The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 12-04-2008, 09:52 PM
stream monster

I want to pick up sandman mystery theatre.

Really badly.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:55 PM
Hawkguy

DC and Marvel need to stop it with this event shit.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:03 PM
It's all good, man

Stop buying them.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:03 PM
Kinda like rap noise-pop

I've never read a crossover event. I don’t ever intend to.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:57 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Fuck you Bendis, never write an event comic again. Never.
Fuck, people were saying that after House of M. He's good when it comes to talking heads, but he can't write action worth a damn (Daredevil), or when he does write it it takes far too long to get to far too weak a climax (his event books). He practically wrapped up all the big action beats off-panel; not that I'd ever encourage giving him MORE page space to fill up with blather, but there was a bunch of stuff that could've used more fleshing out. This one's actually closer to Avengers Disassembled, complete with the meaningless sacrifice of a long-time Avenger just to up the body count. At least Millar had the grace to kill off someone no one had heard from since the 70s to show Civil War was serious.

Marvel in general really has a problem with delivering satisfying finales to their big storylines, since they're always careening into the next one. I'll say this for DC: while I generally have issues with the set-ups of their big stories (hello, Infinite Changes of Direction At The Last Minute Crisis), they at least know how to end them on a note that makes you think "okay, I didn't agree with some of the stuff along the way, but it was worth the trip" (52 being the best example of that recently, but then again stacking Bendis or even Millar against the Waid / Johns / Morrison / Rucka / Giffen dream team is more than a little unfair).

Other weirdness since I just flipped through a copy again right now: I'm fairly sure none of Spidey, Wolverine, Cap or DD even said anything during the course of the entire issue. That's a... weird narrative choice...?

Quote:
I've never read a crossover event. I don’t ever intend to.
You pretty much have to read the original Crisis, if only to stare at so much George Perez art in one place. As I was mentioning the other day, DC One Million was also staggeringly good.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:06 PM
Condiment connoisseur

I miss when an event was actually an event. While the X-books had big crossovers for a while (X-Tinction Agenda, Fatal Attractions), they were kept within the X-books, and it didn't feel like they were pushing it onto the other Marvel titles. It was only when Onslaught came around that everybody got involved and there were big (albeit kinda ridiculous) repercussions and then we got the events pretty much every year.

I had only read Avengers Disassembled and House of M as trade paperbacks, and I enjoyed them quite a bit. Same with Civil War, although I haven't had a chance to read World War Hulk yet--I'm a little hesitant to.

And now, with Secret Invasion done... I dunno. I mean, DC did Infinite Crisis recently, which was all right, and Identity Crisis before that (which I really liked), and they seem to have cooled down since I haven't heard about any new gigantic crossover. Why can't Marvel just take a year or two off from the massive blockbuster crossovers?

Edit: Infinity Gauntlet was an awesome crossover mini-series, too.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:08 PM
heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymooo View Post
Why can't Marvel just take a year or two off from the massive blockbuster crossovers?
I'm hoping that Dark Reign is more of a universe-wide status quo and not actually an event... but who knows. I haven't really read much about it besides the fact that theres a new Avengers book coming and apparently a stand-alone Dark Reign book.

But I know what you mean. Spider-man's One More Day/Brand New Day was the right approach to an event, even if the content itself wasn't quality. It was wholly contained within the SM books, and that was that. Even New Avengers readers didn't need to keep up with it, even though Spidey is on that team.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:09 PM
Space Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by xScribble Hero View Post
I want to pick up sandman mystery theatre.

Really badly.
Do you mean the old series? Or is there a new series I don't know about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sraymonds View Post
DC and Marvel need to stop it with this event shit.
But first they have to tie up the loose ends of Atlantis Attacks.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:09 PM
Inscaper

I don't buy Bendis can't write action. US has some blisteringly intense showdowns DD had some nice moments too.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:11 PM
heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Dead Junkie View Post
I don't buy Bendis can't right action. US has some blisteringly intense showdowns DD had some nice moments too.
SI has been nothing but action, hasn't it? I mean, if you don't count the Mighty Avengers and New Avengers books.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:12 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
and they seem to have cooled down since I haven't heard about any new gigantic crossover.
They're in the middle of Final Crisis right now, but if anything they're playing it low-key with that one, since there's relatively few tie-ins to it (I think someone did an estimate and it's something like 1/3rd the size of Secret Invasion when you figure in all the tie-in material). It's been very good thus far, although you have to accept that you have to fill in a lot of the gaps yourself since Morrison's telling about eight stories concurrently and a lot of stuff happens off-screen. Assuming the supposedly revised ending isn't awful, it'll go in the category of very good events.

