The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 01-18-2017, 03:25 AM

Default Timm the lights and watch HouDini's magic - Talk about DCAU

It's apparently not the first time this thread was suggested, so I thought I'd start it. Been watching Batman TAS, which is an all-time classic. I've seen bits and pieces of others, and I'm pretty impressed by the overall quality of it. It's got low points, but it's also got some of my favorite versions of DC's classic heroes, particularly the Justice League group. Wikipedia reminded me how much it improved the DC comics universe, too, with the retcons/additions of characters.

What are your favorites? What's the best DCAU moment? Which one of the movies is the most entertaining?
Old 01-18-2017, 04:49 AM
Mystery Contraption

I'd be here all day ruminating on what were the best moments in the DCAU (because, holy crap, there are a lot), but of the series Batman and Justice League/Unlimited are the clear winners, with Superman and Batman Beyond being a close second place. Static Shock I have no opinions on, one way or the other, but I liked the costume...

And nobody even remembers or acknowledges Zeta Project.

As for the movies, no contest, the best one is Mask of the Phantasm. Sub-Zero is fine, but it's mostly a particularly long follow-up to Heart of Ice that pretends that the Evil Walt Disney Cult didn't happen. Batwoman is also fine, but I don't remember a blessed thing about it, except that it ends with Thornes empire finally Collapsing.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:43 AM
Outraged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Batwoman is also fine, but I don't remember a blessed thing about it, except that it ends with Thornes empire finally Collapsing.
IIRC, Bruce meets several new women and it's all Batwomen all the way down. 12 or 13 women, all Batwomen all the time.

Also, they have green goblin's glider.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:50 AM
#deadfish2017

Static Shock was unwatchable.

The one episode I saw of Justice League they were turned into babies by a witch and I'm sorry, it may have tons of goodwill but there's not enough to cancel that out.

B:TAS tho was a pioneer. They fought executives not to put a title in the opening. "It's BATMAN" they said. "There's no way no one is not going to know what this is." And by gum they were right. Just a prime example how that show was concerned with a style and a tone over convention. A true classic.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:56 AM
Outraged!

Oops, you saw the backdoor pilot for Justice Babies. I promise it isn't representative of the rest of the show. Except the backdoor pilot for "Wonder Woman, except she is a pig".
Old 01-18-2017, 08:35 AM
Find Your Reason

"Kid Stuff" is fun and whimsical and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise.

You want bad JL/U episodes, look no further than any ep devoted to the already convoluted Hawkgirl/Hawkman origin story.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:59 AM
Outraged!

The first episode of Justice League I saw was Hawk and Dove, which was dumb enough to cause me write off the show.

Later I happened to catch an episode with The Question in it and his character design was intriguing enough to draw me back in. Thank heavens.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:04 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpfriction View Post
Oops, you saw the backdoor pilot for Justice Babies. I promise it isn't representative of the rest of the show. Except the backdoor pilot for "Wonder Woman, except she is a pig".
Wonder woman except she is a pig contains

1.) Batman interrogating Medusa (Blindfolded of course) on the river Styx. After he's done the Ferryman of the River Styx is like yo what about my toll so batman just pulls a coin out of his utility belt because of COURSE Batman keeps the Fee for the Ferryman of the River Styx in his utility belt HE'S FUCKING BATMAN.

2.) This.

Therefore it's good.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:19 AM

Unlimited has a few episodes near the start that are undeniably duds. In fairness, they had only just gotten started on the whole "let's just do EVERY HERO EVER" idea and needed some time to find their footing. I would say "Just skip the first 4", but that would mean skipping For the Man Who Has Everything which is so good. I think it might be the only film adaption of an Alan Moore Story that Alan Moore actually liked.

After that though it's just aces. There's a reason I bring it up every time I talk shit about the CW DC shows. It's a case study on how to do comic book superheroes on tv PROPERLY, and it's infuriating how the current batch of DC shows have failed to take any lessons from it.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:30 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
"Kid Stuff" is fun and whimsical and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise.

