also had Popeye the Sailor Man and Drusila from Buffy show up.

Guys, I really like this series.
Old 02-21-2017, 02:40 PM

The Child Thief by Brom
Old 02-21-2017, 03:06 PM
We just don't know.

Still pushing through Mason & Dixon, albeit somewhat half-heartedly lately. But I was stuck on a train without it at hand, so I used phone!kindle to start reading Sleeping Giants by Sylvain Neuvel.

The document/report/journal format kind of robs it of a bit of drama, but it manages not to feel too artificial in its narration. The characters are a bit clichéd but not too badly. But the concept so far is like crack to me. Finding gigantic pieces of an ancient sci-fi robot titan buried underground and trying to put it back together and figure out what it does and what it's for? YES FUCKING PLEASE. I devoured part 1, about 20% of the book. It seems to have started flagging juuuuust a little in part 2 so far, but I'm definitely still interesting.

Unfortunately, I realized too late it's part of a series, an incomplete one. I hate getting into incomplete series. :C Also, the name of the series may or may not constitute a spoiler for book 1, at least so far.

EDIT: Oh wait, apparently it's only a 2-book series, so the second book being out means that it's complete after all. Hurrah!

EDIT EDIT: Apparently the second book isn't actually out yet, but it comes out on April 4th, so not very long at all. ACCEPTABLE.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:10 PM
Video Monster

Stayed up entirely too late finishing Ancillary Justice. What a good book!

The emotion-removing drug that Seivarden is hooked on early in the novel to me feels almost like a pot shot at older sci-fi stories that tended to play up the "we must be the paragons of logic and never be weakened by emotion" angle. I like that.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:47 PM
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Shivam got me a (signed!) copy of Summerlong, by Peter S. Beagle. I just finished reading it. Phenomenal book, and highly recommended.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:42 PM
Evocative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
Still pushing through Mason & Dixon, albeit somewhat half-heartedly lately. But I was stuck on a train without it at hand, so I used phone!kindle to start reading Sleeping Giants by Sylvain Neuvel.
I've been thinking about reading this; I think you may have pushed me into giving it a try.

Just read - Chardin and Rembrandt - A short, somewhat confused, and unfinished essay by a 24-year-old would not normally be worth reading, much less buying, but when that 24-year-old is Proust, the equation changes. Minor, but glad I read it.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:38 PM
Blue Comet

I'm currently reading the latest edition of the Warhammer 40k rules. Playing a lot of Dawn of War and hanging out with Robbie MacNiven on Tumblr has given me a hankering for the grimdark, I guess

Last edited by Vendrick; 02-22-2017 at 09:51 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:12 PM
Remembers Love

I only intersect with 40K intermittently on /tg/. Are they in a full-tilt towards Age of the Emperor at this point?
Old 02-22-2017, 10:28 PM
Blue Comet

Possibly; one of the Primarchs came back at the very least, so more will probably show up soon. If they do, why wouldn't Big E follow?
Old 02-22-2017, 10:34 PM
Are You Sure About That?

My vague memories of 40k lore had him hovering between life and death for thousands of years on Earth?
Old 02-23-2017, 01:26 PM

The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah
Old 03-01-2017, 01:49 PM
Thanks for noticing me

Hey book-reading people!

I'm doing a project on Twitter where I'd like to share peoples' favorite books. My goal is to get enough to do one for every day of March. If you'd like to participate, tell me what your favorite books is, and, ideally, your Twitter handle if you have one.

Thanks!
Old 03-01-2017, 02:00 PM

Going back to some fantasy with Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb
Old 03-01-2017, 03:20 PM
The metal babble flees!

Brain is incapable of reading smart books right now (if it ever was), so Villette's on hold for now. How about some YA, brain? will that work?

Etiquette & Espionage: this is Gail Carriger's YA series set in the same universe as the Parasol Protectorate series. Just what it says on the tin, there. Steampunk fluff through and through.

Illuminae: about 1/3 of the way through this one. Space opera with intergalactic corporate warfare, a mutating virus and a romance. The presentation is fun, an epistolary-style thing with memos, intercepted chats, flyers, etc. telling the story.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:24 PM
Ruffian

Quote:
Originally Posted by juca View Post
Just finished Math Girls and it is an amazing book.
Just got a copy yesterday and I'm already halfway through it. I'm very much enjoying it!
Old 03-01-2017, 06:34 PM
This Guy

I've been reading the Pickwick Papers and it is killing my 2017 goal of reading all of the Charles Dickens novels I've never read before I even get started. It has some funny moments, but it is just a little too pointless. Social commentary doesn't always travel that well across two centuries. I do like the kind of Don Quixote and Sancho vibe it has going with Pickwick and Sam, though.

I also read Jeffrey Deaver's The Vanished Man. It was a Christmas gift, I asked for mysteries, but it is really not for me. I wanted Columbo, but this is CSI. And Deaver can't help himself from spoiling his own mystery every chance he can. Why have the villain's inner monologue gloat about his plan before the protagonists get fooled by it?
Old 03-01-2017, 06:37 PM
This way up

You could perhaps skip it on the grounds Orwell laid out in his essay on Dickens, namely that Pickwick is not actually a novel so much as a succession of sketches that never aspires to the level of "plot".
Old 03-01-2017, 06:44 PM
This Guy

That is very true, but it kind of defeats the idea of reading all the Dickens books to start picking and choosing. Also, I am close enough to the end now that it is a moot point. Still, it is the weakest of his I've read.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:45 PM
Video Monster

I don't know if I've ever met a person who enjoys reading Dickens. I think I might be in the wrong country for it.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:56 PM
This Guy

Really? Even though I haven't enjoyed Pickwick, as far as the classics go I've always found Dickens to be one of the most fun. I've only read about five of his books (the big ones: Oliver Twist, Christmas Carol, Tale of Two Cities, Great Expectations and I think I've read David Copperfield) but I've liked them.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:48 AM
Video Monster

Yep! People I've met always seem to be ready with "paid by the word" jokes when Dickens comes up, usually followed by some groaning about having to read him in school.

Just his writing, though. Movie adaptations of The Christmas Carol are sacrosanct, especially if they involve Kermit.

Tags
books , calorie mate reads this , fear of new threads , octo does not do research , reading time , take a look its in a book