The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 01-08-2014, 11:44 AM
Banned

Default Dragon Ball, sans Z

This is a thread for the original Dragon Ball. I'm watching it for the first time and wow, it's genuinely charming. I like it a lot better than DBZ so far and wish I saw this instead of DBZ as a kid.

The actual fighting is also better choreographed, IMO.

(NO ONE IS ALLOWED TO MENTION GT IN THIS THREAD)
Old 01-08-2014, 11:47 AM
gatchapon 3*

i loved the original DB, because there was progression and story, and the actual dragonballs mattered. it does get a little grindy during the tenkaichi budokai chapters, but otherwise it's a lot of fun.

That said, i still loves me some super saiyan action.

(And GT wasn't the worst thing ever. we got some cool new transforms out of it)
Old 01-08-2014, 12:01 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
we got some cool new transforms out of GT
Like so!

Old 01-08-2014, 12:06 PM
#deadfish2017

Let's all talk about what we liked best in GT.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:07 PM
borgn

^^ THAT, obviously
Old 01-08-2014, 12:07 PM
gatchapon 3*

DBGT Final Bout on the PS1 was hella fun.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:09 PM
New Video World is out!

My fondest memory of Dragon Ball was my Japanese friend in the 4th "grade" taking me aside and going "hey, look at this" and showing me the scene where Goku takes Bulma's panties off.

Thus tainting manga forever for me
Old 01-08-2014, 12:11 PM
We Hardly Knew Ye

Much as I might consider myself a fan of Dragonball (and I do!), I never got around to watching the original show. Which is a shame, because even the most jaded (former and/or lapsed) fans seem to agree that it's Good Stuff.

I wouldn't mind watching a time when the pile of side characters actually mattered. The one thing I dislike about DBZ is how the entire human cast gets pushed to the sidelines.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:17 PM
THAT'S TOMMORROW!!!

GT had more Pilaf than Z. ADVANTAGE: GT.
In GT Goku's butt was really shiny though and that was disconcerting. Was he constantly covering himself with oil? yes. yes he was. This is of course a step down from the naturalist matte Goku's butt scenes of the original

Back before everyone was just RUINING the landscape to show off their grotesque throbbing power levels, the lush Chinese storybook backgrounds were inviting and beautiful. Back when the Dragonballs mattered, LOOKING for them meant looking in different places and that is one of those things that was lost as the series went on.

I wipe several nostalgic tears from my cheek and resume the business of my day.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:20 PM

Also there was a pirate robot.

My main oldschool memory of Dragon Ball is when the first few episodes were getting aired in the U.S. right around when Chrono Trigger was out. Just looking back and forth between the imps in the later and Pilaf in the former.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:27 PM
punch a fish, make a wish

I've been watching this with my girlfriend and it's fun because she knows absolutely NOTHING about Dragon Ball. everything's a surprise!!

she keeps asking me things like "why is that guy a little flying white baby?" and I'm like "he... he just is, okay"
Old 01-08-2014, 02:28 PM

Man, I've said for years that DB is better than DBZ. It's not even a contest. Remember when side characters like Yamcha and Bulma actually did useful things in the plot instead of being completely useless and simply being there because of some weird sense of nostalgia bordering on contractual obligation? Remember when the gang went on adventures instead of observing a series of escalating one-on-one fights that took place over generic backgrounds? Remember when Goku's sociopathic tendencies were charming because he was a kid who didn't know any better rather than being a father who was horribly negligent of his family?

Remember when Piccolo murdered the rabbit that Goku stranded on the moon?
Old 01-08-2014, 02:37 PM
Child of the Sun and Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
HAHAHA, what, is this real? Is this Vegeta?

I remember reading the Boo-Saga for the first time, realizing that the world of DB had changed. Instead of a mythical chinese world it became a copy of the real world. That made me sad. It was such a fascinating world at the beginning.

Aside from that, I like the fights in DB a lot more than in DBZ. Gokus fights in the tournaments were a lot of fun.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:59 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
Thus tainting manga forever for me
Sure did!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgo View Post
Much as I might consider myself a fan of Dragonball (and I do!), I never got around to watching the original show. Which is a shame, because even the most jaded (former and/or lapsed) fans seem to agree that it's Good Stuff.

