The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 03-13-2017, 09:58 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.R. Bigman View Post
I let a robot child die.
Yikes. What did the mother have to say? I never had the heart to complete the quest that way.

Meanwhile: I finally met the other one, and the entire sequence leading to the other one was amazeballs. I tried to avoid as many Forest Knights as possible because they were keeping to themselves, but, well, the ones in the castle were unavoidable.

Also unavoidable: an actual application crash. I don't know if I overloaded the system memory somehow, but suddenly Tubes was freezing in place when walking normally (but not while dashing), more and more frequently, until finally the screen went black and the game crashed. The console generated a report and I sent it away, but I'm now very worried about the health of both the game and the console :s
Old 03-14-2017, 08:35 PM
Family Man

Well, I didn't let the robo-tyke die in so much as I couldn't protect him from the waves of mean machines trying to kill him for no real reason. You don't get a second chance on that quest, and since I hadn't saved in almost an hour I'm not going to get 100% quest completion. Pretty upset about that! The Mom was, as well!

If you haven't already, it's worth doing a bit of fishing in the area near the sea and in the pipes around the giant sinkhole in the City Ruins. Among other things, I fished out a familiar Iron Pipe...
Old 03-14-2017, 11:24 PM
Find Your Reason

Blah, I think I screwed up my first run just a little bit. I did some story stuff and now three quest givers are gone :/

To be as vague as possible, I'm around Lv 35 (or 38?) I'm pretty sure I'm near the end of Route A, and I've just been told to meet someone at the Factory. However, due to the events at the Flooded City, the Wandering Couple has disappeared from their spot at the edge of that region and Father Servo is no longer on his roof (I assume you can only fight him if you have both characters in the party?) Also, even though I completed Emil's Lunar Tear hunt during the, er, missile crisis, and got his key, the elevator at the mall won't respond at all. I'm hoping I can get my partner back soon so I can at least try the third Robo Dojo quest and open Emil's elevator.

Earlier, in the Forest, I ran into a boar-riding machine who attacked me in defense of its moose stable. Instead of fighting it, I just left the area... and now it won't spawn again, even though there's a quest marker right there ("Of Machines and Beasts", IIRC.) I wonder if it's a bug, and if not fighting it triggered some sort of failure state.

Otherwise: holy crap this game. I've done almost all other quests so far (I'm missing Half-Wit Scientist because I'm not a millionaire, and the third part of Speed Star). And although in general the sidequests haven't yet reached the level of bizarre cynicism/trolling of Nier 1, when they do get there? They're definitely there. The characterization has also been wonderful, and the "emergent" gameplay has been nothing but fun. One of my absolute FAVORITE moments came in the mission I JUST finished, at the Copied City: when I approached the elevator via the cave at the bottom of the Ruins, POD warned me that there was likely an enemy ambush waiting below. So, once I got into the elevator, I grabbed my heaviest sword and charged up an attack so I could literally come out swinging.

So you can imagine the look on my face when I unleashed the attack and found myself... there.
I LOVED that moment, especially since it wasn't something the game did on its own (although it has had plenty of that), but something that worked between myself AND the game.

Oh, and I don't have the soundtrack to check, but I'm pretty sure that the boss at the Flooded City event uses a remix of Nier 1's "Dark Colossus Destroys All". Which would be very fitting, since it looks like a goddamn giant Shade and that's the moment you lose one of your party members.

And yeah, I have been very diligent in my fishing Fishing in the ocean has been very, very good to me...
Old 03-15-2017, 03:40 PM
PerpetuallyFrowningBitch

You will have another chance at quests you missed for one reason or another. But don't sleep on it.

Zef: there are several quests, including Emil's Memories and Wandering Couple, that you are unlikely and probably not expected to complete entirely in Route A. You won't miss out if, for one reason or another, you don't manage to get back to those this run.

Soundtrack isn't out until the 29th but I don't care, it's so good and I want it so bad.

One other note: it amazes me how much of the incidental chatter and quest dialogue is actually important in this game. Not all of it, of course. But most RPGs - Final Fantasy and BioWare, in particular - separate the world into "important information" in plot quests and "irrelevant information/worldbuilding" in sidequests/incidental dialogue.

Without spoiling anything, that is absolutely not the case here. Multiple sidequests have plot-critical information. You can also change the way some sidequests end with your actions in ways that aren't necessarily overt - you won't always (or usually) get a menu that lets you choose how it plays out.

Last edited by Kylie; 03-15-2017 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:57 PM
Family Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
Yikes. What did the mother have to say? I never had the heart to complete the quest that way.

