The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 03-20-2017, 02:58 PM
Crabjörn

Iji updated.

The update changed a few things here and there (Attack and Assimilate are real stats to invest in again) but there's two major new things.

1. Passive mode. There are now alternate versions of the eight basic Nanoweapons, aimed to facilitate nonlethal play. Without spoiling too much, the Tasen ones are meant for dealing with foes more directly, while the Komato ones are more technical tools, particularly useful to those hoping to play a cracking-focused character.

2. Two new potential endings. One is available as a result of a choice you get by clearing Sector 9's boss without clearing Deep Sector and without being berserk (I just got this ending I was not ready for it), and one you can get if you clear the game while berserk.

If you haven't played the game yet, now would be a fine time to do so.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:04 PM

I picked up Etrian Odyssey 4 again, resolved to finally finish this damn game. I continued on my old save file, which was somewhere near the end of the third labyrinth. I killed the Boiling Lizard and made my way through the first bit of the 4th land. Now to go back and finish up some side quests.

This is a fun game.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:06 AM
Video Monster

Splatterhouse Wanpaku Graffiti for the Famicom has a boss battle in which you enter a room where a school girl is lying on some sort of operating table. Her belly bulges, and out bursts a swarm of spider-like creatures which you have to fight off. After you kill about 50 of them, the girl stands up, yawns, and strolls off the screen, as if nothing had happened.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:51 PM
Blue Comet

Toukiden 2 ish pretty fun
Old 03-21-2017, 09:07 PM
An Animal of Joy

We should play together. I'll send you a PSN friend request.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:20 PM
Random guy

I have a bunch of things to do tonight but all I want to do is play more Toukiden 2.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:42 AM
Mystery Contraption

One of the recent updates to Solitairica made it so it no longer devours my phones battery life like popcorn caught in a tornado.

Now I can play it while commuting or in a long line without needing to charge my phone immediately after!
Old 03-23-2017, 01:51 PM
Goodbye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
One of the recent updates to Solitairica made it so it no longer devours my phones battery life like popcorn caught in a tornado.

Now I can play it while commuting or in a long line without needing to charge my phone immediately after!
Hey, neat!

Too bad I already finished it work every character!
Old 03-24-2017, 06:48 AM
Tiger, Tiger, muddy dark

Super Mario Run is on Android now, so I played the first few levels of the demo. Well, it sure is a Mario game.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:32 PM
Mr. Autumn Man

Man, Spec Ops: The Line does atmospheric setpieces like nobody's business.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:53 AM
New Video World is out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
Man, Spec Ops: The Line does atmospheric setpieces like nobody's business.
It's a great game that actively enhances its greatness by being mediocre. It's a complete one-off in that respect. I'll never play it again, but I'll always remember it.
Old 03-25-2017, 03:59 AM
Blue Comet

Toukiden 2 is pretty fun; a respectable addition to the monster-hunting genre by incorporating an open world. Has Monster Hunter already done that? If not, Toukiden 2 might be a nifty first. ;o ;o!
Old 03-25-2017, 06:16 AM

Yeah, Toukiden 2's big world feels so much better than tiny zones separated by loading screens. The gauntlet has been thrown, Monster Hunter!
Old 03-25-2017, 08:52 AM
Mystery Contraption

Tales of the Abyss ain't even in the running for being my favorite JRPG ported to the 3DS, but danged if I don't appreciate how all out it goes in establishing what a complete dipstick the protagonist is.

He doesn't just have amnesia, he has amnesia so bad he doesn't know what a store is. He is genuinely clueless about every aspect of how fantasy world he lives in operates. He is constantly manipulated because it never occurs to him that someone might be lying.

Luke is an amazing, terrible person. Like a train wreck painted by Vincent Van Gogh.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Tales of the Abyss ain't even in the running for being my favorite JRPG ported to the 3DS, but danged if I don't appreciate how all out it goes in establishing what a complete dipstick the protagonist is.

He doesn't just have amnesia, he has amnesia so bad he doesn't know what a store is. He is genuinely clueless about every aspect of how fantasy world he lives in operates. He is constantly manipulated because it never occurs to him that someone might be lying.

