The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about sports

Old 07-31-2018, 09:38 AM
feeling mega-good!

Pronouns: her/she (kisses)
Default E3: Eternal Esports Extravaganza

alright so

the description for this subforum mentions esports, and i watch...way too much. of competitive computer games. mainly dota, fighting games, and hearthstone, and occasionally starcraft or counterstrike. but those first three all have huge events coming up or happening right now, in my opinion the most exciting (as a spectator) of the year in each case. i'm loosely aware of what happens in other spheres as well, but i don't know how popular anything is around here so i figured it's probably fine to have one thread for all this watching and discussion. i'd love to hear about overwatch or league of legends if people follow those scenes! and of course, anything else is also cool, i know there's tons of stuff out there i've really never even played and don't know anything about at all

evo is this weekend, and i know a lot of people like my posts, so i'll try to work on that over the next couple days (though i admit i haven't kept up as well this year; i hurt my wrist and haven't played any evo games much, which has hurt my interest in watching the weekly tournaments as actively as before). dota's 8th the international is also next month, and the hearthstone global games is ongoing for several weeks; i might try and write some things about those too. i really think TI in particular is the best event i've seen for any videogame and i'd love to help people enjoy it.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:06 AM
Are You Sure About That?

Pronouns: He/Him/His

I like watching Overwatch/HotS highlight clips sometimes, but that's honestly about it? I feel like esports is on the cusp of actually hitting it big outside the occasional airing of things on ESPN2 or whatever, but a lot of physical sports interest derives from the personality of the players and that's sort of hard to get across when most of the player shots are intent stares at a screen.

Various games' pro leagues that are starting to pop up with actual money and organization behind them is a step in the right direction, but until somebody figures out how to get the players' personalities to shine in an easily readable format to newcomers, the appeal is sort of limited.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:07 AM
feeling mega-good!

I think the best place to start with Evo is talking about Dragon Ball Fighter Z, this year's biggest release by far, and the title with the most entrants at Evo. (In spite of this, the event holds as a Street Fighter-centric one, and that game's top 8 will still close out the finals day.) I'm certainly not surprised, as the collaboration between Bandai Namco and Arc System Works has resulted in a beautiful, loving homage to a popular series, killing it both on character and presentation appeal, and bringing together players from all kinds of fighting game backgrounds. It's even got a strong Japanese scene despite the lack of an arcade release (which often results in few players picking up and sticking with a game), and reached a further crossover audience when the Dota 2-centered organization Beyond the Summit hosted an event; there had been a couple Melee events, but this was the first for a mainstream Evo game.

Shortly after the game's release early this year, one player from America and Japan each pulled far ahead of the rest of the pack. In America, it was Sonicfox, the furry champion of countless Mortal Kombat, Injustice, Skullgirls, and Dead or Alive tournaments, while Japan's front-runner was GO1, a name particularly infamous among players of French-Bread's Melty Blood and other lower-profile "anime" games. (GO1 was also briefly heavily involved with Street Fighter and made top 8 in several tournaments, although with DBFZ in play he seems to be focused on this game to the expense of everything else). With some twitter trash talk leading into their first showdown at Final Round, GO1 dominated the exhibition match, and came out on top in the tournament finals as well despite significant improvements from Sonicfox. GO1's dominating streak continued for the next couple of months, to the point where someone compiled a list of his tournament appearances for the game (both at large US events and his own locals in Japan)and found that he had a record (in individual games) of something like 100 wins and 10 losses, with only one "set" loss.

New York's weeklies also produced another strong player, who goes by Hook Gang God (if you watch NLBC, you're probably already hearing Lee Chung's voice punctuating each word just reading that). He was an avid Persona 4 Arena netplayer before moving onto this game, and became well known for using Piccolo, considered a relatively weak character next to the juggernauts of this game like Kid Buu and Cell. All his work paid off when he came out of the Summit tournament as the champion. Another Piccolo player also made it to the tournament (through vote-ins), ApologyMan, previously most notorious for being the strongest player to use the Firebrand unblockable loop in Marvel vs Capcom 3. He's been working hard in this game and I hope to see him make a splash on the big stage. Of the other American representatives at the Summit, I hope to see KoF champion Reynald and three-time Evo finalist Lord Knight do well.

