The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 03-10-2017, 08:21 AM
Nodal's Avatar
Nodal Nodal is offline
:O
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 10,506
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
He doesn't have a one hit kill. Also the werewolf means he's almost dead and that form is SUPER easy to parry so SHOOT HIM
Parrying is for cowards who can't dodge. Just hit him with a big hammer IMO.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 03-10-2017, 08:39 AM
Adrenaline's Avatar
Adrenaline Adrenaline is offline
It's all good, man
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 18,434
Default

Unless you invest in bloodtinge I don't think shooting in the middle of a combo would be very helpful.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 03-10-2017, 10:12 AM
Behemoth's Avatar
Behemoth Behemoth is offline
Dostoevsky is immortal!
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Land of Milk and Honey
Posts: 2,874
Default

Beat the Orphan last night. Then I spent a fair bit of time getting the Rakuyo from those shark fuckers in the well. I swear that was harder than some bosses. THEN I took on Lawrence, but got unceremoniously wiped... and I just couldn't at that point. I wanted this run to be over (and to save something for my next inevitable playthrough).

So I left Lawrence to fester and dispatched the Wet Nurse, Gehrman, and the Moon Presence. This was my first time facing the latter two, and I had probably twice as many levels as I should have, so they went down like chumps.


And so my Bloodborne journey comes to an end, for now. I'll love this game forever, and I'll still read this thread, and still watch let's plays, but I need a break, at least for a little while.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 03-10-2017, 10:20 AM
Tomm Guycot's Avatar
Tomm Guycot Tomm Guycot is offline
Bald Gendou
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: California
Posts: 11,967
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
The second time I fought him he transformed into a wolfman. I hate wolfmen. I was doing okay and had him down to maybe a 5th or less of his life when I got caught on a tombstone or something and then the camera was shitty.

The third time I fought him he somehow one hit killed me in I guess it's his second form? He transforms his weapon. But, it seems bullshit. One hit kills? come-on.
Do you have a music box?
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 03-10-2017, 12:17 PM
Ted Ted is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,312
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Unless you invest in bloodtinge I don't think shooting in the middle of a combo would be very helpful.
Upon reading my post again, I wasn't as specific as I should have been.

My "bright" idea was that I could charge in full-aggro and lay into a high-poise mook, shooting mid-combo when it retaliates for the parry + visceral.

Now that I write this, it seems like it would need a lot of finesse.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 03-10-2017, 12:32 PM
narcodis's Avatar
narcodis narcodis is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Salt Lake City UT
Posts: 3,378
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
Upon reading my post again, I wasn't as specific as I should have been.

My "bright" idea was that I could charge in full-aggro and lay into a high-poise mook, shooting mid-combo when it retaliates for the parry + visceral.

Now that I write this, it seems like it would need a lot of finesse.
In most cases, I find it's more practical to just work quickstepping into your combo. I find that parrying really works best when it's more calculated, and only on really aggressive enemies. For most enemies, it's best to just sidestep their attack and counterattack (which still gives bonus damage, mind you). For really big enemies with slow attacks (for example, pigs), you can reasonably quickstep behind them and get a fully charged R2 attack off, which will them stun them, leaving them open to a visceral attack.

I've said it before, but quickstepping is everything in this game. Embrace it!!
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 03-10-2017, 02:21 PM
YangusKhan's Avatar
YangusKhan YangusKhan is offline
does the Underpants Dance
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,833
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oathbreaker View Post
If enemies catch you in at the end of your dodge invincibility or during your attack animation they get the same rules a player does. You take extra counterhit damage. So if you haven't increased your health much it happens, though usually only against two specific early bosses.

I'm pretty sure his extended axe does have one attack that can OHKO with counter damage. If not it can get damn close so a little health missing might've made the difference. His werewolf form can't OHKO to my memory.
It's probably the lunging attack he has with the 2-handed axe. That shit hits super hard. Also I'm pretty sure fighting him so much is what originally converted me from the Saw weapons to the Axe for my starting weapon. Love that thing so much. His extended axe phase is a lot easier to parry, but it's also more dangerous since he hits way harder.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 03-10-2017, 05:27 PM
Falselogic's Avatar
Falselogic Falselogic is offline
Threadcromantosaurus Rex
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: California
Posts: 30,289
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomm Guycot View Post
Do you have a music box?
I do. But I never used it.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 03-10-2017, 07:16 PM
Wolf's Avatar
Wolf Wolf is offline
Ancient Nameless Hero
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,733
Default

You should during that fight. But not too much too soon.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 03-11-2017, 01:13 PM
Falselogic's Avatar
Falselogic Falselogic is offline
Threadcromantosaurus Rex
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: California
Posts: 30,289
Default

Father Gasciogne is dead. I did use the music box in his beast form but like an idiot, I did it when I was too far away from him and it was pretty much wasted...

