The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 07-23-2007, 11:44 PM
punch a fish, make a wish

I beat Odin Sphere two days ago. the final boss gauntlet was suitably epic!

but they were all pretty easy, since I gorged myself on Yogurt Fruit Mousses. gluttony saves the day!
Old 07-24-2007, 12:15 AM
Erdr1ck

The last game I finished was ... erm.

Didn't finish Super Paper Mario
Didn't finish Etrian Odyssey
Didn't finish any of the old PS1 RPGs I got for dirt cheap at GameCrazy
Didn't finish FFXII
Didn't finish Pokemon Diamond

Crap, I don't think I've finished anything since God of War II.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:21 AM
graffiti programmer

After 10+ years, I finally beat 7th Saga.

I wouldn't say it was worth the wait.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelMarston View Post
Do you recommend the DROD games? Their site is clean and organized.
I would, but then my name's on the credits. I am somewhat of a biased source, although I wouldn't have contributed if I hadn't thoroughly enjoyed the previous games. (I would recommend them independently of this, if you like puzzle games - it's very different to everything else out there.)

Quote:
Leave WOW behind! The freedom will make you a better person!

*Returns to reading about the latest-and-greatest MMOs*
I can quit at any time. For instance, I haven't played in a week - I pretty much just log on when I feel like beating some stuff up and getting some rep. I've never been married to WoW, as my brain's too weird to be affected by Skinner boxes.

Quote:
Elite Beat Agents
I haven't finished Hard Rock yet, so I didn't count this as beating it, but yeah, I've finished Sweatin' so if I lower my standards I've beaten it. Great game, it really helps to practice enough to be able to crack that third section of Jumpin' Jack Flash. I find it's pretty much suicide to not nail that part, because it's so difficult to get your meter up during that part and so easy to have the misses pile on.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:04 AM
bad mutha'

I just beat FF12-- my clock is at 50 hours and I've had the game for about a month. I was pretty late to the party since my broke-ass could only buy the game once the LE dropped in price at Gamestop.

Before I got swept up in FF12, I was playing Odin Sphere... I was getting pretty tired of playing the same levels over and over (I think I was up to the third or fourth character,) but after taking a month long break from the game, I feel that I can continue straight through to the end.

I'm also going to start up Metroid Prime 2 again, since I bought the game the day it came out and then stopped playing it during some boring backtracking part. I figure I should beat it soon, what with MP3 coming out in a month or so.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:08 AM

Just finished my third play-through of RE4, now I"m working on the bonus stuff. Before than, I finished Pokemon Pearl's main storyline, and the two-star difficulty level of Ouendan 2. I also finished my third play-through of the campaign in Advance Wars DS and I'm itching to start it back up again. I'm actively in the middle of Super Paper Mario and I have a ton of games in various levels of completion I need to get back to (or, in some cases, start).
Old 07-24-2007, 02:50 AM
An Animal of Joy

This year so far:

Ico, first time

Shadow of the Colossus, 4th time

Resident Evil 2, Second time

Halo, 6th-ish time

Halo 2, first time

Puzzle Quest, first time

I probly beat Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission 3 or 4 times each this year alone. Never gets old!

Sadly I haven't finished most of the games I really want to finish. I can't believe I am 70 hours into pokemon and just getting to the elite 4. Same amount of hours logged on FFXII but I have no idea how close I am. As for a 12 hour rule, If I really love a game that length can be really unsatisfying, but I think it is a good guideline for 90% of games.

Last edited by Traumadore; 07-24-2007 at 02:55 AM. Reason: Metroid Fever!
Old 07-24-2007, 09:39 AM
Sung Tongs

As for games I still need to finish, the list is embarassingly large. Setting aside games I don't want to finish (Vagrant Story, I tried to love you so many times but I just don't) and games I can't possibly finish (again, I tried my ass off to beat EBA and I am physically incapable of such a task)...

Final Fantasy IV and V--for one reason or another, I've never played far into either of these games. Which is strange because with the GBA re-releases I had little reason not to, other than trying to justify the price to myself

Shadow of the Colossus--I bought this, Ico, and some other game right around the same time. I got to the first Colossus in the game but quickly lost interest in the face of other games.

Final Fantasy Tactics--I'll probably hold off until I get the PSP version, but I've had the original, non-Greatest Hits version of this for almost a decade now and I've never legitimately beat it. I did in fact download a save via the DexDrive to see the ending, though...

Zelda: A Link To The Past--I got this the day it came out, and I played it pretty obsessively until I got totally stuck on the second to last dungeon. It was a game I played between classes while going to college, so I tried for a few days to figure it out on my own before getting distracted by other games and coursework. I've still got the save, so someday...

