The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 04-18-2015, 05:11 PM
Galaxy's Goofiest Spectre

Default A New Start in a New Galaxy - Mass Effect 4

So we've known ME4 has been in development for a few years, but we didn't really know much else. We knew it was being made by Bioware Montreal (a B team who made the ME3 MP as well as several DLCs) while the main studio in Edmonton worked on a new IP (which we also know nothing about).

The elephant in the room is how they were going to deal with the clusterfuck that was ME3's ending. Even those that liked or at least didn't mind the ending would probably admit it would be very difficult to make a sequel to, especially if you didn't want to canonize a particular event. There were some that suggested prequels, but I never thought that had much of a chance of being true.

However, a Neogaf poster with a history of getting leaks like this seems to have put forth the first tangible info on ME4 we've had, and while I suppose there's still a chance it's fake, it matches very closely to a lot of the hints that have been thrown out about the game.

As it turns out, it would seem the problem of the ending has been resolved by simply peacing out of the Milky Way to the next galaxy over. You play as the captain of a ship, Tempest, leading the earliest waves of colonization to the Andromeda Galaxy, assumedly X number of years after ME3. Whereas in the original trilogy you explored a galaxy already pretty much canvased by the various species that got there ahead of you, this time you're heading off into the unknown and exploration is the main point of the game.

From what I can gather, the Helius Cluster, which this game takes place in, is kind of like the wild west. Very little civilization, bandits, and frontier spirit. Your main job seems to be exploration and colonization. Unlike in the previous games, the galaxy map and solar systems start off with a fog of war. You are the one discovering them for the first time and thus making the map.

The game (AND THIS IS FOR YOU BEAT) will also feature the glorious return of Goofy Kart, The Mako, as world exploration is back. And apparently the Kart is customizable now. This post claims there are over a 100 planets to visit. That seems a bit excessive to me, but I guess we'll see. On these planets you can find various resources, set up colonies and look for old alien stuff, since, surprise, Andromeda seemed to have their own kind of ancient precursor race too, in this case called The Remnant. Remnant technology and the complications it creates seems to be the driving force of the main plot.

There are apparently seven party members (which ties for ME3 with Javick and is one more than ME1). We know about a krogan, Drack, and a woman named Cora who is apparently a biotic. With a name like that she could easily be a human or asari. No clue yet on whether the main character can be anything other than human, though the line in the post about setting up a new home for humanity might indicate that you will always be human in the game, provided that's not a misnomer by the poster.

Colonies will apparently be a gameplay mechanic. There are two types, one which helps with exploration by filling out more of the map and one that steadily gives you resources over time with mining. These colonies can be attacked and you can defend either by playing a match of the returning MP mode or by sending out metagame troops, a la those assassins you could train in the Assassin's Creed games.

There's a bit more in the post, but those are pretty much the main points. I think it sounds intriguing at the very least. Space Wild West is always something that appeals to me. If I had any worries, it would be that this game might dip a bit too much from the Inquisition well of having a ton of land area with not much in that area.

Oh yeah, and given that this game will take place in a setting where it would be easy as hell to control how much of the previous games matter at all, I now believe more than ever that they will do a Dragon Age Keep styled thing for ME now (my guess is Citadel Archives), since all it will need to effect is some dialogue here and there, some lore flavor text and maybe, depending on how many years this takes place later, a character appearance or two.

In any case, I expect a full announcement, trailer and all that jazz no later E3 a couple of months from now.
Old 04-18-2015, 06:13 PM
Your life is forfeit

Hey, yeah, I'm there with a syringe for direct deep-vein injection. This sounds like everything I would ever want from a Mass Effect game.
Old 04-18-2015, 06:24 PM
Baby, I WANT Klonoa.

Toss in 'and the unique map you forge by the end of the game will make a significant impact on the next game in the series' and

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parish View Post
Hey, yeah, I'm there with a syringe for direct deep-vein injection. This sounds like everything I would ever want from a Mass Effect game.
Old 04-18-2015, 06:28 PM
Mistress Greywolfe

The concept of this definitely sounds more interesting than the original trilogy. I generally don't like Bioware games much so I'm not getting my expectations high, but this all sounds cool.

