The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 02-08-2017, 11:35 PM
Conquers the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
paula abghoul and fred ascare

but really now I think of all the games that CVIV is probably the least grisly; most of the game basically feels like a video game adaptation of the haunted mansion ride from disney world, where it's all about 'pretending to terrorize' and stuff

i mean the game does go macabre in a few places but mostly it's ghost waiters and bat made of gold coins and a guy who cries when you kill his dog and floating horse heads
This was censored in the American version but there's also the basement/sewer area full of blood
Old 02-08-2017, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchobhar View Post
That's the point, though— Castlevania is a very goofy and very silly series, not some teen's power fantasy.
The darkest and bloodiest entry in the series lets you equip squeaky shoes and has an alternate mode where a child in a pumpkin costume goes trick or treating.

Anyone saying Castlevania is entirely super violent heavy metal missed a large part of the point.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:36 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

It's both! Just like Supernatural the TV show!

Which is now exactly what I want the Castlevania TV show to be like.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:02 AM
Out Of Warranty

Man, you guys are really hyped for a cartoon based on a Pachinko game!
Old 02-09-2017, 07:53 AM
Video Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
He also produced DREDD
This was a great movie, but 2000 AD pretty much invented grimdark, so it's appropriate in that case

...I wonder what a 2000 AD Castlevania comic would look like...
Old 02-09-2017, 08:25 AM
Find Your Reason

The closest media analogue to the atmosphere and tone of Castlevania --in terms of horror, humor, adventure, convoluted lore, and acting-- is the Van Helsing movie starring Hugh Jackman.

Make of that what you will.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:38 AM
Video Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
The closest media analogue to the atmosphere and tone of Castlevania --in terms of horror, humor, adventure, convoluted lore, and acting-- is the Van Helsing movie starring Hugh Jackman.

Make of that what you will.
Man. That was one of those big disappointments for me. I was so ready for that Castlevania movie. It let me down hard.

...was there a part in a trailer where he throws a crucifix like the CV boomerangs, and then that part wasn't in the final film? I feel like I remember that.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:58 AM
New Video World is out!

I fucking love Van Helsing I'm not even ashamed. I seriously saw that at the cinema like four times. Fucking carnage, mental. Absolute shit. Love it.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:11 AM
Video Monster

Maybe I should give it another try. I remember really hating all the CG effects. I haven't rewatched it since it came out.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:15 AM
the :motion: stands

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsDragon View Post
an alternate mode where a child in a pumpkin costume goes trick or treating.
i'm sorry what
Old 02-09-2017, 10:18 AM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
i'm sorry what
Old 02-09-2017, 10:39 AM
Mystery Contraption

Far and away the best part of Van Helsing was every given moment that either Frankenstein or Dracula were on screen. Those guys loved being in that movie.

Everyone else seemed less enthusiastic.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:07 PM
Interstellar Private Eye

I remember really hating Van Helsing the first time, but a second viewing proved me so, so wrong.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:13 PM
Chief Servbot

I saw Van Helsing in the theater for some reason and thought it was a perfectly acceptable movie. Bit baffled to find out it is so widely despised later.
Old 02-10-2017, 02:55 AM
Interstellar Private Eye

I guess we expected a badass action/horror film, and we got an adorably campy adventure flick. To be honest, I should've known better, considering it was directed by the dude from The Mummy.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:12 AM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchobhar View Post
Yep, Lament of Innocence had a pumpkin headed sack boy as an unlock. One of his hands is a piece of candy and his other hand is a cartoon frog head whose tongue he uses as a whip.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:23 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanfrugalj View Post
I guess we expected a badass action/horror film, and we got an adorably campy adventure flick. To be honest, I should've known better, considering it was directed by the dude from The Mummy.
Though, to be fair, Mummy handled campy adventure a thousand times better.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:23 AM
This Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Though, to be fair, Mummy handled campy adventure a thousand times better.
Pretty much this. I went in hoping for The Mummy or at the very least The Mummy Returns and instead got whatever that joyless pile was.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:47 AM
Video Monster

Almost done with Castlevania Chronicles. I loved the remix of CV1's Stage 5. In particular, the corridor leading up to Death, which seemed to be playing off of a player's knowledge of the stage it's based on. The general challenge is the same (axe knights and medusa heads), but when you get into the hall, it looks like you've left the castle - the background is mountains against a blue sky.

But as you press into the room, the background collapses to reveal the familiar ornate hallway! Then you walk past several large paintings, each of which have some sort of unusual animation. You really want to look at what's going on back there, so it's easy to get distracted and take a hit from an enemy. None of the background effects can cause harm to Simon, so it's all just a matter of staying focused.

The battle with Death was cool, too.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:15 AM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Re: Van Helsing.

Screw that movie. Jackman was incredibly bored through most of it, but its Dracula was an incredibly camp one who walked up walls as he paced, had an enslaved jawa army, and the whole reason for the plot was that his children, which were cgi bat monstrosities, were "born dead" and he was trying to bring them to life using the principles behind Frankenstein's monster. What? Also, the character designs for the Frankenstein's monster and Hyde were extremely overly large and cartoony. Maybe if the main character had a little more excitement for what he was doing. As it was, it was basically like he'd been at this for years and had no fs to give anymore. Either that he was mopey and moody because it was the early 2000s, and he was channeling Wolverine a bit except without a cast or more lively leads to frequently bounce off of.

On top of that, the only way that Dracula could be killed was via a werewolf. Which not only did he keep at least one under his control at all time, but Van Helsing got bit by, so he could kill Dracula.