Into the Church Ward!
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 03-11-2017, 01:14 PM
narcodis's Avatar
narcodis narcodis is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Salt Lake City UT
Posts: 3,378
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
Father Gasciogne is dead. I did use the music box in his beast form but like an idiot, I did it when I was too far away from him and it was pretty much wasted...

Into the Church Ward!
may the good blood guide your way!~
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 03-11-2017, 01:16 PM
Falselogic's Avatar
Falselogic Falselogic is offline
Threadcromantosaurus Rex
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: California
Posts: 30,289
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcodis View Post
may the good blood guide your way!~
I tried to sneak up behind the chain rattling ax-wielding giant in the Church Ward and completely missed... I guess he's too tall. He made quick work of me in that tight space.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 03-11-2017, 01:44 PM
Ted Ted is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,312
Default

Congrats on Gascoigne!

I'm not too far ahead of you now; grabbed the easy goodies in the Ward and dipped a toe into Old Yharnam. Got another round of upgrades in, too: Saw Cleaver+3 and Blunderbuss+2.

I think I'll continue into Old Yharnam from here.

Plotwise:
* Talked to Eileen
* Gave the little girl the brooch
* Granny's at Oedon Chapel
* Told Alfred I'd cooperate
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 03-11-2017, 06:10 PM
Falselogic's Avatar
Falselogic Falselogic is offline
Threadcromantosaurus Rex
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: California
Posts: 30,289
Default

I've explored as much of Cathedral as I could, lots of locked gates. Went into Old Yharnam through the sarcophagus door dodged the gunner. Made my way up to the gunner. Died to the gunner...

Oh and I killed the cleric beast.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 03-11-2017, 07:06 PM
Serephine's Avatar
Serephine Serephine is offline
contains words & diagrams
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 10,100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
I've explored as much of Cathedral as I could, lots of locked gates. Went into Old Yharnam through the sarcophagus door dodged the gunner. Made my way up to the gunner. Died to the gunner...

Oh and I killed the cleric beast.
Godspeed.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 03-11-2017, 10:17 PM
Alixsar's Avatar
Alixsar Alixsar is offline
The Shogun of Harlem
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Harlem
Posts: 23,644
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodal View Post
Parrying is for cowards who can't dodge. Just hit him with a big hammer IMO.
Counterpoint: guns are sick and also TIGHT
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 03-12-2017, 09:48 AM
Ted Ted is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,312
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
Like I said before, Hunter Axe and Ludwig's Holy Blade are probably the "best" weapons in the game but Hunter Saw isn't far behind. And everything is good, so use whatever feels comfortable.
I've been tinkering with the Hunter's Axe and it does feel pretty good, even oddly familiar: a bit of the two-handed move set reminds me of the Switch Axe in MH. I think I'll stick with it.

I made good progress last night; defeated the bosses of Cathedral Ward and Old Yharnam. Huzzah! The former took five or six tries and the latter went down in one shot by a comfortable margin. A gunslinger's way saves the day....

Highlight of the night: watching a big pig charging another big pig in Yahar'gul. Good times.

@Falselogic: keep up the good work!
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 03-13-2017, 12:38 AM
Falselogic's Avatar
Falselogic Falselogic is offline
Threadcromantosaurus Rex
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: California
Posts: 30,289
Default

So I made my way through old Yharnam and with the help of Alfred I killed the Blood Starved Beast.

I then went back to the Cathedral Ward and a new door was open I went up the Workshop but seemed like there was nothing going on up there (Except for the two symbols I found? I haven't figured out how to equip them.) Then I went down the tower and then down a hole. At the bottom, I found another symbol and opened a door and then tried to kill a guy with a bag and he fucking wrecked me. I lost all my souls and then woke up in a different place. This area was tough but I think I got most of the stuff in it found a lamp, killed some pigs, found a praying lady who wouldnt talk to me and then used the lamp to warp back to safer areas.

Those fucking bag guys are tough! Kind of have no idea where I'm supposed to be going now...
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 03-13-2017, 01:13 AM
Behemoth's Avatar
Behemoth Behemoth is offline
Dostoevsky is immortal!
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Land of Milk and Honey
Posts: 2,874
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
So I made my way through old Yharnam and with the help of Alfred I killed the Blood Starved Beast.

I then went back to the Cathedral Ward and a new door was open I went up the Workshop but seemed like there was nothing going on up there (Except for the two symbols I found? I haven't figured out how to equip them.) Then I went down the tower and then down a hole. At the bottom, I found another symbol and opened a door and then tried to kill a guy with a bag and he fucking wrecked me. I lost all my souls and then woke up in a different place. This area was tough but I think I got most of the stuff in it found a lamp, killed some pigs, found a praying lady who wouldnt talk to me and then used the lamp to warp back to safer areas.

