The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 02-26-2014, 04:37 AM
New Video World is out!

Default Popping Pills in the Dark: Pac-Man Museum and Pac-Man General

Saw Pac-Man Museum had been released on Steam last night, had an eppy and immediately nabbed it. Runs in 720p with NO resolution options, so now I have to figure out how to stretch it out. Yeah, it's Pac-Man, but it would still be nice if the program actually filled the screen. God, I love me some Pac-Man though. Seems like a great collection. Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, Super Pac-Man, Pac & Pal, Pac-Land, Pac-Mania, Pac-Attack, Pac-Man Arrangement, Pac-Man Championship Edition, Pac-Man Battle Royale. Cannot wait to get stuck into it.

I fucking love Pac-Man, that's all I'm saying. The other night I went to a retro gaming event in my town and they had Pac-Man Vs set up with 3 Gamecube pads and a GBA - holy shit, what an amazingly great game! I'd never played it before but it might be the most fun party game ever.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:53 AM
Crazy Old Bird

It's a crime that they cancelled the Wii U and 3DS versions. Pac Man VS is a huge omission, and Wii U is the perfect hardware for that game.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:59 AM
New Video World is out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
It's a crime that they cancelled the Wii U and 3DS versions. Pac Man VS is a huge omission, and Wii U is the perfect hardware for that game.
Yes, I would have been all over this on 3DS. Any handheld, really.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:27 AM
Unreleased Beta Version

Pac-man General?

Old 02-26-2014, 05:38 AM
New Video World is out!

"It's alright! I had another guy."

"Hooray!"
Old 02-26-2014, 05:43 AM
I. Love. It.

Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures is a fun puzzley-adventure type game that's better than most people give it credit for, but should never have been titled 'Pac-Man 2'.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:22 AM
New Video World is out!

It should have been on this collection, along with Pac In Time and at least Pac Man World 1.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:00 AM
Espurrs are proud.

I'd definitely get it in a bundle with the new Ghostly Adventures game. As-is, I can't really get excited enough to fork over the money for either.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:01 AM
borgn

Oh hey this collection is windows only, assholes, motherfucking pathetic in this day and age but whatever

I have the best Pac-Man game available on my iPhone with CE anyway
Old 02-26-2014, 10:11 AM
New Video World is out!

It's on consoles too?
Old 02-26-2014, 10:14 AM
#deadfish2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
I have the best Pac-Man game available on my iPhone with CE anyway
How does that control?
Old 02-26-2014, 10:21 AM
borgn

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
It's on consoles too?
What I mean is I would like this collection and not porting it to macs is kind of ridiculous

CE on iPhone controls pretty well. It's fairly well-suited for swiping. I'd recommend it with the caveat that there's a bit of a learning curve - it took me a bit of time to click with it, but after that happened it's become one of my favorite iOS games.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:21 AM
We Hardly Knew Ye

I'm hardly a Pac-Fan, but Championship Edition is bar none amongst the best games of the last ten years.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:30 AM
New Video World is out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
What I mean is I would like this collection and not porting it to macs is kind of ridiculous
To be fair they barely ported the PC version.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:52 AM
the :motion: stands

Wait, it has Actual Pac-Man CE, and not the CE DX which has been constantly forced down our throats in exchange?
Old 02-26-2014, 12:08 PM
There he is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Wait, it has Actual Pac-Man CE, and not the CE DX which has been constantly forced down our throats in exchange?
What's the difference between the two?
Old 02-26-2014, 12:11 PM
the :motion: stands

CE has you collecting dots and fruit, which spawns more dots.

CE DX has all that PLUS A FUCKTON OF GHOSTS FOLLOWING YOU AND BOMBS AND SHIT OH MAN LOOK AT ALL THESE GHOSTS I'M EATING UP IN A ROW
Old 02-26-2014, 01:18 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyBardOL View Post
Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures is a fun puzzley-adventure type game that's better than most people give it credit for, but should never have been titled 'Pac-Man 2'.
If nothing else, it's quite fun to piss off Pac-Man. The big yellow idiot never should've trusted some jackass player with a slingshot to help him, especially given all the fun ways you can torture him in-game.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:58 PM
New Video World is out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Yes, actual Pac-Man CE.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:35 PM
That Pokemon Guy

Brickroad recently had his first experience with Pac-Man 2 in a stream.

It was glorious.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:55 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajr82 View Post
What's the difference between the two?
DX is a twitch-em-up where you follow a pre-defined critical path. CE is Pac-Man.

Both are incredible fun, but DX just doesn't scratch the same itch.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:54 PM
..and his little cat, too

Quote:
Yeah, that really killed interest for me. I was really looking forward to having it on my 3DS or playing with the GamePad.

