The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about sports

Old 03-14-2010, 04:26 PM
S*xual Tyrannosaurus

70s Big is a little smarmy, but I like their humor and think the information is a good.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:28 PM
Banned

I have another question before I start bulking up.
If I do decide to gain more muscle, should I expect a significant increase in body fat percentage as well? and if so should I be concerned? I like looking lean, I just want to look more muscular.

My goal is better abdominal and arm muscles, but I guess I should focus on the whole body? I dunno.

Last edited by Guesty; 03-14-2010 at 05:40 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:55 PM
Pickle Fetish

that depends on your method of gaining muscle. If you eat a ton and work out some you'll gain muscle, but quite a bit of fat as well. Eat healthy, but focus on protein and the like, and you won't gain any body fat.

Also, make sure to get one set of heavy dumbells to impress any females you have over. Even if it takes you both arms to lift one of them, she won't know. Just keep them in a visible corner.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:00 PM

Just work the disco muscles. That's all that matters.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:25 PM
S*xual Tyrannosaurus

Fact is that calories in > calories out will put a little fat on you. A little. There's a great meme on 4chan called Bulking Dog that makes fun of the bulking mindset of "fuck it, time for pancakes".

What bulking up means is that you're not going to have six pack abs. Boo fucking hoo, if you're naturally skinny that means you have a metabolism that burns like a hippie soaked in parafin and a few weeks of low carb coupled with some laps around the track will turn you back into Mr. Cuts.

Fucking eat. Eat good, stay away from that factory processed bullshit that turns us into coronary patients before our day, but eat. You'll need calories and protein, and you'll need to train enough to make your body adapt.

Eat. Train. Fucking sleep. It's not complex; just hard.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:27 PM
S*xual Tyrannosaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Just work the disco muscles. That's all that matters.
You know, there's something to that. If you're bored or unmotivated or you haven't been to the gym in a while and you're too ashamed to get back in there?

Do it. bench and curl. Curl in the fucking squat rack. Make noise. Have fun. Remember why you're in there, instead of on the treadclimber or in the Zumba room.

e: fucking drunk double post. Yall motherfuckers ain't seen the Vigour in too long.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
Curl in the fucking squat rack.

e: fucking drunk double post.
Stop with the drinking of rubbing alcohol, AV!

And if no one else wants to use the squat rack, do what you want with it (and clean it off afterwards) but...still...to hear those words from man...*single tear slides down cheek dramatically*
Old 03-15-2010, 10:50 AM
S*xual Tyrannosaurus

I curl in the squat rack. I do it and smile.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:40 AM
Your imaginary pal

Okay, so I'm wanting to get started toning up a little bit. I am not really interested in buffing out or anything. I'd really like to just getting in the habit of doing a simple work out at home after or before work. I get the sentiment here that gyms are way preferable, but I'd like to just get something going to start me off that I can do at home comfortably daily.

Any suggestions or links to good resources for getting started would be appreciated.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:51 PM
Banned

So my coach said "no weights."

I'm trying to start doing stuff now, but doing a proper pushup is very hard and frustrating for me.

I just hope the weightless exercises get easier with time.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:05 AM
Banned

Could you elaborate on what you asked and why he said no? He...did explain why, so you'd learn something, right? At least, repost your specific goals (faster sprint, better endurance, beach body for the ladies, etc. your better abs and arms sounds like it's purely aesthetic)?

Since you're a runner, and longer distance at that, I assume it's because he doesn't want you gaining too much muscle mass (especially upper body mass that is just dead weight when running). But I'd like to know more before I suggest anything at all at this point.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:55 AM

I lift weights for about an hour four times a week as part of my routines, followed with a good 15 minutes worth of core work. I've noticed that if my diet is steady and my level of activity is the same, it's pretty tough to put on weight, whether it be muscle or fat.

Keep your workout level steady and increase your food intake and you'll start to put on some mass. If you eat healthy and take in the extra calories mainly through protein, unsaturated fats, and whole grains, you really won't notice much fat gain. Extra calories through sugar might result in a little more flab; it mostly has to do with the speed at which the food is metabolized. Just don't stuff yourself and you'll be fine.

I use dumbbells and free weights for my lifting, along with body weight resistance. I really couldn't see how using free weights would be a bad thing, although I do know that weight lifting at a younger age is discouraged due to bone stress concerns.

When it comes to building muscle, I find it easiest to get noticeable results with the chest muscles just by doing different types of push ups. Unlike other muscle groups, I almost exclusively train my pecs with body weight. Using dumbbells to train my arms, triceps, and biceps, I have difficulty seeing much progress at all.

