The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 03-15-2017, 09:12 AM
New Video World is out!

Default The Disney Afternoon Collection is real and so is god

PS4 Xbox One PC

Ducktales 1 and 2
Darkwing
Chip n Dale 1 and 2
Talespin
Old 03-15-2017, 09:15 AM
New Video World is out!

It's fucking real guys
Old 03-15-2017, 09:18 AM
Find Your Reason

I never gave the TaleSpin game a chance because, after daydreaming about what a shooter/platformer game could look like with full-sized sprites, Little Kid Zef was so mad they had "cute-ified" the Seaduck into a supermarket toy ride instead. Maybe Nostalgic Zef is ready to accept it for what it is.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:22 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Well, I mean, I'm buying this, obviously. So soon, too!

ETA: I've never actually played Darkwing Duck*, but I've heard good things, so I'm looking forward to it!

* - Although I did trace my finger through the game in some fold-out Nintendo Power maps as a kid.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:22 AM
Sega CD version is better

I was going to ask why there isn't a Switch version, but then I remembered that will probably just release them all separately on virtual console like they did with the Mega Man collection...
Old 03-15-2017, 09:24 AM
#deadfish2017

Wow that rewind feature is a hell of a thing. Great idea!
Old 03-15-2017, 09:25 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Man, that rewind is such a good idea, too. Have other classic game collections included that feature before?

Edit: Ninja'd
Old 03-15-2017, 09:39 AM
Gesundheit!

Very cool. I have been successfully nostalgia-baited (and they're good games, too).
Old 03-15-2017, 09:41 AM
Crazy Old Bird

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

(It's sad Little Mermaid isn't there, but I think that cartoon was only on Saturday mornings, so)

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Old 03-15-2017, 09:46 AM
Crazy Old Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becksworth View Post
I was going to ask why there isn't a Switch version, but then I remembered that will probably just release them all separately on virtual console like they did with the Mega Man collection...
Mega Man Legacy Collection ended up on 3DS. Eventually.

It would be pretty weird if they negotiated a contract with Nintendo which didn't result in these NES games coming out on a Nintendo system. But Nintendo's been acting weird and inconsistent with developers lately, so who knows.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:47 AM
hidden in snow

Haven't played Darkwing Duck, but TaleSpin is the worst of the rest. Still way better than the movie based games like NES Jungle Book though.

Finally a legit way to play Chip & Dale 2 without spending a couple hundred dollars on a loose cart!
Old 03-15-2017, 09:53 AM
Crazy Old Bird

Darkwing Duck is on the level of the lesser NES Mega Man games.

Also, didn't realize until the second viewing that the music is an 8-bit version of the Disney Afternoon theme song. I completely forgot that song existed until those lyrics jogged my memory.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:56 AM
#deadfish2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Finally a legit way to play Chip & Dale 2 without spending a couple hundred dollars on a loose cart!
I put it on my NES mini and my stupid kid doesn't even realize what he's experiencing.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:59 AM
Outer Spacean

Wow, didn't see that coming at all. Yay! I'll keep my fingers crossed for a Nintendo platform, but I suppose I could go with PC if I had to.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:01 AM
Unreliable Narrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
I put it on my NES mini and my stupid kid doesn't even realize what he's experiencing.

Same here. I thought those games would never be legit available (and probably still won't be on future NES minis) but the kids are more likely to try them on the PS4.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:01 AM
Mystery Contraption

Oooh, I don't think I played Talespin and I certainly didn't play Chip & Dale 2, but I played the SHUCKS AND BUNIONS out of the rest so YES PLEASE MAKE IT THE NEAR FUTURE RIGHT NOW!
Old 03-15-2017, 10:02 AM
New Video World is out!

They won't, but it'd be cool to see the Game Boy versions on this collection too.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:15 AM
whatever it takes

I almost never hear anyone talk about DuckTales 2, and I don't even think I knew there was a Chip & Dale 2. What's up with these? Is there a reason they don't get any love?
Old 03-15-2017, 10:16 AM
hidden in snow

Have they said if Digital Eclipse is handling this, or an internal team? It certainly has all the trappings of the MMLC.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:20 AM

I played through Talespin last year, and it's certainly not the best Disney game, but it's not bad at all. I also played through Rescue Rangers 2, and thought it wasn't nearly as good as the first game.