Valkyrie Profile 2--I've never played the first game, though I wish I had because I get the feeling the move to 3D fundamentally changes the game for the worse. The difficulty and need to level increases exponentially with time in this game, such that I got about 10 hours in and decided I was spending more time grinding than playing it.

Pretty Much Every Nippon Ichi Game I Own--I go through the same phase with each one. I get the strategy guide, I play it for a few hours a day for a week or two, and then I give up when I realize how much stuff there is to do. I won't find a lot of people who agree with me, but I think that NIS games give you too many options as far as what you can do and how to raise a party. Every FFT job is distinctly different and you have a good idea of what they can do and what their skills are. Disgaea classes are incredibly vague, and instead of one catch-all black magic class, they'll have mages for red, blue, and green magic. But I digress.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:42 AM
Thanatos feeding time

Hey guys, I beat Final Fantasy I over the weekend. I believe I am the first person in the history of the internets to do this!
Old 07-24-2007, 09:52 AM
Fear the Dragon of Dojima

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecchi squirrel View Post
Before I got swept up in FF12, I was playing Odin Sphere... I was getting pretty tired of playing the same levels over and over (I think I was up to the third or fourth character,) but after taking a month long break from the game, I feel that I can continue straight through to the end.
Ditto - I was on the 4th character before I got bored. I might go back to it, but I am into playing Jewel Summoner: Monster Kingdom right now. Ar Tonelico should be arriving from Gamefly at the end of the week and I will play that until my 360 comes back (since Persona 3 was delayed).
Old 07-24-2007, 10:19 AM
World of Darkness Returns

I beat Mario 64 DS last night. I would've never played through that thing at all if I hadn't gotten the game for free on Friday night.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:37 AM
Custom User Title

Just wrapped up: Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 2 and Chocobo Tales.

Almost done with: Super Paper Mario

In progress: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney and Pokemon Sapphire.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:19 AM
A No.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vahn16 View Post
I really need to finish Zelda: Twilight Princess. I'm six dungeons in, and I've heard that those last few dungeons are kind of short.

Once I finish Zelda, I'll finally feel right about moving onto Okami -- it is basically a really pretty Zelda game, after all.
Honestly, Twilight Princess should be your first priority. Fantastic game. As for Okami: I have a friend That lOves to annoy Me by Making sure he doesn't play that Game, even though he loves Zelda and I keep telling him Okami is a great Zelda game.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrambledGregs View Post
Valkyrie Profile 2--I've never played the first game, though I wish I had because I get the feeling the move to 3D fundamentally changes the game for the worse. The difficulty and need to level increases exponentially with time in this game, such that I got about 10 hours in and decided I was spending more time grinding than playing it.
I love this game but it does seem a bit broken or unbalanced. I am about 15 hours in, and I know that I have to do some major leveling up. Knowing that makes it a bit harder to turn on.

But the only games I have finished recently was Up Your Arsenal and Rocket Slime. Both more fun that I thought they would be, and I felt compelled to see everything there was to see in each.

But currently I am trying to finish Etrian Odyssey before Persona 3 arrives. I can't find a game time counter in there, but I would be surprised if it hasn't soaked up 30 hours of my time.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:42 AM
Come, noble knights!

I have a number of Xbox titles I've yet to beat, but the games I've beaten most recently on GBA are Dragon Ball: Advanced Adventure, Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3 (albeit I'd beaten it once before), and Megaman Zero 3. Now I'm currently working on playing through Riviera: The Promised Land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolbe View Post
Done. I've beaten Ninja Gaiden Black!
Nice work. That reminds me, though.....I've yet to beat Ninja Gaiden Black myself. I made it as far as the ice and lava caverns of chapter 12, but I stopped playing shortly after because I got too low on health and exhausted my supply of healing items without a safely accessible shop or foes to grind for essence nearby.

I should really finish it up soon.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calorie Mate View Post
Honestly, Twilight Princess should be your first priority. Fantastic game. As for Okami: I have a friend That lOves to annoy Me by Making sure he doesn't play that Game, even though he loves Zelda and I keep telling him Okami is a great Zelda game.
Okami is one of the best games ever. I would call it a must play for everyone.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:26 PM
Shall we praise the sun?

I got bored with Okami. It looked nice and all, but it just wasn't a lot of fun. The dungeons seemed poorly designed compared to Zelda, and the battles just sucked.

Maybe this should go in the confession thread.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:27 PM
Especially Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Man Master View Post
Nice work. That reminds me, though.....I've yet to beat Ninja Gaiden Black myself. I made it as far as the ice and lava caverns of chapter 12, but I stopped playing shortly after because I got too low on health and exhausted my supply of healing items without a safely accessible shop or foes to grind for essence nearby.

I should really finish it up soon.
I have yet to touch Ninja Gaiden Black, despite all the gushing and whatnot.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:29 PM
Nice On!