But to be honest, the Japanese scene has looked dominant in the wake of the Summit, particularly after taking all three top spots at June's CEO event. Aside from GO1, Kazunoko and Dogura both have storied careers in Guilty Gear XX and Street Fighter 4 before this game, while last year's second-placer in Blazblue Fenritti has slowly been refining his methodical and highly polished style from that game to great effect in DBFZ as well. I strongly expect that one of those four will take the tournament, but behind them the rest of the Japanese scene doesn't seem so dominant as to shut out the rest of the world like has happened at some of the previous ASW events at Evo. I guess we'll see!
Old 07-31-2018, 11:16 AM
feeling mega-good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
I like watching Overwatch/HotS highlight clips sometimes, but that's honestly about it? I feel like esports is on the cusp of actually hitting it big outside the occasional airing of things on ESPN2 or whatever, but a lot of physical sports interest derives from the personality of the players and that's sort of hard to get across when most of the player shots are intent stares at a screen.

Various games' pro leagues that are starting to pop up with actual money and organization behind them is a step in the right direction, but until somebody figures out how to get the players' personalities to shine in an easily readable format to newcomers, the appeal is sort of limited.
i think this is something that major parts of the dota scene actually really try to do, although they're not entirely there yet. and while i personally like as a viewer that its scene isn't as reliant on sponsorships it's not exactly good for the game since it creates an insane income disparity between "people who win TI" and "people who don't win TI" and contributes to a lot more match-throwing and stuff like that
Old 07-31-2018, 12:00 PM

I'm really excited for this years EVO. I really wanna see top 8 of BBTAG, Rev 2, even tekken. DBFZ I have a feeling we may have one breakout star, but I'd love to see Chris Greally get his break here. He's been working hard. As for SF5, I'm just hoping for a big upset to make it seem more varied. The top players continue to top.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:57 PM
The Great

I'm excited about Dragon Ball!

Worth mentioning about GO1 is that he hasn't actually won one of the DBFZ World Tour majors yet, despite his dominance in the game and entering both of them so far. CEO went to Kazunoko, and VSFighting went to Sonicfox. Evo isn't a qualifying tournament for this, so he'll still have to win something else down the line to get in the DBFZ version of the Capcom Cup. Evo will still be sweet though.

I also want to mention dekillsage. He's definitely overshadowed by his teammate Sonicfox, but it's cool to see a team with none of Cell/Kid Buu/Bardock/Vegeta in a world where they dominate, and his 16 is pretty fun to watch.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:32 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Pronouns: He/him

I'm quite interested in this; I don't play fighting games, but we tend to watch the major tournaments as my spouse is an old-school Guilty Gear fan, and I like watching SFV and DBZF, and Smash 4 sometimes.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:53 PM
feeling mega-good!

yeah, that's a good call, i really like dekillsage (and most of the skullgirls players. i actually just love watching skullgirls in general, and i think they have a great eye for really "unfair" stuff in other team games, although skullgirls is really over the top even compared to most others).

==========================================

At any rate, with DBFZ as one of the only new games this year, a lot of games are in a similar position as last year, with a handful of players at the highest level competing, essentially, to see who can do best over a given weekend. Street Fighter V in particular has continued to move closer to the SF4 endgame where many top players use multiple characters, with Korea's Infiltration still representing this most strongly between his use of the powerful zoner Menat and mid-ranged Juri (considered quite weak comparatively). He's not the only one making waves with apparent low-tier characters, however, as Justin Wong has spent some time playing one of this year's newer additions, Falke, who's been much derided for the huge hurtboxes on many of her long-range normals, though he too is one of the highest-profile Menat players on the tour, along with Sako, one of the old "gods of Street Fighter". Menat is often seen as one of the more technically demanding characters in the game, thanks to her orb mechanic enabling extremely difficult but powerful combos, and in that sense Wong's play stands out (as he views himself as a weaker player in the execution department), but she's also the most successful character at performing the traditional turtling style that he was well known for before his Rufus and Wolverine play in SF4 and MvC3.

Some previous champions have had a decent year so far, with Tokido's Akuma play nearly winning several tournaments already this year and Nuckledu continuing to make strong showings and occasionally pulling off extremely high placements. Daigo's also had many of his strongest performances in a while with his Guile, although to date he's struggled against some of the more unorthodox characters, and Menat in particular.