Darkwing Duck is the best Mega Man clone on the system.

I like DuckTales 2 more than the first game. It's really good, and I wish I had the cart. I had a friend of mine that sold all his NES stuff without telling me, for the kingly sum of $20! And that cart was one of the games he had! Ugh.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:22 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Have they said if Digital Eclipse is handling this, or an internal team? It certainly has all the trappings of the MMLC.
Yup, it's Digital Eclipse; Cifaldi said as much on Twitter.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:38 AM
?!

Nice collection. I recall TaleSpin being pretty mediocre, but all the rest are good to great.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:41 AM
does the Underpants Dance

I've never played any of these games!
Old 03-15-2017, 11:01 AM
Sudden chomper

This is great! I'll definitely pick it up.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
They won't, but it'd be cool to see the Game Boy versions on this collection too.
They won't, for the same reason this isn't on the Switch (yet?): Digital Eclipse built an engine to reproduce NES games as perfectly as possible on multiple platforms, and used the first six Mega Man games as their proof of concept. At the time they made that engine, the Switch didn't exist yet, so this collection using the same engine isn't on it, and the engine isn't built to reproduce Game Boy games at all.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:25 AM
Little Waves

I'm sad The Little Mermaid didn't make the cut—even more so because TaleSpin did. Branding, I guess. But this would still be worth it even if it all it had were the two DuckTales games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaeran View Post
I almost never hear anyone talk about DuckTales 2, and I don't even think I knew there was a Chip & Dale 2. What's up with these? Is there a reason they don't get any love?
They both came out in 1993, when most people had moved on from the NES.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:50 AM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

5 classic games! And Talespin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi View Post
I'm sad The Little Mermaid didn't make the cut—even more so because TaleSpin did. Branding, I guess. But this would still be worth it even if it all it had were the two DuckTales games.

They both came out in 1993, when most people had moved on from the NES.
Little Mermaid was, AFAIK, never a part of the Disney Afternoon. I'm most familiar with DA through my local Fox affiliate (which seemed to be the norm--wikipedia accuracy notwithstanding). Plus I think that game was based on the movie and not the TV series.

Yeah, Chip and Dale 2 and Ducktales 2 were pretty rare. Few people played it outside of emulation. I found it more difficult as well, but that's also probably due to it being a game not as many people know like the back of their hand.

I guess this is a pretty definitive indicator that Ducktales 2 Remastered is not happening (although they couldn't go the full route with that anyway without recasts--R.I.P. Alan Young). Although with the new cartoon, perhaps a new, original, Ducktales 3 based on the new series isn't out of the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerhof View Post
They won't, for the same reason this isn't on the Switch (yet?): Digital Eclipse built an engine to reproduce NES games as perfectly as possible on multiple platforms, and used the first six Mega Man games as their proof of concept. At the time they made that engine, the Switch didn't exist yet, so this collection using the same engine isn't on it, and the engine isn't built to reproduce Game Boy games at all.
It also accounts for later Disney Afternoon shows that have video games aren't included here. Their games were on different systems, aren't from Capcom, or not really as fondly remembered. Goof Troop is Capcom, and is quality, but was SNES. Capcom's Aladdin is quality, but is based on the movie, and is also SNES.

No one is really clamoring to revisit the Sega Bonkers or Gargoyles games, anyway.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:55 AM
Crazy Old Bird

From what I've read, Ducktales 2 is a better realized, more complete execution of the first game's ideas. Its only sin is bad timing.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:57 AM
Little Waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Little Mermaid was, AFAIK, never a part of the Disney Afternoon.
That's why I said "branding." I'd rather have six great Disney NES games than six NES games specifically based on shows which aired as part of the Disney Afternoon. But the latter is how they wanted to sell this.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:13 PM
kill

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
Man, that rewind is such a good idea, too. Have other classic game collections included that feature before?

Edit: Ninja'd
Rare Replay did this with some games. It's tedious. I'd rather have a quick save/quick load situation.

Tags
capcom , digital eclipse , disney afternoon , ducktales! , non-nintendo products , nostalgia glasses , rereleases , woo-oo