The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 05-16-2018, 06:31 AM
クソゲーが好な人

Similarly, the Famicom version of the first TMNT game apparently came out in Japan after the cartoon animation models had been designed, but before the overall launch of the TMNT franchise in Japan:

That's why it's called "Gekikame Ninjaden" and doesn't use the characteristic TMNT logo, which Konami would use on the FC releases of both of the following TMNT carts.

Also I would have voted for the box art for TMNT (NES), but Wildcat headed me off at the pass by calling it out specifically as using pre-existing artwork. Dang! I always liked that cover. Even if it doesn't have much relationship to the game inside.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:42 AM
Not a Beer

I actually thought I voted for this one, but looking at my list I apparently just barely cut it... Anyway, it's a great piece of art.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:08 AM
IRIS Photojournalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Also I would have voted for the box art for TMNT (NES), but Wildcat headed me off at the pass by calling it out specifically as using pre-existing artwork. Dang! I always liked that cover. Even if it doesn't have much relationship to the game inside.
It is a good cover! I would have probably considered it myself. But I felt it was more in line with the spirit of the idea to keep the contest limited to assets created for a game versus one that recycled its artwork from elsewhere.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:30 AM
クソゲーが好な人

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatJF View Post
It is a good cover! I would have probably considered it myself. But I felt it was more in line with the spirit of the idea to keep the contest limited to assets created for a game versus one that recycled its artwork from elsewhere.
No, yeah, your criteria were fair!
Old 05-16-2018, 10:41 AM
-ryn

I didn't even think of Turtles in Time. that's a shame. I'm with JBear, cool box with lots of great details. Also agree that the style is something between the comic (which I had no exposure to) and the cartoon (which I had way too much exposure to) and that's pretty cool.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:39 PM
IRIS Photojournalist

#38 Metroid Zero Mission (GBA, NA, 2004, Nintendo)
Created by Yasuo Inoue, Sachiko Nakamichi, Yasuko Takahashi
Votes: 2 for 52 points
Highest: WildcatJF (#5)

Ah, one that really speaks to the curator's heart; Metroid Zero Mission. To me, I feel that this is the best representation of Samus Aran and the Metroid franchise in terms of a box; Samus stands out with a great action pose and a very distinctive art style that features thick lines and comic book touches to accentuate her; the background plays off of strong coloration and some intriguing environmental pieces; and Ridley hovers somewhat transparently above it all, serving his role as an overarching antagonistic foil to Samus' bold heroism.

You'll see I had this at #5. I love it so much that when I got my Festivus gift from last year I was floored:

I mean, that was some foresight on Sarcasmorator to guess that!

Back to the box art at hand. Nintendo was a little cagey in their credits about "artwork" for MZM, so I went off of the package designer credit: Yasuo Inoue, Sachiko Nakamichi, and Yasuko Takahashi all shared this duty. I suspect Inoue or Nakamichi had a heavier involvement; Inoue was Samus' designer for Metroid II and did the box art for that game (among other art creds), and Nakamichi had done a LOT of artwork for Nintendo over the years. If anyone knows specifically who did the art for this particular box, I'd appreciate it!
Old 05-16-2018, 06:44 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post

JUST SOME FUN GUYS HANGING OUT, CASUALLY THROWING AWAY THE FRESHLY SEVERED ARM OF THE GUY THE OTHER VERSIONS FOUGHT EVERY WEEK!
Cool, but rude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanboymaster View Post
I take only minor issue with the otherwise impeccable writeup, TMNT was being adapted into a game before the cartoon debuted, this is why the box art of TMNT 1 on NES depicts them all with red masks, it was not yet holy writ that they be color coded like the 87 cartoon
The game was released in 89 so when did development for it start?
Old 05-16-2018, 07:51 PM

Beats me, I'd have to look for a source but I do recall reading that the license agreement was entered into before the cartoon was A Thing.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:05 AM
IRIS Photojournalist

Just in case people are zooming by, I did post yesterday's entry before Torzelbaum and fanboymaster's posts.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:32 AM
Not a Beer

I voted for a Metroid box, but it wasn't this one. This one is definitely good too, though! Cool space bounty hunters don't look at explosions.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:02 AM
-ryn

I really like that box.
It looks to me like she fired the rocket, then spun around which created the blur of light. Like the force of the shot spun her around, and even caused her foot to deform the rock beneath her feet. For a still frame, it has a lot of action. I really agree with the feeling of a comic book. I also really like how the rocket explosion affects the shadows on the front of her suit and the statues in the background.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:39 AM
BIG STUPID SPEED

Default B- IS AN IMPORTANT GRADE. LOWEST YOU CAN GO WHILE STILL BEING "GOOD".

