The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about sports

Old 04-28-2018, 07:06 AM
Overwhelmed by Absurdity

I mean, the Thunder aren't that great anymore and Melo stinks. But the end of the game was bullshit.
Old 04-28-2018, 07:44 AM

What’s more bullshit? That call? Or “Playoff-P” shooting 2-16 in an elimination game?
Old 04-28-2018, 10:32 AM

Whatever, the officiating had bad calls going both ways. Remember game 5 when this being called a foul against Rudy Gobert? The coach had to pull Gobert off the court before he got fouled out, and then OKC went insane in the 3rd quarter. The jazz play against officiating all the time. The Clippers series last year was even worse.

I don't wanna hear OKC bitch about one measly call when PG clearly leaned directly into Gobert and couldn't hit a bucket to save his playoff dreams anyway. They had five consecutive offensive rebounds in the last minute of play and still couldnt drain it. But nah, everyones gonna point to that foul. So ridiculous.

The jazz earned that win with an injured starting point guard. I'm extremely happy for my team.

EDIT: I'm a bit fired up, but I didn't mean this post to sound so hostile towards anyone in this thread! I am just very defensive of my home team T_T

Last edited by narcodis; 04-28-2018 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-28-2018, 05:54 PM
Overwhelmed by Absurdity

Enjoy the Jazz. They're really good! And any assemblage of talent can be fleeting so enjoy them while they're all there and together (while I look sadly to Houston and Oakland).
Old 04-28-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meditative_Zebra View Post
Enjoy the Jazz. They're really good! And any assemblage of talent can be fleeting so enjoy them while they're all there and together (while I look sadly to Houston and Oakland).
I hope they stick together! The chemistry of this team certainly seems stronger than it was with Hayward around, and I'm hoping that plays a factor in keeping our core lineup intact.
Old 04-28-2018, 07:27 PM

I like the new-look Jazz. Hope they can keep it together for a while and grow as a team. But the West is a slaughter house. They have a promising future but it isn't necessarily an incandescent one, and I worry about them toughing it out against all the other top or rising Western teams too. Some teams like OKC and the Spurs might get worse in the near future. But teams like the Pelicans and the Lakers and the Timberwolves (and the Kings pls) look to get just as good if not better in the near future.
Old 04-28-2018, 07:42 PM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

They definitely look to have the potential to be the best incarnation since the Dyanamic Duo era.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:46 PM

Now that was a fun and exciting basketball game. HOME COURT BABYYY
Old 05-06-2018, 10:33 PM

Love what the Celtics are doing, awesome execution of fundamentals with role players and young ones stepping up.

I like the Pelicans and Jazz too, though atm it doesn't look likely they could reach the Conference Finals with the two juggernauts blocking their paths.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:16 PM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

Old 05-11-2018, 05:24 PM

All of the fun teams are out of the NBA Playoffs. So now it's just the favorites, the floppers, the overachievers, and the LeBrons.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:42 PM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

Toronto fired their coach because they got swept. By Lebron James. After winning a playoff series.

To reiterate:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
Old 05-11-2018, 06:58 PM

I think that firing makes sense, tbh.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:07 PM
This Guy

The complete lack of fight they showed in the series means that some change needed to be made. Blowing up the team has been floated, but bringing in a new coach at least gives them the chance at sparking something. Look at the Warriors going from Mark Jackson to Steve Kerr. The problem is that Casey is a pretty good coach and I don't know that they are going to find someone better.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:38 PM

I wouldn't say Dwayne Casey is a "pretty good" coach. I struggle to say he's even a good coach. He strikes me as the Andy Reid of basketball. Good at putting a team together, creating a winning formula for them in the regular season, and getting them to overachieve... but just completely incapable of making any on-the-fly adjustments, adapting his game-plan to whatever surprise situation he finds himself with, or doing any kind of play-calling. To quote Zach Lowe:

Quote:
I was there for Game 2 Cavs vs Raps, when Love posted up CJ Miles 4 or 5 times in a row without help without any adjustment. I wrote in my note "Dwane Casey is going to be fired"
Old 05-11-2018, 08:21 PM
This Guy

I'd say Andy Reid is a pretty good coach. Getting a team to be as consistently good as Reid did with the Eagles/Chiefs or Casey has done with the Raptors is more than most coaches can do. Nothing he did against the Cavs worked, but I don't know what he could have done instead. Beating LeBron with these Raptors is an unsolvable puzzle.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:00 PM

NBA Draft Lottery just happened, and I'm still in a state of ecstasy.

Draft order:

1) Suns
2) Kings
3) Hawks

As a Kings fan, I am besides myself. This is basically our championship. As long as I've been alive, we've never picked in the top 3, even though the vast majority of years we've lived and breathed the lottery. I would be thrilled with either of the consensus top 2 players. This feels especially good since the Kings won't have their pick next year. This is just... I'm actually crying over here!