Of course, the CPT points aren't everything, since winning a single tournament generally isn't enough to break into the top 10 (meaning that a player has to travel a lot to reach the highest ranks regardless of how good they are). In the end, the 26 highest ranking players will make it in (with four regional qualifiers, one "last-chance", and last years CPT champion MenaRD taking the other six placements in the bracket), so getting a top 8 finish here will secure a lot of players' placements, if not a good seed. I do think MenaRD has had a difficult year, but I'll never rule out a player who's already proven themselves with an underdog character in the biggest tournament of the year.

Of course, nearly every year there's huge upsets and new rising stars, so even if I think most of the top 8 spots are going to go to the same suspects as the other tournaments so far this year, there's sure to be someone I've never even seen play before, who surprises everyone and knocks out multiple top players. In a sense, this almost makes the mid stages of the tournament more exciting than the top 8, though I think the game has started to settle towards a more diverse style where not every match is as rushdown focused as they've been in the past and I'm definitely looking forward to it. Of course I could be wrong and top 8 has six Menats or something, but I want to remain hopeful.

Last edited by spineshark; 08-05-2018 at 10:14 AM.
Old 07-31-2018, 02:23 PM
feeling mega-good!

Speaking of Guilty Gear, I always find this game the hardest to predict. A Japanese player is almost certainly going to win-the skill gap is still pretty large, although it's narrowed a lot-but the big names don't actually come to the US for most of the year. What happens is, Kazunoko and Dogura travel to majors to play Street Fighter (and now DBFZ), and they enter GG because they're around and then win anyway.

(Dogura actually got married earlier this year, and there was a stream of the reception, where he played very drunk matches against Daigo, GO1, and Machaboo in SF5, DBFZ, and Xrd respectively. This was shortly after the patch and he hadn't played Guilty Gear at all, so he was still trying to do Raven setups from the previous version which completely failed in the new one. He's improved since then, but it's clearly not a priority.

He did beat Daigo. Daigo was probably the drunkest person visible on stream.)

Anyway, as far as the Japanese scene goes, there wasn't as amazing a series this year as last year's Tenkaichi Budokai (which Nage's Faust won), although Daigo's "Kemonomichi" showmatch series had an extremely intense grudge match between Machaboo (an Evo runner-up who's become a bit of a heel in the community due to his attitude) and Ogawa (the first Xrd Evo champion, who's also traditionally a heel (because he plays Eddie/Zato) but was the one most people were rooting for in this battle). In the end, Ogawa triumphed, and many Japanese players view Eddie as one of the weakest characters in the current state of the game, but to me Ogawa's shown that he's hungry for another title and he could have a strong comeback after not reaching the top 8 last year. Otherwise, the strongest characters haven't shifted much (even if some of them work differently), and I'd expect to see many of the usual suspects: Summit with Chipp, Tomo as Leo, and of course, Omito defending the title with Johnny. Daru, a Korean player, has been on the rise for the past couple years and at this point is commonly considered the best I-no in the world.

In America the strongest player right now is (in my opinion) Bears, who also plays Chipp, though Kid Viper and PepperySplash have strong Johnnys and Lost Soul and Hotashi remain great Elphelt players. My friend Jamaal (Ryyudo) just won a qualifier for a Red Bull event last weekend and has been the most consistent player in Colorado this year; I hope he can at least make it near the top 8. Teresa, a Japanese Jam player who's started to engage with the English Guilty Gear community and frequently talks shit on twitter, has also been traveling more, and came incredibly close to defeating Daru to win Combo Breaker. He's improved lots since her introduction into the game, and I think he's capable of reaching top 8, although this is an incredibly difficult tournament to win.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:36 PM
feeling mega-good!

Rest of these will probably be shorter.

Blazblue Cross Tag Battle is the other new game on the docket this year, and it's understandably somewhat controversial at that. As I've said for years, Evo is a business and the game choices come heavily down to sponsors; if a publisher wants to use the game being at Evo as a selling point (and it's printed on the box...) then they're going to make a deal. It's actually ahead of several of the other games entrant-wise this year, though, and I'm not really sure what that says.