A great introduction to no weight resistance workouts can be found here. I usually stay away from workout videos, mostly because I can't stand the personalities of the trainers, but this set is pretty well put together. If you'd like to try them out, just PM me and I can burn you a copy.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwolfe View Post
Could you elaborate on what you asked and why he said no? He...did explain why, so you'd learn something, right? At least, repost your specific goals (faster sprint, better endurance, beach body for the ladies, etc. your better abs and arms sounds like it's purely aesthetic)?

Since you're a runner, and longer distance at that, I assume it's because he doesn't want you gaining too much muscle mass (especially upper body mass that is just dead weight when running). But I'd like to know more before I suggest anything at all at this point.
I'm mainly doing aesthetic reasons, more muscle should help athleticism too. MAIN goal though is looking a lot better than I do now.

I talked to him more and he said squats and stuff are fine (he actually said squats are a very good exercise) and he said it's OK for me to lift, just to not overdo it. I'm doing Starting Strength (the one created by Mark Rippetoe) (my dad is spotting me at home, I'm not doing deadlifts yet because he thinks I'm not ready and our strangely shaped rack doesn't support deadlifts well). I'm also doing pushups and planks.

I recently started and I've been told that I'm gaining more definition in my shoulders and such, even if I don't really notice it myself.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:59 PM
Banned

Sorry to bump, but I gained some weight! I'm now 113 to 114 pounds. I look a BIT different but not as much as hoped. I'll keep at it I Think.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:22 PM
Arch-Chocolatier

Thread revive!

So I have no idea if I'm squatting correctly. I was told that I had too much forward lean coming out of the hole, which meant I was cheating by using my lower back rather than my legs to get up out of there, but supposedly that's been "mostly" corrected. However, today I noticed my knees wanted to cave inward, and my left glute is feeling it more than my right (I'm right-handed, so I would think that if I used a side more it would be my right glute). I know this is all very vague, but is this indicative of anything?

I do have some phone videos of my girly squatting if that would help with a form check, but the angle isn't the best and I understand if nobody wants to be troubled with form-checking strangers over the internets.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:46 AM
Bob

I am a skinny guy who wants to build some muscle. 5'9" and 125 lbs is pretty good, but I still need some muscle on me. I do P90X with my dad sometimes, and I can do them kind of well, but I still need to do it consistently I think.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:00 PM
Very punny.

So how about my arm muscles are ready to move up to a higher weight, but my hands are too weak to actually hold the weights. Like, I almost dropped a 15 pound on my foot because my fingers were too strained. Is there anything one can do to make your hands stronger?
Old 07-15-2011, 10:17 AM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

I'm sure these would help. I need to get some myself but I'm lazy and never got around to it.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:26 AM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

Pronouns: he/him/his

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Possum View Post
So how about my arm muscles are ready to move up to a higher weight, but my hands are too weak to actually hold the weights. Like, I almost dropped a 15 pound on my foot because my fingers were too strained. Is there anything one can do to make your hands stronger?
also, to build wrist and forearm strength you can do wrist curls. they will really help with your grip strength!
Old 07-16-2011, 05:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliScrub View Post
Thread revive!

So I have no idea if I'm squatting correctly. I was told that I had too much forward lean coming out of the hole, which meant I was cheating by using my lower back rather than my legs to get up out of there, but supposedly that's been "mostly" corrected. However, today I noticed my knees wanted to cave inward, and my left glute is feeling it more than my right (I'm right-handed, so I would think that if I used a side more it would be my right glute). I know this is all very vague, but is this indicative of anything?

I do have some phone videos of my girly squatting if that would help with a form check, but the angle isn't the best and I understand if nobody wants to be troubled with form-checking strangers over the internets.
What kind of shoes are you wearing to squat in? You want bare feet/Chuck Taylors/Vibram Five Fingers--as little squishy cushioning as possible under your feet. The padding deforms and compresses unevenly when you have that much extra pressure on it, and can destabilize.

Knees caving inwards: you want to thing about actively pushing outward with your legs at the knees (and somewhat at the feet...picture putting a bit more pressure on the outer edges of your feet). If you aren't actively doing this, your legs naturally collapse under load.

On the glute asymmetry: You're right handed, so of course you're stressing the left glute. Your right side is stronger in the upper body and probably has the weight subtly higher on your shoulder than the left; that puts more weight on your left side. Do you squat in front of a mirror wide enough to see the entire weight? Confirm that the bar is centered on your grip and neck (easy) and then watch that it stays level during the lift (harder).

On powering out of the hole: how deep are you going? Tops of the thighs parallel to the floor? An aside: you're leaning back and putting weight on your heels more, not coming up on your toes, right? Don't increase weight too much or go for too low of reps until your form is perfect, to prevent injury.