Edit: This feels especially good as the Kings were actually trying to win games down the stretch, where as the Grizzlies and Mavericks, who both fell out of the top 3, performed some of the most shameless tanking I've ever seen. Fuck both of those franchises. Tankers never prosper!
Old 05-15-2018, 06:39 PM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
NBA Draft Lottery just happened, and I'm still in a state of ecstasy.

Draft order:

1) Suns
2) Kings
3) Hawks

As a Kings fan, I am besides myself. This is basically our championship. As long as I've been alive, we've never picked in the top 3, even though the vast majority of years we've lived and breathed the lottery. I would be thrilled with either of the consensus top 2 players. This feels especially good since the Kings won't have their pick next year. This is just... I'm actually crying over here!

Edit: This feels especially good as the Kings were actually trying to win games down the stretch, where as the Grizzlies and Mavericks, who both fell out of the top 3, performed some of the most shameless tanking I've ever seen. Fuck both of those franchises. Tankers never prosper!
Sorry for almost taking your team.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:20 PM

I've let go of my Seattle-grudge. It's all good. It helped that Seattle was very good to me a week ago when I visited. Especially the dispensaries.

Have patience and I'm pretty certain the NBA will return to Seattle within like 5 years. Especially now that sports gambling is now more widely legal. NBA revenue is going to be so stupid high that the owners won't mind expanding. Adam Silver has said repeatedly that getting the NBA back into Seattle was a priority of his. I'm willing to bet Seattle and Vegas get expansion teams, pushing either NOLA, Memphis, or Minny to the East during realignment.

On a more directly basketball note though. The conference finals are pretty boring. Dubs thumped the Rockets, and the Cavs look as hapless as they did all season. Dubs/Celtics is going to be a bloodbath. Hate to say it but the NBA playoffs this year weren't very good. I don't remember much about the 90s, but this must be how people felt about the Bulls' reign.
Old 05-19-2018, 04:28 PM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

I think the 95/96 Sonics were probably better than the 78/79 incarnation. They simply had the misfortune of running into the greatest machine ever assembled to play the sport of basketball.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:12 PM
do you feel the eel zeal?

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

I can understand the confusion. Ginobili doesn't look like he's taking a shot. He looks like he's passing. He doesn't even jump! The ball falls so fast and so cleanly that it's easy to think it fell on the far side of the rim from where the camera is and didn't actually go in. This is wild. Dude threw a clean three-pointer without even leaving the ground. Takes everyone several minutes to figure out what happened and I'd say it wasn't even clear until they showed slow-mo behind-the-back footage that made it obvious. The sheer effortlessness is staggering, it's like he's in the matrix or something.

Basically, as one guy in the comments puts it
Quote:
Manu hacked basketball.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:33 AM

Two Game 7s in the Conference Finals is pretty crazy. It's a salvation for a playoffs that has been largely bad. Too bad the Finals are going to be terrible. These injuries this round have also been tragic. I really would have liked to have seen a Game 6 and 7 with Chris Paul healthy.

Also, LeBron > Jordan, don't @ me.
Old 06-02-2018, 03:53 PM

You guys, basketball is amazing
Old 06-02-2018, 04:11 PM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

I would also like to point out that the Seattle Storm set the WNBA record for threes in one game.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:19 AM

Welp, the finals are now over. It's really too bad they couldn't have gone on longer.

LeBron is a generational athlete, we're all going to really miss him when he's gone. I wish he'd had a better team the last two years so that the Warriors could have had some better competition.

KD is also amazing. And Stephen Curry continues his streak of wilting on the biggest of stages.

The off-season is going to be interesting to say the least. Following where key free agents like LeBron, Paul George, Chris Paul, DeMarcus Cousins, etc all go.

I already miss basketball.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:33 PM

Kawhi Leonard is pushing his way out of San Antonio. Meanwhile Greg Popovich's wife just died. I will never look at Leonard again with respect or admiration.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:08 PM
This Guy

I don't understand how the middle sentence relates to the other two. What does Greg Popovich's wife have to do with Kawhi's career decisions?
Old 06-16-2018, 09:04 PM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

I honestly don't think it insensitive of Leonard to shop himself around while Popovich grieves, and I doubt Pop does, either. KL's behavior during the playoffs is a whole other matter.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
I don't understand how the middle sentence relates to the other two. What does Greg Popovich's wife have to do with Kawhi's career decisions?
I largely provided it for context and comparison. Popovich was coaching through his wife being terminally ill, but Kawhi fakes injuries to weasel his way out of playing during the playoffs. It's just a scummy and shitty thing to do. The ironic part is, Popovich could have and probably should have retired when Tim Duncan did. But he stuck around specifically to continue to coach Kawhi. I feel bad that Pops has to deal with shit like this. And if this is how Leonard treats an organization as stand-up and superb as the Spurs, I wouldn't want him anywhere near my team regardless of talent.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:26 PM

The NBA Draft begins in 2 hours. I'm both excited and terrified

Edit: I was right to be terrified

Last edited by WisteriaHysteria; 06-21-2018 at 07:26 PM. Reason: why is everything only pain and misery

Tags
basketball , nba , ncaa , shut up and jam , wnba