The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about sports

Old 07-07-2016, 04:30 PM
Tausendsassa

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcodis View Post
I find the only thing that actually curbs my appetite is an intense workout. Post-workout, I don't feel inclined to eat much at all, and I sleep better than normal.
I'm the opposite. If I'm sitting around and not very active, I hardly need any food at all. As soon as I leave the house or do anything strenuous I become hungry. If I do any real exercise I get crazy hungry and start consuming huge quantities of food.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
I should say the appetite was an adjustment I made purposefully. I used to eat too much and eat poorly besides.

Come to think of it this is just another angle on the whole "food is fuel" philosophy that helped me in the first place.
Oh whoa. Yeah that's pretty awesome, good on you. I don't know if I have that sort of willpower... I'm more or less a slave to my urges when it comes to hunger.

Quote:
I'm the opposite. If I'm sitting around and not very active, I hardly need any food at all. As soon as I leave the house or do anything strenuous I become hungry. If I do any real exercise I get crazy hungry and start consuming huge quantities of food.
Yeah, see I suspect I'm somewhat in the minority on this sort of issue...
It's worth noting that this only happens after a particularly strenuous workout. Like the kind that makes my muscles sore for the next few days. Light exercise will have the opposite effect (or "normal" effect I guess). If I'm just lightly riding a bike for 30 minutes, or playing some Wii Punch-Out or something, that will stir up an appetite.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:50 PM
actually an eevee

Pronouns: she/her

about to move my body to find some pokemans
Old 07-07-2016, 09:24 PM
We just don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcodis View Post
Oh whoa. Yeah that's pretty awesome, good on you. I don't know if I have that sort of willpower... I'm more or less a slave to my urges when it comes to hunger.
I think I'm making it sound better than it is. I just gradually bumped down my food intake until I was basically just eating enough to make myself not hungry. (As I chronicled in other threads, what food I ate played a part too; I'd avoid big servings of stuff because if it's in front of me I'd eat it. Cooking things like one-pot meals where I can take a small bowl and finish it and then take more if I'm hungry made it easier to regulate, too: even if I regularly ate two small bowls it's more control than eating one big bowl at a time.)

That depends day to day. Like, over the weekend I had a slammin' day at the gym, just really killed it. And afterwards I just ate fucking EVERYTHING I COULD. I had a whole extra order of dumplings at the Chinese place then when we went to the ballgame I had not one but two hotdogs because I FELT THE HUNGER. Like, I pretty much just straight-up ate double what my friends did/what I normally would.

Today in HEMA we did some foam-bat sparring after teacher had to leave early. One guy did SCA stuff for a long time but it was a different style; they were used to getting in and wailing for a hit which would stop, not to mention fighting with shields, whereas under HEMA rules the opponent basically has a chance to counter and you need to have control and make a retreat to score full points. So he was doing a lot of weird stuff we basically don't do, like leg attacks and so on. It was still fun and interesting and I actually managed to pull off a lot of our techniques once or twice, but also it's a lot faster and more chaotic. Gotta drill those cuts... drill drill drill... drill drill drill... better faster harder stronger...
Old 07-07-2016, 09:33 PM
S*xual Tyrannosaurus

Lmao reminds me of my first couple weeks at the boxing club. The hunger simply did not stop for love or money. I ate an entire rotisserie chicken, then ate another one. (I was morbidly obese)
Old 07-11-2016, 07:42 PM
S*xual Tyrannosaurus

So I've been doing 3 rounds shadowboxing, 3 rounds bag work, 3 rounds speed bag, 3 rounds skipping. Tonight I just did rounds of shadowboxing until I got bored, and I remembered how my hips and knees never opened up without at least four rounds. Started flowing again.

Now my hips and thighs are in agony from said flow. Aieeeeee
Old 07-11-2016, 07:45 PM
We just don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
Quote:
The agony in your leg butt fills you with determination
Old 07-13-2016, 08:11 AM
Not 100% a dick

I've been doing really good about going out for a run or at least a walk every day. My legs are constantly in pain and my belt is actually feeling tighter if anything. Exercise my be overrated.

Also, yesterday I was out for a run and slipped in a puddle of sludge. Landed on my bad knee. A minute later I looked down and my leg was covered in blood. It was pretty cool! I sort of wanted to keep going anyway, but I decided that it would be best just to turn around and run home to get it cleaned up. It was a pretty gross puddle.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:15 AM

Quote:
So I've been doing 3 rounds shadowboxing, 3 rounds bag work, 3 rounds speed bag, 3 rounds skipping. Tonight I just did rounds of shadowboxing until I got bored, and I remembered how my hips and knees never opened up without at least four rounds. Started flowing again.

After Muay Thai for my first week or so my hip flexors would be borked from kicks.

Kicks.

More kicks.

A few more kicks.

Fucking kicks.

Please send help.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:40 AM
S*xual Tyrannosaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadrome View Post
After Muay Thai for my first week or so my hip flexors would be borked from kicks.

Kicks.

More kicks.

A few more kicks.

Fucking kicks.