I wouldn't mind watching a time when the pile of side characters actually mattered. The one thing I dislike about DBZ is how the entire human cast gets pushed to the sidelines.
Sharigans Saiyans only!

Actually, I wouldn't even mind if the humans were the only ones who looked bad, but really Goku is always the Big Damn Hero. They had a chance to have Gohan actually be the new hero, which would have been cool because he's a lot smarter than his moron dad and I'd be down for more excuses to include Mr. Satan, but nooo, turns out Gohan just slacked off in his training and the most he did with his power was be a goofball superhero who just was joke for a few episodes then he ceased to be relevant anymore.

Plus, Piccolo is my favorite character and he got the shaft for the most part, too. He manages to stay relevant longer than virtually any other classic character, but you know that at best he's just softening the enemy up for Goku to score the win.

Vegeta is a fun character, Saiyan or no. The rivalry between him and Goku is great. He gets humbled from being the Prince of Saiyans to being beaten by Goku to thinking he's surpassed Goku, only to get one-upped over and over again. To the point where he basically sells his soul for more power, and still gets one-upped by Goku.

For better or worse, Dragonball is more humorous. So on the bright side, it doesn't take itself that seriously. On the other hand, you have awful attempts at humor that are pretty embarrassing if you're over the age of 12. I don't seem to recall it being as poop joke centric as Dr. Slump, at least, but it had its share of groan worthy moments. Still, there's enough stupidity and humor in most of early DBZ that the comedy there generally works.

However, agreed that the actual fights are better in Dragonball. In that series, you get the idea that the writer actually is somewhat familiar with real martial arts, and even in the lunatic superpowered world of Dragonball, you see actual fighting rather than just standing around, powering up, and having guys teleporting around hitting each other at super speed because the fighting is just too damn cool for you to see it.

Hell, Z even ditches some of the most iconic aspects of Dragon Ball's source material. Since he's less Monkey King and more Japanese Superman, bye bye magic cloud and power pole. I think the former only shows up in the first arc or so and the latter only in one of the movies.

Dragon Ball arguably has a better track record with video games than Z does, though. Although Z has a long legacy of terrible ones that only kind of reversed itself after non-Japanese developers worked on them (although newer tech helped a lot, obviously.)
Old 01-08-2014, 03:09 PM
Peeper

OG DB is fantastic. I love the rounded, chubby design of the characters more than the hyper muscled freaks you get later on than Z.

Speaking of Z, if you have any desire to watch it, I'd recommend watching Dragon Ball Kai. It's Z, all the way to the end of the Cell saga with a ton of the filler excised. It also has a fantastic English dub, which is saying something because the old English dub of Z is absolutely horrendous.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:35 PM
ancient ceramic artifact

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorS View Post
OG DB is fantastic. I love the rounded, chubby design of the characters more than the hyper muscled freaks you get later on than Z.

Speaking of Z, if you have any desire to watch it, I'd recommend watching Dragon Ball Kai. It's Z, all the way to the end of the Cell saga with a ton of the filler excised. It also has a fantastic English dub, which is saying something because the old English dub of Z is absolutely horrendous.
the problem with kai is that is super censored even the original japanese version
Old 01-08-2014, 04:06 PM
That crazy bird guy

I love Dragonball. Remember reading about DB/Z in a magazine back in 1994, long before we even got the series to our part of the world, and it fascinated me.
When they started translating the books to Danish at the end of the 90s, I was hooked.

It then was the first anime series I downloaded and watched when I finally got a fast internet and big harddrive.
Still like all of it. Even Z, with its ridiculousness. Even the fillers can be pretty entertaining at times, I mean, that episode where Goku and Piccolo competes in a driving school...

As for the original DB anime series, it still holds up well. I even think the American dub is pretty cool, especially since it uses the original music(where DBZ just threw out all the original tunes, to make it more actiony or something).

Reminds me it has been too long since I've watched anything DB, maybe I should just rewatch everything ... even GT
Old 01-08-2014, 07:10 PM

Dragon Ball was cool because it was like a Japanese sci-fi fantasy version of Lord of the Rings. With waaaay less white people and wizardry shit. It's just too bad the production values have aged incredibly.

Dragon Ball Z still has excellent animation (at least with all the non-filler episodes). But all the sagas continued therein was nothing but extremely rampant adolescent testosterone. Vegeta and Piccolo managed to walk away with their dignities intact, along with a few more amusing characters.