LET'S LOOK AT
THE OTHER BOXES
I THINK METROID IS A PRETTY COOL GUY
SEH KILLS ALEINS & DOESNT AFRAID OF ANYTHING
#38 - METROID ZERO MISSION

GAME BOY ADVANCE - JAPAN
So this one's cool, sure, but I can't help but find it just kinda lazy. I mean, It's just one of the game's various pieces of Stock promotional art, superimposed on a generic monochrome background of other pieces of stock art. It's eye-catching, and very nicely put-together! I can see why someone might think of this as the better version! But that hypothetical someone can make their own damn OTHER BOXES posts.

RANKING: B-

IQUE PLAYER - CHINA
Japan was the only region that got a different Zero Mission box, as literally everywhere else got the same art we got. This held true even in China, where the game was released on the iQue Player, a strange and magical device that sprang into existence fully-formed when Nintendo's unstoppable desire to stop pirates collided with China's unmovable anti-video game legislation. It mostly caught my eye because it was the only box I could find that had the big title written in something other than English.

Also I threw some shrank-down versions of other GBA boxes in there too. Just to prove that I actually went to the trouble of digging them up and confirming that yeah, none of them were different at all.

RANKING: WHATEVER

FAMICOM DISK SYSTEM - JAPAN
Samus's pose makes me think she should be hanging onto some kinda rope, as she swings from the tree fort into the creek below. This obvious failing to reference that one awesome vacation I had as a kid, combined with the total lack of background other than RED SQUARE ruins this box in every possible sense! Ruins it, I say!

RANKING: F-

GAME BOY ADVANCE - JAPAN... AGAIN?
Box arts that are just pictures of prior box arts is a severely underappreciated art form. I forgive you everything, Nintendo.

I forgive you everything.

RANKING: A+ TIMES ELEVENTY ZILLION

NES - PAL REGIONS
I was all set to go EH WHATEVER on this, but the more I look at it, the more I kinda dig it. The way Samus's armor consists of large unbending pieces reminds me of 60's and 70's Sci fi stuff where all the ROBOTS FROM ANOTHER WORLD look like the mimes wearing the metal suits who do robot poses in front of national landmarks to prey on unsuspecting tourists. You know what I'm talking about right? No? Yeaaah you do quit lyin'.

I also like the the ominous hallway of pillars in the background, and the little holograms being projected near her feet that currently have her full attention, as evidenced by the reflection in her visor. It's not a great drawing, but it gets an A for effort.

RANKING: A. FOR EFFORT.

GAME BOY ADVANCE - PAL REGIONS
Well the art's really nice but WAAAAAAAIIT A MINUTE!

THAT'S NOT A PHOTOGRAPH OF THE NES BOX! THAT'S NOT A PHOTOGRAPH OF THE NES BOX AT ALL!

WHAT KINDA SHIT ARE YOU TRYING TO PULL HERE, NINTENDO?!

RANKING: F- TIMES TWELVETY BAJILLION

NES - NORTH AMERICA ᴀʟsᴏ ɢᴀᴍᴇ ʙᴏʏ ᴀᴅᴠᴀɴᴄᴇ - ɴᴏʀᴛʜ ᴀᴍᴇʀɪᴄᴀ ᴛᴏᴏ ɪ ɢᴜᴇss ᴡᴛғᴇᴠᴇʀ.
As I said waaayyy back on the first page, I kinda dig the house style Nintendo was going with for awhile, where they just used threw some BIG BLOCKY SPRITES on the cover and said "what you see is what you get". It's very direct, and visually striking! I also like the subtle ways they break the "rules" of the pixels, Like how Mario's sprite was "leaning" backwards, and how Samus's shot has motion blur. It's a nice touch! Makes it more than "just a screenshot," you know?

ᴀʟsᴏ ᴛʜᴇʀᴇ's ᴀ ɢᴀᴍᴇ ʙᴏʏ ᴀᴅᴠᴀɴᴄᴇ ʙᴏx ᴛᴏᴏ. ɪ ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ᴄᴀʀᴇ. ɴᴏʙᴏᴅʏ ᴄᴀʀᴇs. ғᴜᴄᴋ ɪᴛ.