Luke is an amazing, terrible person. Like a train wreck painted by Vincent Van Gogh.
They went overboard on his character. It's one thing to know absolutely nothing about the outside world, but he also is a completely spoiled dick head to EVERYONE! And everyone puts up with him, for who knows why???? Really was difficult to play as someone so unlikable, for me.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:21 AM
Mystery Contraption

Even that works because his amnesia is so bad it never occurred to him that living a leisurely spoiled life of splendor is in any way, out of the ordinary.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:30 PM
Mr. Autumn Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
It's a great game that actively enhances its greatness by being mediocre. It's a complete one-off in that respect. I'll never play it again, but I'll always remember it.
I do have to say that naming the villain Conrad was a little too "nudge nudge wink wink" referential.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:32 PM
#deadfish2017

Quote:

Sounds awful
Old 03-25-2017, 10:26 PM
albret einstong

A while back, I woke up very early in the morning, for no reason, and started thinking about Starseed Pilgrim, also for no reason. Starseed Pilgrim is a tiny little indie game that I played for a few hours when it came out a few years ago, before getting frustrated and quitting. I haven't played or really thought that much about it since then, so I have no idea why it popped into my head at 3 am on a Wednesday morning, but my weird early morning dream thoughts inspired me to play it again, and oh my god this game is brilliant.

The dream-logic revelation that got me to play it again was the realization that this game is a roguelike. This seems like an odd realization to have, as most modern roguelikes are very obvious about what they are and what they aspire to do. Starseed Pilgrim doesn't quite fit that mold, for a number of reasons. The first is that it gives you almost no instruction on how to play it. It is very similar, both aesthetically and in design philosophy, to The Witness (Jon Blow loves this game): it just plops you into its world and lets you play around and figure it out its rules. A lot of other roguelikes do something similar, but follow forms that make their intent much more obvious: there are usually enemies and weapons and a door at the end of the level that takes you to the next one. Starseed Pilgrim has no enemies, no violence, and no goal that is immediately obvious from years of exposure to other games, but play it long enough, and you realize that it follows the core loop of a roguelike.

Understanding the presence of that core loop is a big part of why I'm in love with it so much more than when I originally played it. When I first played this game, I hadn't really played any other roguelikes, so I played just enough of it to get frustrated at the end of an unusually good run and quit. Now that I have more experience with the genre, I'm more inclined to accept the failures as they come and appreciate the highs when they happen. It's also let me realize what the game does exceptionally well.

In most other roguelikes, death is a prominent part of the experience, but it's also kind of boring. You want to avoid it at all costs, but when it almost inevitably comes, there's no feeling except for disappointment. While death is almost as inevitable in this game as in other roguelikes, it's a much more interesting proposition here; without spoiling the mechanics too much, death isn't the end of a run, and in order to make any progress, you need to be planning for it throughout the entire run before eventually accepting the void.

There's so much more I could take about with this game, from its brilliant use of negative space to its beatiful minimalist aesthetics to the way its metagame flows so naturally from its core mechanics to the zen feeling that comes before embracing the void, but it really does work best if you figure out the game for yourself. This went from being some random indie game I had forgotten about to one of my favorite games ever (and inspired the longest post I've made on Talking Time in literally years). If any of this has sounded interesting to you in any way, please play this game.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:39 PM
Random guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendrick View Post
Toukiden 2 is pretty fun; a respectable addition to the monster-hunting genre by incorporating an open world. Has Monster Hunter already done that? If not, Toukiden 2 might be a nifty first. ;o ;o!
I made it to chapter 4 this weekend, and I have a hard time to stop playing. Graphically, it's not Horizon Zero Dawn, but it works nicely, and I have to say some of the environments are actually pretty neat (especially the floating platforms of the Age of War, mixed with medieval Japan).

I'm not in love with the characters. Well, Benizuki is pretty awesome. The others are kinda bland. I miss my husbando from the first game (Fugaku).

I did not care much about the story for the first Toukiden, but this one is actually not bad (though the two clans who fight each other is not particularly original). The new group introduced at the end of the third chapter will probably spice things up quite a bit.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:37 AM
It's all good, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
I do have to say that naming the villain Conrad was a little too "nudge nudge wink wink" referential.
I mean it's a straight up adaptation. There's nothing nudge wink about it.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:49 PM
Mr. Autumn Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
I mean it's a straight up adaptation. There's nothing nudge wink about it.
Honestly I hadn't cottoned on to it intentionally being that when I made that post. Although it's more a Heart of Darkness adaptation by way of Apocalypse Now, but tomayto tomahto.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:08 AM
All are Mr. Saturn

HOOOOOOOOOLY SHIT SHOVEL KNIGHT IS SO GOOD
Old 03-28-2017, 12:51 AM

I'm really enjoying Danganronpa. I even dreamed about it! So far my GOTY.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:26 AM

Battle Brothers is extremely charming. Gameplay is sort of a xcom-style tactical system and i didn't play a whole lot, but the real charm is just having every character you hire have some sort of backstory, with more emergent personalities coming from post-battle or other random stops in play with some pretty well written interactions. There's also some little mount and blade esque management within that.