...and these are the guys being trusted with Smash Bros.!

I mean, I'm still interested, but less so, given I already have CE and CE DX on my 360.

How much is this thing, anyway?
Old 02-26-2014, 11:51 PM
Just bear with me

Twenty on 360, and it runs in a tiny window. Nooooo sale!

Oh yeah, the Pac-Man Arrangement in the collection is the crappy PSP one, and not the awesome arcade one that got ported to the Game Boy Advance years later. And there are cameos by the stars of that naff Pac-Man cartoon. So super-no to that.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:29 AM
Come, noble knights!

I picked up Pac-Man Museum, mainly because I had no Pac-Man games on the Xbox 360 yet and I was interested in finally trying out Pac Land and some of the weirder Pac-Man games along with playing Pac-Man Championship Edition on something other than PSP.

I would still gladly trade Pac-Attack for Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures. Eugh, what a crappy puzzle game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArugulaZ View Post
Oh yeah, the Pac-Man Arrangement in the collection is the crappy PSP one, and not the awesome arcade one that got ported to the Game Boy Advance years later.
The arcade Pac-Man Arrangement was also in the first Namco Museum release for PS2/Xbox/Gamecube, along with Galaga Arrangement and Dig Dug Arrangement.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:34 AM
Crazy Old Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBD_Nytetrayn View Post
How much is this thing, anyway?
Ms. Pac-Man is free DLC which will become $4.99 at the end of March, so it's effectively a $24.99 game that's on sale for $19.99.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:12 AM
..and his little cat, too

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ...

(I typed that for roughly as long as I was actually thinking it.)

I don't know. I'm a big Pac-Man fan and all, but... I don't know. I just don't know. Between owning both CEs of Pac-Man, I'm not sure if I'd get enough out of this collection. Might wait and see if there's a sale, though.

(Again, had it been on 3DS or Wii U, I'd have been a bit more eager.)
Old 02-28-2014, 03:08 AM
New Video World is out!

Had a big play of this last night. I love it, but it's got its fair share of issues.

Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, Super Pac-Man, Pac & Pal, Pac-Land, Pac-Mania, Pac-Attack, Pac-Man Arrangement, Pac-Man Championship Edition and Pac-Man Battle Royale is a nice little selection, but... come on. I understand why CE DX+ isn't on there, but why not more? Why not Pac In Time, why not Pac-Man 2, why not some of the console variants like the superior Master System version of Pac-Mania? Why not the version of Pac-Man Arrangement that people actually like, not the limp PSP version included here?

Also, while I love that there's an unlocks system, all the unlocks are boring fucking bullshit. I don't care about unlocking a 3D model of some wanker from that garbage Pac-Man CGI crapsicle. It's a museum! Give me arcade flyers, give me the cabinet art, give me literally anything other than these terrible characters.

Other gripes: you can't expand the games from their original aspect ratio, so you're playing them in a window. This is accurate, yes, and I can deal with it, but I should be able to stretch/2x the window if I want to.

Despite all this I still really like it, because I love Pac-Man and this has a bunch of it.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:11 AM
Come, noble knights!

Personally I don't mind characters and objects from the new cartoon being unlockables (The more Canadian CGI cartoon nonsense filling the room, the better I'm getting at Pac-Man games), but yeah, they could've included stuff like arcade flyers, promotional comics, that sorta thing. And I still would've gladly sacrificed Pac-Attack for one of the versions of Pac-Man 2.

Guess they could always add more games via DLC, though. No reason the DLC should be limited to Ms. Pac-Man post freebie.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:39 AM
you work for ME now

Quote:
DX is a twitch-em-up where you follow a pre-defined critical path. CE is Pac-Man.
Yeah the original CE is good, but honestly, I just prefer to play the Championship course in DX.

It's CE, but without all the dying because I don't have superhuman reaction time. Plus, I always liked how you can make even the normal ghosts join your CHASE ME CHASE ME conga line if you get close enough to 'em. I appreciate having another way of dealing with the ghosts that falls well within the original game's control vocabulary.

Kinda the best of both worlds, if you ask me.

As for the collection here, right now, this is the only legit way to play Battle Royale without having to hunt down an arcade cabinet, isn't it? Been wanting to try that one, so that might be a nice selling point for me further down the line.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:54 AM
borgn

Battle Royale was also released on iOS, although playing it on anything less than a full-sized iPad is basically impossible, because it's still multiplayer only.

I also just realized that Namco has taken all of the CE-based games off the App store for some reason, so that version of the game and BR aren't able to be downloaded anymore.

Tags
blinky inky pinky , namco bandai , pac-man