The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 02-22-2017, 04:52 PM
Mystery Contraption

Dear Marcalan:

As the winter wears on, and thoughts of lunch remembered turn to thoughts of supper digesting, the men I serve with become crueler in their japes. Truly this war makes beasts of us all, but all my thoughts are of the delicious coffee I shall drink at breakfast tomorrow. Please send soft shoe-leather and the childrens macaroni-pictures.

Yours:
Pvt. Octopus Prime
Old 02-23-2017, 09:09 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
I was talking to the people who are reading garbage comics because of inertia. If you enjoy a thing, by all means, keep enjoying it. If not then stop being a masochist.
I got no time for comics that aren't Gunnerkrigg or Scary Go Round these days. I check Whomp like once a month. Kill 6,000,000,000 Demons looks good but I don't accept comics that are actually promotional material for blog section fantasy epics
Old 02-23-2017, 09:24 AM
is Earnest

I read through K6BD in a day and it was great. Then I tried to check an update like a week later and I was totally lost again. It's really much more well suited for reading in sequence.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:37 PM
:O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
I got no time for comics that aren't Gunnerkrigg or Scary Go Round these days. I check Whomp like once a month. Kill 6,000,000,000 Demons looks good but I don't accept comics that are actually promotional material for blog section fantasy epics
please read cucumber quest
Old 02-23-2017, 03:37 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Dearest Flawgic;

The knowledge that you haven't had breakfast fills my heart with sorrow. I ate a slice of banana bread and a spiced latte from a Starbucks, as they were out of my preferred sandwich. The men's morale is flagging. Please send saltpetre and hard-tack.

Yours;
Octopus Prime
Dearest Octo,

My heart bleeds when I hear of that the morale of our brave men and soldiers is flagging. This missive should arrive with several barrels of saltpetre and hard-tack. My dearest hope is that the arrival of these much needed provisions will bolster the spirits of both you and those you serve with. It is a comfort to know that even in these trying and difficult times one can obtain a small measure of solace with a hearty Starbucks spice latte and slice of banana bread.

Work here is difficult, as it always is, moreso with you gone. Our larders are so bare that I made due with only a single can of La Croix to fend off the aches and pangs of hunger. Though nothing can hold off the pangs my heart feels knowing you remain out there on the cold front. We persevere.

Truly Yours,

Falselogic
Old 02-23-2017, 03:57 PM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodal View Post
please read cucumber quest
I have tried.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:14 PM
:O

Quote:
I have tried.
try harder
Old 02-23-2017, 04:27 PM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Dearest Octo,

My heart bleeds when I hear of that the morale of our brave men and soldiers is flagging. This missive should arrive with several barrels of saltpetre and hard-tack. My dearest hope is that the arrival of these much needed provisions will bolster the spirits of both you and those you serve with. It is a comfort to know that even in these trying and difficult times one can obtain a small measure of solace with a hearty Starbucks spice latte and slice of banana bread.

Work here is difficult, as it always is, moreso with you gone. Our larders are so bare that I made due with only a single can of La Croix to fend off the aches and pangs of hunger. Though nothing can hold off the pangs my heart feels knowing you remain out there on the cold front. We persevere.

Truly Yours,

Falselogic
Dearest Falselogic:

Your provisions have been a light in our dark hours. The men made merry for days gambling for the biscuits under lantern light after a hard days march. But though their mood is light, I can see the exhaustion beneath it. I had also written to our friend Marcalan, hoping his supply of shoe leather and macaroni would be of aid, but no response has since come. I fear he has been struck by the gout.

The men are alternating days without sleep and keeping watch and I worry for the youngest. Please send a book of knock-knock jokes and gravy.

Yours;
Octopus Prime
Old 02-23-2017, 06:51 PM
Remembers Love

K6BD works better than Unsounded as far as each discrete update being compelling and coherent, but that's not saying much.

Also, the LARPers in the comments section are weird.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:38 AM

Default Webcomic thread for talking about webcomics

Quote:
Dear Marcalan:

As the winter wears on, and thoughts of lunch remembered turn to thoughts of supper digesting, the men I serve with become crueler in their japes. Truly this war makes beasts of us all, but all my thoughts are of the delicious coffee I shall drink at breakfast tomorrow. Please send soft shoe-leather and the childrens macaroni-pictures.