Let's not even talk about Dragon Ball GT. What the fuck.

I am 26 years old and I am posting on an internet message board about anime I watched when I was 13 years old. Hooray!
Old 01-08-2014, 07:31 PM
Programmed to Jingle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixSH View Post

I remember reading the Boo-Saga for the first time, realizing that the world of DB had changed. Instead of a mythical chinese world it became a copy of the real world.
Uhhhhhh...
Old 01-08-2014, 07:53 PM
twinkling photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Dragon Ball Z still has excellent animation (at least with all the non-filler episodes).

A very interesting article on that topic. Funny how you don't notice things like that when you're an impressionable 8-12-year-old (read: the show's target demographic)

I'll always vouch DB through the end of the Frieza saga, at least in manga form. The pace of the anime adaptations is godawful (a tradition that's continued to this day), but the older eps have a nice "analog warmth," and some of the fights are surprisingly excellent when you trim out the cruft.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:57 PM
EARTH FOREVER

I was really smug about only liking vanilla Dragonball when I was a kid.

I was really upset when Krillin died and stopped watching forever.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:10 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodar View Post

A very interesting article on that topic. Funny how you don't notice things like that when you're an impressionable 8-12-year-old (read: the show's target demographic)
I don't like how that article lumps Ebisawa and Uchiyama in more or less interchangeably. I actually kind of like a lot of the supposedly bad examples of Uchiyama the article cites. They're not as detailed as the examples of good animation, but assuming Uchiyama was forced to cut corners to prioritize quantity over quality, he chose the right corners to cut. The Ebisawa examples more or less all just look like garbage. I can remember watching those episodes and thinking they looked awful.

I think a thoughtful comparison between Ebisawa and Uchiyama's approaches by someone who has thought about this would be interesting to read...
Old 01-08-2014, 08:15 PM
Half-Ninja

Apparently the reason that Launch isn't in DBZ is because Toriyama forgot about her.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:52 PM
That crazy bird guy

I remember some filler episodes tried to tie Lunch in a relationship with Tenshinhan. Unfortunately, if I remember right, those episodes were cut in the American version(?)
But yeah, a shame she disappeared from Z. I remember she being one of my favorite characters from the original series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodar View Post
Just read through all of it, and really damn interesting. I had noticed a few inconsistencies before, but haven't been able to make sense of them.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:25 PM
Safe Space

Quote:
Speaking of Z, if you have any desire to watch it, I'd recommend watching Dragon Ball Z Abridged.
The first few episodes are okay, but the team really hits its stride around episode 4.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:00 PM

The original Dragon Ball is awesome, but man some of those seasons really just dragged on. I enjoyed the tournaments, but the ones with the Red Ribbon Army were painfully dull at times. Dragon Ball Z is a lot worse about this.

I still love all the mythos and story arcs behind it all, though. It's a pretty cool story, and I'll never forget how awesome it was to finally see Super Saiyan Goku for the first time..

In fact, let me talk about that for a bit. Back when I was a kid in the 90s, my brother and I would get up super early to watch Dragon Ball. It aired at like 6AM on weekdays. We were both discovering this thing "anime" and how different it was from american animated shows. We were both huge fans of Chrono Trigger, and this show really made us appreciate Toriyama's artwork even moreso.

The localized version of Dragon Ball back then was really pretty butchered. There were a bunch of scenes removed (bulma's panties, a lot of Roshi's antics, etc), and much of the script was tampered with, and in the end, the whole first season was cut down to like 5 or 6 episodes or something. And that's all that would air on TV. Funimation, years later re-dubbed the entire series, unedited, and it aired on adult swim. I didn't see that version til well into my twenties.

Anyway, after some time, DragonBall Z began airing on Toonami, and was the most awesome raddest super badass thing ever. All these awesome fireballs, huge fights... super cool stuff when you're 11 or 12 or however old I was. I ate it up, and would rush home from school every day to catch the next episode.