Meanwhile: I finally met the other one, and the entire sequence leading to the other one was amazeballs. I tried to avoid as many Forest Knights as possible because they were keeping to themselves, but, well, the ones in the castle were unavoidable.

Also unavoidable: an actual application crash. I don't know if I overloaded the system memory somehow, but suddenly Tubes was freezing in place when walking normally (but not while dashing), more and more frequently, until finally the screen went black and the game crashed. The console generated a report and I sent it away, but I'm now very worried about the health of both the game and the console :s
I had the game crash and the PS4 send a report tonight. The game is Super Janky, so I wouldn't worry about the system. What I am worried about is when was the last time I saved.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:04 AM
It's all good, man

If I have no history whatsoever with Nier or Drakengard but I like Platinum's action games, should I pick this up?
Old 03-16-2017, 09:11 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
If I have no history whatsoever with Nier or Drakengard but I like Platinum's action games, should I pick this up?
YES

There's tiny references here and there, but no direct plot link. At the absolute worst, the most you'd be losing is the experience of prior Taro shenanigans to compare this to and the knowledge that Nier's trademark is Things Are Never What They Seem. But beyond that? It's absolutely a standalone experience in plot, setting, characters, and system. It's just... a weird game with weird beats and weird events that focuses more on drawing an emotional reaction --even if that emotion is a bewildered "WTF" most of the time.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:31 AM
Find Your Reason

And double-post because, speaking of WTF?

I said above that I felt I was near the end of Route A, and that I had to go to the Factory?

Turns out the Factory is basically the Lost Shrine all over again!

You start the game there, you all but end it there again!

So yeah, I guess the Missile Supply mission is basically the point-of-no-return for this game, because once that starts, nothing is the same again. The endgame begins and only a handful of quests can even be done at that point.

But the Factory, and everything that came after... holy shit. That was a hell of a climax. I entered the Factory at Lv35, and by the end of everything, I was 40. And I STILL couldn't afford not taking enemies seriously, so at one point it became obvious that I wasn't meant to fight all of them, just try to reach objectives as quickly as possible and fight my way through. And then the actual climactic battle...

Loved the setting, loved the design of the battle, loved the player engagement.

I know I've only seen a third of the story so far (maybe less), and I'm probably wrong about some things, but I still have thoughts and concepts I need to digest. I'll see if I can organize them better for a later post.

And I also have a save just between the fight with the Flying Junk Swarm and the fight with Eve, and I know I can teleport, so I'm wondering if I should visit other locales to see what's happening there --or, hell, if I can get a Bad Ending from doing so. Otherwise, I can just replay the events and see if there's anything I missed.

Oh, and Evasive System, Bullet Detonation, and Pod B were invaluable. Everyone should get them as soon as they become available. And Evasive System is just damn cool in action.

Become as... GODS
Become as... GODS
Become as... GODS
Become as... GODS
Become as... GODS
Become as... GODS
Become as... GODS
Old 03-16-2017, 05:31 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Steam version drops soon. Gonna start playing tomorrow! Anything I should know to make the experience more enjoyable? Are side quests better this time? Sorry, I haven't been reading the thread since the PS4 release.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:34 PM
PerpetuallyFrowningBitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
Steam version drops soon. Gonna start playing tomorrow! Anything I should know to make the experience more enjoyable? Are side quests better this time? Sorry, I haven't been reading the thread since the PS4 release.
Side quests are much better and very important, do them. I promise. Talk to people. Take your time. This is a complete game.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:40 PM
Find Your Reason

Also, as soon as you have the opportunity to explore the big open area, be VERY thorough checking it out, especially any paths you find near the beginning that lead to adjacent areas. What you find will make things easier from the get-go.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:48 PM

I'm about 20 hours in but I'm not feeling very invested in the story or characters. Most of the quest plot lines are just running back and forth between areas. And the bosses don't generally tie into the plot. So far they're just big robots with no direct plot connection or mysterious figures who I don't don't know anything about. And the side quests are Nier-caliber fetch quests...

It's been a while since I played Nier but some of the plot points and cut scenes are burned into my brain. Characters making sacrifices, betrayals, permanently changed. Those meaty plot points and cut scenes are so far missing from this game. I hope it picks up soon.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:22 PM
forbidden noise

i like that this game has (mid-A) put to rest the "adam and steve" thing by making "adam" and "eve" both silver-haired bishonen
Old 03-17-2017, 09:02 AM

I finished Ending A and I felt nothing. I have no idea who the protagonists or antagonists are, or why they're doing what they're doing. The plot was mostly just running back and forth between locations and delivering objects.