Quote:
Edit: Infinity Gauntlet was an awesome crossover mini-series, too.
Indeed. That one's just plain fun; no pretensions about being high art, just an excuse for a MASSIVE, six-issue brawl.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:21 PM
It's all good, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Nicolai View Post
Do you mean the old series? Or is there a new series I don't know about?
Do you mean the OLD old Sandman or the 90's revival?
Old 12-04-2008, 11:24 PM
Condiment connoisseur

Quote:
I don't buy Bendis can't write action. US has some blisteringly intense showdowns DD had some nice moments too.
I agree with this, too. Bendis and Bagley's (long) run on Ultimate Spider-Man is probably one of the few segments of monthly comics that I've gone back and read over and over again just for how exciting it is. Hell, he made the Clone Saga interesting to read.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:36 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
SI has been nothing but action, hasn't it?
But is it GOOD? That's the question - it's largely been a series of running fights with nothing really of consequence going on. Sound and fury signifying nothing, as it were. And he'll tell things that should be shown - you'd think that you might want to show Ares ripping a starship out of the sky and depositing it into the Atlantic, but instead that happens off-panel. He's always making very weird action choices like that.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:52 AM
Follow the fuck-man

Bucky is going to become a regular on the new avengers it seems. Am I the only extremely worried/hesistant about anyone other than Brubaker writing him? I am interested to see Bucky become more involved with the rest of the supes community though, here's hoping Bendis can pull it off.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:21 AM
I like Starman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
Wait, JSA *still* isn't dome with the Gog arc? It feels like this thing started back in the single issues (never mind the specials, which I agree looked like they were very good). I'm honestly curious how they'll collect this - if the specials are included in a softcover, I'll probably pick that up.

But... c'mon, I want to get to the Black Adam story already.
There is one more issue of the Gog storyline which comes out the last week of this month. While it has gone on for a while it has been interesting. All three specials were good, especially the Superman one, and it looks like it should wrap up nicely. I too am looking forward to a quality Black Adam arc though.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:24 AM
Hawkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Nicolai View Post
But first they have to tie up the loose ends of Atlantis Attacks.
You obviously haven't read Maximum Carnage.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:56 AM
I say thee neigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by O..O~ View Post
A whole army of super heroes couldn't take out the queen but norman osborn can
Part of my dissatisfaction with the whole mess is that they never go into real specifics on what can kill a Skrull. Are they like Majin Buu, and able to regenerate blown off parts? Or are they more like cell, being able to regrow limbs and regenerate flesh as long as certain organs remain intact? This probably should've been addressed at some point

I'm really looking forward to Dark Reign. A cabal of shady no-goodniks running the Marvel U (effectively) is a lot more interesting as a "CHANGE THAT THINGS WILL NEVER BE THE SAME AFTER" than some poorly justified mutant depopulazation, or a series of confrontations that probably would never have happened if it wasn't for the fact that Mark Millar is dumber than a sack of hammers (and licks goats). I just hope that it really is that--a change to the status quo that interesting stories will be bourn out of, instead of some dumb event thing that will be undone in a few months (see: Spider-Man's outing his secret identity)
Old 12-05-2008, 10:28 AM
I'm out

Quote:
I imagine it's harder to try and plot an action sequence or series of sequences that involve most of the Marvel Universe at one time. Maybe Bendis handles small groups better?
Old 12-05-2008, 10:36 AM
Hawkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAC View Post
Maybe Bendis handles small groups better?
Maybe Bendis can kiss my ass. Grant Morrison too.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:51 AM
Condiment connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by onimaruxlr View Post
if it wasn't for the fact that Mark Millar is dumber than a sack of hammers (and licks goats).
I find Mark Millar more inconsistent than impossibly stupid. I liked The Ultimates a whole lot mainly for the cues it took from The Authority, but Wanted and Ultimate X-Men were very hit-or-miss for me.