Anyway, the game itself is extremely divisive, with many people not liking the simplified characters and chaotic flow, though quite a few Persona and Blazblue players have latched on, and I'd say they're ultimately the target audience. SKD, the best BB player in the US, loves it, and frequently praises the systems when he's writing on twitter. Moreover, the game really hasn't had a major showing yet, since it hasn't been placed on the main stage at any event since its release. I've watched the top 8s from events with side tournaments, and the game is very much in the chaotic early phase of team games, where you just can't get matchup experience against everyone and while there are front-runners on the tier list (mostly the main characters from each franchise) it's very likely there will be upsets from extremely unusual teams. Also, there really hasn't been any international competition in this game that I've seen, so it's basically impossible to compare. I can't name many other players to look out for, though I think I heard Chou (Persona 4 Ultimax Evo champion...playing Ken and Koromaru, who worked kind of like this game does...as well as only missing a UMVC3 top 8 by having to fight FChamp and ChrisG in sequence) is coming. If that's true, he's by far my favorite to take it all, just on pedigree.

Tekken 7 has gotten a lot more exciting to watch on the large scale recently. When the game first launched in Japanese arcades, it wasn't available to American players at all outside of setups that Markman (who is essentially the community manager for the game) was able to get Namco to provide to larger events. Slowly it started appearing at the earlier USA Round1 arcades, and now, finally with the console release the American scene is the strongest it's been. Atlanta is the traditional hotbed, and the Final Round tournament there is one of the few (along with Evo) that's consistently seen overseas players, particularly from Korea, travel specifically for the game.

Of those, there's always been a kind of "Big Three": JDCR, Saint, and Knee, with the former two now sponsored by "Echo Fox" (a team who's also signed Sonicfox and Justin Wong for other fighting games). I've been told that the highest-level Korean players maintain a fairly hostile rivalry and truly don't like each other much, though I can't personally speak to how true that is. Still, the American scene has started to see some breakthroughs, with stalwarts like Jimmy Tran (who I believe is from Southern California) and Anakin (from Atlanta) beginning to give those titans a run for their money and even winning sets against them, and Japanese players also increasingly travel with Tekken as their main game.

The biggest story of all, though, was the Tekken World Finals, wrapping up a similar season to the CPT or DBFZ World Tour. A dramatic performance from the Korean player Qudans took the tournament, signaling a return to top-level play after a hiatus from the game for several years owing to health issues (particularly the strain on his body from playing). I'm not sure if he's actually coming, but I think it'll be an exciting tournament either way.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:45 PM
EARTH FOREVER

Earlier I was watching Starcraft 2 GSL vods a lot. The english commentators have talked over....probably many thousands of pro starcraft games at this point, so they wind up going on extremely 38* year old man tangents whenever they find there's nothing to talk about happening in the game. Like about Ghostbusters and shit.

*disclaimer I don't know how old Tasteless and Artosis actually are.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:19 AM
feeling mega-good!

Super Smash Bros. Melee is still Melee. The top four is going to be Hungrybox, Mango, Armada and Mew2King, unless something really weird happens. Leffen has been focusing a lot more on DBFZ so I doubt he'll be the one to shake things up, despite the fact that before this year he was arguably in the prime position to do so.

Hopefully we'll get to see Amsa's Yoshi again, always the highlight of the tournament in my opinion.

Smash 4 is in a bit more of an interesting place, with the dominant player (ZeRo) being more on-and-off than in the past. Last year's champion (Salem) was playing Bayonetta, who I think has been nerfed more, but I don't follow the game closely. MKLeo (who won CEO this year) and Dabuz (maining Rosalina) remain favorites of mine to watch...at least relatively.

Injustice is similarly a game I don't follow closely. Historically the NRS titles have been SonicFox's zone at EVO and countless other tournaments, but last year he fell to 5th place and of course his main game now is DBFZ. Last year's champion, "Dragon", is, as I recall, even younger, and I'm sure has a bright future in the scene. Last year's second-placer "Honeybee" from Canada was fun to watch too, with his...flashy Flash play.

That does it for main games! I'll probably try to highlight some of the side stuff, which has become bigger than ever, once I find out what exactly is being streamed and when...
Old 08-03-2018, 10:06 AM
feeling mega-good!

https://www.twitch.tv/evo main stream, they're repeating the thing from evo japan where this stream switches between games to highlight notable players and introduce people to all the games. good start if you're not sure what you want to watch
https://www.twitch.tv/evo2 is melee. https://www.twitch.tv/evo3 is sm4sh.

https://www.twitch.tv/evo4 has cross tag battle. i hope you like RWBY music

alex valle just beat nuckledu with blanka
Old 08-04-2018, 08:17 PM
feeling mega-good!

https://www.twitch.tv/evo2 windjammers. 7 has fighting layer ex. 4 is xrd leading up to top 8
Old 08-04-2018, 09:21 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

I basically had SFV on in the background and played Octopath for the past two days...