RANKING: B+ ᴀɴᴅ ᴜʜʜʜʜ... ᴅ+? ʏᴇᴀʜ sᴜʀᴇ, ᴛʜᴀᴛ sᴏᴜɴᴅs ʟɪᴋᴇ ᴀ ɢʀᴀᴅᴇ.

NES - NORTH AMERICA... AGAIN.
One thing we haven't seen on any of the boxes for Samus's first adventure on planet SR388 are the huge shoulder balls that are now an iconic part of her design. So why does this re-printing of the game from 1992 have them when none of the other boxes do? Anyone got a guess?

Nobody?

Well I'll tell you why, It's because the Samus on this box is an obvious trace job of the cover of Metroid 2: Return of Samus!

For shame, Nintendo!

For shame.

RANKING: SHAME.

Last edited by BEAT; 05-17-2018 at 02:36 PM. Reason: HOW OLD ARE YOUR MEMES? YOU ARE LIKE A LITTLE BABY WATCH THIS. *FLAWLESSLY EXECUTES A "PRETTY COOL GUY" FROM A DECADE AGO*.
Old 05-17-2018, 01:53 PM
I <3 janeelle morae

Even if it's less of a dynamic/action pose, I definitely appreciate the Japanese Zero Mission art more having seen the FDS art, since I think that's where the idea to have it mostly be Samus over a red background likely came from.
Old 05-17-2018, 04:54 PM
King Of Space-Time

The Japanese art reminds me of a classic Bond movie title sequence
Old 05-17-2018, 07:20 PM
IRIS Photojournalist

#37 Okami (PS2, NA, 2006, Capcom/Clover Studios)
Created by Kenichirou Yoshimura
Votes: 2 for 53 points
Highest: Taeryn (#8)

Okami is a gorgeously artistic game in its own right, with some of the most compelling visuals I myself have come across in a video game. The box art gives one a sense of that focus, with a powerful rendition of goddess Amaterasu drawn in a delicate touch embracing the sumi-e painting style with aplomb. The subtle background rich with texture and nuance adds a lot to the piece, giving it a flourish most boxes cannot approach.

Okami had many illustrators working on creating its distinctive look, including Kenichirou Yoshimura, who illustrated the box art. Having some work on Resident Evil, Onimusha, Devil May Cry and Viewtiful Joe under their belt, this would be the last project for Capcom they produced any art for. As Clover dissolved and many of its employees left for Platinum Games, Yoshimura followed. Having contributed to Bayonetta, Anarchy Reigns and Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, it seems that they have been away from video games for a few years.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:07 PM
Gotta Boogie!

I thought about voting for this one, but I already slobbered all over Okami in my own Top 50 thread, and I voted for the soundtrack, so I figured I'd give other games a chance this time.

Still a great piece of work.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:59 PM
King Of Space-Time

Oh, a fine entry! I struggled mightily over including this. Glad to see it made it.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:26 AM
-ryn

that comic we got made voting for this game even more worth it.

Before BEAT gets to it, I'm willing to bet some other regions got cool box art for this game and if so, I look forward to seeing it. A lot of modern games are just a picture of the main character walking toward the observer. In that frame of reference, Okami stands out for its unique art style when compared to a lot of other stuff on the shelf at the time, which is important since that art style is central to the game itself.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:40 AM
BIG STUPID SPEED

Oh man.

You are either gonna love my upcoming post, or you're gonna hate me personally. No middle ground.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:54 AM
Yes, let's feast!

There is one especially famous Okami box, and I'm guessing there's no way BEAT is going to overlook it.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:09 AM
BIG STUPID SPEED

LET'S LOOK AT
THE OTHER BOXES
THE FOLLOWING IS A PAID ADVERTISEMENT FOR ALPHA DOG REVOLUTION.
#37 - ŌKAMI

PS2 - JAPAN
Alright, I'm gonna be real with you. The Okami PS2 box art that we got is way better than the one Japan got. I mean it. 3 reasons.

1.) The background. Japan's box of an ornate tree covered in blossoms is nice, so much of it is covered and obscured that you never get a good sense of what you're seeing, to the point where you feel like you're missing out on what could have been a very impressive painting. The cloudscape used in the western box art is cleaner and less distracting. There's a lot of detail in there, but you don't feel as though you're missing out on what's behind the logo.

