The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 07-02-2012, 06:42 PM
I say thee neigh

Default It'll get worse: Telltale Games presents The Walking Dead

So I hate adventure games so bad that I could spit blood and am pretty tired of zombies in general but I don't give a fuck because these games are (so far) great and I wanted to make a thread about them.

For those of you firing up some kind of tired ass commentary about how the show sucks no duh it sucks but this game series is (so far) way better. I'd argue it's way better than the comics, too, because instead of having to read page after page of Kirkman's unnatural feeling dialog and set-your-clock-to-it tragedies, things unfold at a pace that's slow enough to let you soak up all the dread, while quick enough to keep things from getting totes boring. The guys at Telltale are mashalling all their writing know-how and their history of adventure game know-how to deliver what is, at two episodes in, the most compelling bit of episodic and narrative-driven gaming I ever seen

When David Cage stops scarfing down baguettes and stinky cheese and fantasizes about making a game with proper narrative branching and choices that have consequences, this is what he's trying to do. But possibly because he's crazy he fills his stuff with out of place future tech and creepy sex scenes and ghost kung fu.

Also the main character is a middle aged black dude. That's kind of neato.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:11 PM
Yes, let's feast!

From what I've seen, the game is less of a Sierra/Lucasarts puzzle-adventure and more of a choose-your-own adventure. In a good way. No obtuse puzzles, actual branching paths, choices that matter.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:33 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Dangit, my friend who hates zombies exactly as much as I do has been trying to get me into both the comic and this game for like, forever, and my defenses are breaking down. The game's the best way to go, then?
Old 07-02-2012, 07:59 PM
heh

After Telltale's last couple of disappointing series', this is a very nice change in quality. I loved the first episode, but haven't had the chance to start on the second.

I agree on it being much better than the show and the comics. The show's been terrible since the second episode, and I gave up reading the comic about a week ago.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:02 PM
Dinger!

After listening to them talk about this on Idle Thumbs (two Thumbs are the leads on the game), I really want to play it. But I'm waiting for them to bundle the season together.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:09 PM
heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karzac View Post
After listening to them talk about this on Idle Thumbs (two Thumbs are the leads on the game), I really want to play it. But I'm waiting for them to bundle the season together.
Just out of curiosity, why? I found the impact of playing the first episode then anticipating the second to be pretty effective. I think if I could just jump right into episode after episode I wouldn't take the time to let it sink in as much.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:11 PM
Dinger!

I'm hoping it will be cheaper to buy them bundled.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:12 PM
Not even a *nice* duck!

I don't know about consoles, but I think the only way to buy it on PC is bundled.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:17 PM
Dinger!

Oh whoa, you're right. I didn't realize that was the season pass price. I may still wait though; I've got enough games to play right now anyway.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:18 PM
Not even a *nice* duck!

I wouldn't be surprised to see it in Steam's summer sale, whenever that happens. Seems like Telltale games always get good cuts.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:20 PM
heh

Yeah Telltale has taken a different approach with this game to their others. Because your saved game persists between episodes, they've created a single game with DLC episodes as opposed to 5 individual episode applications to play. I'm hoping your choices end up making enough of an impact that it's worth playing through more than once.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:03 AM
contains words & diagrams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karzac View Post
Oh whoa, you're right. I didn't realize that was the season pass price. I may still wait though; I've got enough games to play right now anyway.
This same thing happened to my friend. He loves The Walking Dead but was appalled by the price tag for a couple hours max, and then bought it when I pointed out you get the whole thing for your money.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:20 PM
heh

Well, I finally played through episode 2 last night, and holy crap. I think Telltale has taken the perfect approach to horror with this game, especially for someone like me who is rarely ever scared by a game. I wasn't ever scared with this one, but there are a few scenes where my heart dropped right into my stomach. Things that just sneak up on you in such a brilliant way that my only response was to yell "what the fuck?!" to nobody but my television.

