The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 02-18-2017, 07:39 PM
Natural Born Critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
1. Let It Go
Frozen
Score: 186
Mentions: 7
You didn't think I wasn't going to talk about Frozen did you? Of course Idina Menzel and her now-famous power ballad of self-release is the centerpiece of this show, but there's a slew of other important names you should know in this show, and you just might be able to see how much the cast:

Kristen Andersen-Lopez and Rob Lopez are the husband/wife team that wrote the songs for this musical together. The Lopezes are the reason this story focuses on the relationship of two sisters as its core, rather than your typical prince/princess romance. Rob Lopez's previous musicals that you just might have heard of are The Book of Mormon and Avenue Q, so I think it's pretty interesting to see his work with a G rating attached to it. Rob Lopez and his Avenue Q partner Jeff Marx also wrote the songs for the musical episode of Scrubs, "My Musical."

Jonathan Drew Groff, who plays Kristoff, was in the original production of Spring Awakening and originated the role of King George III in Hamilton.

Josh Gad bubbles as the sunny snowman Olaf, but also originated the role of Elder Cunningham in The Book of Mormon.

Santino Fontana is the morally questionable Hans, but also appeared in a major Broadway revival of Sunday in the Park With George and originated the role of Tony in the Broadway version of Billy Elliot, along with several other major Broadway roles. He now plays the role of Greg on Crazy Ex Girlfriend.

Maia Wilson, Kristoff's Troll Mother, has been a broadway actor for decades, playing Joanne in Rent, several roles in The Color Purple, an ensemble member in The Book of Mormon, and more.

Disney still relies on top Broadway musical talent to tell its stories, for sure.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:17 AM
#deadfish2017

Here's my list.

1. Bye Bye Life - All That Jazz

Realy sad this one didn't make it. Way way at the top of my favs. It's got so much going on, so catchy, such devastating subtext, and it ends man. Whew. How it ends. Damn.

2. No More - Into the Woods

I like everything about into the woods (except the film) but this song is the most emotionally resonant for me (also it's not in the film.)

3. King of the World - Songs of the World

4. I Am What I Am - La Cage aux Folles

Hey ho, the original birdcage. A defiant proclamation against the haters. Goes places.

5. Rose's Turn - Gypsy

6. Three Bedroom House - Bat Boy

I hope people listened to this, it's super good.

7. I'm Going Home - Rockey Horror Picture Show (film)

Prob not the best song in the show, but I always found it moving. (Specifically Tim Curry's performance in the film)

8. Johanna - Sweeny Todd

Specifically the reprise that merges Anthony's hopeful longing with Todd's resigned desperation. Beautiful, but discordant in that Sondheim way.

9. Mean Green Mother from Outer Space - Little Shop of Horrors (film)

Fun song, but I mostly voted it for the production sorry.

10. Ring of Keys - Fun Home

11. From this Moment On - Kiss Me Kate (Film, 1953)

Specifically for the moment where Bob Fosse changed dance forever.

12. Barcelona - Company

13. Lot's Wife - Caroline, or Change

Man just listen, goddamn.

14. Fugue for Tin Horns - Guys and Dolls

Slight, but super fun and super impressive. Does a ton of heavy lifting too.

15. We Are Africa - The Book of Mormon

16. Satisfied - Hamilton

My Hamilton pick. Had to go with one.

17. Another Opening, Another Show - Kiss Me Kate

Excellent establishing song. You get everything you need to know about all the characters and their relationships.

18. Another National Anthem - Assassins

19. One More Sleep Till Christmas - Muppet Christmas Carol

My one Muppet pick. I went with it because it contains a variety of animation tricks and production values. Plus it's a nice pleasant song.

20. Can't Help Loving That Man of Mine - Showboat

Super important song in musical history. First time a song was important to the story being told as opposed to existing outside of the interior narrative.

21. Office Krumpsy - West Side Story

Fiendishly difficult, music-wise. When performed well you don't even realize how weird it is.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:25 AM
Out Of Warranty

I'll share some of my favorite picks that didn't make the list. I really thought yu had better tastes, Talking Time!

You Make My Dreams Come True from (500) Days of Summer
One of the best moments in the movie. C'mon, we all have felt like this in the morning after, right? I love how they managed to capture that feeling. The cartoon bird at the end kills me every time.

I Wanna Hold Your Hand from Across The Universe
I know it's not the best musical ever -most songs bring the story and the pacing to a screeching halt in the second half, a cardinal sin in a musical - but I expected somebody else to vote for this movie. I guess I'm the only Beatlemaniac in this board I really like the arrangement of this song, and it is so heartbreaking when you realize they have changed the context to the song so it becomes about an impossible love.

I Just Met A Girl from Across The Universe
And then there's this number, that it is just so fun.