Yours:

Pvt. Octopus Prime

Dearest Octo Prime,

I hope this letter finds you well and in good health. I would have replied sooner, but the enemy has resumed shelling the city and now has released several packs of their ripperhounds, so we are forced to hide from their red eyed gaze. Thankfully their high pitched, laughing-like barks alert us well before they arrive, so we have time to hide and fortify our doors. You will find several crates of soft shoe leather along with this letter and the pictures the children made out of macaroni.

Your friend,

Marcalan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-24-2017, 07:47 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Dearest Internet Weirdoes,

Colonel Prime, your randomized punctuation is driving the men to distraction. Please, for the love of God, stop this madness.

Private Logic, you can't possibly hope to catch up to the Colonel's post-count with the kind of 1:1 shit-posting ratio that this correspondence leads to.

Git gud,

JBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcalan View Post
This is very funny here.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:14 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
Dearest Internet Weirdoes,

Colonel Prime, your randomized punctuation is driving the men to distraction. Please, for the love of God, stop this madness.

Private Logic, you can't possibly hope to catch up to the Colonel's post-count with the kind of 1:1 shit-posting ratio that this correspondence leads to.

Git gud,

JBear

This is very funny here.
Dear Friend JBear,

Your short missive reached me at the most fortuitous moment just as I was about to slip into the blackest melancholy. Thankfully your letter arrived like a single ray of brilliant sun through a dark and cloudy sky. I'm heartened by your concern both for myself and the Colonel. Please not that while things here remain cruel your good wishes raise my spirit, if only a little.

Yours Truly,

False "Flawgic" Logic
Old 02-24-2017, 10:26 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Dearest Falselogic:

Your provisions have been a light in our dark hours. The men made merry for days gambling for the biscuits under lantern light after a hard days march. But though their mood is light, I can see the exhaustion beneath it. I had also written to our friend Marcalan, hoping his supply of shoe leather and macaroni would be of aid, but no response has since come. I fear he has been struck by the gout.

The men are alternating days without sleep and keeping watch and I worry for the youngest. Please send a book of knock-knock jokes and gravy.

Yours;
Octopus Prime
My Dearest Octo,

It breaks our hearts to hear the misfortunes you and yours labor under out there in the Wilds. Please know that both our thoughts and prayers are always with you and your men.

Please find enclosed not one but two knock-knock joke books I was able to acquire, at great expense, I apologize that one of them seems to have been filled with the scrawlings of an idiot savant, his signature 'Jbear' is on near every page is written in what I can only assume is a half chewed up purple crayon. This confrontation has been hard and getting supplies has been difficult. Even for things as frivolous and diversionary as a joke book. Knowing that your men are entertained and laughing though is plenty comfort for the meals I must now miss.

Sadly, I was unable to secure a source of gravy for the men. I knew the costs would be dear for such an item but even finding some proved an insurmountable task. Amongst the ruder sorts in town an alternative has been devised that while crude is effective. They simply gather bundles of pine needles and boil them to extract the pitch and resin this the mix with some shoe leather and chicken bones. They call it 'pine gruel' and exclaim its taste superior to true gravy but having tried it I can assure these are idle boasts.

If perchance you are able to contact marcalan please let him know that our prayers are also with him and that a fine tincture of rosebuds and laudanum is a true remedy for gout.

Always,

Flawgic
Old 02-27-2017, 07:51 PM
contains words & diagrams

oh fuck, The Last Halloween is finally back. After Kris decided to hiatus Broodhollow I wasn't sure if I was ever gonna get my spookums comics back.
Old 02-28-2017, 04:37 AM
Mystery Contraption

I've learned that, apparently the vast bulk of Atomic Robos entire publication history has been released in WebComic form right here. Looks like everything up to the side-stories from Temple of Od is up, which is several entire arcs past where I'd stop being able to find trades.

In summation;

Hooray!

Last edited by Octopus Prime; 02-28-2017 at 05:01 AM.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:59 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Default THAT MEANS I HAVE BEEN DIMLY AWARE OF WILLIS LONGER THAN I HAVE OF TOASTYFROG.

Quote:
Isn't he like 40 and a father at this point? Maybe doing some gags about INFANTS BE CRYING Y'ALL would be the tonic his work needs.
Fucking hell I just realized that I was first exposed to a Willis comic when I was a Sophmore in high school. I clicked through his thing and was like "huh a comic about college but I am in high school and don't give a shit".