Those fucking bag guys are tough! Kind of have no idea where I'm supposed to be going now...
At the bottom of the hole was there a wolf guy that shot fireballs (want to make sure we're talking about the same hole)? If so, you're on the right track. It's a little bit winding but eventually you'll find a short cut to the Cathedral Ward.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 03-13-2017, 01:35 AM
Falselogic's Avatar
Falselogic Falselogic is offline
Threadcromantosaurus Rex
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: California
Posts: 30,289
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
At the bottom of the hole was there a wolf guy that shot fireballs (want to make sure we're talking about the same hole)? If so, you're on the right track. It's a little bit winding but eventually you'll find a short cut to the Cathedral Ward.
He looked more like a goat guy? I don't know if he shot fireballs I stayed close to him when I killed him. I didnt get much farther past him though. Like I said that bag guy kidnapped me or something...
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 03-13-2017, 06:20 AM
boyonion's Avatar
boyonion boyonion is offline
one zero zero one SOS
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,047
Default

^^ You were on the correct path. The spot you need to get to isn't much farther past him. Just about the exact same thing happened to me my first time through.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 03-13-2017, 08:59 AM
Behemoth's Avatar
Behemoth Behemoth is offline
Dostoevsky is immortal!
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Land of Milk and Honey
Posts: 2,874
Default

You should head back to the jail at some point. The bag guys are tough as nails but it's a cool area with some good loot. Also, let us know if you'd like a hint on how to get the praying lady to talk to you.
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 03-13-2017, 09:00 AM
Serephine's Avatar
Serephine Serephine is offline
contains words & diagrams
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 10,100
Default

The bag guys to giant pig is the best echos loop in the game at your level too, if you find yourself needing vials or something.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 03-13-2017, 09:32 AM
narcodis's Avatar
narcodis narcodis is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Salt Lake City UT
Posts: 3,378
Default

There's also a boss in the place where the bag guy takes you.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 03-13-2017, 11:23 AM
Alixsar's Avatar
Alixsar Alixsar is offline
The Shogun of Harlem
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Harlem
Posts: 23,644
Default

Also they're called Snatchers, and Snatcher is a fun game, and once you get them to 50% health they use Kaioken and start doing Evil Ryu's Ryusokyaku. Plus they're trying to kill you with a dead guy in a bag.

So, basically, they're the best????? Go there, get some levels, and get the Tonitrus and electrocute some fools! Snatchers drop the second level of blood stones too so you can upgrade your weapons once you're done there.

Those "symbols" aren't equipment, having them in your inventory opens up new items at the shop in the Hunter's Dream. One of the ones you got gives you access to the Holy Blade, which as I've said before is STUPID good.
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 03-13-2017, 12:02 PM
Behemoth's Avatar
Behemoth Behemoth is offline
Dostoevsky is immortal!
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Land of Milk and Honey
Posts: 2,874
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
One of the ones you got gives you access to the Holy Blade, which as I've said before is STUPID good.
The Holy Blade is practically OP, which means that I of course used it mercilessly and almost exclusively.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 03-13-2017, 12:11 PM
conchobhar's Avatar
conchobhar conchobhar is online now
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Snowy climes of Canada
Posts: 2,561
Default

It's helpful to have a weapon in reserve when your primary just doesn't cut it, and Ludwig's Holy Blade is a great choice.
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 03-13-2017, 12:34 PM
Falselogic's Avatar
Falselogic Falselogic is offline
Threadcromantosaurus Rex
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: California
Posts: 30,289
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
Also they're called Snatchers, and Snatcher is a fun game, and once you get them to 50% health they use Kaioken and start doing Evil Ryu's Ryusokyaku. Plus they're trying to kill you with a dead guy in a bag.

So, basically, they're the best????? Go there, get some levels, and get the Tonitrus and electrocute some fools! Snatchers drop the second level of blood stones too so you can upgrade your weapons once you're done there.

Those "symbols" aren't equipment, having them in your inventory opens up new items at the shop in the Hunter's Dream. One of the ones you got gives you access to the Holy Blade, which as I've said before is STUPID good.
I know what the symbols do. I was talking about the runes. Which I can't equip yet.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 03-13-2017, 12:59 PM
Ted Ted is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,312
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
I was talking about the runes. Which I can't equip yet.
I can't do this either.

I haven't made it into the Healing Church Workshop, so I wonder which I should prioritize as my next short-term goal.
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 03-13-2017, 01:14 PM
Serephine's Avatar
Serephine Serephine is offline
contains words & diagrams
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 10,100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
I can't do this either.

I haven't made it into the Healing Church Workshop, so I wonder which I should prioritize as my next short-term goal.
These things are perhaps related!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
beast mode , from software , seek it , that pale blood

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Your posts İyou, 2007