The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 11-26-2016, 04:14 PM
King Of Space-Time

Holy crap, check that Version 1 Satellite of Love

Old 11-28-2016, 01:07 PM
Video Monster

As I've never really paid attention to the KTMA era, I never knew there were lost episodes before I got that update email. Neat!
Old 11-28-2016, 05:25 PM
till the sheriff stops by

Well, there's a good reason not to pay too much attention to that era. As historically significant as it is, it's pretty bad. The first episode, Joel barely says anything and the KTMA era is unscripted. Joel spends a good chunk of it really going to town on some snacks. Also, despite appearing in the opening credits, Tom Servo never shows up and even Crow doesn't enter the theatre till midway through the "movie" (which is just four episodes of "Stingray" back to back.) In fact, the only reference to Tom beyond that is Joel calling to "Beeper", who some of you know as the proto-Tom who only speaks in beeps. Thank God they nixed that idea.

That leaves us with only one lost episode: the first time they did Star Force: Alien Fugitive II. So that's pretty cool.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:03 PM
Video Monster

Yeah, I knew the KTMAs were unscripted and hard to sit through, so when I started my marathon last last year, I started with 101. Even the first season is pretty rough compared to the rest of the show.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:57 PM
Drawerings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Yeah, I knew the KTMAs were unscripted and hard to sit through, so when I started my marathon last last year, I started with 101. Even the first season is pretty rough compared to the rest of the show.
Yeah it takes the first season six or seven episodes to get settled and until the last two or three to start hitting the stride the show would have for the rest of its tenure.
Old 11-28-2016, 09:46 PM

Season one is largely hard to watch. I do kind of like Robot Monster (a mix of them getting better at it and the movie being nice and silly) and Untamed Youth (which is helped a lot by the movie, while being bad, being pretty watchable.)
Old 11-28-2016, 10:06 PM
Video Monster

Yep yeah the two you mentioned were good, I also liked Moon Zero Two and Robot Holocaust. Also Women of the Prehistoric Planet (Hi-Keeba!)
Old 11-29-2016, 07:44 PM
King Of Space-Time

You know it just struck me how appropriate it is that the new test subject is named Jonah.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:11 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Yeah, KTMA has very little riffing in general. They hadn't quite hit on the format yet--likely more of what they did growing out of how Joe Bob Briggs and Elvira would host movies on TV.

Feedback from the early shows encouraged more riffing, so it ramped up. Creative differences came up between J. Elvis and the rest of the crew (he wanted to keep doing unscripted riffing, while the rest mostly wanted to script them) which resulted in him leaving the show.

Season 1 I think gets pretty good pretty quick. Robot Monster is hilarious on its own, so the riffing is pretty much gravy. Crawling Hand I dismissed when I originally watched it on VHS, but rewatching it I can appreciate more. Robot Holocaust I'd highly recommend as well.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:08 AM
Video Monster

DAGWON
Old 01-07-2017, 05:09 AM

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have a working youtube link to the following episodes:
107 Robot Monster
113 The Black Scorpion
206 Ring of Terror
212, 213 Godzilla vs. films
323 The Castle of Fu Manchu
804 The Deadly Mantis
805 The Thing That Couldn't Die
905 The Deadly Bees
906 The Space Children
912 The Screaming Skull

Thanks in advance I'm only missing these 11 episodes on my yt playlist.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:23 AM
Video Monster

I use ClubMST3k for all the eps that are not on YouTube. I've been watching the whole series over the past year and I found all of those ones (except Screaming Skull, haven't gotten to it yet) via that site.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:57 PM

Dark Horse has licensed MST3k merch AND a comic book. There's no news beyond that now but I'm really hoping the comic is them watching old public domain comics. In fact, that's sort of the only thing that makes sense.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:18 PM
Video Monster

A comment from the Revival League FB group regarding the premier:

Quote:
OK now that we've shaken off the hangover and had 4 hours of sleep, here's our recap. First and most important, Jonah Ray was the tallest guy in the entire room. Also super nice and fun. Really, every one of the cast members was fun to talk to. We got to meet and take pictures with all of them. Oh right, the episode! It was totally radical, dude. Our NDA's came with a script so I had to say that. But the reality is...any fears that people had about this not working or not being magical or having the same charm...GONE. Joel could not have a picked a more perfect cheesy movie to bring back MST3K with. Jonah and the new bots are fantastic riffers. The new Mads are great. Better than anyone could have expected. We loved all of the new stuff that I just can't mention but all of you should be so excited for this new show. Last night was a childhood dream come true. Thank you to everyone we met and had a blast with last night. Made it an amazing Valentine's Day!
It's gonna be hard waiting for this...
Old 02-22-2017, 04:06 AM

The release date for the new season is April 14th!
Old 02-22-2017, 05:47 AM
Kringle Machine

I can't wait for the not-too-distant future!
Old 02-22-2017, 08:21 AM
Video Monster

April 14 can't be here soon enough.

Incidentally several weeks ago I finished my full run of the original series, seasons 1-10. It took me more than a year, so it's weird not to have an episode or two going while I'm working.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:51 PM
King Of Space-Time

I just want to know when I'm going to get my video of the live preview they did.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:41 AM
King Of Space-Time

Hello Gypsy!