Paper Mario... BEATEN! I am such a winner.

Then again, Paper Mario is just about the perfect length. So that helps.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:52 PM
HellCorgieが倒せない!

I'm actually gearing up to do a 1UP feature about why people don't seem to finish their games like they used to. I always hear "I loved _______, but I never did finish it."

Post-game bonuses are nice. Makes it less sad to say goodbye at the end. Yeah, I'm a nerd. Except nerds are smart.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:04 PM
Pixel pusher

I beat Etrian Odyssey last week. I'm happy with my final party, so I'm going to stretch out the post-game stratum and see how many quests I can solve without pulling out my hair. Besides that, I beat Gwendolyn's story in Odin Sphere, finally. I love the alchemy and cafe portions, but I was afraid I was going to have to re-learn all the recipes again with a new character... I'm glad I was wrong about this. Losing all the bags hurts, though.

So, how long does FFXII generally take to beat, minus all the side quests? Or, are those the best parts of the game?
Old 07-24-2007, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
So, how long does FFXII generally take to beat, minus all the side quests? Or, are those the best parts of the game?
I did just enough side-questing to fight Gilgamesh(because he's f'ing awesome) and it took me a little over 60 hours to beat.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:41 PM
professional bog man

I GameFly everything - mostly to save money and also because I usually end up selling my games, anyway. Now my criteria for being finished with a game isn't "Did I finish it?" but instead "Did I experience enough of the game and am I still having fun?" I returned Odin Sphere after the first chapter because I realized the game was going to be the same thing five times over, and I really didn't want to hate it. I still had fun with it, though.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:07 PM
Sung Tongs

You did the right thing with Odin Sphere. By the end of the second chapter I hated it, though it wasn't because of all the repeated content so much as the artificial increase in difficulty.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:14 PM

I gamefly all but the niche stuff that I want to support (Persona 3, Odin Sphere, etc..) and stuff I will play for a long time (Gears of War, Guitar Hero)
Old 07-25-2007, 09:50 AM
Sudden chomper

Just finished Actraiser last night for the first time in probably about 10 years. Still a really fun game, although I have a few issues with the platforming sections. They're full of cheap hits that are nearly unavoidable... which doesn't matter in the end because you have tons of HP and you can beat most bosses by cheesing them with the shooting star magic (or the giant glowy balls you get at the end). Aside from the boss gauntlet at the end, which is pretty tough, your success doesn't really seem to be determined by your skill level.

Thankfully, the city building sections are cool and the platforming mostly just adds some welcome variety to the mix. And I love the sound that the avatar makes when he swings his sword.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:23 AM

I beat Guitar Hero 80s last night on Hard in a single sitting with no failures. My wrists still kind of hurt today.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:04 PM
fgsfds

I need to continue Baldur's Gate II. Everyone praises it!
Old 07-25-2007, 05:24 PM
Winning Love by Daylight

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan View Post
I love this game but it does seem a bit broken or unbalanced. I am about 15 hours in, and I know that I have to do some major leveling up. Knowing that makes it a bit harder to turn on.
Actually, if you're doing any kind of grinding in Valkyrie Profile 2, you're not making full use of what the game gives you.

First, Seal Stones are pretty much the most important things in any dungeon. With the proper set up in some dungeons, that boss that's doing 1,000+ damage to all characters with 900HP will turn to more like 100-200 points of damage. Second, weapons and chaining into specials/Soul Crushes are important factors in battle. Not to mention, the point of VP2 is to minimize the amount of times you get hit, not to tank your way through damage like in other RPGs. Finally, look up a FAQ and learn some skills. Toughness doubles HP, and will virtually make your party nigh-invincible for the main game.

VP2 may seem broken and unbalanced at first, but it's mostly a matter of how to take advantage of the gameplay mechanics.

Anyway... I have three weeks to fill before school and Persona 3 come up. So I'm burning through Skies of Arcadia Legends, a game that I've been putting off for years.

Front Mission 5 and Vagrant Story are on the backlog. But I suck so much at Vagrant Story that I might just skip that one for something else (Chaining 50 hits for 0 and 1 point of damage... Oi oi). I could play through Okami over again, but that would take a little too long.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:33 PM
Loves to overthink.

Vagrant Story might be best to play a good way through the game then just flat out restart with the knowledge you accumulated. I was playing it years ago practically following a strategy guide, doing crappy damage and sucking at the game. Replayed it just a year ago, years after I got it, and did fairly well, actually beating it that time.

Tags
a winner is you , backloggery , beat it , completed games , congraturation , fear of new threads , go and rest our heroes , hoooooraaayyy for you! , i've wasted my life , true end , victory cry , you feel strongth welling , you got the touch , you're the best around , you're winner