The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 10-15-2012, 01:55 AM
happiness is a wet cudgel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
I'm sure it probably happens either way, but some confirmation would be nice.
Yup, it's entirely unavoidable.

Quote:
I mean, the guy on the walkie talkie is the head dude from Crawford, right? Right? It HAS to be. Who the fuck else could it be? Lee even made a point about how he must've thought he was a bad ass when he saw his poster in the school, and the tape showed that every one in Crawford was scared of him. If anyone made it out of there alive it was him.
The Walking Dead Wiki pins the zombie hanging from the bell near the end as the leader of Crawford, C. Oberson. I'm not quite sure if that's true or not, but it would certainly make sense.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:59 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

That does make a lot of sense, and in retrospect that zombie matched the picture...so then...who?? ARGHABLARHG
Old 10-15-2012, 08:36 AM
Sudden chomper

Either way, it shouldn't be [person Alixsar was suspecting] because the first time that you hear him talk through the walkie-talkie is on the train. I'm seriously stumped for who it could be, but it must be someone who has been following you around for a while (and how could they do that while you're on the train??). I keep expecting them to drop a bomb on you in the form of "oh, it was THAT guy!", but I don't see who it could be, since pretty much every man you've run into so far has died (unless one of the St-John brothers can't be killed?). Eh, we'll see.

Anyway, general thoughts on Episode 4:

Something about the whole thing didn't sit right with me, and I don't feel like I got as much out of it as I did the first three. The whole first part is pretty sedate, which I guess is OK since you need some downtime, but nothing in there was nearly as memorable as the shit in Ep 3. The kid in the attic was definitely sad, but compared to killing Duck just last episode it doesn't hit you nearly as hard. I mean, he's already a zombie, and you didn't know him at all, so his story doesn't have the same punch. It sucks that Chuck was killed off-screen, and I was surprised that Lee never called Molly on that, since it was her fault for ringing the bell. The wall of zombies guarding Crawford was some pretty good imagery, and the whole idea of extremist asshole survivors was interesting, but it felt like a copout when they were already dead by the time you got in there.

I think what really bugged me were the reactions of the doctor and Kenny at the end of the episode. Vernon really came down on me, when the only lie that I told him was that I was Clementine's father (and how does he know I'm not?). Considering the guy barely blinked when Brie got torn to pieces, I felt like his criticism wasn't really deserved. I did consider his offer to take Clementine, though, because it's hard to argue that our group is a total mess and probably not the best place for her, especially after all the shit that happens as you're escaping Crawford. The other thing that bugged me was Kenny, who can be such a little shit. When I asked him to come and find Clementine, he fed me some line about how he wasn't sure he would, because I wasn't always there for him. Considering what we've been through, and the fact that Clem is a little girl that has been with him for months, you think he'd be a bit more supportive. I managed to talk him and Ben into coming along with me at the end, but that's it. I was really surprised to see that Omid and Krista could join you, I thought they'd have to stay back because Omid was injured?

As for getting bitten, I found it actually really anticlimactic. Lee's been fighting off walkers for months, and this is what gets him? I even checked the trash first, so it's not like he caught me off guard. In the end, I actually didn't tell anybody about my bite, though I couldn't quite say why. I guess I wanted people to focus on saving Clementine rather than worry about it? Either way, it wasn't the popular choice - only about 20% of people hid the bite. I was also surprised to see how few people opted to kill the kid in the attic, once again it was around 20%. How can 80% of people let Kenny do that, so soon after he loses his son? I don't get it.

Looking forward to Episode 5 to see how this all ends up, but I think that overall this one was my least favorite to date.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:59 AM
Can't maintain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
I was also surprised to see how few people opted to kill the kid in the attic, once again it was around 20%. How can 80% of people let Kenny do that, so soon after he loses his son? I don't get it.
The reason i did it? Kenny was on the verge of losing his nerve. If i let him off the hook here and kill this zombie kid for him, how can i trust he'll have what it takes to kill some other zombie kid when i really need him to? When someone's life depends on it?

Kenny's not exactly the most dependable guy to begin with; several times in the last few episodes he's been slow on the trigger or just not there when he was supposed to be. I don't need him to be even more unreliable.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:25 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohGr View Post
The reason i did it? Kenny was on the verge of losing his nerve. If i let him off the hook here and kill this zombie kid for him, how can i trust he'll have what it takes to kill some other zombie kid when i really need him to? When someone's life depends on it?

Kenny's not exactly the most dependable guy to begin with; several times in the last few episodes he's been slow on the trigger or just not there when he was supposed to be. I don't need him to be even more unreliable.
Yup. Kenny knew it had to be done but couldn't bring himself to do it. The last thing I needed was me jumping in and doing it for him AGAIN. It was something he could have control over so I made him do it.