Quote:
So, when you think about it that way, there are a few questions that a newcomer might ask about Gypsy based on the past episodes, like…

Why didn't Gypsy appear more often in the theater and sketches?
Why did Gypsy appear to be “slightly dim”?
Why was Gypsy always voiced by a man?
Let's talk about those questions one at a time, okay?

1. Why didn't Gypsy appear more often in the theater and sketches?

This is such an important question. The thing to tell you is, when I first thought up Gypsy, I was mostly just wanting to create a really big robot – kind of like Sweet-ums in The Muppets. To build her, we used a baby car-seat carrier. That was helpful, because she was very lightweight... but she was also very huge and unwieldy, which made it hard to include her in a lot of sketches or bring her into the Mystery Science Theater.

This time around, we spent considerably more time and energy "upgrading her" to have more flexibility, so that she can do more, and participate more in the show. By flexibility, I mean we've got some really cool new innovations that allow her to do way more.

I'll leave it at that for now, but you'll see what I mean right in the first new host segment – and after that, I can tell you more about how we designed her.

2. Why did Gypsy appear to be "slightly dim"?

As you might remember, the old Gypsy was also kind of… simple.

Now, I realize that back in the day, we explained that by saying, "Most of her memory is dedicated to running the higher functions of the ship." So it gave her obvious mental challenges a little more context: Gypsy was very busy. Over time, though, I started to see how this was also keeping Gypsy’s personality from being able to grow, the way that Tom and Crow could grow.

The good news is that, since the old episodes, times have changed. Back then, it might have make sense that an individual robot wouldn't have enough processing power to do her job and also talk coherently… but now, the concept of "the cloud" has sort of solved that. So, I'm happy to say that while the new Gypsy is still busy maintaining the ship, she can also have conversations. That gave us the chance to pull her into more sketches, and to let her drop in to riff in the MST. I'm hoping that in time, Gypsy can become a little bit more of a "full" character.

3. Why was Gypsy voiced by a man?

There was one other problem, too. Over the years, I started to feel a little self-conscious that our “slightly dim” character was a female, but voiced by a man. Think about that for second. It sounds kind of weird when I say it, doesn’t it? And honestly, there was no good reason why she had to be voiced by a man, other than, "That's just the way we did it back then."

So, when we started making plans to bring back Mystery Science Theater, I became pretty invested in casting a woman to take on the new, fuller role of Gypsy. I wanted to find a performer who had the comedic chops and sense of self to embellish and build on what we already know about Gypsy, but also to take on new ideas from the creative team and writers. Just as important, I wanted someone I knew would be confident enough to "hang in there" and be part of the ensemble with Jonah and Baron and Hampton. And, of course, I wanted to find someone who was a fan of the show, and who I knew would help us care for it.

Well, man, I've gotta tell you… we found her.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:45 AM
Video Monster

That update made me so happy. Really excited to see this new Gypsy in action.
Old 03-05-2017, 02:22 PM
Lichotaur

This year's RiffTrax Live Kickstarter is live.

April 13th: Samurai Cop
June 15th: Summer Short Beach Party - something similar to last year's MST3K Reunion and the other Shortstravaganzas they've done. Currently scheduled to join them is Bridget Nelson and Mary Jo Pehl, Trace Beaulieu and Frank Conniff, and Paul F Tompkins
August 17th: A title they can't name until they reach their initial goal (sometime in the next week most likely).

If they have similar stretch goals to last year, you might able to get some extra downloads from their site for a low pledge. I think last year you were able to get 10 shorts if you pledged $1 or more.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:52 PM
Kringle Machine

I don't know if it's just in Canada or what, but a whole stinkload of episodes just showed up on Netflix!

Really good episodes too!

I can finally watch I Accuse My Parents!
Old 03-15-2017, 04:57 PM
Find Your Reason

It's giving you a month to catch up on classic MST3K before it is supplanted in modern memory by the revival!

So get to catching up already!
Old 03-15-2017, 05:40 PM
Kringle Machine

Waaaay ahead of you
Old 03-16-2017, 07:16 AM
Video Monster

Yeah that's a really solid block of MST. Setting aside nigh-universally loved Pod People, my other five favorites of those are probably:

Eegah!
I Accuse My Parents
Puma Man
Space Mutiny
Time Chasers
Old 03-16-2017, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Yeah that's a really solid block of MST. Setting aside nigh-universally loved Pod People, my other five favorites of those are probably:

Eegah!
I Accuse My Parents
Puma Man
Space Mutiny
Time Chasers
Castleton snob!
Old 03-16-2017, 07:39 AM
Video Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
Castleton snob!
So 50 years from now will be...3 years from now?
Old 03-16-2017, 07:43 AM
That bug is NUTS!

Quote:
So 50 years from now will be...3 years from now?
I'll walk back to the past!
Old 03-16-2017, 07:47 AM

Food courts... OF THE FUTURE!
Old 03-17-2017, 05:50 AM
Kringle Machine

Future War and Jack Frost have two of my favourite riffs too;

"You know, it takes place in the present and there is no war involved, but otherwise the title is very accurate."

"I guess it's a magical world Mike. *sighs* I hate magical worlds."

Tags
big mclargehuge , deep hurting , hi-keeba! , humor , it stinks , kill me with a forklift , magic things , mitchell , mst3k , noooooo springs! , rock climbing , rowsdower! , sandstorm! , stuffing vs. potatoes , thanksgiving tradition , watch out for snakes , we've got movie sign