You want bad JL/U episodes, look no further than any ep devoted to the already convoluted Hawkgirl/Hawkman origin story.
I've always been quietly relieved that they didn't bother even mentioning Hawkman until the very end of the show.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:35 AM
The Goggles do Nothing

Also regarding This Little Piggy, I always love imagining this cut scene:

"On the commentary, the producers allude to a scene that was cut from the final print of the episode: Soon after Wonder Woman is turned into a pig, there would be a scene featuring the Joker and his gang preparing for a crime with the intention of laying a trap for Batman. At that time, Batman would pass by their sight, consoling a pig in his arms. After staring blankly at the scene, Joker would comically give up on the job and call it a night."

http://dcau.wikia.com/wiki/This_Little_Piggy

Also, please do not click on that link, as you will spend the rest of the afternoon reading random DCAU trivia.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:37 AM

Random wonderful things about Unlimited.
  • The time travel episode where the time travel bad guy was literally just some loser who's wief nagged him into becoming a time god and normal Batman runs into New Batman & Old Bruce Wayne and the three compared MAKE BAD GUY TALK techniques.*
  • The best version of Amanda Waller Ever.
  • Booster Gold on "crowd control" while the rest of the leage fights a super wizard in the background.
  • Shazam vs Superman, but instead of just 2 HEROES FIGHT OVER MISUNDERSTANDING it's a complete story, and the destruction they cause is the actual point instead of just spectacle for spectacle's sake.
  • FLASH DAY BEST DAY.
*Old Bruce Wayne won.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:39 AM
Outraged!

Old 01-18-2017, 09:46 AM

FLASH DAY

BEST DAY
Old 01-18-2017, 10:25 AM
It's all good, man

I liked the episode where after Superman's "death" he ends up actually trapped in the far future of Earth, where Vandal Savage had successfully destroyed humanity. He realizes he fucked up and shit sucks now, so he helps Supes travel back in time to prevent himself from ruining the planet.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:26 AM
Safe Space

Quote:
Later I happened to catch an episode with The Question in it and his character design was intriguing enough to draw me back in. Thank heavens.
The Question is the best part of every episode he's in. Jeffrey Combs is brilliant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
I liked the episode where after Superman's "death" he ends up actually trapped in the far future of Earth, where Vandal Savage had successfully destroyed humanity. He realizes he fucked up and shit sucks now, so he helps Supes travel back in time to prevent himself from ruining the planet.
Also, Lobo.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:44 AM
does the Underpants Dance

I'm pretty sure JL Unlimited is on Netflix but the first JLA cartoon is not. I've always thought the first cartoon looked more in line with the rest of the DCAU, but I've never watched anything beyond Batman and a little Superman.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:48 AM
Is there not one thing

Unlimited is the one that has wildcat fighting in super hero vale tudo, yeah? That was good, though its Dragon Lady temptress villain is a more than a lil bit tired these days
Old 01-18-2017, 11:10 AM
It's all good, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by YangusKhan View Post
I've never watched anything beyond Batman
so no Batman Beyond?
Old 01-18-2017, 11:13 AM
120 Days

JLU had an ep with Warlord. Grell for the win!
Old 01-18-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YangusKhan View Post
I'm pretty sure JL Unlimited is on Netflix but the first JLA cartoon is not.
I know for a fact I watched a few episodes of OG Justice Leauge on netflix not too long ago, but things appear and disappear on that service all the time, so no idea if they're still available.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:35 PM
Find Your Reason

I just went over to my list, screencapped it, and:

Mind, this is the US Netflix. The JL/U rights might play out differently in other regions.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:37 PM
does the Underpants Dance

Oh cool. I think it was a case of "used to be on, got taken off for a little while, back on again."
Old 01-18-2017, 12:39 PM
World of Darkness Returns

I liked Justice League a lot, but disliked JLU because it felt like it traded character development for character variety.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:40 PM
Find Your Reason

Yeah, not too long ago I marathonned JLU, specifically because I missed everything past "Epilogue", because it was coming off Netflix. I think the removal was rescinded within days of the deadline, though.
Old 01-18-2017, 01:32 PM
Just bear with me

Since it was mentioned before, whaddaya suppose happened to Ian Peek? Would the intense heat of the Earth's core snuff him out, or would his intangibility mean he'd just be stuck there, going mad from the isolation?
Old 01-18-2017, 01:37 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

There may be life in the old girl yet. Stay tuned (at the very least, I found the skeleton of the next writeup).

