The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 05-16-2018, 08:34 AM
Sudden chomper

Based on the swell of support here, the other day I watched a few more episodes of The Good Place. It is, in fact, pretty Good. But it isn't 100% my kind of humor; a lot of the story beats come from someone having a secret they don't want revealed and me and my girlfriend aren't huge fans of that. I'll probably watch some more next time I'm looking for a comedy, but I don't think I'm going to enjoy this as much as B99.

Last night I was home alone, so I watched half of the second season of Attack on Titan. =O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voncaster View Post
I watched the last season of the Wire on amazon prime by accident. I started with what I thought was S1E1, but it was S5E1. I liked it. I probably didn't realize that I was watching S5 till episode 5 or 6. At that point I wanted to see how the current storyline resolved. Unsure if I'm going to go back to S1-S4 given that I know the ending.
Oh my GOD watch the first four season of The Wire, they are so good. It isn't about the destination, it's about the journey. Becuase (SPOILER) in every case the ending just comes down to the system doesn't care about people and nothing ever changes.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:36 AM
of the Black Falcons

Skipping the first four seasons of The Wire is a crime. However, if you go back and watch them now the judge will let you off with light community service.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:03 AM
It's dog eat dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
Based on the swell of support here, the other day I watched a few more episodes of The Good Place. It is, in fact, pretty Good. But it isn't 100% my kind of humor; a lot of the story beats come from someone having a secret they don't want revealed and me and my girlfriend aren't huge fans of that.
The show evolves past that phase pretty quickly, and in fact eventually turns that whole form of humor on its head. Can't say much else without some mondo spoilers.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:25 AM
of the Black Falcons

As much as I would hate hearing this if I was in your position, you really can't judge The Good Place based on the first few episodes, or even the first bunch of episodes.

It kind of sucks that it's impossible to tell people who haven't seen the show why they should watch it!
Old 05-16-2018, 09:59 AM
Senhor Member

You could just tell them why they should watch it and then they would. Their experience of the show would be fine. I knew the Shocking Twist before I watched the show. (far be it from me to encourage someone to watch another television show, though. too many!)
Old 05-16-2018, 10:19 AM
does the Underpants Dance

Quote:
Based on the swell of support here, the other day I watched a few more episodes of The Good Place. It is, in fact, pretty Good. But it isn't 100% my kind of humor; a lot of the story beats come from someone having a secret they don't want revealed and me and my girlfriend aren't huge fans of that. I'll probably watch some more next time I'm looking for a comedy, but I don't think I'm going to enjoy this as much as B99.
I had similar trepidations when I started watching it, but eventually it starts flipping stuff in really interesting ways. I haven't actually finished the first season yet, but it's definitely a pretty different thing going on at this point.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:57 AM
Mystery Contraption

I was completely on board with The Good Place when they revealed what I figured was going to be the seasons big twist halfway through the first episode. And every episode just kept right on twisting from there.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:35 PM

Well I've got quite a few recommendations of S1-S4 of the Wire. So I will get back into the Wire at some point. Probably after I've finished watching S1 of Riverdale.

Thank you for the responses.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:39 PM
Nonplussed

Quote:
If you do end up tapping out, you should probably at least watch the season 2 episode, "The Trolley Problem".
Old 05-17-2018, 06:19 AM
Sudden chomper

All right, all right, I'll keep going. I am enjoying the show, I'm just not hooked yet. If there are some major surprises coming, I'll keep going until I've seen them.

But it is kind of a drag that after 6 episodes I still haven't gotten to the big stuff. You can't expect everyone to have that kind of patience!
Old 05-17-2018, 06:23 AM
It's dog eat dog

Anyone watch Superstore? It's been on for a few years but nobody ever seems to talk about it. It's pretty funny right off the bat, has sort of a retail sector Parks & Rec vibe, though I don't know if it gets quite as good. Mark McKinney's character would be the most annoying shit ever if he were not played by Mark McKinney, who just tears into the role. And since the premise is a built-in excuse for product placement, the show will probably last forever.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:28 AM
Phantastic Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavelsAreNeat View Post
You could just tell them why they should watch it and then they would.
Unless they were me, in which case they categorically would not, and would have several angry words to offer you in thanks for your spoilers. I watched it not all that long ago going in completely blind, and I'd be incensed if someone had chosen to rob me of that. If fact, I'd be kind of peeved just with all of this talk of "twists".

That said, it sure would be swell if Netflix added season 2 already.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:47 AM
Outraged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonetrope View Post
Anyone watch Superstore? It's been on for a few years but nobody ever seems to talk about it. It's pretty funny right off the bat, has sort of a retail sector Parks & Rec vibe, though I don't know if it gets quite as good. Mark McKinney's character would be the most annoying shit ever if he were not played by Mark McKinney, who just tears into the role. And since the premise is a built-in excuse for product placement, the show will probably last forever.
I usually watch a few minutes towards the end of each episode when I remember AP Bio is (was?) a thing. Generally enjoyable. I liked the one where they found the hidden stockroom full of recalled products.

Tags
bingewatch purgatory , fear of new threads , sex house , television