The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about food

Old 07-02-2012, 03:37 PM
le petite mort

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointzeroeight View Post
Had some really tasty tea today: root beer float. Stuff tastes like a root beer float, sans the fizz. It's pretty awesome. No idea how it would be as a hot tea, but it was great iced.
That sounds delicious!

I tried that Black Cherry Berry stuff and it was definitely not amazing. I may have over-steeped it, though; the tea bag was in there for about 20 minutes because I was writing and just plum forgot about it.

I'll try it again, but I'm not excited about it like I was before.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:07 PM
King Of Space-Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by gahitsu View Post
I tried that Black Cherry Berry stuff and it was definitely not amazing. I may have over-steeped it, though; the tea bag was in there for about 20 minutes because I was writing and just plum forgot about it.
Yeah I'm going to say you over-steeped.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:25 PM
gatchapon 3*

anything over 5 minutes is damn near undrinkable. i can't imagine forgetting it for half an hour =/
Old 07-02-2012, 06:07 PM
had a hammer

Tea......Earl Grey........Hot
Old 07-02-2012, 06:16 PM
le petite mort

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
anything over 5 minutes is damn near undrinkable. i can't imagine forgetting it for half an hour =/
That may explain why I think green tea is so strong and undrinkable but no one else has this reaction ...
Old 07-02-2012, 07:03 PM
gatchapon 3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by gahitsu View Post
That may explain why I think green tea is so strong and undrinkable but no one else has this reaction ...
green tea needs the least amount of time. like a minute or two.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:29 PM
le petite mort

Quote:
green tea needs the least amount of time. like a minute or two.
Oooooooh man, this is good information. Thanks.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:59 PM
Dinger!

Yeah, you way over steeped, but you don't need to be as concerned about over-steeping herbal teas, since it's the tea leaves themselves that get bitter when over-steeped.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:45 PM
actually an eevee

Add sweetener (fuck ya'll), teabag, water, walk to my desk, dispose of teabag. Slurp
Old 07-03-2012, 10:23 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaterite View Post
Tea......Earl Grey........Hot
Engage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady View Post
Add sweetener (fuck ya'll), teabag, water, walk to my desk, dispose of teabag. Slurp
I appreciate your enthusiasm, but I can't even imagine how that would taste good. Sweetener in hot tea? Blergh

And don't worry Gahitsu, even if you hadn't oversteeped it still would've tasted like asshole because "berry" teas and crap like that are gross.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:10 PM
Yggdrasicilian

When I drink tea in bag form, I almost always sweeten and add milk/cream. It's all weird and broken-up and whatnot anyways and extracts pretty unevenly, so sweetener and dairy helps cover that up. Loose leaf? I never use sweetener with that.

Also, since I don't want to double post...

Just placed an order with the US Yunnan Sourcing store.
http://www.yunnansourcing.us/store/p...id_product=204
I liked the 2010 sample I got. Hoping this one is as good or better, since I got the whole cake.

http://www.yunnansourcing.us/store/p...?id_product=65
http://www.yunnansourcing.us/store/p...?id_product=67
Been eye-ing these for a while. Since my elderly German neighbor has taken an interest in puerh (I gave her a little bit after she read about it) it gives me the perfect excuse to order some loose stuff to try. I wouldn't feel right giving her a brick of tea and saying "good luck!" and hoping she doesn't stab herself prying it apart. Hell, I'm less than half her age and I stab myself from time to time.

Last edited by Ryonin; 07-04-2012 at 10:44 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:41 PM
borgn

I oversteep the heck out of batches of iced tea, because the sugar and lemon take a really strong brew to not completely overpower the original flavor. I've gotten it down to the point where I can replicate the taste of artificially iced-tea flavored sugar mixture using a teaspoon of Splenda, a tablespoon of lemon juice and properly steeped tea.

ICE TEA MUHFUCKAS

But yea if you're just having a cup you can usually get away with a minute or so. Also: green tea is the most mild of them all, I don't even understand how you could find it objectionable (unless you're Super Bad At Tea).
Old 07-05-2012, 01:21 PM
gatchapon 3*

i'm just not a fan of the flavor of green tea. it's too grassy for me.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:03 AM
King Of Space-Time

I find this is my experience with any Lotus teas.

Sometimes I think maybe my pallette isn't discerning enough for green tea's gentle notes.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:47 PM
weird stuff

kombucha green tea with agave nectar.

Quote:
you can let herbal teas sit for 20 minutes or so for a stronger effect (like bedtime teas and such). black teas definitely get funky and bitter after 3 though, bleh.

Last edited by pencils; 07-14-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:44 PM
GASP

So after all this talk about tea I decided that I needed a sun tea jar for yummy solar-powered ice tea. I went on The Internet...

...and discovered that the lamestream media has apparently been covering up a global sun tea jar shortage.