As much as the Mako sections sucked in ME1, I do feel like it provided the game with a sense of scale that the 2 other games lacked- you were actually going down onto planets are wandering around an open field. It was a good idea, ME1 just didn't execute it right. Here's to hoping they make it work well this time around.
Old 04-18-2015, 06:32 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Yeah, I'm cautiously optimistic, so long as they can blend in some of the good character bits from 2 and 3 into the mix.
Old 04-18-2015, 06:51 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASandoval View Post
Toss in 'and the unique map you forge by the end of the game will make a significant impact on the next game in the series' and
Didn't we learn last time around that this only leads to disappointment?
Old 04-18-2015, 06:57 PM
Family Man

This sounds very interesting, except for the Remnant stuff. All the best parts of the original trilogy were either ongoing ethical struggles like the Genophage or Away Mission style one-off stories.
Old 04-18-2015, 07:13 PM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

the gameplay sounds rad as all hell. I'll be interested to see if they manage to come up with a plot and themes that are as compelling.
Old 04-18-2015, 08:34 PM
This Guy

I've been burning through the first three ME games recently and this all sounds pretty good to me. I would love a game that does more of the actual exploring like ME1 but actually plays well.

I also hope the game keeps the stakes kind of low. I like Bioware games better when they are not about the fate of humanity/the world but deal with more local or personal conflicts. I really like how DA2 was about the problems of one city, or Baldur's Gate with the trouble in a small region.
Old 04-18-2015, 08:42 PM

The whole 'wild west in space' bit has me really interested. Sounds like they're going back to the whole early notion that Mass Effect was supposed to be a Star Trek game with the serial numbers filed off. But the whole emphasis on colonization - while a part of Star Trek lore - feels like it has the capacity of being too imperialistic for what I want (which is again, a Star Trek game with the serial numbers filed off).
Old 04-18-2015, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
The whole 'wild west in space' bit has me really interested. Sounds like they're going back to the whole early notion that Mass Effect was supposed to be a Star Trek game with the serial numbers filed off. But the whole emphasis on colonization - while a part of Star Trek lore - feels like it has the capacity of being too imperialistic for what I want (which is again, a Star Trek game with the serial numbers filed off).
I think you're colonizing worlds that don't have people on them...

It would be cool to seek out new life and new civilizations, though, and I'd be surprised if that didn't come up at some point. After all, Andromeda is a bigger galaxy than our own and look how many unique races the Milky Way had.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:25 PM
oh my car

Yeah, Mass Effect had quite a few words about the effects of having a bunch of uninhabited new worlds to exploit, and that was what underscored the space optimism there, such as it was.

Being set in a different galaxy sounds like a great way to make sure it doesn't suddenly become all about Earth at the end.
Old 04-18-2015, 11:02 PM
Objection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Bill View Post
Being set in a different galaxy sounds like a great way to make sure it doesn't suddenly become all about Earth at the end.
And then suddenly the plot is about finding gateways to bring a macguffin back to Earth to save the day.
Old 04-18-2015, 11:08 PM
Half-Ninja

The important question is, can you choose to not be human in the singleplayer finally?
Old 04-18-2015, 11:13 PM
Space Patrol LancerECNM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
I really like how DA2 was about the problems of one city, or Baldur's Gate with the trouble in a small region.
you know, except for that whole dead god thing
Old 04-18-2015, 11:36 PM
This Guy

I meant the first game specifically, where there were bigger problems in the background, but the main plot itself was fairly small.
Old 04-19-2015, 04:50 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
Nah, ME3 implemented it wonderfully; all the sidequests you did come back to cause a little number to rise, and you needed that little number to make sure you don't get the ending where everybody, everywhere dies.

And the Quarian/Geth war and Genophage plots resolve with pretty drastic differences

Hopefully the Control ending was canon and you can get a Reaper on your crew this time. That'd be swell.
Old 04-19-2015, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheridanmovieguy View Post
I think you're colonizing worlds that don't have people on them...
Right, but even then you are venturing into really murky ethical grounds. Colonize a planet teeming with life, and you start interfering with the natural evolution of that biosphere. What if being on that planet prevents indigenous species from becoming sentient millions of years down the line? Or if you strip it of natural resources, that's resources others later cannot benefit from. And coming to this lawless 'wild west' filled with 'bandits' and colonizing it reeks of imperialism and the usual excuses people make for that. But instead of little brown people in loin cloths they're hideous aliens so it's OK.

I dunno. It's probably a minor concern most people don't care about. But it would be nice if this was something addressed in the game at least at some point in a serious manner. Because personally I need my sci-fi to be a little thoughtful and reflective. I won't really be satisfied if the game is just like 'we colonize because we can'.
Old 04-19-2015, 07:35 AM
New Video World is out!

