The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about sports

Old 01-22-2018, 04:57 PM
linktr.ee/stuartgipp

(Throws Enzo T-shirt in a fire)
Old 01-22-2018, 05:15 PM
bad at lurking

Pronouns: He him

okay FINE I'll watch Raw25 and the Rumble, but I swear to god if the PPV is shitty I'm going back on WWE Strike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
(Throws Enzo T-shirt in a fire)
*googles*

god damn, I mean, you hope a dude's character is just a character but I'd be lying if I said I was surprised what it was after I saw your post.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:07 PM
S*xual Tyrannosaurus

If Sven ever comes back to us I need him to contextualize Kenta Kobashi’s Noah run bc I know nothing about him except his chops are sick and his titties look like brioche
Old 01-22-2018, 06:10 PM
bad at lurking

Whelp, the opening montage of Raw25 sure did remind me of why I always feel conflicted giving that family any money at all by including them embracing convicted rapist Mike Tyson and proud gay hater Ultimate Warrior. Why do they even bother keeping Hogan on the outs? Not like what he did was any worse than those two or a lot of other dudes.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:20 PM
Banned

Enzo Amore is a rapist now?

Damn... if he did do it, fuck that guy. He's a no-talent hack who Don Callis once said "bumps like a scarecrow falling down a flight of stairs". He dresses like a guido Muppet and his work is sub-par at best. Shame on him.

Who knew, that of the two of them, Big Cass would have the most upside out of the team? The modern day Test?

Its a good thing Cass' knee exploded when it did and took him off TV. Because I'd hate to be him, if he was in a program or a team with Enzo right now.

Fire Enzo (out of a cannon. Into the sun.) bring back the big dude, make him a cool face on Smackdown! and pretend like Enzo never happened.

Its the only way.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:26 AM
POPE'S MEGA SQUID THRUST

Pronouns: FUCK IT SHIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
If Sven ever comes back to us I need him to contextualize Kenta Kobashi’s Noah run bc I know nothing about him except his chops are sick and his titties look like brioche
sadly the one dude I know who could explain that with perfect clarity got run off CKC when the mods publicized his DMs thirsting after this dipshit Chicago art school chick. he vanished completely.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:07 AM
S*xual Tyrannosaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
sadly the one dude I know who could explain that with perfect clarity got run off CKC when the mods publicized his DMs thirsting after this dipshit Chicago art school chick. he vanished completely.
Damn shame it is. (Neil or Andrew btw)
Old 01-23-2018, 09:11 AM
S*xual Tyrannosaurus

Kobashi in AJPW I can grasp, because AJPW explains itself very easily: Misawa drops you on your head, you drop Misawa on his head, fighting spirit occurs.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:47 AM
POPE'S MEGA SQUID THRUST

yeah All Japan booking psychology is not hard to follow because it's barely even there. NOAH is more interesting but I have only the barest surface understanding.

BTW a good piece of writing about a great NOAH angle is this discussion of the Kikuchi/Liger NJ juniors/NOAH juniors feud from the old DVDVR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEAN
Lyger as a second is SUCH a TOTAL PRICK that I thought my head was going to EXPLODE. First he taunts the NOAH faithful in the audience- doing the fucking SUPER-SOUTHERN HEEL thing of finding the most unstable person in the audience and gets them riled up by getting in a extended shouting match with them. Then Lyger SPITS ON HIM. The place goes through the fucking roof. Greatest Moment In Japanese Wrestling Ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomk
TKG: I should point out that I think the guy who Dean refers to as "the most unstable person in the audience" is my favorite fat drunken NOAH fan who fell asleep and pissed himself during Sano vs. Suzuki.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:58 AM
S*xual Tyrannosaurus

Good writeup of some GAEA in there too. Thanks, Raider.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:11 AM
S*xual Tyrannosaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetic Maniac View Post
Enzo Amore is a rapist now?
It sounds like they're doing it right: suspension pending investigation. Of course this bleeds into the politics of sex crime investigation, the carceral state, etc, but at the least an alleged rapist shouldn't entertaining children.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:10 PM
linktr.ee/stuartgipp

He's been released now.

Fuck him, obviously. Not sure if it's okay to express this but I'm genuinely sad because I did buy his shirt, I did love him back in NXT and when he moved up with Big Cass. So I'm sad he's gone. But my "betrayal" is pretty fuckin small potatoes given what's he's done. So I feel kind of bad for feeling kind of bad.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:46 PM
S*xual Tyrannosaurus

The entire business is about feelings, so it makes sense to me.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:43 PM
bad at lurking

Watching Raw25 was a pretty weird one to make my first current WWE product to watch in about 6 months. I think they should have gone all nostalgia show or just pretended it was a normal Raw because the little bit of "current" product they had was pretty terrible.

It's also super strange seeing how different characters are now. Dana brooke is a nerd? What?

And then some things are exactly the same. Brock is still Brock, and it's going to take a triple threat to take the belt off him because he's too much of a monster. At least i think that's what I'm expecting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
Fuck him, obviously. Not sure if it's okay to express this but I'm genuinely sad because I did buy his shirt, I did love him back in NXT and when he moved up with Big Cass. So I'm sad he's gone. But my "betrayal" is pretty fuckin small potatoes given what's he's done. So I feel kind of bad for feeling kind of bad.
I loved that team in NXT and when they first came up. But they let them run it into the ground and didn't even put the belts on them to give them some legitimacy, and then split them up (which I actually thought was well done, even though it was too soon I thought). But yeah, fuck him for somehow being way worse than a shitty wrestling character.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:15 PM
We just don't know.