And the Hawkgirl plot has some great stuff in it:

- The ending of Starcrossed. It got very, very dusty in my study watching that.
- Hawkgirl heavily implying she had kinky sex with Carter Hall (either while in costume or using the mace as a sex toy, I forget the exact line)
- What I'm sure will go down as the best animated or live action version of the Defenders
- Shayera: "How stupid do you think I am?" Batman: "Scale of 1 to 10?" - proof that even 80s sitcom dialogue is awesome when spoken by Kevin Conroy

JLU was clearly a "we have only so many episodes before this all ends, so we're going to use everyone we always wanted to in stories" thing, only that denouement wound up lasting 39 episodes instead of the projected 13. Then again, Luthor's stated reason for taking over the Legion was that Grodd had come up with a plot so stupid that even characters in a superhero noticed how dumb it was, which redeems just about any other bad episode you can think of.

Oh, and for those rewatching, the usual reminder: Crisis on Two Earths was a JLU episode given a very token re-skinning (literally in the case of the participating GL); it's really important for series continuity, as it explains both the expanded league and the changes to the Watchtower between JL and JLU.

Last edited by Sven; 01-18-2017 at 01:48 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:04 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArugulaZ View Post
Since it was mentioned before, whaddaya suppose happened to Ian Peek? Would the intense heat of the Earth's core snuff him out, or would his intangibility mean he'd just be stuck there, going mad from the isolation?
If his runaway intangibility means he can't interact with physical matter in any way except gravity, I don't think heat would do him in. Then again, he could still see, refract light through his body, and speak. Not that it'd matter anyway, since he probably suffocated or died of thirst halfway through the mantle.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:02 PM
Better be the real thing.

I actually just finished marathonning the core DCAU series (minus the movies) myself a few weeks ago. There were a lot of episodes of Superman and Gotham Knights I'd missed before. My random thoughts (mostly about Batman: TAS):

- It really struck me how much the style shifts between B:TAS and Superman/Gotham Knights. It's not just the character designs. The animation, especially in the top-tier Batman episodes, has more weight and heft to it. Some, like "On Leather Wings" and "Heart of Ice," feel at times more like a live-action show. Compared to that, the flatter, more stylized, CG-tinged Justice League style can be a little jarring.

- That said, some Batman episodes are so hard to look at due to their janky animation that they're lucky they're so well-written.

- Maybe it was me, but it seemed like there was more emphasis on humor toward the end of Batman's Fox Kids run. Maybe it went with the rebranding to "Adventures of Batman and Robin." There seem to be more classic villains played for laughs, more Joker/Harley stories, and not one, but two episodes that deal with comedians becoming villains. (Depending on your definition of comedian)

- Not that I'm complaining. Every moment Scarface is onscreen is a total delight.

- I never noticed before, but there are only maybe two or three episodes of OG Batman that deal with the supernatural, all involving Ra's al Ghul. Then Gotham Knights has the Demon showing up, Superman brings in Dr. Fate, and Justice League has magic being tossed around all over the place. Dunno why, just thought that was interesting.

- How did Metallo get his face back?

- Flash Day is Best Day.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:22 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Batwoman is also fine, but I don't remember a blessed thing about it, except that it ends with Thornes empire finally Collapsing.
I also remember it having a cool, jazzy soundtrack and a far lighter tone than I expected from a "Batman" feature. Following Phantasm and Return of the Joker was a hard act to follow, though, and I may rewatch it soon now.

Quote:
The commentary for This Little Piggy says Timm was on a bit of a Buffy kick around that time, and so we ended up getting a lot of self-aware, goofy plots during that time too. Even so, it was executed really well for the most part, and didn't need to be as serious as the Batman show was. Although Superman had paved the way a bit, too.

Tags
batman , cartoons , justice league , schwarbage , superman