El Tango de Roxanne from Moulin Rouge
I expected to see a lot more of Moulin Rouge in the list. This is the number I voted for. It floored me the first time I saw it, and it was one of the highlights I keep looking forward to the next four times I saw the movie in a theater I love how they mix the familiar (the lyrics to Roxanne) with the new arrangement to tell the story of the Argentinian and parallel it with Christian's story. Also, I'm a sucker for tango.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:15 PM
Zen-vergonha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positronic Brain View Post
I Wanna Hold Your Hand from Across The Universe
I know it's not the best musical ever -most songs bring the story and the pacing to a screeching halt in the second half, a cardinal sin in a musical - but I expected somebody else to vote for this movie. I guess I'm the only Beatlemaniac in this board I really like the arrangement of this song, and it is so heartbreaking when you realize they have changed the context to the song so it becomes about an impossible love.
This is amazing! I need to watch this movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Here's my list.

1. Bye Bye Life - All That Jazz

Realy sad this one didn't make it. Way way at the top of my favs. It's got so much going on, so catchy, such devastating subtext, and it ends man. Whew. How it ends. Damn.
I like this one a lot too.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:27 PM
#deadfish2017

Across the Universe squanders most of the goodwill that the first half engenders.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:33 PM
Out Of Warranty

Oh, yeah, I forgot this one. I didn't nominate it because it didn't qualify, per the rules, but damn if this isn't the most beautiful dance sequence ever.

The Fisher King
'nuff said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juca View Post
This is amazing! I need to watch this movie.
Please do. It is fun, and the music is awesome. But beware, it represents the vision of Julie Taymor, she of Lion King and Spider-Man. Her work tends to be polarizing, but I like her style. And even if I agree with Loki...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Across the Universe squanders most of the goodwill that the first half engenders.
...the net sum at the end is positive, and the music numbers are very memorable, double so if you are a Beatles fan. The hard part for me was not nominating most of the movie.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:38 PM
#deadfish2017

I will say it's got a beautiful version of Dear Prudence.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:30 PM
Natural Born Critic

Quote:
I'll share some of my favorite picks that didn't make the list.
I can think of so many that didn't make the list that I would have liked to see, but in the end only one matters.

Go see some live theatre!
Old 02-21-2017, 01:36 PM
For blood and gold

Ok, for fun and because I have some time now that I didn't have before the deadline, I made a first pass at a last of my favorite numbers. Since I'm looking at this as whole numbers with choreography in addition to song and music, a lot of these are chorus numbers. Here, in the order I thought of them are ones I had on this list that didn't make it to TT's list:

My Fair Lady - On the street where you live

Bells are Ringing - A Simple Little System
(I wish this clip featured a Sandor who could actually sing)

Show Boat - Can't Help Lovin' Dat Man

Jesus Christ Superstar - King Herod's Song

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat - Any Dream Will Do
(Man, I don't like this version, but it's the best one with video I could find on youtube)

Evita - High flying adored

Rent
(I was basically in the exact right age range for Rent to hit me hard - it got big right as I was finishing High School. I have to imagine that Hamilton is for kids today as it was for me back then. As such, it's so hard for me to pick a best number from Rent. And man, how disappointing was the movie?)

La Vie Boheme

Christmas Bells are Ringing

Light my Candle

Rent

Seasons of Love
(The second act isn't bad, but it's definitely a letdown after how good the first is)

South Pacific - Nothing Like a Dame

Guys & Dolls
(A nostalgic favorite - the chorus numbers are so good in this one)

Sit Down You're Rockin' the boat

Luck be a lady

Good Old Reliable Nathan

Moulin Rouge - Elephant Love Medley

Fiddler on the Roof - Tradition
(There are several other great ones from this one

Hair - Hair

Wicked - Defying Gravity
(I joked above, but both this and Let it Go are Idinia Menzel songs about finding yourself - of course Let it Go is more about running away from yourself while Defying Gravity is about accepting who you are)

That's about half of it. Part 2 coming later!

Last edited by Red Hedgehog; 02-22-2017 at 11:22 AM.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:22 AM
Ruffian

I knew this wouldn't make the list when I voted for it, but y'all should watch it anyway. This sequence cheers me up like no other:

Old 02-22-2017, 08:32 PM
Drawerings

Quote:
God damn it.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:23 PM
King Of Space-Time

Okay... These three from my list I was realling hoping would make an appearance but what can ya do?
So here we go.

Two extremely villian songs and a main theme.

Jeremy Irons does villiany like few others. Add in the purposely disturbing goosestepping and here we are.

Keith David as Dr. Facilier really should get more cred if you ask me.

You really ARE a good man, Charlie Brown.

Last edited by Daikaiju; 11-19-2017 at 10:19 AM.

Tags
democracy was a mistake , muppets , puting on the ritz , the hills are alive , too cool for frozen , top 50 countdown