I really only did play about an hour or two but im pretty impressed with it. Hoping to push through some more tonight and get used to it so i can restart on the "suggested" difficulty.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:57 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

Snake Pass is really cool. I like it a lot. If you're a fan of slithering or squeezing things, damn, you can't do much better.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:48 PM
#deadfish2017

I got Leg of Leg because it was on sale and...! It's really good! It's very nice to see an RPG not trip all over itself with endless story and plots and characters and cutscenes and just focus on good mechanics. Makes the train rides wiz by if nothing else.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:37 PM
Baby, I WANT Klonoa.

I got my Thimbleweed Park key for Steam and I've been stuck on a puzzle for the past hour looking for the right arcane combination of items to move forward with the game.

It's awesome. It'd only be better if the game had death or other fail states*.

*But there is a dungeon-esque area you can get trapped in and escape from ala Maniac Mansion so that makes me happy at least
Old 03-30-2017, 04:24 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASandoval View Post
I got my Thimbleweed Park key for Steam and I've been stuck on a puzzle for the past hour looking for the right arcane combination of items to move forward with the game.

It's awesome. It'd only be better if the game had death or other fail states*.

*But there is a dungeon-esque area you can get trapped in and escape from ala Maniac Mansion so that makes me happy at least

Yeah, it's a shame. I get why the LucasArts chaps moved away from deaths back in the day, but you can have your hilarious fatalities and be fair, too.

If I didn't have a (good) Android device now I would be so envious that everyone else (who's not Nintendo) is getting this three months before Sony.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:46 AM

For the last two weeks I've been playing Hand of Fate. You may know it from Extra Credits' "Games you might not have played" segment.

It's amazing. And addictive.

Basically you're an adventurer who came to a sort of afterlife analogy where your memories of all your adventures are converted into cards; The "Dealer" deals them out in a random connected pattern to form a dungeon, and each card represents an event - maybe bandits are accosting you, or you found an altar to the old gods, or you got caught in a sandstorm. The actual events are depicted via text and choices, as well as the Dealer's excellent narration; Choices are a skill check which is fairly close to a die roll but allows for skill, and combat shifts to a small real-timey arkham asylumy combat map. The result is a kind of an old choose your own adventure book experience with skill rather than luck for combat.

The addictive portion comes from how the cards work; Each event card has a token attached to it that can be obtained if you manage to pass the encounter successfully (e.g. if you killed the bandits rather than giving them all your gold). At the end of every run all your accumulated tokens get converted into more cards!

And of course the best part is that for the "Story mode", you must construct a deck with a limited number of cards. So the adventures you can potentially have in a run and the equipment you'll have to face them are partially in your control.

The story mode is wonderful in general. Usually it'll start you off with some hard to remove curse, which could completely transform your play style. And for every adventure in Story mode, once you beat the boss, it gets added to your encounters deck and you'll be able to randomly encounter it in the future.

And once you finish story mode, Endless Mode allows you to play with all of your unlocked cards, getting harder and harder as you go deeper. It's a huge blast.

Lastly, the DLC opens multiple interesting characters with all sort sof restrictions and playstyle changes. For instance, one has super low starting max HP but gets more max HP for every enemy he kills. And each of those has a unique questline that gets added to their deck when you play as them, which just adds interest.

This turned out to be mostly a review but let's just say I'm on around 33 hours of gameplay, and I let my roommate play my copy using Family Sharing - which means we both had to back off for the other to play - and he loved it so much he bought the game, and also the DLC, and also bought me the DLC.

tl;dr: choose your own adventure inspired board game with real time skill based encounters, deck building mechanics and fantastic content unlocking mechanism.

Tags
everything is awesome , fear of new threads , good games , just make a new thread , making threads is better , repulsive positivity