I have to say, it's a real testament to what they've done here that I'm making choices based on my honest feelings about other characters' actions, instead of "what would be the coolest option?"
Old 07-05-2012, 05:29 PM
Spear of Justice

Fun fact: Gary Whitta, former PC Gamer UK editor and screenwriter of The Book of Eli did some writing for this game. I think he said that his stuff doesn't really start to show up until episode 3 or 4, though.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:02 PM
I say thee neigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekun View Post
Well, I finally played through episode 2 last night, and holy crap. I think Telltale has taken the perfect approach to horror with this game, especially for someone like me who is rarely ever scared by a game. I wasn't ever scared with this one, but there are a few scenes where my heart dropped right into my stomach. Things that just sneak up on you in such a brilliant way that my only response was to yell "what the fuck?!" to nobody but my television.

I have to say, it's a real testament to what they've done here that I'm making choices based on my honest feelings about other characters' actions, instead of "what would be the coolest option?"
There's some downright devious shit in this one, in particular when you fight the first brother, and have the option of killing him, and if you do--unlike most games where it'd be like "YEAH MAN FUCK YOU YEAH" you instead hear your tiny child charge gasp in horror and she acts afraid of you for a little while.

I'm also kind of amazed how things ended up playing out with Larry for me. I hated the guy's guts, but when it came down to it, I tried to save him because his daughter was freaking out and I felt it was the right thing to do.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:06 PM
is Earnest

I've been meaning to post about how great these games are. My friends and I have been trading off controls and all yelling out what to do, it's really fun. They do lots of things right, everyone who likes games should play them.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:54 PM
heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by onimaruxlr View Post
There's some downright devious shit in this one, in particular when you fight the first brother, and have the option of killing him, and if you do--unlike most games where it'd be like "YEAH MAN FUCK YOU YEAH" you instead hear your tiny child charge gasp in horror and she acts afraid of you for a little while.

I'm also kind of amazed how things ended up playing out with Larry for me. I hated the guy's guts, but when it came down to it, I tried to save him because his daughter was freaking out and I felt it was the right thing to do.
Ha! That's kind of funny to hear. In my case, I didn't kill the brother, and Clementine kind of smiled at me afterwards for not doing it.

But, on the other hand, I did also try to save Larry. And that was the scene that got me the most. I kind of knew the salt licks were going to be used if I had chosen to kill him, but sure as hell didn't expect that he'd get straight up murdered while I started in on CPR. That scene more than any of them really threw me for a loop.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:37 AM
d.o_o.b

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekun View Post
But, on the other hand, I did also try to save Larry. And that was the scene that got me the most. I kind of knew the salt licks were going to be used if I had chosen to kill him, but sure as hell didn't expect that he'd get straight up murdered while I started in on CPR. That scene more than any of them really threw me for a loop.
Given how much time they spent in both episodes setting him up as an antagonist, Larry was the last dude I expected them to kill off. And, yeah, taking him out in the middle of the CPR QTE surprised the hell out of me.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:14 AM
Crazy Old Bird

I picked this up in the Steam Sale and finally tried it out. I've only played about a half hour or so but like it so far. Telltale's really picked up their game. Amazing what a little bit of agency can add to a narrative. I'm disappointed that the game has the "hit a random button" QTEs, but I'm totally on board with the "HOLY CRAP PICK UP THE GUN" QTEs. I don't know why games still keep ripping off Shenmue, when point and click games figured out how to do that sort of thing decades ago.

I can't believe I'm invested in a zombie game :/
Old 07-19-2012, 07:19 PM
Spear of Justice

I love how Activision is gearing up for their own Walking Dead game except it's a first-person shooter.

It's like...why bother?
Old 07-19-2012, 07:33 PM
heh

Seriously. Shooting zombies is something they hardly ever do in The Walking Dead.

Playing through episode 2 of the Telltale game, it's pretty interesting to keep track of how much impact zombies have on the story at all.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:35 PM
Espurrs are proud.