When I'd heard he was writing Civil War, I was more worried than interested, because on his off days (about half of Ultimate X-Men), he could churn out a lot of crap that seemed to be done "just 'cause," with dialogue that was more about characters one-upping each other instead of actually talking to each other. Civil War ended up being all right, but I do think a lot of the decisions that went into it were all about shock value (Spidey revealing his identity, "Thor") instead of being done in the name of good storytelling.

I mean, people were shocked when Beast died in Ultimate X-Men, and it actually hurt. But when Gambit decides to take on Juggernaut in a fistfight and also dies, it just felt completely unnecessary, like a major character death was thrown in just for the sake of having somebody die.

This is my problem with Mark Millar. Also, Wanted was too pretentious even for me, and I like openly pretentious stuff. It felt like an indie comic that was trying too hard.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:51 AM
Very punny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholai View Post
There is one more issue of the Gog storyline which comes out the last week of this month. While it has gone on for a while it has been interesting. All three specials were good, especially the Superman one, and it looks like it should wrap up nicely. I too am looking forward to a quality Black Adam arc though.
I'm only still reading JSA until the Powergirl book finally comes out. And this whole "Kingdom Come is gonna be main Earth canon" crap is gnawing on my last nerve.

I'm also highly annoyed they're cancelling Nightwing for another Krypton book. Grr. Honestly, Booster Gold is about the only thing keeping me in DC right now.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:41 PM
Oy To The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by sraymonds View Post
You obviously haven't read Maximum Carnage.
Don't forget all the fallout from Assassin-Nation Plot.

@O..O~: Why does Cap have a gun?

@xScribble Hero: I had totally forgotten about that series. I wonder if my library has any volumes of it?
Old 12-05-2008, 01:02 PM
Inscaper

Say what you will about Mark Millar, but Kickass is a TON of fun.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:11 PM
Justice is my Middle Name

Walking Dead #54 and #55. Left 4 Dead has made me want more zombie action in my life.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:18 PM
Condiment connoisseur

Yeah, depressing zombie action. I do really love that about The Walking Dead--it doesn't show the zombie apocalypse as some cool "the parents are out of town" fantasy where people are free to live by their own rules.

It shows it as a bleak, post-apocalyptic world where really horrible shit happens, often without any warning whatsoever.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:28 PM
I like Starman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Possum View Post
I'm only still reading JSA until the Powergirl book finally comes out. And this whole "Kingdom Come is gonna be main Earth canon" crap is gnawing on my last nerve.

I'm also highly annoyed they're cancelling Nightwing for another Krypton book. Grr. Honestly, Booster Gold is about the only thing keeping me in DC right now.
I think the whole point of the Gog arc is that our world avoids the Kingdom Come events.

They're not canceling Nightwing because of New Krypton but because of Batman RIP. Robin and Birds of Prey got the axe too. Nightwing will most likely be attempting to become the new Batman. They're going to have "Kandor" Nightwing and Flamebird in Action Comics, but that wouldn't have canceled Nightwing without RIP.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:39 PM
d.o_o.b

Guys, has Annihilation: Conquest been as fucking awesome as Annihilation?

Because that's the only crossover comic I've really given a shit about in a while.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:17 PM
Sorry, I have no tea

Astounding Wolf-Man #10
Batman #682
Criminal Vol. 2 #7
Liberty Comics A CBLDF Benefit Book
Old 12-05-2008, 02:52 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_from_LOTR_Balrog View Post
The Walking Dead #1 - I read this over lunch, I don't know how crazy I am about it. Is there a zombie comic that's less emo and more machismo?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymooo View Post
Yeah, depressing zombie action. I do really love that about The Walking Dead--it doesn't show the zombie apocalypse as some cool "the parents are out of town" fantasy where people are free to live by their own rules.

It shows it as a bleak, post-apocalyptic world where really horrible shit happens, often without any warning whatsoever.
Can you point me in the direction of the "parents are out of town" fantasy comic?

Tags
comics , demon bush , detective comics , detective comics comics , manga , marvel , paid comic book day