Please send help.
Knees baby, knees, more knees, knees knees
Old 07-13-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Knees baby, knees, more knees, knees knees
I do love myself some knees. It is too bad, though, that amateur Muay Thai is basically just kick boxing with more liberal clinching. No knees or elbows
Old 07-13-2016, 09:18 AM
S*xual Tyrannosaurus

Quote:
I do love myself some knees. It is too bad, though, that amateur Muay Thai is basically just kick boxing with more liberal clinching. No knees or elbows
If you do go through with an amateur mma fight, you'll hear the following screamed at you nonstop the entire time regardless of situation:
  1. SHOOT
  2. KNEES
  3. SHOOT
  4. SHOOT
  5. KNEES

It is known that there is no position in fight sport where shooting and/or kneeing is not the correct course of action
Old 07-13-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
If you do go through with an amateur mma fight, you'll hear the following screamed at you nonstop the entire time regardless of situation:
  1. SHOOT
  2. KNEES
  3. SHOOT
  4. SHOOT
  5. KNEES

It is known that there is no position in fight sport where shooting and/or kneeing is not the correct course of action
My takedown game is what I'm best at, so shooting is like 50% of what I do. There is nothing quite as satisfying as getting a clean double in a live spar.
Old 07-13-2016, 12:52 PM
We just don't know.

is doing a guest class at our club on Saturday morning.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:44 AM
We just don't know.

What do you think of/what's the conventional wisdom about multiple workouts in one day? Not like, going to the gym twice, but say, doing hill sprints in the morning and going to practice later on? Or the gym earlier and yoga/sprints later?

Like, whenever I go to the gym I do deadlifts or squats, usually, and so my legs are usually DOMS'd up one way or another. And I wonder if I should really, like, sprint on them, even hours later after recovery foods and such. Or if I sprint in the morning am I gonna be gassed and miserable for HEMA practice later, and so on.

Or am I overthinking it, and my body will be fine as long as I don't push it into anything painful or dangerous, and in fact it's good to get More Exercise?
Old 07-14-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
What do you think of/what's the conventional wisdom about multiple workouts in one day? Not like, going to the gym twice, but say, doing hill sprints in the morning and going to practice later on? Or the gym earlier and yoga/sprints later?

Like, whenever I go to the gym I do deadlifts or squats, usually, and so my legs are usually DOMS'd up one way or another. And I wonder if I should really, like, sprint on them, even hours later after recovery foods and such. Or if I sprint in the morning am I gonna be gassed and miserable for HEMA practice later, and so on.

Or am I overthinking it, and my body will be fine as long as I don't push it into anything painful or dangerous, and in fact it's good to get More Exercise?
You'll adjust to stimulus overtime. I actually lied in the lifting thread when I said I would cut things back, as that hasn't happened. I train martial arts 5 times a week and on three of those days I train in the AM and in the PM. It's been working out really, really well. It was tough at first, though, and make sure your recovery is on point. Here's the rundown:

Monday:
Muay Thai/BJJ (Each of these is an hour and a half, done in the evening)

Tuesday:
Morning conditioning
Evening lifting

Wednesday:
Muay Thai/BJJ

Thursday:
Morning conditioning
Muay Thai/BJJ

Friday:
Muay Thai/BJJ

Saturday:
Morning Muay Thai
Evening lifting with an emphasis on max strength

Once school starts up I'll have much more command over my free time and I'd like to start training every morning and evening. The coach and I have set February next year as the tentative date for my fight test. I intend to train as much like a pro as possible so as to be able to wreck fools left and right, most amateur guys train half as much as I do.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:54 AM
It's dog eat dog

Pronouns: he/him

I think it's overkill, myself, but it depends on your psychology and your goals (i.e. losing weight or getting into better cardiovascular shape in general). When I would do two cardio sessions a day I just ended up eating more, which had the same net effect as just one session.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:23 PM
We just don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosterman View Post
I think it's overkill, myself, but it depends on your psychology and your goals (i.e. losing weight or getting into better cardiovascular shape in general). When I would do two cardio sessions a day I just ended up eating more, which had the same net effect as just one session.
Not at all concerned with losing weight at this stage. I basically just wanna train for HEMA and secondarily, in general. Wanna get faster, stronger, and most importantly work on my endurance and stamina. I gas out FAST when I have to do actual cardio stuff. When I did hill sprints I ALMOST finished the fourth sprint, and it's not a very long hill. I can make it through 5 20-second rounds on battle ropes, plus or minus 1, before my arms fall to my sides and I need to sit down (though to be fair I do them after lifting). Or at least, my brain screams that it wants to stop and I indulge it. But I really do feel like I can't push past it.

And finally just a little bit of "I'm in my thirties now, I better get serious about staying in shape or I'm on the road to being a fat shambles down the line."

My psychology is lazy as shit and doesn't want to exercise at all, so I have to habitually discount everything it tells me to do or the answer to this and every other question would be "beer"
Old 07-14-2016, 12:31 PM

The amount I've started training has, like, doubled my work capacity and cardio in a very short time. I was pure powerlifting before, but in only a month or so I'm able to do things that would make former me die in a puddle of sweat.