Tomorrow I'm gonna watch GG, get dressed, get lunch with a friend, and then watch some of Tekken/DBFZ/SFV with said friend.

I have a lot of thoughts and I'm excited about some of the stuff that was announced, but I'm gonna wait till everything is done to talk about it. #PleaseLookForwardToIt
Old 08-05-2018, 09:07 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

Actually I lied, I'm gonna do it now while watching GG because the commentators are annoying.

SFV was pretty good so far. Lots of strong matches; Ryusei, a BlazBlue player, almost made it into Top 8, which was bonkers. KBrad had a great run too. Hsien Chang's Juri made it WAY farther than any Juri has a right to, and made props to him for that. Prototype, an Alex main, took out Punk, one of the favorites to make Top 8. For those who don't know, Alex is low tier trash and Punk is super good and playing top tier Cammy. It was GREAT

Standout pools match was Alex Valle versus NuckleDu. Valle was playing Blanka, a mid or low tier character who barely anyone plays, and he completely destroyed Du, one of the favorites to make it into Top 8. It was hilarious, but not QUITE as hype as Valle's Hugo taking out Bonchan in 2015. That match is great, so I'm going to link to it also.

I feel like in general, people don't get as hype for SFV as they did for SFIV, which is a drag. But I still like SF so let's review our Top 8!

Xian, FChamp, and MenaRD all fell just short of Top 8. They all looked completely crushed when they lost and I like all 3 of these guys, so it was rough to see. Xian in particular I really like; he's funny and really nice in interviews and things, and he's a very technical player with great reactions. He won Evo in 2013 with Gen, which is still totally fucking crazy. He's a great player and it's a drag he won't be on the stage tomorrow. We'll come back to this.

Mena won Capcom Cup last year and he's from the Dominican Republic. The Capcom Pro Tour splits up the world into "Regions", and "Latin America" is often derided as the weakest region. The consensus is Asia is #1 and technically superior (specifically Japan, but Korea has been seeing big gains in the form of NL/Verloren/Infiltration), America is wild and crazy, Europe has a chip on it's shoulder, and Latin America sucks. But they don't! There's a lot of strong players in Latin America, and in DR specifically Mena has put in a ton of work trying to build the scene. He has a group of really strong players he plays with and they routinely go to tournaments and wreck shop. Mena's was really pumped to win CapCup obviously, and was really set on getting into Top 8 and fell just short. But we'll revisit this later...

FChamp is a heel and likes to talk shit, especially in Marvel, and he tends to pop off a lot so he's kinda of a divisive figure. But after losses he's always super respectful, and even after the pop offs he always goes back and shakes hands etc. You can tell when he's playing, no matter what it is, that this dude is HUNGRY and wants to win SO BAD and everything stems from that. He's arguably the most passionate fighting game player and I like that about him. He finished at the bottom of Top 8 last year, and it sucks. He plays Dhalsim, a weaker character, and the fact that he's able to do this well with him is impressive as heck. His spacing with Dhalsim's drills is insanely good, and his knowledge of knowing when he can interrupt opponent's strings/pressure with his jab is impressive. He takes risks the other Dhalsims don't, and he's skilled enough to make it work. I hope he makes it back to Top 8 next year!

Anyway, Top 8!

Tokido: you know this guy. Probably the favorite to win, won last year, his Akuma is insane. He's insane. He's one of the best SF players ever. What else is there to say?

Fuudo: past Evo champion, 2nd place in 2016. R.Mika is an insane character, and Fuudo is one of the best. Again, what else is there to say?

Fujimura: aka Yukadon. Top 8 in 2016. His Ibuki is fucking nonsense, and he's the points leader in the Capcom Pro Tour standings.

These three are the favorites to win, for sure. There's not a ton to say about them; Tokido is a God/past Evo champ, Fuudo is a past Evo champ/Evo top 8 regular, Fujimura has done consistently well since SFV came out, all 3 have been in Top 8 in SFV already. They'll be tough to beat. Fujimura is in Losers, FWIW

Gachikun: the "Dark Horse" of the 4 Japanese players, Gachikun is a newer player on the pro scene, but his Rashid is insanely good. Oil King is considered "the" Rashid, but Gachikun is right there with him. He doesn't have the history of the other Japanese players, but he's very solid.