I would love to play Mass Effect, but no gamepad support on PC! One of the most baffling omissions in gaming history.
Old 04-19-2015, 10:35 AM
concentrate

Awwww yeah, the Mako comes back. Best part of ME1, no matter what the haters say.
Old 04-19-2015, 10:39 AM
Highway To HFIL

I'm so bitter about ME3's ending that I don't think I can bring myself to spend money on anything that treats it as canon.
Old 04-19-2015, 10:49 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

I'm gonna play ME4 no matter what, so I don't even want to speculate right now.
Old 04-19-2015, 11:03 AM
i musnt run away

I'm really really uncomfortable with this. I'm uncomfortable about the possibility of any ending being canonized. I'm uncomfortable about the saga of the first series being diminished by a need to up the stakes with ever increasing sequels. I just wish to god that Mass Effect had just ended and been done. And if they want to do a new space game with a wild-west-in-space theme just make a new IP.

I am just so weary of series' going on and on and on and on. Love it or hate it, at least Mass Effect 3's ending was an ending, and it should have stayed one.
Old 04-19-2015, 11:15 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

Mass Effect was an ending to the reapers' story, though, not to the entire world.
Old 04-19-2015, 11:30 AM
Objection!

An IP and a franchise is commonly more then just the protagonist, and to tie it to them is to cheapen the storytelling.

There's a LOT of interesting stories in that universe that have already been hinted to that would be interesting to explore, let alone the fact that Shepard wasn't the only living thing of importance to ever exist.

That said, if they're going to cut all ties and start anew, then maybe it should have just been a new series. I can see how it would have been hard to justify the budget, though, especially when they already have a space opera IP for name recognition right there; if Bioware made a whole new one, I can easily imagine a lot of people going "Why didn't they just make it a Mass Effect game?"
Old 04-19-2015, 11:31 AM
is Earnest

I liked the ME3 ending but I agree that it's pretty much impossible to make a sequel to. But my understanding is that this is a game that takes place in the same world, but really really far out. Like farther than the reapers were, and completely unconnected from whatever the ME3 ending did.

Anyway, I'm excited about more space adventures. Hopefully they do a good job of balancing the exciting main plot stuff and the somewhat tedious side stuff.
Old 04-19-2015, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleck View Post
I'm so bitter about ME3's ending that I don't think I can bring myself to spend money on anything that treats it as canon.

We all know that feel, man.

I was mad for a long time. I still am sometimes. But I realized that I like the universe and setting more than how mad I was.

If I were to guess, I'd say they will probably mention the ending as little as humanly possible. As it stands I don't know how they're going to explain away the dumb green cyber-Jesus juice everyone has in their veins if you took Synthesis. Or how everyone is supposed to be half robot, or robots half organic or whatever the fuck. Maybe there will be a canon ending after all.

The point is either way, it won't matter. This is a new story. And going to a new galaxy is about as clean slate as it gets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkpen View Post
I'm really really uncomfortable with this. I'm uncomfortable about the possibility of any ending being canonized. I'm uncomfortable about the saga of the first series being diminished by a need to up the stakes with ever increasing sequels. I just wish to god that Mass Effect had just ended and been done. And if they want to do a new space game with a wild-west-in-space theme just make a new IP.

I am just so weary of series' going on and on and on and on. Love it or hate it, at least Mass Effect 3's ending was an ending, and it should have stayed one.
I understand this. Believe me, I do. I've always thought that things like Citadel were the writers admitting, as best as they could through contracts, that they messed up and were trying to make amends. Basically throwing out any indication that the ending will affect things at all in ME4 seems like another way to simply rid the world of the ending.

At times like these I find myself thinking of Star Trek and Star Wars fans, who's sci-fi universes remain there and interesting despite numerous horrible catastrophes the fandoms have suffered.

Mass Effect is a good universe. It goes on because there are many stories to tell in that universe, just as there are many stories to tell in Star Trek or Star Wars.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:34 PM
i musnt run away

I loved the ending, for the record.

But that's neither here nor there. I suppose the best way for them to workaround the ending is to make the basis of the premise a generation ship that took a thousand or so years to reach Andromeda and that left before the events with the Reapers occured. It'd be a convenient way to divorce any possibility of a canonized ending spitting in the faces of the ending people chose for themselves.
Old 04-19-2015, 01:48 PM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleck View Post
Old 04-19-2015, 01:55 PM
Space dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
This is the exact opposite of my experience. The persistent consequences of earlier games' choices was one of the best things about the series.

Why does any ending need to be canonized for this?

Tags
androm3d4 , anustart , extremely good faces , kevin spacy , make starlove not starwar , mass effect , space , spacing