I'd say go for it and adjust as necessary.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:47 PM
S*xual Tyrannosaurus

Quote:
That, but you need to be very thoughtful about adding extra workouts. The guys at Westside Barbell were infamous for doing 35-40 workouts in a week, but the secret was that a lot of those were like "superset band lat raises and face pulls for 10 minutes" and they spent years adding a workout at a time.

When in doubt, take Dan John's advice: Start slow, then ease off.
Old 07-14-2016, 07:27 PM

Quote:
You'll adjust to stimulus overtime. I actually lied in the lifting thread when I said I would cut things back, as that hasn't happened. I train martial arts 5 times a week and on three of those days I train in the AM and in the PM. It's been working out really, really well. It was tough at first, though, and make sure your recovery is on point. Here's the rundown:

Monday:
Muay Thai/BJJ (Each of these is an hour and a half, done in the evening)

Tuesday:
Morning conditioning
Evening lifting

Wednesday:
Muay Thai/BJJ

Thursday:
Morning conditioning
Muay Thai/BJJ

Friday:
Muay Thai/BJJ

Saturday:
Morning Muay Thai
Evening lifting with an emphasis on max strength

Once school starts up I'll have much more command over my free time and I'd like to start training every morning and evening. The coach and I have set February next year as the tentative date for my fight test. I intend to train as much like a pro as possible so as to be able to wreck fools left and right, most amateur guys train half as much as I do.
Holy shit, dude. Do you guys roll each class, too, or is it just drills? I remember being tired after like 5 minutes of live grappling. I can't imagine going through a bjj class and then doing muay thai on top of it. Though I suppose you could probably get away with doing muay thai first and then bjj.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:55 AM
S*xual Tyrannosaurus

Dudes a college student in his physical prime. If there was ever a time in your life where you could spend four hours a day training for a hobby wo breaking your shit w a quickness your late teens/early 20s is it
Old 07-15-2016, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufferto View Post
Holy shit, dude. Do you guys roll each class, too, or is it just drills? I remember being tired after like 5 minutes of live grappling. I can't imagine going through a bjj class and then doing muay thai on top of it. Though I suppose you could probably get away with doing muay thai first and then bjj.
Yeah it's rolling each class. Doing Muay Thai and then BJJ is good; doing BJJ then MT is impossible and painful. But we only do it like that on Thursday and I take MT easy that day. My gym is really big on gettin' physical. I'll spar multiple times a week, too, which kind of surprised me after only a month of training. But the dudes who train here are very successful amateur fighters and a number of members have went on to be pro so I have a lot of faith in my coach.

And as AV noted I am a young buck. I don't like to say physical prime, as I intend to keep improving one way or another as long as I can. I often forget that not everyone is a tiny babby like I am, and I imagine that being 30 would greatly change how you organize your training. Then again, my coach is a 50 year old submission wrestler/strongman who deadlifts 700lbs and prepares for wrestling tournaments and strongman meets simultaneously (He complains about joint pain constantly, unsurprisingly).
Old 07-15-2016, 07:53 AM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

Pronouns: he/him/his

Quote:
I often forget that not everyone is a tiny babby like I am
young man, one day your skull bones will fuse together and you'll lose your head soft spot and you'll learn what it's like to be mortal
Old 07-15-2016, 07:54 AM

Man, I'm just trying to find time to walk.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:55 AM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

Pronouns: he/him/his

I hope you can Diz, walking is one of the very best things you can do for yourself.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:57 AM
S*xual Tyrannosaurus

Pokemon Go, dude. My wife hates exercise with blinding fury, but she's been putting in 4-5 miles a day just hunting for 'mons (that's short for Pokemons, f.y.i. ;-D)
Old 07-15-2016, 07:58 AM
It's dog eat dog

Pronouns: he/him

I know you're a journalist and it's the middle of July, but take a break and take a walk!!
Old 07-15-2016, 08:00 AM
S*xual Tyrannosaurus

Quote:
And as AV noted I am a young buck. I don't like to say physical prime, as I intend to keep improving one way or another as long as I can. I often forget that not everyone is a tiny babby like I am, and I imagine that being 30 would greatly change how you organize your training. Then again, my coach is a 50 year old submission wrestler/strongman who deadlifts 700lbs and prepares for wrestling tournaments and strongman meets simultaneously (He complains about joint pain constantly, unsurprisingly).
Oh yeah, I don't mean to imply that it's all downhill after 20. The Russians even found that The Blossoming of Strength (this is an actual phrase in Soviet sports science) doesn't occur until 26 at the earliest.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Pokemon Go, dude. My wife hates exercise with blinding fury, but she's been putting in 4-5 miles a day just hunting for 'mons (that's short for Pokemons, f.y.i. ;-D)
Google Play says my circa 2012 Android can't download it, which makes me weep like Jesus's mother. I know a few trails and it's Friday so I will be pounding the pavement this weekend for certain.

Tags
a-1 sound , krush groovin'