Problem X: this dude...his Bison is ridiculous, his Abigail is ridiculous. He used to play Alex too and I will absolutely die if he busts him out in Top 8. He won't, but GOOD LORD if he did...Anyway, he's probably Europe's best hope, and he's been doing well all year. He's in Winners, and I expect him to finish in Top 4 at least. He's just too good.

Luffy: Luffy won Evo with Rose back in 2014 with an insane set against Bonchan. He's won some SFV tournaments, but his R.Mika is kinda inconsistent. That said, he's looked very strong all Evo weekend. He's in Losers, so he's got his work cut out for him, but stranger things have happened. Still, I don't think he's gonna go too far...

Caba: MenaRD lost, but his buddy Caba sure didn't. His Guile is very strong, but I think his greatest strength is all the energy all of the DR crew are going to give to him. I don't expect him to get too far, but he's not going to make it easy for anyone. This guy is here to FIGHT, he is so hungry that he is HONGWRY

CoolKid: as an Alex main, I became aware of this guy a while back. He (like Problem X) dropped Alex for Abigail, but he plays Rashid too. He's an insanely nice person who puts in a lot of work at locals, online tournaments, and smaller tournaments, mostly because he has to (he's been sponsored before, but only by smaller esports groups so he couldn't travel a lot). No one expected him to do anything, including him (he tweeted that he was originally flying out on Sunday and had to change his flight cuz he made Top 8). But he took out Daigo. He took out Xian to get into Top 8. He took out MenaRD, Capcom Cup champion. He put in some WORK all weekend, and now he's in Top 8. It's bonkers. The only person he's lost to so far is Gachikun, which is a problem since he's in Top 8 Winners. But still, he's had an amazing run.

So yeah. I expect Tokido/Fuudo/Fujimura to win, but we'll see. We'll see...

As far as DBFZ goes, I don't have as much knowledge but I think Kazunoko is gonna do well. Go1 and SonicFox and Fenritti will all be tough too. So...uh, basically my pick is Winners Bracket. But I hope SuperNoon wins. He's one of the "lower tier" people when people talk about strong DBFZ players, and who doesn't love an underdog story?

I'm excited!

Edit: I forgot to talk character diversity! We've got 2 Mikas. We've got 2 Abigails, a character who is universally considered the best grappler (multiple Alex/Zangief mains switched to Gail). One M.Bison, a "mid tier" character. One Guile, one Ibuki, one Rashid. The consensus Top 5 for SFV has Guile, Ibuki, and Akuma in it, but what's interesting here is that there's no Cammy and no Menat at all! The best Cammys/Menats did well, but still. Meanwhile we have two Mikas, a character most people considered "dead" after she was nerfed in Season 2 and two Abigails. Plus a random Bison and former top tier now high or mid tier Rashid in the mix. This is all a welcome change from Season 1's top 8 which had 3 Nashes and 2 Chun Lis...

Last edited by Alixsar; 08-05-2018 at 09:29 AM.
Old 08-05-2018, 02:06 PM
feeling mega-good!

wildest thing that happened in guilty gear was still my friend having to fight 'waxl' in top 32 on stream and losing

mike ross is not a fraud
Old 08-05-2018, 02:18 PM
Vigilante All-Star

Pronouns: He / Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post

CoolKid: as an Alex main, I became aware of this guy a while back. He (like Problem X) dropped Alex for Abigail, but he plays Rashid too. He's an insanely nice person who puts in a lot of work at locals, online tournaments, and smaller tournaments, mostly because he has to (he's been sponsored before, but only by smaller esports groups so he couldn't travel a lot). No one expected him to do anything, including him (he tweeted that he was originally flying out on Sunday and had to change his flight cuz he made Top 8). But he took out Daigo. He took out Xian to get into Top 8. He took out MenaRD, Capcom Cup champion. He put in some WORK all weekend, and now he's in Top 8. It's bonkers. The only person he's lost to so far is Gachikun, which is a problem since he's in Top 8 Winners. But still, he's had an amazing run.
Oh, so, Coolkid is a local (Chicago area) for me, and EVO has spared y'all from the most annoying part of seeing him play on stream: His extremely loud wife.
Old 08-05-2018, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spineshark View Post
wildest thing that happened in guilty gear was still my friend having to fight 'waxl' in top 32 on stream and losing

mike ross is not a fraud
Mike Ross coming out of left field, under an unknown name, and playing a game he's not known for getting 17th was incredible. Probably my favorite moment.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:55 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventrue View Post
Mike Ross coming out of left field, under an unknown name, and playing a game he's not known for getting 17th was incredible. Probably my favorite moment.
Mike Ross is the realest of the real. I miss back when Excellent Adventures and Capcom Pro Talk were things that existed because I enjoyed them, but I totally get it and respect his decision to back off.