BECAUSE FPS IS THE BEST GAEM AND IT'S DARK AND EDGY AND

Yeah, I can't stand FPSes though this is partially because i think in third person and i cant do shit in first person
Old 07-19-2012, 07:43 PM
heh

I've got nothing against first-person games, but the format needs to be used properly. The Walking Dead is largely not about action, or even atmosphere, really. It's about the characters and their interactions with each other. It's really hard to base an FPS around that without completely warping the original content, which I'm sure Activision has done gladly.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:00 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Holy crap but this game is stressful. I can't play for more than like fifteen minutes at a time before I have to stop. That's a compliment, by the way.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:56 PM
Sudden chomper

Started this up last night and I've already hit a roadblock. I'm in the first episode, trying to get the keys for the pharmacy. I know that Lee's brother has them, and I've managed to turn the TVs on to distract the zombies, but I need that stupid brick to break the glass and I just can't figure out how to pick it up. This seems really stupid, and I feel like I'm being thwarted by the interface more than anything else, since I feel like it should be within reach, or else I should be able to get it using Lee's dad's cane, but I can't even pick that up. How do I tell the nerdy guy to just move so I can grab the brick?

That gripe aside, I'm appreciating the atmosphere, which is tense as fuck. The fact that they limit the time you have to make your choices and then autosave them is brilliant, since you really feel like you're reacting to the situations as Lee would. Sometimes, you don't make the best decision! I know that I sure let things go to hell back on the farm when Sean and Duck got attacked by zombies. I probably should have been able to save them both, but I couldn't figure out which objects I could interact with, and they wound up eating Sean. Once again, it felt like the interface was getting in the way...only this time, it actually made the scene better instead of worse. Kind of reminds me of those old "bad controls make Resident Evil scarier" arguments, in a way.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:01 PM
Jinxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
Started this up last night and I've already hit a roadblock. I'm in the first episode, trying to get the keys for the pharmacy. I know that Lee's brother has them, and I've managed to turn the TVs on to distract the zombies, but I need that stupid brick to break the glass and I just can't figure out how to pick it up. This seems really stupid, and I feel like I'm being thwarted by the interface more than anything else, since I feel like it should be within reach, or else I should be able to get it using Lee's dad's cane, but I can't even pick that up. How do I tell the nerdy guy to just move so I can grab the brick?

That gripe aside, I'm appreciating the atmosphere, which is tense as fuck. The fact that they limit the time you have to make your choices and then autosave them is brilliant, since you really feel like you're reacting to the situations as Lee would. Sometimes, you don't make the best decision! I know that I sure let things go to hell back on the farm when Sean and Duck got attacked by zombies. I probably should have been able to save them both, but I couldn't figure out which objects I could interact with, and they wound up eating Sean. Once again, it felt like the interface was getting in the way...only this time, it actually made the scene better instead of worse. Kind of reminds me of those old "bad controls make Resident Evil scarier" arguments, in a way.
Oddly enough, your problem is the padlock. If you haven't already, go see how Glenn is doing first. After that sequence you should have what you need.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:02 PM
Nonplussed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
This seems really stupid, and I feel like I'm being thwarted by the interface more than anything else, since I feel like it should be within reach, or else I should be able to get it using Lee's dad's cane, but I can't even pick that up. How do I tell the nerdy guy to just move so I can grab the brick?
I struggled with that for a while. Have you been to the motel? The spoiler is only a hint, not the answer.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:37 AM
Sudden chomper

If I understand correctly, you're both saying that I should go and rescue the asian-looking guy who left to get fuel with the walkie talkie? I kind of assumed that if I did that, Larry wouldn't survive until I got back, since he doesn't have his heart medication yet. I guess he'll keep while I go running around with reporter girl?
Old 08-02-2012, 09:29 AM
A Dream Beneath the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by onimaruxlr View Post
Same here, I took every dialogue chance I could to insult the guy, but when it came right down to it I couldn't just straight up murder him. The ensuing salt lick to the head was a perfectly timed WTF moment.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:39 PM
An Animal of Joy

Welp, I guess I'm going to be getting the first two episodes for free next week from PS+. Looking forward to playing my first Telltale game, I hear this is a good one?

Tags
adventure games , don't click dead inside , famous , fuck you too larry , goddamit , helpful children , i can't reach that brick , lee is urban , telltale , telltale gutpunchin' , video games , we are the walking dead , zombies