It's absolutely okay to feel grief over the loss of an idol (I use the term very loosely), be it to literal physical death or a more figurative death of their character/reputation. Especially in the last year as sexual predators have started facing reckonings at heretofore unheard of rates, a lot of people are dealing with finding out that someone they respected or enjoyed is actually a pile of shit, and as long as you keep that feeling of loss in perspective (which in this specific case, madhair clearly is) I can't imagine calling that an unacceptable thing to feel or state.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:57 PM
bad at lurking

And let's be real, wrestling has always been rife with pretty shitty people. Comes with the territory, unfortunately.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:08 AM
S*xual Tyrannosaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
It's absolutely okay to feel grief over the loss of an idol (I use the term very loosely), be it to literal physical death or a more figurative death of their character/reputation. Especially in the last year as sexual predators have started facing reckonings at heretofore unheard of rates, a lot of people are dealing with finding out that someone they respected or enjoyed is actually a pile of shit, and as long as you keep that feeling of loss in perspective (which in this specific case, madhair clearly is) I can't imagine calling that an unacceptable thing to feel or state.
Wrestlers who can connect with the crowd on an emotional level are the ones who endure. Steve Austin didn't just throw the double bird and act like the Ur-Redneck, he also spoke to every 90s wage earner whose boss treated them like shit and whose job might vanish tomorrow. He let them feel like they were winning too. John Cena gave kids a flesh-and-blood superhero who dealt with bullies and authority figures by believing in himself and never giving up. Kazuchika Okada champions frustrated Millennials who feel like they'll never make their way to the top.

Wrestlers work hard to make you care about their characters, and when they do something like this it's totally natural to care about that too.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:14 AM
Toothsome!

Pronouns: She/Her

Quote:
Wrestlers who can connect with the crowd on an emotional level are the ones who endure. Steve Austin didn't just throw the double bird and act like the Ur-Redneck, he also spoke to every 90s wage earner whose boss treated them like shit and whose job might vanish tomorrow. He let them feel like they were winning too. John Cena gave kids a flesh-and-blood superhero who dealt with bullies and authority figures by believing in himself and never giving up. Kazuchika Okada champions frustrated Millennials who feel like they'll never make their way to the top.
The Undertaker engaged an entire generation of disaffected goth kids.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:22 AM
S*xual Tyrannosaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
The Undertaker engaged an entire generation of disaffected goth kids.
Oh yeah. Every rural kid I ever knew with a Nine Inch Nails poster or a trenchcoat worshiped the guy.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:36 AM

Taker straight up looked in convention circuit shape on Monday night, just run down and in a goofy costume

Raw 25 was fairly awful, I haven't been following ever since I unsubbed from Meltzer last year, but I'll definitely check out the rumble.

Glad to see Miz is IC champ again, wonder if it'll lead to Reigns winning the rumble once more.

Roster is starting to feel really stuffed on both shows now, I totally forgot bobby roode was a thing.

Anyway, yeah we know who McMahon is friends with and wrasslin has always been filled with dubious carnies by design but it might also be a good time to be reminded that WWE also does a lot of philanthropic work with organizations that help the needy such as special Olympics and Komen (which is also dubious of course).

The ultimate warrior worship still baffles me; not a memorable performer, not a memorable person.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:05 AM
bad at lurking

And yet, even with Warrior they are twisting his legacy into something positive with the Warrior award (whatever they call it).
Old 01-25-2018, 10:17 AM
POPE'S MEGA SQUID THRUST

Quote:
Oh yeah. Every rural kid I ever knew with a Nine Inch Nails poster or a trenchcoat worshiped the guy.
I remember Bret's book describing the crowds of face-painted goth kids who mobbed Taker everywhere when they first started doing Euro tours in the '90s. Especially in Germany.
Old 01-25-2018, 01:01 PM
linktr.ee/stuartgipp

I was also a pretty big fan of Max Landis, so I've not had a good month.

Every time Stone Cold's music hits and I see him walking down the ramp mouthing off unknown expletives, I grin from ear to ear.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:39 PM
O tempora! O morays!

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

The XFL is coming back! Because the NFL is too political!

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...fl-return-2020

be still my beating forehead veins
Old 01-25-2018, 08:28 PM
bad at lurking

someone on my twitter posted something to to effect of: what's the point of being as rich as Vince or Trump if you are never going to goddamn retire?

Quote:
"People don't want social and political issues coming into play when they are trying to be entertained," McMahon said. "We want someone who wants to take a knee to do their version of that on their personal time."
Fuck you, Vince. You made all your money on roided up cartoon characters role playing "political issues," but it was cool when that was American Heros beating up nasty foreigners, yeah?
Old 01-25-2018, 09:26 PM
S*xual Tyrannosaurus

This guy is really good

Old 01-25-2018, 09:49 PM
S*xual Tyrannosaurus

KUSHIDA vs. Takahashi is also cool because KUSHIDA reps hoppin pop punk while Takahashi fucks with Circle Jerks and Black Flag
Old 01-25-2018, 09:53 PM
S*xual Tyrannosaurus

Pictured: Alternate Universe Ample Vigour c. 2001

Old 01-26-2018, 10:07 AM
Sacco/Vanzetti 2020

Pronouns: he/him/fuckface

So like

We’re all in agreement that Stephanie’s probably gonna win the women’s Rumble because her impulsive desire to make everything about her (see; her purse having the balls of every man she shares a ring with except Hunter locked down) and lack of Vince’s willingness to show ass to put someone over are a deadly combination, right?
Old 01-26-2018, 10:44 AM
bad at lurking

Steph winning the women's rumble would be the best way to make sure I don't stick around through mania. I'm already barely willing to give them money.

Tags
rasslin