Although part of me really did want to just use the wrench to save bullets but so far that hasn't been an issue.

So, I slept on it, and it makes sense that Vernon's group is gone. He mentions "oh yeah you guys didn't come by train did you OH NO REASON LETS GO OK" when you're on the roof, and then when you're in Vernon's place you see a massive amount of undead in the street...so I'm assuming the train attracted a massive horde and he saw that an moved his people.

Was I the only one who didn't really think twice about Brie's death? You hardly get a chance to know her at all. The part where they're talking about Ben and she says "Wait don't I get a vote" I thought "No you don't who the fuck even are you"...and then zombies ate her guts, so. I guess she was just brought in as fodder for Vernon to use as motivation or something?
Old 10-15-2012, 11:01 AM
Sudden chomper

I don't know, I mean it has been like 24 hours since Kenny had to kill/let you kill his son, I think the guy is allowed to have a grace period from child-murdering. Maybe I reacted differently because I let him shoot Duck? It's like, he already did the hard thing, I'll take care of this (much less difficult) task myself. And yeah, I wrenched him good. No sense making a ruckis, ya?

As for Vernon, you might be right about the train thing. But in that case, why offer to take Clementine with him? Didn't he say something about you having until that night or the next day to decide? It's weird that he'd say that and then take off in your train.

As for Brie, I don't remember her asking to have a chance to vote on Ben - but Clementine did. Did you leave Clementine at the house? Maybe they tried to shoehorn that interaction in even if she's not around, though it doesn't make much sense in that case. Actually, that whole bit with Ben really doesn't make a lot of sense to me, I think that's one of the big reasons why I didn't connect with this episode. Like, they guy's got to tell Kenny RIGHT FUCKING NOW while we're being attacked by zombies? And then we're all going to sit around and vote on what to do with him?? I don't think I found any part of that to be believable. Maybe that's why I saved him at the end, I felt like he was a victim of bad writing.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:59 PM
A Dream Beneath the Sun

I feel like Vernon mentioned the train because he saw it as a way to get his group out of Savannah (assuming they could get it pointed the other way).
Old 10-15-2012, 07:01 PM
heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Giant Head View Post
I just assumed that the horde that followed you on the way to Savannah had finally made it there and Vernon could see them coming from that direction.
Yeah, this. It's totally foreshadowing an eventual escape at the end of Episode 5.

I also made Kenny take care of the kid. I felt like he needed to deal with his issues there, and doing it for him would have just weakened him even further. Apparently it's a valid option to just walk away and not do either, which could have interesting implications.

I can't wait for Episode 5 now. I caught up on a bunch of the TV series last night and all it did was remind me of how good the writing in this game is. The show (and even the comic, really) doesn't come close to this quality.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:11 PM
heh

Tomorrow, you guys! Tomorrow!

I'm both excited and completely dreading it.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:27 AM
Sudden chomper

Argh, all these media sites are starting to post comments about the last episode and it's killing me to see links to their stories. And why is the PS3 version the only one that releases today?? Then again, it's something of a mercy for me that the PC version won't come out tonight, since I couldn't play it anyway and the waiting would be even worse.

Anyway, super psyched to see how this all wraps up.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:32 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Trailer. Minor spoilers ahoy!
Old 11-20-2012, 02:38 PM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
Minor spoilers ahoy!
Fuuuuuuck that!
Old 11-20-2012, 02:39 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

I know. I knew better but then did it anyway. It's not THAT bad but I think it's okay to skip.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:41 PM
Sudden chomper

Considering that I'll be playing this tomorrow, I think I can hold out.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:25 PM
heh

Yeah, I've got about 10 hours before I'm home and have it downloaded. I don't need any more convincing or hype to keep me interested. Tonight is going to be a hell of a ride.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:40 PM
A Dream Beneath the Sun

I broke down and watched it too. I don't know if I'm emotionally prepared to handle what's to come.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:35 PM
I say thee neigh

I finished the final episode today. The ending was... how do I put this? It was certainly poignant, but because it was exactly what I expected, I found the impact lessened pretty hard.

Still pretty good, though
Old 11-21-2012, 03:01 AM
Too Much TV Game

Predictable yet equally suitable ending. Strangely, having Clem NOT shoot Lee put me in the heavy minority of players. I just didn't want to her to end things like that AND to attract noise.

I wouldn't say I cried, but this final episode is suitably grim and features some tough choices. I'd talk more, but eh...let's have everyone else finish this up!