2.) The placement. Shoving Ammy into the corner makes you think that the REAL centerpiece of the art is supposed to be the ornate tree covered in blossoms, but the extremely large logo keeps us from getting a feel for what we're actually looking at. This is made worse by the vertical orientation of the Japanese logo, which leaves room on either side for us to see the blossoms, but wholly obscures the tree itself. In the Art all other regions got, Ammy is front and center, as she should be.

3.) Ammy herself. She's just too detailed. A huge part of the charm of this game's graphics are how wonderfully simple and stylized everything is. Our Box Art is true to that aspect of the game, with Ammy being created from simple colors and painted outlines of various thickness, giving her a rough, yet beautiful painted feel. This Ammy's design by comparison too complicated and too busy, robbing it of that all-important charm.

I'm sorry guys, I'm just not feeling this one.

RANKING: C-

WII - JAPAN
Fortunately Japan learned from it's mistakes on the PS2 box. and it's Wii box is a massive improvement!

That said, I really wish they'd just drawn Ammy running through some beautiful scenery instead of just drawing a beautiful scene and then superimposing Ammy on top of it. I'll choose to see one complete picture over a half a picture and a character portrait every single time.

RANKING: B

WII - ALL OTHER REGIONS
Hey, notice anything off about this cover? right around Ammy's face.

UH-OH SPAGHETTIOS!

Yeah. the "Artist" for this box put it together using pre-existing promotional art, and instead of just asking capcom for the originals, they just downloaded it from IGN, and somehow failed to notice the watermark. AND IT SHIPPED TO STORES LIKE THAT! I FOUND IT ON MY OWN COPY OF THE GAME! THIS SHIT IS SO REAL I CANNOT EVEN AHAHAHAHAHAHA OH MY GOD.

RANKING: AHAHAHAHA HOLY SHIT

PS3
You know, Making the Logo act act as the sun, in a game where you play as a literal sun god seems so obvious, I can't believe it took them 4 boxes before they finally gave it a shot.

RANKING: B+

XBOX ONE/PS4
This one gets my vote for the best of the buch. The cast shot in the back showcases the game's loveable cast of weirdos, Ammy looks great, and you can even see the rocket ship from that one weird part where the space girl goes to space! Space is the shit you guys. I love space.

RANKING: A
ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ʏᴏᴜ ᴋɴᴏᴡ ᴡʜᴀᴛ ᴅᴏɢ ɪs ʙᴀᴄᴋᴡᴀʀᴅs
Old 05-18-2018, 07:10 AM
BIG STUPID SPEED

Default YES THIS IS EXTREMELY RELEVANT.

Last edited by BEAT; 05-18-2018 at 07:11 AM. Reason: WATCH IT TO THE END. I SWEAR IT'S FUCKING INCREDIBLE.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:35 AM
Gotta Boogie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeryn View Post
that comic we got made voting for this game even more worth it.
I just caught the shoutout in it. Nice, WC!
Old 05-18-2018, 07:36 AM
of the Black Falcons

Wow, the PS4/XBONE cover is nice.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:47 AM
Not a Beer

I was the other vote for this one! Simple and beautiful. (If you look closely at the faded background, you can tell it's actually a map from the game, with old-style location labels and such, but that doesn't really matter as it's mainly used effectively for the subtle cloud textures around the edges.)

I like the HD covers too though. The PS3 sun-logo is great, and the PS4/XBone has a lot of fun stuff and a great Ammy, though all together I find it a little over-cluttered.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:02 PM
Binglebottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post
FAMICOM DISK SYSTEM - JAPAN
Why are you treating the original Metroid as if it were the same game as Zero Mission? It's not. It's like if you had a cover comparison for the original Castlevania and included the cover for Castlevania Chronicles.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:05 PM
King Of Space-Time

As an apology for the watermark fiasco, Capcom shipped out these alternate covers to Wii customers.

Old 05-18-2018, 01:31 PM
I <3 janeelle morae

Also, the Steam version has a banner that I guess counts if you're counting digital distro stuff. Like most Steam games no disc medium release exists.

Old 05-18-2018, 02:13 PM
BIG STUPID SPEED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplo View Post
Why are you treating the original Metroid as if it were the same game as Zero Mission? It's not.
Oh man, you are gonna HATE some of the posts I have planned for later.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:14 PM
BIG STUPID SPEED

Alternate Response: Why did you wait till now to voice this complaint when it's been valid since Ninja Gaiden?

EDIT: Wait no, not Ninja Gaiden. Sim City. Been valid since Sim City.

Maybe earlier.

Tags
are game covers art? , keyboard vomit from beat , top 50 countdown