$30-$50 for a gallon-sized glass jar with a spigot? And every single one I looked at had numerous complaints about the spigot leaking, breaking, cracking, being impossible to clean...

Okay, so what about a sun tea jar without a spigot, or, in other words, a jar? Still looking at $30 and most of those either had non-sealing or otherwise decorative lids (why???).

So I went on eBay. And found the same jar my mom used to have when I was a kid in the early 80's, never used, for $15. It says "SUN TEA" on it so you know it's not soup or coffee or radiator fluid or anything else you might find in your refrigerator, and it has a plastic screw-on lid with a spout.

Let there be delicious iced tea!
Old 07-24-2012, 08:44 AM
actually an eevee

Last night, we were at the japanese market and I was perusing the teas. I saw something that looked neat, but there was a photo on the front of a cherry blossom floating in water. Of course, my moon runes skill levels are still pretty low, so I could not tell if it was supposed to be a literal or metaphorical interpretation or the drink.

Turns out it was literal!
Old 08-04-2012, 11:18 AM
le petite mort

Old 08-04-2012, 11:39 AM
GASP

I'm loving my sun tea jar so far. This week I made a blend of Bigelow peach herbal and peppermint/wintergreen. It's delish!
Old 08-04-2012, 12:36 PM
Yggdrasicilian

That infographic is pretty nearly useless without knowing the sources of those teas. All those non-standard tea names have fifty million completely different blends.

Though since "Vanilla kush tea" only brings up cannabis...
Old 08-04-2012, 12:43 PM
le petite mort

Oooooh I didn't know it was cannabis. Now I feel silly. D:
Old 08-04-2012, 09:28 PM
Yggdrasicilian

That may not be what it is intended to be, but yeah, "kush" is a cannabis term. I'm sure it'd be perfectly relaxing in a liquid infusion. As such I suppose it's an tisane, and is still relevant to the thread.

Ambrosia seems to be any tea in combination with pineapple and coconut. And, uh... Yeah. There is a strain of cannabis named Ambrosia. But that's not surprising. I'm sure plenty of other things have varieties named after the food of the gods.

Northern lights? No idea. Though I am amused that this is also the name for a type of cannabis.

Super silver is supremely vague. I can only guess that it's what some tea company is calling silver needle white tea. But I could be totally wrong on that. ... Though for fun I did a search with "cannabis" instead of "tea, and sure enough there is a "Super silver haze" variety.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:33 PM
King Of Space-Time

thinkgeek.com has licensed Tea, Earl Gray, Hot.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:58 PM
Just bear with me

Iced tea is my bag. Arnold Palmers are especially great if you're trying to wean yourself from soda... these days, I drink that a lot more and the soda a lot less, and lost nearly fifty pounds as a result.

I tried to drink hot teas back when I was at the apartment, but I never found one that I really, uh, warmed up to. Maybe the brands I was drinking were at fault. I tried Lipton (ugh, yuck, gag!) and Bigelow (better, but lacking subtlety)... what should I have tried instead?

Also, back when I was drinking the stuff, I was one of those cheap-asses who brewed the same bag twice.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:04 PM
GASP

Is Teavana as ridiculously overpriced as it seems to be?
Old 08-18-2012, 04:04 PM
Yggdrasicilian

YES

Jesus, Teavana is priced to sell to people that think more expensive is more better.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:35 AM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

My caffeine of choice at work in the morning is Hot Cinnamon Spice Tea from Harney & Sons. It's made with black tea, orange peel, cloves, and three kinds of cinnamon. It smells like a red hot and tastes super sweet, so it's a good way for me to jolt myself awake while not needing any sugar.

We literally buy a pound of it at a time and brew it with those little paper teabags for loose tea. Worth every penny.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:17 AM
We just don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by upupdowndown View Post
My caffeine of choice at work in the morning is Hot Cinnamon Spice Tea from Harney & Sons. It's made with black tea, orange peel, cloves, and three kinds of cinnamon. It smells like a red hot and tastes super sweet, so it's a good way for me to jolt myself awake while not needing any sugar.

We literally buy a pound of it at a time and brew it with those little paper teabags for loose tea. Worth every penny.
This sounds like it is the best thing in the world.

IN THE WORLD.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:43 AM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
This sounds like it is the best thing in the world.

IN THE WORLD.
It is!
Old 08-24-2012, 11:15 PM
Witchfynder_finder

Every night, I like to wind down with a cup of Celestial Sleepytime tea. It might not be the most original nightcap in the world, but damn if it doesn't work. Unless you guys happen to know of something that might work better (and doesn't contain cannabis)?

Tags
20 minute brews , beverages , brew , chai-na town , iced tea bitchez , megaman , nam-fuckin'-barrie , now i'm tea'd off , num num! , tea , teatime , urine