Alongside watching the show, I'd look up whatever I could about DBZ on the internet. This was before watching shows on the internet was really a thing, beyond a few clips here and there. Even if I could find episodes, they would first off take days to download on a dialup connection, and secondly they'd be in japanese, and I couldn't stand the japanese voice-over after becoming so accustomed to the english dub. But I always saw pictures and heard stories about SUPER SAIYANS, and all these different characters, and adult Gohan, and Buu, and the androids, and Trunks (and Future Trunks?!), and all these crazy things, things I couldn't even really understand how they tied into the story. But the Super Saiyan was perhaps the most elusive and mysterious concept of all, and was something the show hadn't even begun to touch upon.

Anyway, so the Frieza saga began, and things were getting intense. The Ginyu force looked unstoppable! So when Goku finally arrived on Namek, you knew shit was going down. And in that episode he finally arrived, he was a total badass, dodging shit so fast you couldn't even tell he was moving! Then Vegeta mentioned something...
Quote:
Has he become a Super Saiyan?!
That's what I'd been waiting to hear FOREVER. Finally, I'll get to see the crazy yellow hair, the most baddest of ass things, the SUPER SAIYAN! I couldn't wait til the next day.

But then, the next day... the show started over! From the first episode!! Goku was going to his reunion with baby Gohan! WHAT. THE. HELL.

This was the most infuriating thing that could've ever happened. I was so upset. I think I may have even sent a letter to Funimation, I can't remember. I was crushed. They re-aired the same episodes. I think maybe they re-aired them AGAIN after it hit that point. Or maybe they took it off Toonami entirely? I can't remember at all. In the meantime, I would watch Gundam Wing or Cowboy Bebop (man Toonami was fucking cool). It was a loooong time, maybe a year or two, before the translation was picked back up. A lot of the voices were different (Vegeta and Krillin, most notably), but it was awesome that I'd finally get to see the rest of DBZ.

And then, that glorious episode, after fucking months of cockteasing, Krillin gets asploded and then Goku loses his shit. I got goosebumps all over. I think I almost cried. Hell, I get goosebumps just thinking about it. Then he unleashes this primal scream and his hair turns a golden yellow, and then that was it. That's the fabled Super Saiyan that I had seen all over the internet, in all the forum avatars, in all the AOL email accounts prefixed with SSJ, in all the horrible dragonball geocities fansites, but had never once understood how it came to be.

This might be the most dorky thing I've ever written, but man... it was the most perfect timing for me, being 13 or 14 or however old I was at the time. So. Cool.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:42 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Quote:
It also has a fantastic English dub, which is saying something because the old English dub of Z is absolutely horrendous.
I have 3 words for that.

The script, the censorship, the weirdness of the raw material, the Megadrive-like soundtrack--yeah, those are sketchy and weird, but there's plenty of talent in the VAs involved.

I don't care at all for Kai's dub, and some of the recastings bug me. Meredith McCoy's icy, slightly-playful bitchiness for Eighteen I definitely prefer to the Kai one.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:48 PM
does the Underpants Dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcodis View Post
The original Dragon Ball is awesome, but man some of those seasons really just dragged on. I enjoyed the tournaments, but the ones with the Red Ribbon Army were painfully dull at times. Dragon Ball Z is a lot worse about this.
This is very true. Dragon Ball has plenty of slow moving filler arcs that just draaaag. Hell, the very end of the series is really excruciating because instead of ending right after the tournament, there's like 5 episodes where Goku and Chi-Chi go on boring non-action adventures to find some Dragon Quest shit for some reason, and then it ends. I was absolutely bewildered with the ending to this show the first time I watched all of it.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:36 AM
Condiment connoisseur

Goku vs. Piccolo/Majunior at the end of original Dragonball is probably one of my favorite fights in all of anime and manga. Actually, that whole tournament was pretty awesome.

I'm with you guys and know that DBZ drags on like crazy, but for some reason I find it really relaxing. This music especially. I just leave the DVD sets on and get work or cleaning done and look up occasionally. "Marathon Feature" is one of the best things Funimation ever put on those DVDs.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:55 AM
does the Underpants Dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymooo View Post
Goku vs. Piccolo/Majunior at the end of original Dragonball is probably one of my favorite fights in all of anime and manga. Actually, that whole tournament was pretty awesome.
Agreed. I daresay it's the best fighting in the entire franchise.

Tags
anime , down with megathreads! , im flyin like goku , naaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiil! , ningen , over 9000 , puff-puff , read the manga , sparking!!! , supah saiyahjin goddo , the abridged series , yamchas all the way down