DBFZ was great, but DAMN it took forever. A lot of the matches were 2-0 or 3-0 too; it could've gone on EVEN MORE. The decision to make it like Tekken and only Losers/Winners/Grand Finals are best of 5 seems like a good one, but still. More character variety would help a lot too, so we'll see what the upcoming patch does. I watched hockey and sometimes the goalie will fake an equipment problem (thus stopping the game for a few minutes) to steal some momentum from the other team, and I feel like SonicFox was unintentionally doing that with his "oh should we switch sides" stuff. He still earned it but I think it helped steal some thunder from Go1.

Also someone did the math and there were 8 minutes of Bardock level 3 super during top 8. EIGHT. MINUTES.

As far as SFV goes, HOLY SHIT Problem X. That dude played super well all weekend, but Top 8 was really something. Tokido looked rough initially but getting himself into Losers bracket woke him up something fierce. Until the bracket reset, I thought he was gonna do it again, but Problem X pretty much dominated that last set. Unfortunately, CoolKid and Caba both had moments of brillance but ultimately looked kinda lost and overwhelmed. Which no judgments or anything; it's super intimidating being in Evo Top 8. It's just unfortunate.

Mad props to Problem X for making it with Bison, but also now I'm kinda annoyed because we have to deal with Logan-sama never shutting the fuck up for the next year. Ah well, what can you do?

Legitimately though, the Evo and Capcom Cup champions for SFV have been from: Korea, USA, Japan, Dominican Republic, and now England. Obviously there's lots of players from all over the world finishing in high spots in every big tournament, but it's cool that at the truly highest levels each CPT "region" has had success so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot.EXE View Post
Oh, so, Coolkid is a local (Chicago area) for me, and EVO has spared y'all from the most annoying part of seeing him play on stream: His extremely loud wife.
Yeah they've shown her on stream before at other tournaments. I'm surprised they didn't during the Evo stream...
Old 08-06-2018, 11:14 AM
feeling mega-good!

dbfz is a ridiculously long-running game, hahahaha. putting it on the same finals day as melee, tekken, and sf5 is true madness

melee top 8 was honestly the best i've ever seen though. surely still not to many peoples' taste, but honestly really exciting and surprising results overall
Old 08-06-2018, 02:27 PM
gatchapon 3*

Pronouns: he/him

I stopped watching after fuudo scammed tokido in the first round with that costume bullshit. Also because I was exhausted and my data plan ran out. Glad to see my dude made it back to finals.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:55 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

I don't follow FGC closely at all so this is a decade late to the party, but I was delighted to look up who this guy was doing incredibly entertaining commentary for the DBZ matches and find out that it was the same guy from the classic you're so pringles it's marvel baby video.

FWIW, I was watching this when I started to look up more on Yipes:

I can imagine that people broadly interesting in the FGC might find DBZ to take forever, but as an outsider I honestly find the pace to make it incredibly watchable. It has a much lower bar to entry as a spectator event, precisely because it takes its sweet time with lavishly animated super attacks you'll see over and over.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:01 AM
O tempora! O morays!

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
Oh, man. Pringles. I knew my "wombo combos snack mix" was missing something.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:53 PM
feeling mega-good!

dfbz objectively has the longest matches to play out of any headlining tournament game since cvs2 was big. that's not in itself a bad thing at all, though it largely derives from the game's pacing (particularly the heavy emphasis on tags) which i don't exactly love. i think it's absolutely a great game for people who aren't immersed in the whole scene, since it really cuts back on the heavy momentum factor that i know lots of people never loved about marvel 3 (not to mention the assists don't cause nearly as much chaos as they often do in marvel).

and it's certainly a popular game in the community as well, i just think that people who've been to evo and watched for a long time do tend to enjoy the more bullshitty games more than people who haven't