I turn 32 next month and Willis is still writing comics about college.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by conchobhar View Post
Much like Jeph, Willis is undone by his inability to reconcile his desire to tell a serious story with his zany cartoon instincts. Even as someone who enjoyed his earlier work, I never took to Dumbing of Age, because it's his project that's been worst at threading the needle.
I have been saying this for literally years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT IN FUCKING 2012 View Post
David Willis is a talented funny guy who dearly wants to write daytime soap operas.

He is a man tragically out of place, torn between his heart and his mind.

Last edited by BEAT; 02-28-2017 at 07:16 AM. Reason: BECAUSE I DISCOVERED TOASTYFROG, WHICH EVENTUALLY LEAD TO GAMESPITE AND TALKING TIME AS A JUNIOR IN HIGH SCHOOL.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:00 AM

Quote:
I've learned that, apparently the vast bulk of Atomic Robos entire publication history has been released in WebComic form right here.
FUCK YES I WILL READ THE SHIT OUTTA THIS.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:27 AM

Default God I fuckin love irritability.

Unrelated to everything else, Irritability is still updating with "Bad Comics" literally half a decade after it's last "real" comic update and it's still the fucking best.

THE BEST!

THE BEST I TELL YA!!
Old 02-28-2017, 08:32 AM
Mystery Contraption

Sometimes the Random Button on Dinosaur Comics gives you a sobering pause at the rapid changes to society technology can often summon;

Old 02-28-2017, 09:41 PM
oh my car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post
Unrelated to everything else, Irritability is still updating with "Bad Comics" literally half a decade after it's last "real" comic update and it's still the fucking best.

THE BEST!

THE BEST I TELL YA!!
After literally half a decade, I still have no idea how to navigate his site, and it's making me sad because I'm missing bad comix.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:26 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

The latest What If is grand! Even includes those talking time darlings the McElroy Brothers!
Old 03-11-2017, 07:31 AM

Default Webcomic thread for talking about webcomics

Devil's Candy: Proving once again that teens really shouldn't right songs.

Old 03-31-2017, 01:10 AM
post-mystic lich princess

It Hurts!! is five or so (non-scheduled) updates from ending. A wide number of vulgar and immature kids paired with some of the cruelest cosmology around by all means shouldn't work anywhere near as well as it has in this. The lede is extremely buried if you're coming in late and reading from the start, though, for better or worse- the second arc is exceedingly dramatic.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Bill View Post
After literally half a decade, I still have no idea how to navigate his site, and it's making me sad because I'm missing bad comix.
In honor of bongor's sacrifice, I present the FOOD SHOOTING TEENS arc.

Also it's not that hard to navagate the site, you just go to The main page and click on either "archives" or "bad".
Old 03-31-2017, 09:42 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatterdemalion View Post
It Hurts!! is five or so (non-scheduled) updates from ending. A wide number of vulgar and immature kids paired with some of the cruelest cosmology around by all means shouldn't work anywhere near as well as it has in this. The lede is extremely buried if you're coming in late and reading from the start, though, for better or worse- the second arc is exceedingly dramatic.
The big twist at the end of chapter one led someone whose taste I had trusted to chew trough the painfully rough first hundred updates or so. The comic feels like it's from the wrong decade somehow.
Old 04-03-2017, 12:12 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Default it's a good one. Take that Space Nerds! Alt Title: Suns - How do they Work?

Old 04-03-2017, 12:45 PM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Even our keenest minds are unable to understand it.
Old 04-11-2017, 02:07 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Default Today in Sluggy Freelance

I was reminded today that this exists. These sure are some word balloons.

20 years.

20 years.
Old 04-11-2017, 03:58 PM
the :motion: stands

Quote:
I was reminded today that this exists. These sure are some word balloons.

20 nifty years.

20 nifty years.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:59 PM
Out Of Warranty

Quote:
20 years.

20 years.
True confession, I like Sluggy Freelance.

That is, in spite of its own too weighty and overwhelming continuity. Seriously, I've been reading the strips since 1999, and I have to think hard sometimes to make sense of what the heck is happening because continuity. And frankly, if I hadn't been following it for eighteen years now, I'd have jumped ship a couple years ago...

SF has some good ideas, and that strip where they resurrect Zoe is one of the coolest payoffs in comics ever, but it has gone too long for its own good. Apparently Abrams shares that opinion and that's why it is ending this year. But I won't believe that until I see its cold corpse.

Tags
comics , cucumber quest , die in obscurity , fear of crowdfunding , fear of new threads , horrible carrot noses , kc green suicide watch , lim-bo! , penny arcade , webcomics