This game has probably 1/10th of the cut scenes as Nier. The story is very slight.

Perhaps the story is filled in on a second playthrough but I don't feel like A gave me much reason to continue.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:32 AM

I ordered this now. I was hesitant at first because of the "retrieve corpse" aspect but then I read an interview with the developer and I just ended up liking him so much that I just want to support him. Also it was released on my birthday. Must be a sign!

@balder_the_brave
I saw a review and they said that the story really only unfolds if you play through it multiple times so playing through it multiple times is actually mandatory to the enjoyment of the game.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:03 AM
Find Your Reason

Basically, yeah, Ending [A] is not the ending of the game, but rather the ending of a particular arc.

I mean, we still know nothing about A2, about how Emil ended up inside a machine lifeform's head, whether machine lifeforms are ALL Emils, what the ultimate purpose of the war is on a global scale (we only witnessed, what, three or four main "missions" in the vicinity of once city?), what Arts & Entertainment's true nature is, whether machine lifeforms are now the legitimate inhabitants of Earth after eight thousand years of human/Replicant absence, if there ARE any humans left or if they're just recordings, what 2B's real feelings towards everything and everyone are, what will happen to Nines after the Eve battle, and what THAT meant to the machine lifeforms and their network.

And, well, everything about the machine lifeforms themselves and how they're developing their own cultures and societies now that they're cut off, just like Replicants did once before.

I'm left with MORE questions at the "end" than I had at the beginning, and I've loved all the questions that have been laid out. With the knowledge that machine lifeforms ARE capable of sentience, emotions, complex relationships, and culture (which this game revealed very early on, but which Nier 1 waited until Route B to unveil), and with 9S's abilities and perspective driving the plot for Route B, I wonder if his own discoveries will be even more earth-shattering than Kaine's in Nier 1.

Last edited by Zef; 03-18-2017 at 10:57 PM.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:31 PM
Banned

Unless the glitch I had was abnormal (and I bet it's not, since it seemed like part of the game), then [[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[ Eve ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]] is impossible. Doing that without the pod laser or evading? Not possible. Any of you who did it somehow are cheaters who should be living in cheatersville.

EDIT: well I guess I have to go live in cheatersville too, since I finally beat that boss.

This may have been mentioned, but eating the makerel and taking out your OS chip will give you fast-credits-roll endings K and T. This is like ending L being for leaving an operational area, unless there are actually separate mini-endings for leaving different operational areas. I don't know if you have to get every other ending on one file before getting the True Ending, but I'm going to try to put all the mini-ones on one files just in case.

What is Arts & Entertainment?

Last edited by Onomarchus; 03-18-2017 at 09:27 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:36 PM

Started this today. Is any controller scheme better for melee and evasion?
Old 03-18-2017, 09:43 PM
PerpetuallyFrowningBitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onomarchus View Post
Unless the glitch I had was abnormal (and I bet it's not, since it seemed like part of the game), then [[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[ Eve ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]] is impossible. Doing that without the pod laser or evading? Not possible. Any of you who did it somehow are cheaters who should be living in cheatersville.

EDIT: well I guess I have to go live in cheatersville too, since I finally beat that boss.

This may have been mentioned, but eating the makerel and taking out your OS chip will give you fast-credits-roll endings K and T. This is like ending L being for leaving an operational area, unless there are actually separate mini-endings for leaving different operational areas. I don't know if you have to get every other ending on one file before getting the True Ending, but I'm going to try to put all the mini-ones on one files just in case.

What is Arts & Entertainment?
The game has several story-based endings. The game also has very many ways to end the game that are not "true" or "canon" endings, and they aren't hard to find. None of the latter group - the trivial endings - will affect the story based endings. They will, however, end your game. So save. Once you understand how to get them you see a lot of opportunities for them.

Answer: Adam & Eve.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:20 PM
Banned

I found another mini- or "trivial" ending for anyone who wants it, if no one's mentioned this one yet: self-destruct on the bunker. I couldn't even get self-destructing to kill me on Earth.

I think some of the quick-roll credits are sort of hard to find, and they have a certain validity of their own. They are very glorified game over screens of course, but so very Yoko Taro.

I am tempted, so tempted--like Judge Turpin (from Sweeney Todd)--to ask how many story based (full credits!) endings there are, but no! down down, temptation leave me. Don't tell me. Must complete the game on my own.