Highly recommended: grab an empty bar (or even a broomstick) and do overhead squats. Any issues with your form (symmetry, flexibility) are greatly magnified, more safely than with a full bar on your back. Practice. Practice. Practice

Quote:
Get a nice thick rubber band and put it on your finger/thumb tips and pull OUT against the resistance. You can do this at your desk, on the bus, anywhere. It's easy to work on the crushing power of the grip, but it can only be so out of balance with the opening power of your grip before you see little to no gain in strength.

Alternate: what kind of grip are you using? There's supinated, pronated, and neutral (hammer) grips. Pronated is palm down (if you're doing, say, bicep curls) and is the "weakest" grip. Supinated is palm up, and is stronger. Hammer, palm inward, is the strongest grip for most people.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:22 AM
Arch-Chocolatier

Quote:
What kind of shoes are you wearing to squat in? You want bare feet/Chuck Taylors/Vibram Five Fingers--as little squishy cushioning as possible under your feet. The padding deforms and compresses unevenly when you have that much extra pressure on it, and can destabilize.

Knees caving inwards: you want to thing about actively pushing outward with your legs at the knees (and somewhat at the feet...picture putting a bit more pressure on the outer edges of your feet). If you aren't actively doing this, your legs naturally collapse under load.

On the glute asymmetry: You're right handed, so of course you're stressing the left glute. Your right side is stronger in the upper body and probably has the weight subtly higher on your shoulder than the left; that puts more weight on your left side. Do you squat in front of a mirror wide enough to see the entire weight? Confirm that the bar is centered on your grip and neck (easy) and then watch that it stays level during the lift (harder).

On powering out of the hole: how deep are you going? Tops of the thighs parallel to the floor? An aside: you're leaning back and putting weight on your heels more, not coming up on your toes, right? Don't increase weight too much or go for too low of reps until your form is perfect, to prevent injury.

Highly recommended: grab an empty bar (or even a broomstick) and do overhead squats. Any issues with your form (symmetry, flexibility) are greatly magnified, more safely than with a full bar on your back. Practice. Practice. Practice
Using Chucks.

The cage is in front of a mirror, and it appears the bar is level throughout the lift, but like you said it's a bit harder to keep track under duress.

I aim for parallel but sometimes go a bit below or above parallel... trying to get more consistent about it. Also, my weight isn't over the toes, but not quite over the heels either... midfoot, is how I'd describe it. In any case I make sure to keep both feet firmly planted on the ground at all times. Is midfoot fine?

Also, if I'm taking 45-50 seconds to finish a set of 5, does that count as going TOO slow?
Old 07-18-2011, 04:08 PM
Very punny.

Quote:
Alternate: what kind of grip are you using? There's supinated, pronated, and neutral (hammer) grips. Pronated is palm down (if you're doing, say, bicep curls) and is the "weakest" grip. Supinated is palm up, and is stronger. Hammer, palm inward, is the strongest grip for most people.
I've actually been doing hammer grip, so I guess I need to invest in some rubber bands and squeezy thingies.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Using Chucks.

The cage is in front of a mirror, and it appears the bar is level throughout the lift, but like you said it's a bit harder to keep track under duress.

I aim for parallel but sometimes go a bit below or above parallel... trying to get more consistent about it. Also, my weight isn't over the toes, but not quite over the heels either... midfoot, is how I'd describe it. In any case I make sure to keep both feet firmly planted on the ground at all times. Is midfoot fine?

Also, if I'm taking 45-50 seconds to finish a set of 5, does that count as going TOO slow?
Everything sounds pretty good...just think about pushing OUT more with the legs (again, carefully at lower weights to get used to the feel of it)...up until your time...oh. my. god. Yeah, I can see the problem. You're wearing out your stabilizing muscles before your main-load muscles get worn out, I think.

Seriously? seriously? ....seriously?

Try TWO seconds controlled descent, and explosive ascent (at least try to make it explosive, it will probably feel slow and take a second due to the load). Think more like plyometrics, but with load (and don't actually try to jump off the ground).

The power you develop will transfer over into other activities. That slow, you're building mass, but not athleticism. And most ladies (and gentleman) like an athletic butt over a large one.

Quote:
I've actually been doing hammer grip, so I guess I need to invest in some rubber bands and squeezy thingies.
Buy some broccoli at the grocery store, they have nice strong rubber bands, and you eat your vegetables too!

Try working out with the other grips in place of the hammer grip, it will work your grip more (the exercise will seem harder, and you'll feel it in your grip) with the same weights.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:58 AM
Arch-Chocolatier

Quote:
Everything sounds pretty good...just think about pushing OUT more with the legs (again, carefully at lower weights to get used to the feel of it)...up until your time...oh. my. god. Yeah, I can see the problem. You're wearing out your stabilizing muscles before your main-load muscles get worn out, I think.

Seriously? seriously? ....seriously?

Try TWO seconds controlled descent, and explosive ascent (at least try to make it explosive, it will probably feel slow and take a second due to the load). Think more like plyometrics, but with load (and don't actually try to jump off the ground).