The overall series might be my GOTY, because no other game this year made me eager to jump in and devour (pun not intended) its content like this one.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:31 PM
I say thee neigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceTalk View Post
Predictable yet equally suitable ending. Strangely, having Clem NOT shoot Lee put me in the heavy minority of players. I just didn't want to her to end things like that AND to attract noise.
Yeah I was in the same boat. Maybe I'm just not sentimental, or maybe I figure the switch between zombie and not is like night and day (and not like Romero zombies), but I would rather spare Clementine the pain of having to pop me and the potential attention the noise would attract than be spared the weird existential angst of being a zombie.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:29 PM
heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceTalk View Post

I wouldn't say I cried, but this final episode is suitably grim and features some tough choices. I'd talk more, but eh...let's have everyone else finish this up!

The overall series might be my GOTY, because no other game this year made me eager to jump in and devour (pun not intended) its content like this one.
I had to make her do it. How else was she going to stay strong on her own? I hadn't considered the noise, though. It was just a thing that had to be done. Out of curiosity, how does it end when she doesn't shoot him? The ending titles were a pretty powerful moment in my version of things.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:44 PM
Sudden chomper

God damn. Just, god damn.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:16 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Quote:
I'm starting RIGHT NOW. I am so PUMPED

well in like five minutes I'm gonna get some water and stuff BUT THEN OH YEAHHHH
Old 11-21-2012, 09:31 PM
heh

Quote:

I sat down to play last night and didn't shift for 2 hours straight. When I was done I couldn't even bring myself to press X to get through the stats screen. I just had to sit and stare.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:35 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

AH FUCK I DIDN'T THINK THEY'D ACTUALLY LET ME DO IT

Well, like Lee said, it was my least favorite hand anyway.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:44 PM
Swag Brotagonist

Quote:
AH FUCK I DIDN'T THINK THEY'D ACTUALLY LET ME DO IT

Well, like Lee said, it was my least favorite hand anyway.
Try doing it when Lee is alone.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:39 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight View Post
Try doing it when Lee is alone.
JESUS NO FUCK THAT

I just beat it. Aside from a dialogue choice typo and the "final choice display" thingy being all fucked up (it just listed them as "Choice 1/2/3 etc and had the percentages but didn't say what the choices were...but interestingly nearly all of the choices were 50/50 or close to it), it was basically the perfect way to end things.

Except the SEASON 2!!!! post-credits cliffhanger but that's to be expected I guess.

I wouldn't have let Kenny do that had I known that "that" was "get myself killed for no reason". I thought he was going to kill Ben with the last bullet (which he did) and then get the fuck out of there or something but...what the hell, Kenny?! He just killed Ben and then got eaten by zombies. I don't feel too bad about it since it's how he wanted to go out and I'm glad Ben manned up before he died. Still, bleak as helll.

I guess it doesn't matter since you get separated from the group anyway. In the end, just Clementine/Christa/Omid made it, but who knows what happened to Christa/Omid? Molly too, I suppose...maybe? Vernon's a dick. Also, you guys noticed the Brie zombie, right? I was waiting for a Kenny Zombie to pop up but he never did.

Anyway, Season 2! I will buy it. If nothing else, I've heard that whole "Telltale gets episodic gaming" for years now and didn't believe it...and I still kind of don't believe it worked with their previous games. But! I think they finally did get it with this game. Each episode left me wanting more and more, even this final one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekun View Post
I had to make her do it. How else was she going to stay strong on her own? I hadn't considered the noise, though. It was just a thing that had to be done. Out of curiosity, how does it end when she doesn't shoot him? The ending titles were a pretty powerful moment in my version of things.
Yeah I'm curious too. I did the same thing, for the same reasons.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:10 AM
Justice is my Middle Name

Quote:
Yeah I'm curious too. I did the same thing, for the same reasons.
So my Lee was handcuffed and also only had one had so I figured it was good for her to just walk out. So as she's walking out, Lee's saying that she's doing a good job, and I think the last option I chose was to have him say "I'll miss you" and then Lee just closes his eyes and slumps against the radiator. BLACK SCREEN

guys so good
Old 11-22-2012, 12:24 AM
Nonplussed

Ooof.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:29 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

I couldn't bring myself to say "I'll miss you" even though I wanted to, because I knew it'd fuck her up if I did. So I said she was strong. Then she shot me in the face. My Lee only had one hand too, but fuck that. That's no excuse. In the end, teaching her how to make the tough choices was the last thing I could do. Still, it was pretty brutal.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:43 AM
is Earnest

Holy shit guys.

Tags
adventure games , don't click dead inside , famous , fuck you too larry , goddamit , helpful children , i can't reach that brick , lee is urban , telltale , telltale gutpunchin' , video games , we are the walking dead , zombies