Action scenes consisted of a whole lot of swinging on ropes. Lots, and lots of swinging on ropes. Characters fall great distances and barely get saved. Despite this, and sustaining other damage that would normally kill a normal person without injury Kate Beckinsale's character dies by...being lightly tackled into a futon by werewolf Van Helsing. I didn't even realize she died at first (no blood or wounds on her body) until they show her wide eyed, not moving, and a character explicitly states she's dead.

Then there's the awful ending where she's chilling up in the clouds with her dad, brother, and presumably Mufasa.

Oh, there's also the part where it is revealed VH is named Gabriel, and is strongly hinted at being *the angel* Gabriel. So the main character is an angel, who also becomes a werewolf.

There were good points. There was that scene where they recite the Universal poem about the werewolf. There was...uh...the game was okay. Also, they re-released the Universal monster movies in DVD sets, which was really cool to see. Otherwise, I can't think of much I liked about it.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:10 PM

So today marks 20 years since Symphony Of The Night first came out.

Coming off of watching movies like The Crow and Spawn at that age, Symphony Of The Night was like an introduction to the more romantic, mysterious and sensitive side of gothic art and storytelling. Soooo much content, so much goddamn content. Everything and the kitchen sink was thrown into this game. Just wish they had more engaging strategies for fighting enemies. Love the enemies, the sound design, the graphics...the benchmark for the series that still has never been surpassed. I remember being so into this game as a kid that I used to work out to a burned cd of the soundtrack on the little weight set in my folks basement back in the day.

Maybe I'll do something I've been meaning to do forever but never did yet tonight: one of those Luck runs.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:20 PM
Spear of Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
Maybe I'll do something I've been meaning to do forever but never did yet tonight: one of those Luck runs.
I started a Luck run over the weekend! Completely forgot it was the twentieth anniversary, so this was just sheer coincidence.

Unfortunately I seem to be stuck in the Marble Gallery, as the Medusa Heads in the Outer Wall are just chewing me to shreds. Perhaps I should head to the upper save room first before trying to get the Jewel Knuckles and Mirror Cuirass...
Old 03-20-2017, 01:20 PM
MOE~

Maximalist Game Design at its finest

😩 👌
Old 03-20-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sensible View Post
I started a Luck run over the weekend! Completely forgot it was the twentieth anniversary, so this was just sheer coincidence.

Unfortunately I seem to be stuck in the Marble Gallery, as the Medusa Heads in the Outer Wall are just chewing me to shreds. Perhaps I should head to the upper save room first before trying to get the Jewel Knuckles and Mirror Cuirass...
Hah, nice. I just did a run of the game a few weeks back so I could unlock the luck mode, also unaware that this day was coming. I ended up doing fists until I was able to buy a damascus blade from the librarian.

Despite my love for the game, I never really dug into an FAQ to figure any of the hidden goodies in most items and weapons. Do those two items do something special together?
Old 03-20-2017, 01:38 PM
Spear of Justice

Quote:
Despite my love for the game, I never really dug into an FAQ to figure any of the hidden goodies in most items and weapons. Do those two items do something special together?
Not as far as I'm aware. If you know the trick to reach them in the early game before you're "supposed" to (i.e. before you get Mist form), they're just an effective way to twink-out Alucard with high ATK/DEF stats, which seems pretty clutch for a Luck run.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:50 PM
Video Monster

Quote:
I remember being so into this game as a kid that I used to work out to a burned cd of the soundtrack on the little weight set in my folks basement back in the day.
The entire soundtrack? Some of those tunes do not seem especially conducive to bulking up.

But I as well had a burned CD of the soundtrack, or at least MP3s of all the tracks. SotN was a very important game for me freshman year of high school (2000), where I was fed up with people and the world, and the beautiful deadly world of Castlevania was the perfect balm for this angst. I got obsessed with hunting down every last item, enemy, and map %, to an extent I don't think I've ever undertaken with another game.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:55 PM
Spear of Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
The entire soundtrack? Some of those tunes do not seem especially conducive to bulking up.
It takes TRUE GRIT to lift to harpsichord-laden chamber music
Old 03-20-2017, 01:58 PM

something about the royal chapel theme was so haunting that I couldn't help but finish a few more reps if it was playing...as if this would be the last time I'd ever lift and death would come and take me quietly in the night as I slept....

but seriously, nah back then everything was still on CDs so just threw it all on.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:26 AM
Spear of Justice

Quote:
something about the royal chapel theme was so haunting that I couldn't help but finish a few more reps if it was playing...as if this would be the last time I'd ever lift and death would come and take me quietly in the night as I slept....
Requiem For the Gods is legit. Is "darkly contemplative" a music genre...?

Finally over the first major hump in my Luck run after grabbing the twink-gear in Outer Wall. Magic spells are essential for taking out large enemies (or just using Hellfire to teleport past them). I even killed Doppelganger10 with a single critical!

Despite the high difficulty, I'm enjoying how Luck mode is forcing me to use nearly every ability in Alucard's repertoire just to survive. I can already tell that passing through the Clock Tower later is going to be...interesting.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:45 AM
Video Monster

I've never done a luck run but it sounds awesome. I did once do a run where I limited myself to just the starting equipment, and that got pretty hairy later on (never finished it).

Tags
alucard , bloodstained gaiden , castlevania , konami , legend of curly's soul , miserable pile of secrets , status: alucart , succulent wallmeats , you must whip it