The power you develop will transfer over into other activities. That slow, you're building mass, but not athleticism. And most ladies (and gentleman) like an athletic butt over a large one.
I just looked at a video of myself, for the 2nd and 3rd set it seems like my routine is 1.5 second descent, 3-4 second rise (longer on the 3rd set and on the 4th/5th rep of each set), and then 3-5 second break at the top to catch my breath (close to 5 seconds right before the last rep of the last set). Pretty sure my ascent and break times are shorter on my 1st non-warmup set, maybe 2-3 second rises and 2-3 seconds breaks at the top. I'm not TRYING to come up slow, that really is the fastest I can manage at that weight (not even bodyweight!), so I guess I'll stay at this weight for a bit (instead of trying to move up) and see if i can cut down on ascent and between-rep-break times.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
I just looked at a video of myself, for the 2nd and 3rd set it seems like my routine is 1.5 second descent, 3-4 second rise (longer on the 3rd set and on the 4th/5th rep of each set), and then 3-5 second break at the top to catch my breath (close to 5 seconds right before the last rep of the last set). Pretty sure my ascent and break times are shorter on my 1st non-warmup set, maybe 2-3 second rises and 2-3 seconds breaks at the top. I'm not TRYING to come up slow, that really is the fastest I can manage at that weight (not even bodyweight!), so I guess I'll stay at this weight for a bit (instead of trying to move up) and see if i can cut down on ascent and between-rep-break times.
IMHO...You should NOT be going up slower than down, period. It sounds like you're pushing way too high towards your max 1RM for your fitness level. Drop that damn weight and work on explosiveness for a month or two. Try overheads (where you will be lifting 1/4 the weights and hurting) and front squats, not just back squats. Both require much less weight than back squats, and help you learn technique. PM me if you want to let me see video and comment on it.

I don't know if you're a long-legged guy or a fireplug or in between, that matters a lot.

It's not that you're trying to come up slow, it's that it's too much weight to lift effectively if it takes that long. The very fact that you're asking for feedback at all means it's not your motivation that's lacking. It's the program.

How often do you deadlift?

I'm a little biased on talking about leg movements since I have way better legs than arms genetically (yay fireplug for a father!).
Old 07-19-2011, 08:23 PM

I would like to start losing weight/being toned. I'm short, fat, and flabby right now.

I have no idea where to begin.

I'm swimming right now to build up stamina. I think it's working. But I don't know what to do now that I've built up some stamina. All the weight-lifting equipment at the gym is intimidating.

Help me out, Talking Time.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:37 PM

I'm too bashful to ask people to spot me while I use free weights. I feel I shall forever use machines. How can I remedy this!?
Old 07-19-2011, 09:52 PM
Arch-Chocolatier

Quote:
IMHO...You should NOT be going up slower than down, period. It sounds like you're pushing way too high towards your max 1RM for your fitness level. Drop that damn weight and work on explosiveness for a month or two. Try overheads (where you will be lifting 1/4 the weights and hurting) and front squats, not just back squats. Both require much less weight than back squats, and help you learn technique. PM me if you want to let me see video and comment on it.

I don't know if you're a long-legged guy or a fireplug or in between, that matters a lot.

It's not that you're trying to come up slow, it's that it's too much weight to lift effectively if it takes that long. The very fact that you're asking for feedback at all means it's not your motivation that's lacking. It's the program.

How often do you deadlift?

I'm a little biased on talking about leg movements since I have way better legs than arms genetically (yay fireplug for a father!).
Deadlift once a week. Squat 2-3x a week. I'm a short, stocky guy (so fireplug?), I'll see if I can upload a private Youtube video or something that I can PM to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
I'm too bashful to ask people to spot me while I use free weights. I feel I shall forever use machines. How can I remedy this!?
You can do what I do, and go to the gym with a couple friends. Barring that, I guess start off with dumbbells? It seems easier to fail safely sans spotter with dumbbells than barbells.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:11 PM
Family Man

I have some flab on my stomach that I can't seem to get rid of. What kind of weight lifting regimen can help turn that flab into fab?
Old 07-19-2011, 11:47 PM

You can't actually target where you lose weight. In fact, if you target your stomach muscles, that can make your flab be more exaggerated, as there are more muscles underneath.

It's basically just a question of losing enough fat overall that your belly fat goes, which seems to be mostly a question of personal body vagaries.

Tags
#assbutt , anatoly comin' , believe in yo'self , body explosion , brodin , bulk up for the big game , butt-glutes , deca dick , do you even clean , fightingroad! , hamglue , i'm gonna boo boo , jotunheim , king of bench , lifting buddha , lifting is not a sport , maximum goku , maximus claw , muscle bomber , paul is dead