I don't mind knowing the number of trivial endings though. Or maybe even how you get them (not sure yet), which should still be politely spoilered.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive Blacksmith View Post
Started this today. Is any controller scheme better for melee and evasion?
No. Unless you prefer to have Light Attacks on Triangle and your Heavy Attacks on Circle, making Square the Action button.

I tried a Dark Souls-esque scheme and it doesn't work because you still want to be able to move the right stick while dodging a lot of the time, and since when dodging you won't be attacking (until you do a follow-up) having dodge on a shoulder button is fantastic. It just takes some getting used to.

I also switched the Fire button to L1 and the Pod Skill button to R1. I'm playing on Hard so I don't get to use Lock-on but I've got that assigned to Right Stick and the Camera Reset to L2.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:41 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

My roommate bought this and it seems like a weird successor to shitty PS2/Xbox character action games? Like, Bujingai and Oneechanbara and Bulletwitch...things like that.

To put it in other words, ITS DOPE.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:12 AM
Crazy Old Bird

Is there a better control scheme for ranged? Holding a shoulder button down to fire is absolute murder on my hand. Not sure how much I'll be able to play this.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:52 AM

When you're locked on it could work as a face button. It won't be as precise because you'll be sacrificing your ability to aim it with the stick while you hold the button but it should get the job done. Should work on flight sections regardless though.

I'd say switch Fire with the Action button, so action ends up on the shoulder. It'd be different but probably not as awkward to get used to as putting Jump on a shoulder button.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:51 PM
Family Man

New Game + Route B: Wow, it's neat getting to play through the game again as 9S. His version of the opening mission was quite a change of pace, though things will probably be mostly the same again until he gets captured by Adam near the end of the game. I appreciate the difference in play style, with only one equipable weapon and the need to hack the tougher enemies. He even gets his own radio buddy!
Old 03-20-2017, 12:43 AM
d.o_o.b

I'm having a much better time with the combat now that I put evade on LT and shoot on RT. Trying to do both with one hand was murder.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:36 AM

This game is the best thing to ever happen to achievements/tophies.

Not very similar but it reminds me of the way Nier on PS3 had the best status messages ever while you were playing it.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:16 PM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid View Post
I'm having a much better time with the combat now that I put evade on LT and shoot on RT. Trying to do both with one hand was murder.
I've been learning to use my pointer and middle fingers at the same time on my PS4's shoulder buttons. It was hard at first but as I practice it I can't imagine how else I would play.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:46 PM
Find Your Reason

I'm about 3/5ths through Route B (just opened the Forest Zone mission again) and I've been having a lot of fun with 9S's hacking

Mind, I still prefer the visceral appeal of multi-weapon combos, switching sets mid-combo and coordinating with my Pods for additional damage, but there's definitely something to be said about 9S's ability to blow up enemies after a successful hack. Sure, with smaller enemies, it takes longer to hack them than to hack them up, but Goliath-classes and Linked-Sphere types go down much faster and easier this way --plus, it's also so wonderful to "possess" an arm-cannon Medium Biped, an axe-wielding Red Medium, or a drill/buzzsaw Linked-Sphere and demolish everything with impunity.

...ahem. That may actually be one of the points of the game.

I also enjoy the new sidequests available in this path. I had a huge laugh at Pascal's Village when I did "The Recluse Stays Home", went off to do "Idiot Savant" right next to it, and, on my way, out, saw the lock on the door and actually exclaimed "AGAIN?!" and then 9S said the exact same thing And while I could probably take on "The Parade" with 2B at my current level (50) I might actually have an easier (if longer) time by simply hacking every anti-parade enemy into bolts. I'll abstain from completing the Robot Dojo quests until I have another melee fighter, though, since one-shotting Father Servo via hacking while he's distracted by 2B seems like cheating.

(I also went and completed "The Wandering Couple" since all they need to proceed with the next step is for me to respawn somehow, even if all I did was fall into the water.)

Do I have to complete any Forest Zone events before Emil shows up in his cart? I don't remember when I first saw him, but it might have been after the A2 encounter. I need him to show up so I can reactivatethe "Emil's Memories" quest And what are the three "Wise Machines" waiting for before delivering their quest?

Most of my weapons are Lv3 and ready to be maxed out as soon as I get to the Castle. I still have no clue where I can get Meteor Shards for Iron Will, though. I only have Meteorites.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:32 PM

I have my misgivings on the game, but it looks dope.

Anyone have any idea how long it is?

Tags
cavia , do not fist android girls , don't date robots , don't stop me now , it's happening , nier , nierer my god to thee , platinum games , square enix , this can (not) continue